LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » ringing in the ears

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ringing in the ears
BlueRoo
Member # 10233

Icon 5 posted      Profile for BlueRoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was wondering if anyone else has had trouble with ringing in the ears. I've had Lyme's Dz. for 7 years. About a year ago, I started having trouble with ringing in both ears along with some dizziness. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Posts: 6 | From Virginia | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
char
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 8315

Icon 1 posted      Profile for char     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you taking abx right now?

I had some ear pain last winter. Evidently I was "toxic" and a short break from the abx caused it to go away.

Also, could it be a side effect from another med?

Char

Posts: 1230 | From US | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docjen
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7510

Icon 1 posted      Profile for docjen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep....lots of ringing. It gets worse when I am herxing or just not feeling well. My doc attributes it to babesia (which I have a whopping big load of).

If it bothers you, you might want to think about getting a white noise machine. I have one (from Sharper Image, or a cheaper version from Homedics) that I turn on at night and it helps me keep from concentrating on all the bells!

Posts: 393 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will try and do a search if I remember.

I was just wondering how much the white noise machines are.

I usually turn the TV on and lay on the couch to drown out the ringing in my ears.

Lately, I have been wondering if it has anything to do with how much noise the cilia get during the day.

Wondering if it makes a difference.

I didn't quite understand what the problem was with others and the ringing in the ears.

I have had it off and on since i was in college in the early 90's.

Before being dx with lyme disease.

But, the past year, it has been one of the symptoms I would like to do something about if I can.

It really gets to me now. It seems the more volume, the less I can do each day.

Can't recall how to treat babs or if I have been treated for it.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Al
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Al     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had the ringing ears for 3 years now since this whole hing started. I also have dizziness so severe I've been house bound for the 3 years.
I pass out about once a month and the dizziness gets worse along with the ringing. At one point I thought it was Fungal but now I'm not so sure.
I've had Thrush for the same time !
Nothing has helped so far.
I've been around the doctor block with no help.
I'm now being treated for lyme (2 Months)
Dehydration is a big problem for me.

Posts: 789 | From CT, | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
improver
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8380

Icon 1 posted      Profile for improver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too have ringing in the ears. Mostly my right ear lately and it's not as loud as it has been in the past. It has only been there since the whole lyme journey began 2.5 years ago.

It does go away from time to time when treatment is going well but once I feel bad again it seems to come back.

I use alot of loud power tools but always wear ear protection. I have just learned to live with it for now.......good luck

Posts: 413 | From nj | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shazdancer
Member # 1436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shazdancer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooh, Improver, we could make a matched set, as mine is mostly in my left ear. It was worse when I was real ill, but has never been overwhelming, luckily. I also have hearing loss, mostly in that ear.

Sometimes it sounds like high-pitched tinfoil being crumpled, other times it sounds like spring peepers, and I LOVE spring peepers, lol! I also noticed that, at times, my left ear hears one full tone lower than my right.

An MRI turned up nothing, although I see two small bright spots on one of the pics. Told the hearing doc it might be Lyme, and he said, "Well, you probably know more about that than I do."

Thanks, doc, I was hoping you might know SOMEthing....

-- Shaz

Posts: 1558 | From the Berkshires | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep I had Ringing for about 16 yrs-
once I started treating for babs also the
ringing is mostly gone now - but it dose
come back when I herx but not to bad-

I also used the TV on to hide the sound-
worked perty good-Jay--

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docjen
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7510

Icon 1 posted      Profile for docjen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Re: the white noise machine....you can just turn on a fan onto a low speed if you don't want to put the money into a noise machine. The Homedics white noise machine runs about $10-$15, and works pretty well. I have recently upgraded to a Sharper Image white noise machine after my Homedics went kaputt (but it gave me 3 or 4 years of use first!). The Sharper Image machine is more in the $150 range, but I think it has something like 50 different relaxing sounds you can choose from. It has made a world of difference, especially when I wake up numerous times at night and have nothing to do but concentrate on all the ringing! Good luck!
Posts: 393 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks I did do a search on white noise machines and came up with $300 so I stopped searching.

It is good to know there are machines out there much cheaper.

I had not considered turning on the fan only to the heating and cooling system.

I just might give that a try.

It sounds like getting treated for babs is the way to go.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindy_leigh
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cindy_leigh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
16 years
permanent, not from ABX but from nerve damage

Posts: 688 | From CT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had tinnitus for about nine years now. I use a white noise machine not to drown out the ringing, but to drown out other sounds that are going on when I am trying to rest, like kids playing outside, lawn mowers, and most recently, painters in my house!

I have a Homedics unit that I got at Target. I don't use it daily, but I think I've had it for four years or so now.

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NatalieA
Member # 7714

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NatalieA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes- ringing in the ears combined with clogged,popping ears, clogged head and total dizziness.. I am suffering again for the last month. Thought I was getting better for awhile and now it all seems to be coming back. The dizziness is the worst part. Off all abx cause of yeast-still on Diflucan and Nystatin..How long does it take to get rid of this stuff? Watching diet pretty good too. I was almost hoping I was just getting the flu but I don't think so. Does anyone else get this extreme dizziness?
Posts: 87 | From Clarksburg, NJ, Monmouth | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement