LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Activism » Protest Signs

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Protest Signs
sizzled
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1357

Icon 4 posted      Profile for sizzled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please help suggest possible protest signs for the rally!

"Wormser lies,Patients die!"

Short and to the point?

Posts: 4258 | From over there | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 3 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A SMALLER SIGN SHOULD SHOW THE STATE "YOU" ARE FROM!!

CHRONIC LYME EXISTS,
I AM ONE OF THOUSANDS!

LYME GUIDELINES
SHOULD BE DEVELOPED
BY "CHRONIC" LYME
LITERATE MDS ONLY.

TREAT US LIKE YOUR PET!
WE DESERVE BETTER!

WHY BUY HEALTH INSURANCE;
THEY REFUSE TO PAY?
SAVE YOUR MONEY !!!

CHRONIC LYME EXISTS IN 49 OF 50 STATES
NOT NEVADA.

HAVE SOME "BURMASHAVE SIGNS" !!
THEY START SAYING SOMETHING AND THE NEXT ONE CONTINUES THE STORY! THEY ARE EFFECTIVE.

sorry, I'm yelling now since I can't come Friday! my apoogies to all reading; I got carried away. [Big Grin]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sizzled
Member # 1357

Icon 10 posted      Profile for sizzled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank-you, Betty!!!!!!!!!

Thank-you! Thank-you! Thank-you!

Any more suggestions???

Big signs may need shorter messages to be read by passersby???

Message to people who don't know what IDSA is???

Posts: 4258 | From over there | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FightFireWithWater
Member # 5781

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FightFireWithWater     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IDSA Guidelines:
Destroying America One Family At a Time

--------------------
"Help Or Be Helpless" Please visit "Activism" board daily. See the threads regarding the IDSA Guidelines crisis and the threads about Dr. Charles Ray Jones and decide how best to help today!

Posts: 1265 | From does not list | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
heiwalove
Member # 6467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for heiwalove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
maybe something really simple like

LYME RIGHTS NOW!

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/violinexplosion

Posts: 1848 | From seattle, wa | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sizzled, have you seen the OLD BURMA SHAVE signs driving down the highway?

Normally, they had special meanings that rhymed, and 1-3 words per sign SPACED OUT so you could read the entire sentence within 1/8 to 1/4 mile. They were very effective. [Wink]

ldfighter
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ldfighter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the short & simple ones too (LYME RIGHTS NOW!)

Also see the new sign ideas at:

http://www.lymenews.org/html/links.html

http://www.lymenews.org/html/slogans.html

[ 27. November 2006, 10:23 AM: Message edited by: ldfighter ]

Posts: 621 | From US | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sizzled
Member # 1357

Icon 14 posted      Profile for sizzled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Betty....I am not sure I know what to put on the 'Burma Shave Signs'and how many I would need.

You are an expert on specific instructions soooo, could you please give me an example?

I have not seen those signs as I haven't really taken a vacation in about 20 years!!! (yeah, me [dizzy] !!)

Weather looks great for Thursday so wind and rain do not look to be a problem!

Thank-you,ldfighter, for pointing out the updated website!

I had been checking but you caught the post I needed!

Heeheehee, that PMerv is clever and I will make signs on the sayings!

Mo
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2863

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Betty's right.

..and my biggest problem is being succinct.

i'll try and squeeze one out..

[Mad] [Eek!] [Mad]

DENYING LYME is a CRIME

mo

[ 27. November 2006, 11:04 AM: Message edited by: Mo ]

Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ldfighter
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ldfighter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's now a long list of specific "slogan" ideas on the rally website:

http://www.lymenews.org/html/slogans.html

Along with the following suggested guidelines:

* Stick to the issues, make your point clearly

* The fewer words the better; you want this to be legible if your sign should be on the news Thursday evening.

* Personalize with your state.

* Please DO NOT write anything about Westchester Medical Center our issue is with 3 of the doctors there, not the center itself.

* Use ribbon to attach 2 boards together and use them like a sandwich board over a person

* Use Lyme green poster board

Posts: 621 | From US | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 9 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LDFIGHTER, thanks for slogan thread, but it's a real shame on the site that they are NOT LARGE AND LEGIBLE!

I'm sorry but what I saw stunk on legibility! [cussing]

If the person who developed that screen could modify it for legibility FANTASTIC for those making signs!

ARIAL, 14 PITCH works great for those of us with LOW vision .... hint hint! [Big Grin]

BURMA SHAVE SUGGESTIONS TO SIZZLED:

4 signs --

WE PAY BIG $$$
FOR HEALTH INSURANCE;
WHY DON'T THEY PAY
FOR OUR LYME TREATMENT?

2 signs TO DO THIS ONE ....

CHRONIC LYME EXISTS;
100,000 SAY SO!

does anyone have an idea how many TOTAL EXIST NATIONWIDE?

3 signs --

CHRONIC LYME EXISTS
IN 49 OF 50 STATES
(NOT NEVADA)

So 3 people to sit by each other holding these 3 signs together, and in order! ha [Big Grin]

2 signs

TREAT US LIKE YOUR PET!
WE DESERVE BETTER

Sizzled, hope this helps you/others!

Thank you ALL for going for US ALL behind!
[group hug] [kiss] [group hug] [kiss] [group hug]

Mo
Member # 2863

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
... what, who has a big behind??

[Eek!] Mo

Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey all,

Betty I would just like to take issue with your Nevada statement.

According to the CDC stats:

Nevada Reported cases:
Lyme Disease Cases as Reported to the CDC 1980-Current (10-14-06): 59

Not sure where your info came from, but be assured LD is everywhere.

M

Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also...

Reported National Cases:
Lyme Disease Cases as Reported to the CDC 1980-Current (10-14-06): 281,991

Actual National Cases:
Using the CDCs own under-reported standard of 10 fold: 2,819,910

Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Areneli
Member # 6740

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Areneli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*****Actual National Cases:
Using the CDCs own under-reported standard of 10 fold: 2,819,910****

Which is ~1% of Americans. One person of any 100 has Lyme disease. If spread evenly there will be one or more Lyme sick person per every block.

Posts: 1538 | From Planet Earth | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

And remember...those are ONLY the stats for LD...NOT including any of the the other co-infections!

Hawaii nor Montana are even reporting...and other states have in recent years lessened or even dropped their required criteria for reporting purposes.

M

bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 4 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quoting GwenB

posted 27-11-2006 09:56 PM
Hi all

Great job with the signs. I work with an environmental group and we do a fair amount of protests (completely non-violent, no civil disobedience either), anyhoooo we do a lot of placards and signs.

There are a couple of rules:

* don't use acronymns (IDSA etc), most people won't know what you are talking, or protesting about, so you need to keep it very very simple.

* Make the letters at least 4 INCHES HIGH and use a DARK MARKER that won't run in the rain.

* Have information that you can hand out - the press like filming that.

* Keep your focus - this is a very complicated and controversial issue - you need to come across with a sharp focus

* and present yourselves as passionate about the issue,

* but also as reasonable, rational and sympathetic.

* This is doubly important as you are protesting against doctors who are considered eminently credible authorities by most media until proven otherwise.

You probably have already done this but you should:

* identify spokespeople so the media know who to go to.

* They will probably want quotes from other people attending the rally,

* but you want to make sure that there are one or two media point people.

* Try explaining your protest in under one minute to someone who doesn't know about or understand Lyme disease.

* If you can't do it in under a minute keep practicing until you can.

* You also need to figure out why people WITHOUT Lyme disease should CARE about this issue.

Most people will think:

* Why should I care?
* Says who?
* What's in it for me?

If you can answer those questions in a compelling matter you are half way there. Good luck!!!!
Gwen

[ 27. November 2006, 10:57 PM:
Message edited by: gwenb ]
Posts: 99 | From: vancouver,bc | Registered: Apr 2005 | IP: Logged

Gwen, OUTSTANDING ADVICE TO ALL!

Melanie, Nevada came from this board's comments; can't remember now WHERE or who quoted this; maybe was it CDC board?? Don't remember frankly.

Mo
Member # 2863

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
excellent advice from Gwen, we have to make this clear to non-Lyme literates!!

i belive the core message is.

access to existing standards of care for an epidemic disease.

m

sizzled
Member # 1357

Icon 5 posted      Profile for sizzled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's wrong with putting the three names of the WRITERS of the IDSA on signs???

They have to go there and may be there....Maybe they will be interviewed and quoted.....?

Mo
Member # 2863

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey sizzz, i think the idea is that most signs and comments should be a clear and compassionate demand for care, that the general public can understand and think about.

but i also think the IDSA doc's names should be seen and some of those giving quotes to the media should challange them for answers, but i think the majority of signs and comments that the unknowing public should see should be demanding our basic right to medical care.

that message getting across loud and clear will turn the screws on the IDSA, and hopefully catch them with their pants down, so to speak.

maybe a few saying:

"INVESTIGATE (three docs names) FOR ANTI-TRUST ISSUES" here and there wouldn't hurt, because Blumenthal has called for that.

"(three docs names) BIAS HAS NO PLACE IN SCIENCE!"

"(three docs names) "A BIASED RESEARCH-BASE ENDANGERS PUBLIC HEALTH and WELFARE"
or something like that?

m

MagicAcorn
Member # 8786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MagicAcorn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good Ideas!

Love Betty's "Burma Shave" idea. I saw one of those in Upstate New York just recently.

Thanks for giving me some inspiration for my signs.

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1279 | From In hiding | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Member # 2863

How about:

" MEDICAL CARE BASED ON 5 PERCENT of
AVAILABLE RESEARCH ????? "

(stole it from ray -- ssssshh.)

mo [Cool]

[ 28. November 2006, 05:36 PM: Message edited by: Mo ]

sizzled
Member # 1357

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sizzled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mo, Betty, Magic and everybody!

EXCELLENT suggestions!

Compassion....hmmmm.

Yes.

Biased Evidence-based Research = IDSA Guidelines

Mo
Member # 2863

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
good one, sizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

"CHERRY PICKED RESEARCH is DISABLING our CHILDREN!"

"WE DEMAND OBJECTIVE DATA !!"

or

SHOW US YOUR SHINGLES!!

ok, that last one is silly -- i have to stop ..

[dizzy] mo

sizzled
Member # 1357

Icon 12 posted      Profile for sizzled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shingles?

You wanna see their....shingles??? [loco]

Mo
Member # 2863

if they show me theirs .. watch out!! i'll show them mine !!

[Embarrassed]

shingles, as in credentials..

(but seriously, that sign idea isn't good for Thursday, i'm pooped out!)

m

bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 3 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I diots
D eveloped
S tupid
A gendas!

Sorry, I was trying to think of something where we can show their abbreviation and make a statement but my attempt did NOT WORK, but your mind may come up with some good suggestions on my feebled attempt! [Razz]

break the chains
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5668

Icon 1 posted      Profile for break the chains   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was thinking about this too,(idsa acrynms) but i really want to make something about what the real truth of this issue is. why are they doing this? its tricky to come up with one for that.

I ntended
to
D isable
S icken
A nnihilate

I deally
D eath
S ickness
(and?)
A quiet epdiemic

one of my friends forgot the name and called it "isad or whatever" i thought that was cute, and it made me think of:
idsa makes isad

Posts: 245 | From connecticut, the lyme state | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
chains, I liked yours ... all of them! [Wink]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement