LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Activism » My LLMD says the IDSA issue is really an insurance co issue

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My LLMD says the IDSA issue is really an insurance co issue
Dekrator48
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dekrator48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone,

My LLMD told me that he doesn't think the root of the controversy is really about long term antibiotics...it's about insurance companies not wanting to reimburse Dr's and patients for long term treatment.

If insurance companies would reimburse, I bet Dr's would provide the Rx.

Of course, it's like...what needs to come first? the IDSA saying that long term Rx is necessary, or insurance co's expanding their policies for reimbursement?

My LLMD said to remember that Dr's have been prescribing long term (5 years) antibiotics for years for acne.

He made a very good point.

Maybe alot of pressure should also be directed to insurance companies

--------------------
The fibromyalgia I've had for 32 years was an undiagnosed Lyme symptom.

"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". -Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 6076 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dek, good point.

however, unless we get the CDC to change their online site saying they recoginize IDSA's 06 lyme guidelines; that's how the insurance companies GOT OUT OF REIMBURSING OUR DRS/TREATMENTS/LABS/MEDS, ETC.

that's the way i have understood it anyway; i may be wrong, and please correct me if i am...thanks!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BG said.. "unless we get the CDC to change their online site saying they recoginize IDSA's 06 lyme guidelines.."

Go look at the site now BG. You'll like it.

Hard work by those in the background has finally paid off... and it was a tuff one!

Also it is another example of how the plans behind the scenes are made to feed off each other. Never is just ONE thing being worked on for us. It is a bunch of things always ongoing.

Anyhow...

The CDC has finally removed their endorsement of the IDSA guidelines!

They also .. to the dismay of the IDSA... added a disclaimer to the effect the IDSA guidelines are not part of what the CDC endorses... blah blah blah.

And they slung the guidelines off their site and stuck them on a separate link.

So they are no longer directly on the CDC site! YIPPEE!!!

I heard the IDSA (the boys with the stinky pants) are NOT happy!

HA!

Three cheers for those who worked hard to get 'er done!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
D said..

"Maybe alot of pressure should also be directed to insurance companies."

I agree! The whole system stinks in my opinion. BUT.. the fight is overwhelming to ay the least.

Picture the Atlantic Ocean.

Now picture a grain of sand.

Guess which one we are?

This isn't even a case of one day being the windshield and one day being the bug.

If we wiped all insurance off the planet.. the planet would collapse.

BUT.. we do keep going with the chip chip here, chip chip there routine.

Some we get help for... some we can't.

That is one reason why we need many many more advocates working together toward a unified goal.

There are ENORMOUS odds stacked against us... TONS of money behind those fighting us... and CORRUPTION amungo!

But we won't go away!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dekrator48
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dekrator48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for your replies! I totally agree, it seems like an overwhelming fight with the insurance co's.

I believe however that change is possible. Too bad we don't have a celebrity spokesperson to bring attention to our plight.

--------------------
The fibromyalgia I've had for 32 years was an undiagnosed Lyme symptom.

"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". -Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 6076 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
abigail
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abigail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doctors in general are not prescribing abx. This is because abx breed resistant bugs. By not prescribing abx, the population of resistant bugs decreases (they know all this.) Abx are now to be reserved for only those who will die without them. Of course, I think, this is us, so I don't know what their freaking problem is. Perhaps knowing that prescribing abx is a bad thing in today's bacterial climate, they have decided that we're better off dead as far as the whole is concerned.

--------------------
Dying is easy. Living is harder.

Posts: 257 | From owensboro kentucky | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mushroomman06
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13088

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mushroomman06     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We are only a number! A massive number.

If only we could mass.

Someday

Posts: 108 | From maryland | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

tc, yes, i'll have to check that out!!! YIPPEE!

did this just occur as no one has said anything here about this MAJOR VICTORY for chroinc lyme patients!!

THANKS TO ALL THE BEHIND PEOPLE WHO TOOK ON THIS MONUMENTAL TASK TO GET CDC TO CHANGE THEIR SITE!!

yes, now it's time to fight the insurance companies since they used CDC to refuse reimbursements to us! [toilet] [tsk] [cussing]

adamm
Unregistered

I see it differently. When treatment is withheld, the insurance companies, on the whole, wind up paying much more in the coverage of meds for MS, ALS, Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, Schizophrenia , Bi-Polar DIsorder, ADD, Fibro, CFS, Thyroid Disorders, etc.

I think the coverup is more likely related to this:

lyme-rage.info

[ 02-25-2009, 03:56 PM: Message edited by: adamm ]

Need Lots of Help
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18603

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Need Lots of Help     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But, they will give antiboitics to cows and chickens we eat, so we still get them indirectly.

So, really they are only with-holding them when we are really sick.

Adaamm, I agree that they pay more in the long term, but it is all about saving a few dollars today. They pay the insurance reps. money and bonuses for "not paying" claims.

The less claims they pay, they more bonus money they get.

Anyways, I get really upset when I think of how long I have been sick and how much money they could have saved over the last 28 years.....

Cheers,
Shalome

Posts: 893 | From Florida | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement