LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Activism » Infuriating Letter to Hartford Courant from Lawrence Zemel, M.D.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Infuriating Letter to Hartford Courant from Lawrence Zemel, M.D.
Tracy9
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Courant.com

YOUR VIEW: LAWRENCE ZEMEL

Law Would Allow Risky Treatment For Lyme Disease

June 19, 2009

The General Assembly passed an ill-considered bill concerning the treatment of Lyme disease, which Gov. M. Jodi Rell should veto.

Under the measure endorsed by state legislators, state physicians would be allowed to prescribe antibiotics for indefinite periods of time for Lyme disease, with no oversight by the state Department of Health.

As a physician, I know long-term antibiotic treatment is dangerous. These are not harmless drugs and should not be administered for months, let alone years.

There has been at least one documented death from prolonged intravenous antibiotics, but never a documented death from Lyme disease.

The bill's advocates say it's about protecting patients, but unfortunately, the bill does more to protect physicians who practice substandard care.

Long-term antibiotic therapy increases the risk of creating super-bacteria: germs that are becoming resistant to currently available medications because of overuse of antibiotics.

An example is Methicillin-resistant staph aureaus, also know as MRSA, which is a dangerous form of bacteria created, in part, by our abuse of antibiotics.

There is no question that Lyme disease is a major health problem, and that Connecticut is at the epicenter of this tick-borne illness.

There are standard ways to diagnose Lyme disease, usually by observing the characteristic rash or, when that is not present, combining clinical and laboratory findings.

Once a diagnosis of Lyme disease is made, antibiotics are prescribed, and the majority of patients with Lyme disease respond to treatment with two to four weeks of oral antibiotics.

And yet, there are many patients who think they have Lyme disease, but are not responding to standard courses of antibiotics.

Most of these non-responders probably do not have Lyme disease, and will not respond to treatment for their medically unexplained symptoms.

Why do some patients believe prolonged antibiotic therapy improved or eliminated their symptoms? For many, their symptoms are self-limited, and their improvement has nothing to do with their treatment.

For others, the antibiotics may have anti-inflammatory effects, like ibuprofen. And for some there is a strong placebo effect: If they think they will get better (and pay dearly), then they do.

These patients are often described as "sero-negative" Lyme patients. Tests done by university and qualified commercial laboratories are negative, but when sent to an out-of-state "specialty" lab, the tests are positive.

This lab has been cited by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Food and Drug Administration for poor quality control and the use of diagnostic criteria that differs from federal standards.

Interestingly, the small group of "Lyme-literate" physicians who are promoted by unfiltered and medically inaccurate Internet sites use this laboratory almost exclusively.

The Infectious Diseases Society of America carefully examined some of these questions and published its 2006 guidelines on the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of Lyme disease.

The authors examined 405 scientific studies in drawing conclusions, including three studies that specifically looked at whether long-term antibiotics worked in bona fide Lyme patients with chronic complaints.

The society concluded that long-term antibiotics were no more effective than a placebo, could actually do more harm than good, and were not recommended.

This bill should be vetoed to protect the public from misinformed advice.

*Lawrence Zemel, M.D., is a professor of pediatrics at the University of Connecticut Health Center.

Copyright � 2009, The Hartford Courant

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.courant.com/news/opinion/editorials/hc-zemel-lyme-disease.artjun19,0,5257058.story

Get those comments up there.....

--------------------

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems like such a losing battle. [Frown] All the docs just hate us so much. THey reiterate the exact same wording repeatedly out of the NEJM article in '07. It's like they want Lyme patients exterminated and think we're all complete mental whackcases. Why such pure hatred? Do you think murderers are hated so much by this profession, seriously?

How the hell can you continue to reference ONE (yes ONE) death from IV Abx in every rebuttal letter. How many have physicians killed in ER settings by a misdiagnosis/improper treatment plan that we even know about? The public obviously doesn't care either as even someone with 1/4 a working brain could see their ignorance if conparing rebuttal responses across different places. It's mirrored language/propaganda/insults. LLMDs are portrayed as the devil himself in these articles.

Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pryorka
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pryorka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These doctors are greedy and very rich. They get tons of money from bribes and have huge vested interests in other corporations that benefit from us suffering till our death. I don't know how these doctors sleep at night and maybe they don't, but my point is... some people are just evil and they just don't care. In a free market health care system with no checks and balances such as ours these things happen. Friends of mine in other countries can't believe how corrupt it is, even worse they can't believe everyone here doesn't want a public system. Hopefully things will get to being fixed soon.
Posts: 499 | From Indiana | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ticked-offinNc
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ticked-offinNc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very easy to comment.Dont even need to register.

So no excuses not to write!xoxox

Posts: 261 | From Piedmont | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
VOTE ON EACH COMMENT THERE PLEASE!!

easy to do; i'm reading/judging all 25-28 replies then will write my own feedback on the HOG WASH LETTER ABOVE! thanks all [Smile] xox

it's getting close to D day....gov. signing, vetoing, etc!

i called a little while ago; "should be happening soon on decision; call DAILY; keep watch on newspapers"!

i got the nice woman today...
-

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

i just read a wonderful rebuttal from our own tracy; OUTSTANDING LADY! hugs

just noticed the 1st 2 replies posted were DELETED!! they must have really told it like it is to that dr!!

outstanding to randy sykes w/all the links & comments per link!! RANDY ROCKS WITH ACCURATE INFO!!

michael springfield ... brilliant & including pubmed articles, etc. too MIKE...YOU ARE NO. 1 IN MY LYME BOOK!! xoxox [Wink]

grandma, OUTSTANDING; just what what would be in part of my own comments! great minds think alike!! PAT YOURSELF ON THE BACK AND TAKE A BOW! [Smile] XOX

MARGIE...great writing; why isn't contact to contact being discussed? wonderful [Smile] xox

PICC ROCKS! so many witty things in yours; can't remember them all so will just say ... WELL DONE PICC! xoxox

indiana laura ... BRILLIANT!! way to put Z on the spot and about him being REPRIMANDED just made me laugh; still laughing now!! xoxox

conn. marion!! marvelous; meaningful and you got down to the bottom line of it all!!! outstanding also asking if gov rell LISTENED TO CONN'S LYME PATIENTS TESTIFYING BEFORE YOUR LEGISLATURE!!! brilliant xoxox [Smile]

bettyg
Unregistered

christopher montes, thanks for writing from your perspective as a DR., and glad you told about Z being reprimanded, etc. with your example as well [Smile] xox

vermont isabel; love it; we want equal time for LLMDS vs. the idsa HOG WASH!!! BRILLIANT! xoxox

lydia, great personal story as a professional & how it has affected your life & young daughters! many great things you touched on there! best wishes & hang in there. BRILLIANT! [Smile] XOXOX

dawn, BRILLIANT! "Dr. Zemel, you need to get your facts straight about Lyme Disease before you start running your mouth! " XOXOX

geri, great summary of you can use abx for ACNE but not lyme and your being in a wheelchair!! so touching! xoxox [Smile]

36 replies so far and mine BELOW....

no. 37

Gov. Rell, PLEASE sign Conn's LYME bill helping all your lyme/co-infection constituents WHO VOTED YOU IN BECAUSE YOU WERE THE "BEST" PERSON FOR THE JOB MAKING DIFFICULT & "FAIR" DECISIONS!

Nationwide, you have our deepest gratitude that the Conn. legislature was wise enough to DEAL with this God-awful Lyme/co-infections and HELP their patients get QUALITY OF LIFE BACK!

God bless you for signing SOON our LYME bill! [Smile] xox

Dr. Z,

Everyone has given you brilliant, touching, 1st hand experience, and MEDICAL pubmed & other "recogonized" medical journal links DISPUTING your letters in the posted letter!

Well done to all my chronic lyme/co-infection peers!

Each of you gave brilliant examples proving Z wrong.

I've had chronic lyme for 39.5 years; 34.5 years MISDIAGNOSED BY 40-50 MDS! UNACCEPTABLE!

I never had the bulls-eye rash; didn't see that nasty tick that did this all to me!!

SO LITTLE and such a devastating & debilitating disease that sucker carried with him.

God bless the IGENEX lyme diagnostic lab in Palo Alto, Calif. for having sophisticated equipment to test all the 15 protein bands, which other labs mentioned in Z's letter DO NOT HAVE!

It's because of my being positive on my western blot igm & igg and my primary dr. of 27 years CLINICALLY diagnosing me that I finally have a CORRECT DIAGNOSIS!!

Why 34.5 years to get this correct? HOG WASH

Why isn't your equipment up to the HIGHEST level possible like Igenex's is? Shame on you.

I could go on & on, but what I've read above PROVES it over & over.

CHRONIC LYME EXISTS & MUST BE TREATED LONG TERM since the IDSA failed to treat long enough & strong enough antibiotics.

Hog wash to the IDSA for their failure to NOT cure this illness promptly, and wasting time arguing vs. PURSUING A "CURE & REMISSION"!!

BettyG,
Iowa lyme activist

bettyg
Unregistered

i'm 48 now....canada is now posting too!

Laurie Blair touched on a good subject, SSDI, SS Disability Insurance, benefits for those of us who were either fired, had to quit, or retire early due to our NOT being able to physically & cognitively be able to continue doing our jobs to the best of our abilities!

It took me 5 years of HELL to be approved for SSDI on my 2nd claim! UNACCEPTABLE.

IF DRS. WOULD HAVE DIAGNOSED ME PROMPTLY & CORRECTLY:

I could have either been cured at the beginning of this debilitiating disease or at least by now be in REMISSION with the hopes it will NEVER RETURN to me!!

I would have been able to continue working, saving for our retirement "golden" years without worrying where $$ will come from.

I'm lucky; my husband RETIRED W/FULL BENEFITS INCLUDING HEALTH INSURANCE or I would have been penalized with NONE after working 30 yrs. 7 months & leaving work at age 49!!

So again, a brief summary: had I been correctly/promptly diagnosed with lyme & given antibiotics LONG ENOUGH to cure me; I would NOT be on SSDI benefits now saving money for the govt. to pay me now.

Other families IF given the same scenario I just gave would have:

a good marriage..not be divorced now; have custody of their kids; would NOT be ostracized by family/friends who go along with the ILL-INFORMED drs. of "it's all in your head" diagnosis; would NOT be bankrupt, homeless, and would NOT HAVE COMMITED SUICIDE since they got PROMPT & LONG ENOUGH ABX TREATMENT!!

Shame shame on the IDSA drs. for allowing this to keeping happening over & over instead of IDSA & ILADS DRS. WORKING TOGETHER AS "ONE TEAM" helping US, the chronic lyme/co-infection patients!!

Where is the justice in this?

Gov. Rell ... YOU can prevent everything I address in the above paragraphs!

PLEASE SIGN the lyme bill TODAY; don't wait another day.

Please give us our HAPPINESS to know REMISSION can be in the near FUTURE for us all!

God bless you Gov. Rell for listening to all of us; even those of us OUT of state like me in Iowa. [Smile] xox

BettyG
Iowa lyme activist

[QUOTE who="Laurie Blair"]
1998: Patient finally has to quit her part time job at a library.

Very sadly, patient has to apply for Social Security in her 40's. [/QUOTE]

paulieinct
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for paulieinct     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by seekhelp:
It seems like such a losing battle. [Frown] All the docs just hate us so much.

seekhelp: It's not a losing battle. We are actually winning. Everything is coming to a head, and it all looks very ugly.

But the enormity of this pandemic can no longer be ignored. The UNANIMOUS vote in both houses of the CT legislature, the support of the SEVEN-THOUSAND MEMBER Ct Medical Society, means eventually we will prevail.

There will be roadblocks, for sure. But truth and science will always win out in the end. Everyone must persevere, and do whatever they can, within the limits of their illness, to help the cause go forward.

Keep the faith.

--------------------
Sick since at least age 6, now 67. Decades of misdiagnosis. Numerous arthritic, neuro, psych, vision, cardiac symptoms. Been treating for 7 years, incl 8 mos on IV. Bart was missed so now treating that.

Posts: 765 | From nw ct | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Member # 7521

Betty, thank you for taking the time to praise us all for our comments! Great job all around!

--------------------

bettyg
Unregistered

please JUDGE his, no. 62! disagree, mean, clueless

GARY WORMSER'S ATTACK ON ME !! SLANDER!!
[cussing] [toilet]

members,

i'd also appreciate some MORAL support right now by your leaving a short message on this ongoing saga!

i've never been called this in my life and i DESPISE WHAT HE SAID. 24/7 LIAR!! HOG WASH at its best.
my reply, no. 77 just now....

gary,
my you have lived up to your nickname of "the WORM"! how appropriate for you. MUDSLINGING, NAME-CALLING .. HOGWASH!

it's drs. like YOU who have caused me to be physically sick for 39.5 yrs!

i resent your INNUENDO; well, i guess "it takes ONE, TO KNOW ONE"! now we know where you fit in.

i'm surprised the editors PRINTED your vicious post with SLANDER towards me!

worm, you are not worth another word from me! PU.

bettyg, iowa lyme activist

[QUOTE who="Gary Wormser"]

I have read all your sob stories. And, I feel badly for you, but the reality is that, while you may be "ill", it is most certainly not with "chronic lyme disease."

Medicine is not driven by case reports or anecdotal stories. Rather, we follow evidence based medicine, not influenced by emotion or bias.

And, every randomized blinded patient study has failed to demonstrate any lasting benefit to long term antibiotics for "chronic lyme disease."

"LLMDS" are the lowest of the low.

These, often poorly educated physicians, have sold out the medical system to make a buck (or a couple hundred thousand) by treatment the naive and vulnerable with potential risk therapies.

And, finally, BettyG is just plain psycho.

This woman claims to have had chronic lyme disease for what, I think 40 years? There is absolutely NO precedent for that type of infection at all.

SHe posts an AVERAGE of 20 posts a day on lymenut and has the energy to seemingly be very productive, and active, but is very vocal about how she lives off her disability income.

Her life REVOLVES around this supposed illness. She is obsessed with it.
Seems like all the trademarks of a psychotic disease...

Gary Wormser, MD[/QUOTE]

go get em lymenet members!! make him eat crow or shall we just say any tick!! [tsk] [puke]

paulieinct
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for paulieinct     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BettyG:

The fact that he singled you out for slander speaks to the enormous effort you have expended on behalf of Lyme patients. Keep up the good work. We all appreciate your "over the top" efforts. He is truly a worm, pure slime from the bowels of the earth.

[ 06-20-2009, 11:41 PM: Message edited by: paulieinct ]

--------------------
Sick since at least age 6, now 67. Decades of misdiagnosis. Numerous arthritic, neuro, psych, vision, cardiac symptoms. Been treating for 7 years, incl 8 mos on IV. Bart was missed so now treating that.

Posts: 765 | From nw ct | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymemomtooo
Member # 5396

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymemomtooo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Betty, just remember, worms, like snakes, crawl in the dirt and some eat $&*^. Think he is pretty full by now.

Keep up the good work and be strong. I agree with others, he is after you because he and others know you are winning this battle and they are running afraid of loosing prestiege and insurance or grant money.

I am not a dr so I can only speak as a mom in the trenches that has almost lost her daughter over 19 times now, due to Psychiatric Lyme Disease. Probably something else they say doesn't exist. lmt

Posts: 2360 | From SE PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymebytes
Member # 11830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymebytes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LLMd's - poorly educated??? Has he seen Dr. S Curriculum Vitae? It would BLOW Wormer's education to bits!

He is a tired old man, who is likely PAID to keep lyme hush-hush.

This ridiculous, childish response of his shows he likely has Lyme Disease, the rage and psychotic nature of the letter shows he is cracking and should get on IV abx immediately. Lyme rage is so obvious here.

We love you BettyG..congratulations for "getting to him" so badly he just had to respond, like a 3 year old of course.

(For those interested in reading a "poorly educated" LLMd's Curriculum Vitae, click here: http://www.usmamed.com/00resources/htm/cv.htm )

--------------------
www.truthaboutlymedisease.com

Posts: 2003 | From endemic area | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lakes592
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18905

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lakes592     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is so very sad to read. To the point that I, who am sick with Lyme, actually feel more sorry for him then myself...

I can guarantee you it is not fun to be him. I'd bet money that it is a sad, lonely and very shallow existence.

Very unfortunate that someone with power chooses to waste it and do nothing good with it.

--------------------
If you keep doing nothing...nothing changes!

www.underourskin.com

Posts: 579 | From NH | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

to all who replied above, a heartfelt thanks for your comments and those of you who went online to the courtant newspaper article and posted there as well as voted for our comments.

i've been working on several things, and trying to get ready to honor hubby tomorrow on DAD'S DAY!!

again, THANK YOU to all above & on the other posts who gave ME needed support when i was dealt a low blow !! [Smile] [group hug] [kiss]

Tracy9
Member # 7521

Happy Day!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------

kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Copy and pasted article here. Thanks Grandmother for the URL.

I think it would be good to write a comment thanking her also!!

Governor M. Jodi Rell said Sunday she has signed a bill allowing doctors to prescribe long-term antibiotics in the treatment of persistent Lyme disease - outside of standard guidelines - without fear of sanctions from state health regulators if the patient's clinical diagnosis of the tick-borne disease and treatment have been documented by a licensed physician.

``Doctors in Connecticut - the absolute epicenter of Lyme disease - can continue to do what is best for their patients suffering from this complex illness.

I think most people know someone who has been infected,'' Governor Rell said. ``The bill also recognizes that Lyme disease patients must have the freedom to choose which remedy or regimen best meets their needs.''

The disease gets its name from the shoreline town of Lyme, Connecticut, where in 1975 a cluster of children and adults there experienced uncommon arthritic symptoms Caused by the bacterium Borrelia burgdorferi,

Lyme disease is spread through the bite of infected deer ticks.

Symptoms include a rash, fatigue, headache, fever, and achy muscles and joints.

Later symptoms may include arthritis, neurological problems, and heart problems.

House Bill 6200, which gained broad bipartisan support in the Legislature, was prompted by an ongoing debate in the medical community.

Some health organizations have questioned the existence of chronic Lyme disease and the Infectious Diseases Society of America (IDSA) has cautioned against the long-term use of antibiotics.

Some physicians were hesitant to treat patients outside the IDSA guidelines because of potential reprimands from medical boards and insurance companies.

``Doctors will have the right to use treatment guidelines based on their clinical experience and best medical judgment,'' Governor Rell said. ``This bill does not, however, shield any physician who provides substandard care.'' ShareThis

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
paulieinct
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17514

My letter to Gov. Rell:

Thank you Governor Rell, on behalf of tens of thousands of Lyme sufferers and their families, for signing the Lyme Bill into law.

It shows you are an enlightened, intelligent, compassionate person, who is able to see through the smoke screens of corrupt and ignorant so-called "experts".

These "experts" have been responsible for the horrific suffering of many, in what can only be described as a public health disaster.

With this law, I believe we will now see more doctors willing to treat Lyme, doctors that accept insurance, and who aren't afraid to continue treatment until the patient is well.

I hope you will now consider replacing your Public Health Commissioner Dr. Galvin, who fought tooth and nail against this bill. His management of the Lyme pandemic in this State has been disastrous.

Thank you again for signing this bill.

--------------------

bettyg
Unregistered

good one paulie! [Smile] xox
AmyPW8
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11504

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AmyPW8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BettyG...WE LOVE YOU!

--------------------
Amy

Diagnosed April 29, 2007.

Posts: 136 | From Joplin, MO | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
paulieinct
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17514

My letter to UCONN President Hogan (Zemel works at UCONN Health Center):

To: [email protected]

Cc: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]

Subject: Dr. Zemel's Op-Ed piece in Htfd. Courant against Lyme Bill

Date: Wednesday, June 24, 2009 3:22 PM

TO: UCONN President Michael J. Hogan

Dear President Hogan,

I am afraid that Dr. Zemel's op-ed piece in The Hartford Courant in which he vigorously opposes the CT Lyme Bill, will come back to haunt him, and UCONN Health Center as well.

The tide is turning on the Lyme controversy. The existence of chronic Lyme Disease, and it's frequent misdiagnosis and undertreatment is now undeniable. Not even one State legislator

could be persuaded to vote against the bill.. Virtually everyone in the General Assembly knows someone suffering from chronic Lyme; sometimes it is themselves or a family member.

Governor Rell herself clearly recognizes the enormity of the suffering that the Lyme-deniers have caused. She had the wisdom and compassion to sign the bill into law, even after Public Health Commissioner Galvin fought tooth and nail against the bill.

Dr. Zemel's op-ed piece was an embarassment. Clearly, no one in their right mind would ever go to Dr. Zemel if they thought they might have Lyme disease, unless they had a death-wish. The same holds true for the entire

UCONN Health Center. I consulted several doctors at UCHC, and they ALL missed the diagnosis. I have suffered for at least 15 years with this, and now have late-stage disseminated neuro-Lyme.

My insurer has had to pay well over $100,000 for medical procedures, drugs, and diagnostic tests that would not have been necessary if I had been diagnosed at the acute stage, and treated with just a few dollars worth of antibiotics.

It is frankly shameful that a teaching hospital at the epicenter of the Lyme pandemic would be so clueless on the issue of Lyme and its coinfections. Thank God for the

few brave Lyme-literate physicians who risk everything to treat us. Now, at least, they will have some protection against the likes of Zemel and CT's worthless public health commissioner

Dr. Galvin. It is the arrogance of individuals such as these that is reponsible for the public health disaster that is Lyme Disease.

It is, of course, unprecedented that a legislative body would have to involve itself in a medical dispute, a dispute over diagnosis and treatment of a disease. Yet the magnitude of

the suffering was so apparent to these legislators that they knew they had to act decisively, which is what they did, with unanimous votes in both houses.

The denial of chronic Lyme disease, and the refusal to treat it amounts to medical malpractice on a global scale, and is something not seen in this country since the infamous Tuskegee Experiment.

I believe at some point in the near future, even Dr. Zemel and UCHC will come to understand the true extent of the Lyme pandemic, and will have no choice but to acknowledge

that they were wrong about it all along. But how much human suffering will have occurred by then?

Please educate yourselves about this disease before your ignorance and inaction completely destroys the credibility and reputation of your institution.

Sincerely,

Paul Cayer

--------------------

bettyg
Unregistered

amy, thank you; love you back! [group hug] [kiss]

i just posted on the actual article & yours somewhere else here!!

WELL DONE; BRAVO; OUTSTANDING ... you outdid yourself my dear friend!!! kudos to a very accomplished letter writer!! [group hug] [kiss]

bettyg
Unregistered

get this!! I SIGNED UP FOR CONN. BILL TRACKING SYSTEM !!!

GOV. SIGNED BILL JUNE 18TH ... that's what it says here folks and they waited until 6-21 to publicly announce it!!!

now it makes sense when i talked to 1 of the women there taking all my daily phone calls; we'll be getting out a press release SOON on 18th/thurs. or FRI!!!

http://www.cga.ct.gov/asp/cgabillstatus/cgabillstatus.asp?selBillType=Bill&bill_num=HB06200

Bill History (in reverse chronological order)
Date Action Taken

6/18/2009 Signed by the Governor

6/10/2009 Transmitted to the Secretary of State
6/5/2009 (LCO) Public Act 09-128
5/29/2009 On Consent Calendar / In Concurrence
5/29/2009 Senate Passed as Amended by House Amendment Schedule A
5/29/2009 Senate Adopted House Amendment Schedule A
5/4/2009 (LCO) File Number 903
5/4/2009 Senate Calendar Number 605
5/4/2009 Favorable Report, Tabled for the Calendar, Senate
4/30/2009 House Passed as Amended by House Amendment Schedule A
4/30/2009 House Adopted House Amendment Schedule A 6317
4/9/2009 (LCO) File Number 583
4/9/2009 House Calendar Number 391
4/9/2009 Favorable Report, Tabled for the Calendar, House
4/9/2009 (LCO) Reported Out of Legislative Commissioners' Office
4/3/2009 (LCO) Referred to Office of Legislative Research and Office of Fiscal Analysis 04/08/09 5:00 PM
3/27/2009 (LCO) Filed with Legislative Commissioners' Office
3/26/2009 (PH) Joint Favorable Substitute
3/25/2009 Referred to Joint Committee on Public Health
3/24/2009 Drafted by Committee
3/9/2009 (PH) Vote to Draft
2/2/2009 Public Hearing 02/06
1/28/2009 (PH) Reserved for Subject Matter Public Hearing
1/27/2009 Referred to Joint Committee on Public Health

you know IF CONN. GOV WOULD HAVE GOTTEN OUT PRESS RELEASES THAT DAY, 6.18.09

perhaps i would NOT have been attacked as that took place early 6-20-09 ??? who knows??

artmutt
Member # 20950

Icon 1 posted      Profile for artmutt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's what the courant.com page says now that I tried to post my comment (as you can see it also says comments O, as if none of you ever left a comment...wtc???):

COMMENTS (0) | Add Comment
Thank you, your comment has been submitted.
Below is a preview; your actual comment will appear shortly.
Great news, the bill was signed!http://www.ilads.org/news/lyme_press_releases/55.htmlA bit odd, Dr. Zemel, that you don't mention a very important fact about the IDSA guidelines you hail (and the authors you claim did extensive research). Connecticut Att. General Blumenthal's "antitrust investigation has uncovered serious flaws in the Infectious Diseases Society of America's (IDSA) process for writing its 2006 Lyme disease guidelines and the IDSA has agreed to reassess them with the assistance of an outside arbiter." http://www.ct.gov/ag/cwp/view.asp?a=2795

realitychk (6/27/2009)

Here's the entirety of what I wrote:

"Great news, the bill was signed!http://www.ilads.org/news/lyme_press_releases/55.html

A bit odd, Dr. Zemel, that you don't mention a very important fact about the IDSA guidelines you hail (and the authors you claim did extensive research). Connecticut Att. General Blumenthal's "antitrust investigation has uncovered serious flaws in the Infectious Diseases Society of America's (IDSA) process for writing its 2006 Lyme disease guidelines and the IDSA has agreed to reassess them with the assistance of an outside arbiter."

http://www.ct.gov/ag/cwp/view.asp?a=2795&q=414284
http://www.lymedisease.org/news/lymepolicywonk/126.html

If you're SO knowledgable about Lyme, surely you must be aware of that (it's all over the news). You must know as well that Germany and the UK reject the IDSA's guidelines: http://www.lymedisease.org/news/lymepolicywonk/117.html

You also state ``As a physician, I know long-term antibiotic treatment is dangerous. These are not harmless drugs and should not be administered for months, let alone years.'' Yet many diseases are treated by long-term antibiotics (months and even years). To name but a few: Rheumatoid Arthritis, Chrohn's Disease, Lupus, Periodontal disease, Urinary tract prophylaxis, Rheumatic fever, Herpes simplex, Whipple's disease, TB, I could go on...

What is your justification for this second questionable oversight in your letter?"

So....it still hasn't shown up, and when I hit refresh even my preview was gone. Poof!!! A tad bit suspicious, don'tcha think?

I prob. didn't use the best documentation, but it's all I could find being that I'm having a tough time processing things. I just had to comment as soon as I read such an asinine letter. I'm just so grateful for Governer Rell, the General Assembly, and of course Atty. General Blumenthal for all that he's uncovered.

Posts: 1 | From USA | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

ART,

welcome!! i just posted a short 1 sentence; no problem; i'm no. 218 ....

copy your comments again, type in the 4 digit no. and they appear PROMPTLY! try again ok [Smile]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement