LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Activism » Scientific Evidence on Lyme Rage

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Scientific Evidence on Lyme Rage
KrisKraft
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4329

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KrisKraft     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On this subject, you might be interested in my new blogs:

Scientific evidence for ``Lyme Rage''
http://underourskin.com/blog/?p=148

Chronic Lyme: Real or imaginary?
http://underourskin.com/blog/?p=137

--------------------
KrisKraft
www.lymediseasefilm.com

Posts: 245 | From Palo Alto, CA USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeout
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8045

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why are Fallon and others not speaking out? If we sit quietly and allow this to go off the radar, we may not get another chance to capture the public's attention. I'm puzzled by this.
Posts: 422 | From Herndon, Virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lakes592
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18905

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lakes592     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree, I think we need to pay careful attention to all opportunities that present themselves. I have said before let's counter attack or better yet beat them to the punch.

--------------------
If you keep doing nothing...nothing changes!

www.underourskin.com

Posts: 579 | From NH | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was wondering the same thing. Shapiro, Wormser, et al, have certainly voiced their opinion where every they could. I think at this point the opportunity has been missed.

The only journalist who wrote a pro- lyme article about the incident is here:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/greg-mitchell/ticking-time-bomb-literal_b_173140.html#postComment

Many have left him comments. May be he will pursue the subject further. I recognize several from Lymenet who have posted and other groups.

Please add your comments, if you feel so inclined.
At least he understands the illness.

Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
kris,

i attempted to read both of your blogs on UOS site, but with your using quotes, it is LIGHT colored, and not visible for my low vision, lyme effected eyesight. so i had to stop.

any chance you could show " " and NORMAL print which is legible vs. italysis?

just a suggestion from a chronic lyme neuro patient with 39 yrs. chronic lyme; 34.5 yrs. misdiagnosed by 40-50 drs.

thanks for your consideration kris! xox

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeloco
Unregistered

http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/abstract/151/11/1571
bettyg
Unregistered

ABX, below is what i just posted on HUNTINGTON post; there is 250 WORD MAXIMUM, and i first surpassed it by 857 words since i showed ALL the lyme symptoms!!

abox, LDFoundation is also the IDSA of lyme; fyi!! so please use ILADS links of info for your future posts ok. we thank you. xox

Abxnomore
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Betty thanks for posting. I hope more people do.

I know those word limits can drive you nuts. We

have so much to say. It took me several attempts,

too.

The American Lyme Disease Foundation is the IDSA

of Lyme not the LDF. The ALDF is where all the

ducks are. Check out the scientific advisers

of the Lyme Disease Foundation and

will you will see many Lyme friendly

names. I may be wrong but having been a part of

the Lyme community since l999 this has always

been my understanding. Their symptom list very

clearly illustrated my point.

[ 03-13-2009, 09:39 AM: Message edited by: Abxnomore ]

Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

abx, thanks for your additional comments! would you believe i woke up early this am after a late am here.

so i went to read more of pj's THE BAKER'S DOZEN/IDSA book, and just reached THAT info this morning where she outlined all the ducks on board of ALDF; i didn't realize they were 2 different entities.

haven't gotten to her ldf info yet; i struggle reading since it's SMALL PRINT and no double spacing between paragraphs ... not good for a LOW vision, neuro patient like me.

thanks for educating ME; i thank you!! xox

bettyg
Unregistered

loco's link ... i copied below for neuro lyme patients like me... breaking it up as necessary for neuros so we can comprehend/read since we can not read long, solid block text! bettyg

Am J Psychiatry 1994; 151:1571-1583

Copyright � 1994
by American Psychiatric Association

SPECIAL ARTICLES

Lyme disease: a neuropsychiatric illness

BA Fallon and JA Nields
Department of Psychiatry, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University, New York.

OBJECTIVE:

Lyme disease is a multisystemic illness that can affect the central nervous system (CNS), causing neurologic and psychiatric symptoms.

The goal of this article is to familiarize psychiatrists with this spirochetal illness.

METHOD:

Relevant books, articles, and abstracts from academic conferences were perused, and additional articles were located through computerized searches and reference sections from published articles.

RESULTS:

Up to 40% of patients with Lyme disease develop neurologic involvement of either the peripheral or central nervous system.

Dissemination to the CNS can occur within the first few weeks after skin infection.

Like syphilis, Lyme disease may have a latency period of months to years before symptoms of late infection emerge.

Early signs include

meningitis, encephalitis, cranial neuritis, and radiculoneuropathies.

Later, encephalomyelitis and encephalopathy may occur.

A broad range of psychiatric reactions have been associated with Lyme disease including

paranoia, dementia, schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, panic attacks, major depression, anorexia nervosa, and obsessive-compulsive disorder.

Depressive states among patients with late Lyme disease are fairly common, ranging across studies from 26% to 66%.

The microbiology of Borrelia burgdorferi sheds light on why Lyme disease can be relapsing and remitting and why it can be refractory to normal immune surveillance and standard antibiotic regimens.

CONCLUSIONS:

Psychiatrists who work in endemic areas need to include Lyme disease in the differential diagnosis of any atypical psychiatric disorder.

Further research is needed to identify better laboratory tests and to determine the appropriate manner (intravenous or oral) and length (weeks or months) of treatment among patients with neuropsychiatric involvement.

thanks loco; very informative! xox

Abxnomore
Member # 18936

sounds like a good read Betty. I get a lot of things mixed up but not that duck organization...LOL
[Big Grin]

nomoremuscles
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9560

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nomoremuscles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah. I agree. The echoing silence of Fallon is troubling.

What's going on?

(Maybe something is going on behind the scenes that I don't know about)

Posts: 845 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
recovering
Member # 19210

Icon 1 posted      Profile for recovering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nomoremuscles:
Yeah. I agree. The echoing silence of Fallon is troubling.

What's going on?

(Maybe something is going on behind the scenes that I don't know about)

Posts: 2 | From middle'o nowhere | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement