LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Activism » IDSA Review Panel Calls for Revisions

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: IDSA Review Panel Calls for Revisions
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PRESS RELEASE

Lyme Disease Guidelines Review Panel Releases Final Report

April 23, 2010- A Review Panel for the Infectious Diseases Society of America (IDSA) Lyme Disease Guidelines announced this week, after more than a year of reviewing hundreds of pages of documents, that it was recommending many changes be made to the society's next revision of their controversial guidelines.

The review was to determine whether the guidelines should stay in place, be partially revised or fully rewritten. Over 25 suggestions for revisions were made by the eight member Panel.

The IDSA's restrictive guidelines, developed in 2006, stated that most cases of Lyme disease can be cured with a short course of antibiotics and had recommended, as insurers do, against expensive long-term antibiotic treatment.

With increasing numbers of Lyme patients each year becoming chronically ill and disabled from persistent and worsening symptoms, changes to the status-quo were desperately needed.

Health care professionals and support groups have complained for years that the guidelines were responsible for patients not being properly diagnosed and treated.

They also raised questions about the IDSA's biased process for developing their guidelines and their multiple conflicts-of-interests.

The Attorney General of CT agreed with the growing number of patients who had suffered as a result of chronic Lyme. After a lengthy investigation into the private medical society he stated,

"The IDSA's 2006 Lyme disease guideline panel undercut its credibility by allowing individuals with financial interests -- in drug companies, Lyme disease diagnostic tests, patents and consulting arrangements with insurance companies -- to exclude divergent medical evidence and opinion.''

Although the Review Panel voted unanimously to change or alter many of the previous recommendations in the guidelines during the next update (2011), there are still many unanswered questions and points of contention to be worked out.

For example, the IDSA guideline authors rejected findings from studies completed outside of the USA, allowing the perpetuation of a monopoly-like hold on the science and in the process, deeming much credible research by others unacceptable.

The Review Panel, stacked with strong supporters of the IDSA (including its past president), did not positively address the unrealistic practice of dismissing science (national/international) that wasn't necessarily in agreement with their own.

The Review Panel also rejected evidence (case studies and case series) that cited the successful use of long-term antibiotics for treating other infections and voted to uphold the IDSA's theory that antibiotic use and the IV delivery method could still be risky or harmful to "Lyme" patients.

One Panel recommendation increased the length of treatment for a coinfection (Babesiosis) due to the high rate of relapses, called for more testing to be performed and suggested treatment continue for two weeks after all evidence of the tick borne infection had cleared.

A well-known sore spot for the IDSA had been their recommended Lyme testing methods and the requirement that patients have two positive tests before being treated.

Lyme tests cost Maryland patients over $3 million dollars each year; a waste considering a 2005 John Hopkins study found that 75% of patients were being missed using the IDSA recommended tests.

The Panel suggested the next guidelines include information about the problems associated with Lyme disease testing.

The national Lyme Disease Association (LDA) and its 35 affiliates expressed disappointment with the Review Panel decision on many points.

The organization voiced concerns early on over the bias in the Panel selection and the lack of treating physicians to balance the Panel.

The LDA also stated patients need adequate treatment and relief now and their members are urging the CT Attorney General to examine the process and take further action if it is warranted.

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although the revisions suggested by the Panel were not the ones that we hoped for and ones that would end the war and cure us all ...

And we never thought they would be...

The Panel DID recommend that over 25 revisions be made... indicating there were many flaws in the 2006 Guidelines and much room for improvement.

Ten of the recommended revisions had to do with the IDSA over stating their position and putting too much weight on their own recommendations- aka- acting too big for their own britches.

This report leaves the IDSA in the same WRONG WRONG WRONG boat as always.

Bottom line- They were investigated for illegal practices related to their own Guidelines, found guilty and their Guidelines were shot full of holes by their own people in a review process.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MurphyNC
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15275

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MurphyNC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, I'm a little confused...not hard to do haha

Where can I see the 25 recommended revisions (are any of them significant?) and will those happen in 2011?
thanks, Murph

Posts: 108 | From Raleigh, NC | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canbravelyme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canbravelyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TC:

What's going on?

I thought the guidelines were ruled to stand as they were?

--------------------
For medical advice related to Lyme disease, please see an ILADS physician.

Posts: 1494 | From Getting there... | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Hey Murph and canbrave...

Bless your hearts. I saw your posts earlier and was just too tired to think how to explain all this .... BUT...

I just saw a post by Optimistic in General section (link below). She did an excellent job explaining it .... so if you don't mind I'll refer you to her post. It is near the bottom of the thread, so scroll down a bit.

You might say I am looking at the glass as 1/2 full at a time when the IDSA has made an attempt to step all over us again.

Even though they wiggled and Wormsered their way through this reputation damaging exposure (the AG's actions against them) ... and twisted their press releases to try to make themselves look good... and us look bad....

And we KNEW they would do this... and we knew they would NEVER admit they were wrong...

They KNOW they are wrong.

And the Panel did recommend changes be made to the next edition of the Guidelines. You sure can't tell though by their spin on it, can you?

Did you notice how they had all the press lined up PRIOR to making the announcement?

They were trying to get the spin on it in their favor to make themselves look good while they continue to wade through the muck they brought upon themselves.

If you still have questions after reading her post, hopefully I can get some sleep tonight and will be able to answer you sometime this weekend.

Optimistic is a long time activist and has been around since the dawn of time working hard to help the community. When I have had the opportunity to work with her over the years she always amazes me with her knowledge of Lyme and all the politics.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/3/24494?

Hope that helps!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

lymewreck36
Member # 4395

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymewreck36     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DO NOT GO GENTLE INTO THAT GOOD NIGHT
By: Dylan Thomas

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless me now with your fierce tears, I pray.

Posts: 1032 | From North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawn in VA
Member # 9693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawn in VA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometimes, I frankly just don't know what to do aside from contacting legistlators, lobying when local Assembly is in session, etc. If anyone can advise, would welcome the opportunity.

Folks, TLC (Turn the Corner) also welcomes volunteers.

--------------------
(The ole disclaimer: I'm not a doctor.)

Posts: 1349 | From VA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement