LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Activism » Support for Participation in IOM Workshop

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Support for Participation in IOM Workshop
lymeout
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8045

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
September 24, 2010

Members of the Parents of Children With Lyme Support Network join National Capital Lyme and other organizations in supporting speakers representing the patient population by continuing to participate in the IOM Workshop. Though the process may be flawed, we believe it is in our best interest to listen, learn and share at this workshop in hopes of advancing dialogue and collaborative effort, even if it is just by a single step.

Posts: 422 | From Herndon, Virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"speakers representing the patient population"

Who would that be? The only one assigned for that position resigned.

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BTW- Do you have any contact information and some general information for the Parents of Children With Lyme Support Network?

We have a lot of kids here seeing Dr. J.. and I'm sure they would appreciate it.

Thanks.

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
levity101
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1528

Icon 1 posted      Profile for levity101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tincup,
You seem to have access to the list of speakers/presenters at the IOM conference...can you supply a link? Thanks.

Posts: 688 | From Florida | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeout
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8045

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TC,

In response to first question: We realize that Pam is there to present based on her journalistic investigations; but we all know her findings. We consider her representative of our experiences. Also, we trust her judgement. If she feels there is merit to following through with her presentation, we believe she merits our support via our presence physically or webcast. There are other presenters who likely will be sharing information that supports our experiences. I base that on researching their work. Also, I am sure that some of the doctors in the trenches will be there. Though I haven't asked directly, I am pretty sure my own daughter's doc will be there - the office called to reschedule an appointment made for one of the workshop days.

In response to second question: About 6 years ago, four mothers met through lymenet, realized that we lived in the same area and decided to meet for lunch. We have been meeting ever since, and the numbers joining us have continued to grow over the years, all by word of mouth. We now have two lunches monthly - each strategically located to allow people on the extreme ends of our geographic area to attend at least one. Additionally, we have a sub group of parents who have lyme themselves who have begun meeting monthly. They face an even more complicated journey and have found the support they provide each other for this specific situation to be profoundly beneficial.

Over the years, however, the email communication has become our most active component. We are NOT an activist group, we are truly a support and resource sharing group. Rather than a leader, we have a facilitator who manages the communications and lunch reservations. Sometimes someone will suggest inviting a professional (doctor, school psychologist, nutritionist) to speak. If there is enough interest, we follow through. We are very loosely organized.

I would say that the most valuable aspect of this group is sharing experiences in support therapies, school issues, doctor status updates (who is taking new patients, etc.). For this reason, this group works best if it is regional. I would encourage others to develop a group in their area. I will always be grateful to lymenet for giving us the opportunity to connect.

Levity,

You can find the workshop agenda by going to IOM's website:
www.iom.edu/ Type "lyme disease" in their search box. Click on the first link that pops up. That will take you to the Workshop page. If you scroll to the bottom, you can click on the "Agenda" link on the left.

Posts: 422 | From Herndon, Virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Levity...

Here is the agenda.

http://www.iom.edu/~/media/Files/Activity%20Files/Disease/TickBorne/AGENDA-09202010.pdf

For more information about the workshop...

http://www.iom.edu/Activities/Disease/TickBorne.aspx

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Tincup
Member # 5829

Oop! Just saw your post Lymeout. I got distracted before I found the links. Now Levity will have two answers... you were faster than me!

The groups sounds good. If you have an email address to share I will send Virginia parents that I've been working with your way.

Thanks!

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Pam Weintraub
Member # 15718

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pam Weintraub   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am there to speak on the patient experience --but will draw from my journalism to talk about more than myself. Just because I have not pulled out does not mean that I do not support the groups who have. To the contrary, I stand in solidarity with them: However, I am an individual, not an advocacy organization and my burden of responsibility and perspective and mission is different. I remain very hopeful that the acts of those who have dropped out AND those who remain in dialog with IOM will, together, IN AGGREGATE, make a change in this workshop SO that we have a more balanced presentation of the science. Pam Weintraub

--------------------
Pam Weintraub
Cure Unknown
http://www.cureunknown.com

Posts: 66 | From Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeout
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8045

Pam, that is a balanced perspective. It seems to me that taking two approaches to this should not be perceived as divisive. Anything accomplished by those who are withdrawing benefits me. Anything that might be accomplished by those participating benefits those who are boycotting. I like to think that we are covering all the bases.
lymeout
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8045

Pam, that is a balanced perspective. It seems to me that taking two approaches to this should not be perceived as divisive. Anything accomplished by those who are withdrawing benefits me. Anything that might be accomplished by those participating benefits those who are boycotting. I like to think that we are covering all the bases.
Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spoken like true Knights. Thanks.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
levity101
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1528

Icon 1 posted      Profile for levity101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tincup and Lymeout, thanks for the link.

Pam,
thank you for letting us know what your perspective is on the proceedings--it's good to know that you are not feeling abandoned, as had been suggested, and it helps to diffuse some of the friction that has arisen around differing viewpoints.

You have done so much for Lyme patients with your excellently researched book--we all owe you a debt of gratitude. Cure Unknown is one of the most powerful tools that we have to lift the veil of misinformation that surrounds Lyme disease.

After looking at the agenda and thinking that some of the names looked familiar, I looked back at Cure Unknown and found that you had interviewed and written about several of the researchers who will be presenting at the workshop.

Hopefully, these are scientists who will attest to the persistence of Bb and its craftiness in disabling its victims and their immune responses. This is heartening--and may add some balance to the bias of Wormser and others.

Posts: 688 | From Florida | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeout
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8045

TC,

Please feel free to PM me with names and contact information of those who may be interested in joining the POCL Network. I, or one of the other moms will get in touch with them. Will that work?

lymeout

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement