LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Activism » Attention: All Residents of Iowa

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Attention: All Residents of Iowa
MorningSong
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19989

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MorningSong     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tick illnesses on the rise in Iowa according to newspaper report:

http://www.gazetteonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090628/NEWS/706289934/1006

Yet, not all House Representatives have signed on in Iowa to support HR 1179.

Please see the link below. If your reps name is not in green, they have not yet signed on as a co-sponsor. Please email, call, or fax asking House to co-sponsor HR 1179 and Senators to co-sponsor S.1352. Your help is needed. Please send the link to above paper if needed.

http://www.cwork.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=62&Itemid=71

Posts: 515 | From In His Loving Care | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
copying article here and breaking up for us neuros to read/comprehend ... betty [Smile]

Updated June 27. 2009 5:14PM
Lyme disease reports on rise in Johnson County
By Cindy Hadish
The Gazette
[email protected]

Photo
(AP)
A female deer tick is seen under a University of Rhode Island microscope in the entomology lab.

IOWA CITY -- Reports of Lyme disease are on the rise in Johnson County.

Fourteen cases of the tick-transmitted disease have been reported in May and June alone, according to the Johnson County Public Health Department. That compares to eight cases in May and June last year, 11 cases in 2007, one in 2006 and two in 2005.

The months are significant. Ticks pose the greatest threat of transmitting infectious organisms when they bite during the nymphal stage of life, generally between May and July, according to the Iowa Department of Public Health.

Toward the end of summer through fall, ticks mature to adult stage. Adult ticks can transmit infections to humans but are less likely to do so, according to the department.

Here is more from Johnson County Public Health on ticks and Lyme disease:

Black-legged ticks, or deer ticks, carry and transmit Lyme disease in Iowa. Deer ticks are very small, with the adults only 2 mm long.

Lyme disease is caused by an organism called Borrelia burgdorferi, which lives inside some ticks and enters the human body after a tick attaches to the skin. The tick must remain attached for 24 to 48 hours for transmission to occur.

Deer ticks favor a moist, shaded environment, especially wooded, brushy or overgrown grassy habitat.

Lyme disease, treatable with antibiotics, can be debilitating for some patients.

Symptoms of Lyme disease usually appear in seven to 14 days after a tick bite. People may experience a red, slowly expanding bull's-eye rash surrounding the tick bite area.

Other symptoms include fatigue; head, neck and muscle aches; fever; and joint pain.

If untreated, people can develop arthritis, joint swelling and potentially severe heart and neurological conditions.

Gazette Communications * 500 3rd Avenue SE * Cedar Rapids, IA 52401 * (319)398-8211 *
Contact Us * FAQ Page

� 2008 Gazette Communications

Article Comments
What we allow

Note: Article comments will include your name as you submitted it when you registered. You can edit your personal information here.

Click the Post Button to add your comment to a story.

i'll comment later; have an appt. to go to in a few minutes....

i got both tom latham & leonard boswell to be co-sponsors this time.

last week i called thanking each of their offices & asked them each to email the other 3 who have NOT signed on, and ENCOURAGED them to join them as well on behalf of ALL IOWANS with lyme/co-infections!!

so i've been working on this for past 2 years!!

bettyg, iowa lyme activist including calling congress on a regular basis !!

i called all 40 members of the SUB-COMMITTEE our HR bill is in on hold ....

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MorningSong
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19989

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MorningSong     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Betty for breaking up the article. Thanks for all your hard work!
Posts: 515 | From In His Loving Care | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
today i received a letter back from STEVE KING, NW IOWA.

he did NOT mentioned anything about co-sponsoring this bill. but in the "form" letter stated this, so i called his office promptly after receiving it!!

partially only...

"Lyme disease is EASILY treated with antibiotic, but, if left untreated, it can spread to the joints, heart and nervous system.

Supported of this bill argue that the passage will help to addres the fact that ove the past decade, theer has been a troubling increase in the number of lyme disease cases reported.

As HR 1179 continues to make its way through the legislative process, I will keep your thoughts in mind if it is brought to the house floor for a vote."

i typed the ALL CAPS ON EASILY!! i was boiling when i read that!

His office secretary, Sam, said he's a methodical thinker and takes a LONG time before deciding on anything. he's NOT made a decision either way.

i asked them that their form letter show something specific then about NOT having decided whether he choses to co-sponsor or not.

since i am NOT one of his constituents, he doesn't have to write me or contact me about anything.

i gave them my email address. they did say they have received MANY LYME DISEASE LETTERS FROM CONSTITUENTS IN THAT AREA!!

i had an after thought, so i called back 1 more time and gave them our Iowa 15 yr. old, Alex Hermstad's, caring bridge site, angels for alex, to go and view this touching 5 minute you tube video. this is who steve king is representing and needs help desparately.

we'll see if that might influence him one way or another!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement