LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Exellant articles on Colloidal silver

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Exellant articles on Colloidal silver
8man12
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7664

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 8man12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.newstarget.com/010761.html

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/050906/66026.html?.v=1

As validated by recent studies by the University of North Texas and Brigham
Young University, colloidal silver is confirmed to effectively kill at least
16 common forms of waterborne bacteria including staph, strep, salmonella
and e.coli. When combined with the trend toward increased resistance to
antibiotics and emerging infectious diseases this becomes increasingly
important.

Posts: 510 | From NEVERLAND.USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisianthus
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lisianthus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read sommething different. I would never take CS.

This is from Tom Grier:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=033987#000000

--------------------
yahoo 360 http://360.yahoo.com/my_profile-UqSNGiA9crUMRW.lFNGN5Jk-?cq=1

Posts: 986 | From Michigan | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DawnE
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3155

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DawnE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is very upsetting. I have been using silver for 2 years and it is the only thing that works for me(except for IV Rocephin, but who could afford to stay on that for years) As soon as I go off the silver I get a fever, my heart starts racing,I can't sleep and the pain returns. After 2 days back on it I feel better. I read that it works not by killing the organism but by blocking an enzyme that it needs to reproduce.
I don't want to turn blue, but oral abx's do absolutely nothing for me. I just don't know what to do anymore.

DawnE

Posts: 158 | From Great Neck, New York | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pq
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
there new findings on sci.med...lyme on silver, and curad bandaids, etc.
Posts: 2708 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
8man12
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7664

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 8man12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the silver has really worked for many,,,there are many studies out there and 1 company just got there silver patented,,,i cant comment on Mr. Griers testing.Mant new studies prove he is wrong,or came up with different opinoins,and some are big universitys with the proper equipment..Also,who knows what type of silver he was using.You dont have to take it,many do well on it,that is why i posted it.
Posts: 510 | From NEVERLAND.USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
8man12
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7664

01/07/2005 - An ionic silver complex designed for human antimicrobial
use has received a US patent, in a move that could well see increased
usage of this technology that exhibits broad-spectrum antimicrobial
qualities as well as displaying a lack of causing resistant strains.

Silver ions, while being lethal to single-celled microorganisms, are
harmless to human cells and are increasingly being used in wound care
due to their ability to facilitate the healing of tissue.

The patented technology provides for a safe product due to the
efficiency of delivery, introducing a quantity of silver to the body -
less than what may exist in a person's average drinking water intake as
a naturally occurring mineral. The difference is this new technology is
designed to deliver the silver as active silver ions with antimicrobial
ability.

Invision International Health Solutions, owners of the ionic silver
complex technology, said that the patented technology was designed to
utilise naturally occurring substances, such as citrate, to achieve
optimal delivery and release of silver ions in the human body, in an
efficient and safe manner.

"This patented technology represents a leap beyond predecessor silver
ion technologies, including those that utilise electrolysis for
manufacturing, such as colloidal silver," says Jay Newman, the
company's president and CEO.

This invention (US patent number, 6,838,095) relates to solutions
including complexed ionic silver. In particular, it relates to
solutions including complexed ionic silver wherein the solutions convey
health benefits through their use or application.

"In addition, this composition-of-matter patent provides far more
meaningful protection than the product-by-process patents that have
been issued on other silver products," Newman added.

Along with its antimicrobial qualities and lack of toxicity to humans,
evidence is mounting that silver ions have powerful antiviral effects
as well. A recent university study suggested ionic silver to be
effective against the SARS virus. In Europe, ionic silver is a
medically approved treatment used to combat systemic viral conditions,
including the common cold and flu.

Silver ion compounds have also been introduced in recent years for
antimicrobial use in medical devices and wound-care products. They are
also being used for pharmaceutical equipment sanitation, and for
killing germs including the germ that causes Legionnaires' Disease in
the water systems of hospitals.

Ionic silver is used for many severe conditions as well, including, for
example, tuberculosis, Epstein-Barr Virus, Lyme Disease, Legionnaires'
Disease, bronchitis, chicken pox, and numerous others.

There are actually few germ-related conditions, or conditions requiring
the repair of tissue, for which ionic silver is not used, since many
claim it is not only effective in killing most bacteria but also many
if not most fungus and viruses.

Some reports indicate that it is also effective against a number of
parasites that might invade the body. Ionic silver is also reported by
some researchers to be effective at treating cancer and HIV.

riversinger
Member # 4851

Icon 1 posted      Profile for riversinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While colloidal and/or ionic silver may be an effective antimicribial agent, I want to say that it is not completely safe in all uses.

IV silver threw my entire system into severe distress, with liver damage, kidney problems, damaged blood counts, etc. Things I never saw on any other meds. Now, some people do have these problems on conventional drugs.

Just don't presume that silver is 100% safe in all uses for all people.

--------------------
Sonoma County Lyme Support
[email protected]

Posts: 2142 | From California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisianthus
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lisianthus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One question.... Are these researchers the same people who are selling the silver?

I am not trying to argue with you, I just don't believe in putting heavy metals into your blood stream. I think there could be alot more side effects...... JUST MY OPINION.

--------------------
yahoo 360 http://360.yahoo.com/my_profile-UqSNGiA9crUMRW.lFNGN5Jk-?cq=1

Posts: 986 | From Michigan | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
8man12
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7664

i dont know if there selling it.I dont believe brigham young university is..Most that do well on it make there own,it cost what a good gallon of distilled water cost.I make my own.I dont think it is much worse on your body than all the medications some are putting in there bodies,let alone herbs,they purchase and have no idea what quality they are.Silver shuts down the oxygen the lyme needs to survive,that is why it doesnt become antibiotic resistent.It does nothing to healthy cells what so ever.It definately kills yeast in the body,as i know for fact,i have lyme,ended up with diabetes,the antibiotics would give me yeast infections,i had to take diflucan every other day.That is when a man told me about silver,i have since had my diabetes in good control,and no yeast infections.I never new a man could get yeast lol...but talk about pain in the groin.
karatelady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karatelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DawnE,

How much silver do you use a day?

Sandy

Posts: 686 | From Northeast Georgia | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
riversinger
Member # 4851

Icon 1 posted      Profile for riversinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 8man12:
It does nothing to healthy cells what so ever.It definately kills yeast in the body,

Neither of these statements is universally true.

Silver destroyed red blood cells, white blood cells, and neutrophils when I used it. And it did nothing for the fungal infections, or anything else I had.

It may be useful for some things, in some people, when used carefully, but don't make claims that are untrue. I am not the only one who has had this problem, many others have also found this when using Argentyn 23.

Antibiotics are risky as well, but people need to realize that so-called natural products are risky as well. I tried this because of the assurances of doctors and others that it was completely safe. They were wrong!

So if you decide to try it, make sure you know what to look for. Some in my doctor's office did fine, some did not. Please be careful.

[ 20. September 2005, 05:13 PM: Message edited by: riversinger ]

--------------------
[email protected]

Posts: 2142 | From California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tom Grier
Member # 7025

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Grier   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In 1996 I wanted to see for myself if the claims made by the manufacturers and sellers of Colloidal Silver were true. Claims such as printed in the KAIRE product brochure and other CS manufacturer's literature.

Such as:

CS kills 650 known bacterial and viral pathogens

CS disables the enzyme that delivers oxygen to the virus.

CS is so well absorbed in the mouth that none is left to kill the Gut bacteria

CS with its Mild Silver protein cannot penetrate skin and cause argyria

Two teaspoons of CS in a gallon of distilled water is so powerful that 4 ounces a day of this dilution will kill all known pathogens and maintain a healthy normal GI tract.

--------------

I was so convinced by these bold claims that I tested 12 CS products at 1:1000 dilution , 1:100, 1:10 and full strength including Dr Paul Farber's CS-MSP and two strengths of Kaire's CS, and ten others from around the country and one from Canada. In this 1st set of testing, most CS products were sent to me sealed and unopened by a LDSG leader on Nantucket Island.

I plated a dozen common "house" pathogens in petri dishes at St Joseph's Hospital in St Paul MN. (House pathogens are recently isolated bacteria from patients used as lab standards including gram negative, gram positive and anaerobes)

Included were:

Bacteroidies fragilis
Klebsiella
Pseudomonas
E-coli
Strep and Staph and hemolytic strep
Candida albicans
and many others. I did two sets of tests with controls on two separate occaisions.

Using the various Colloidal Silver products I found no inhibition of any bacteria or yeast at any strength at any time.

The controls using the Kirby-Bauer method of antibiotic sensitivity were normal and showed clearly visable rings of inhibited bacterial growth. (Dry paper disks saturated with antibiotics were placed on the agar)

The CS was added to 4 mm wells punched into the agar and CS was added to fill the wells to over full. The CS in time was fully absorbed into the agar. CS placed directly on top of the agar also had no effect on growth inhibition.

Bacteria grown in thioglycolate broth was inoculated with either 1 CC or 10 CCs of CS added to the nutrient-broth. No inhibition was found in liquid media or on the agar plates.

I could not confirm one claim of the manufacturers, so I researched the original references cited only to find gross exagerations, of the original references and at times claims completely unsupported by the references used. It was as though the manufactureres were slapping citations on their product by borrowing them from someone elses product without having actually read the original work.

I have seen the claims of so called "ionic-silver" and I have two comments. True ionic silver is not Colloidal silver, it is silver with a positive charge by electron imbalance of its normal octet of electron.

Silver Ion is a whole different species of silver from silver metal. Ag + ion the ions in other salts, is very chemically reactive. These products are not CS and are the compounds often chastized by CS manufacturers as causing argyria. ( argyria is caused by any silver accumulating in the body whether it is metal or ionic, some of this silver can form UV sensitive compounds and the greying of the skin can occur in sunlight and is non reversable.)

The other reference of so called "IONIC-Silver is what is sometimes referred to a clump of silver metal atoms having essentially a static charge of one extra electron. (Silver Hydrosol type products)

This is not a true ionic compound because the outer shell of electrons in the silver is not affected. I have seen amazing unproven claims that this static-like charge can make everything right with Colloidal Silver.

People can believe what they want and take what they want, but I don't like what I see or hear about the new products, and I have never been paid by anyone to make, sell, or distribute or recommend CS, but I did enthusiastically turn down a morally disturbing offer made by the now defunct KAIRE company. Nor have I been paid to bash these products. Incidently my conlusions were also corroborated a year later by a research pharmacist (Pharm-D) who did her own work. I will see if she will post her complete work and findings.

My only conclusion from my work is is this:

Having tested one dozen CS preparations from various manufacturers ranging in strengths from 20 ppm to 300 ppm, I could not find any significant inhibition of 12 bacterial and fungal pathogens using the products at full strength as compared to standard antibiotic sensitivity testing by the Kirby-Bauer method.

That is my work I stand by it.

PS: I invite any patient to contact a local hospital bacteriology lab especially in a teaching hospital and see if they will test your CS product against a known pathogen.

If they say yes, keep it very simple and choose one pathogen of your choice but something that the manufacturer says it will kill. (Most say it kills everything In one lecture in San Francisco this Spring, the practishoner giving the talk said: "There is no need to steralize the container that the CS will be placed into for the IV because it is self steralizing and in one minute the CS will kill all the bacteria in whatever container you put it in.!)

A bold and perhaps reckless statement that makes me fear this industry.

A test of a single pathogen would cost maybe $100-200, it is an excellent project for a new MED-Tech student and maybe contact a med-tech school and see if they will accept a donation to do a simple test? Then you can base an opinion on more than just a couple of claims and tests.

--------------

As an aside after heated debate on the phone with a home manufactuirer of CS he sent me his product to be tested, it smelled of bleach and had a pH over 12, so I used a bottle obtained from another source and it tested pH of 7 and had no inhibitory affect.

Caveat emptor

Tom Grier

Posts: 29 | From Duluth, MN, USA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DawnE
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3155

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DawnE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sandy, I take one tablespoon per day of a brand called "Molecula Silver" which is 2,000 PPM.
Is that considered a lot or a little?

DawnE

Posts: 158 | From Great Neck, New York | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 14 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DawnE
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3155

Oh, by the way, this is to Pq. Since silver is a bandaid approach to treating Lyme Disease, this must mean that you know the actual cure. Please do inform me and anyone else like me that spent 7 years taking every antibiotic and combo known to man, treating every co-infection just in case,taking every new natural remedy claiming to be the answer and another 2 years rifing. I have been keeping myself stable with the silver while I have been waiting for a real cure. This is very exciting that the cure is finally here, please do tell me what it is.

DawnE

lymie tony z
Member # 5130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie tony z     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ya know,

I've been hearing of this stuff for years...and every now and then it comes back on this board...

Personally I think that's too bad for those really looking for sound advice here.

If this stuff is soo good why have'nt we heard about it on the Today show or Montel or maybe we should ask his resident psychic Sylvia to tell us the cure......

Hey if it REALLY works for you get published or keep still.

zman [Mad]

--------------------
I am not a doctor...opinions expressed are from personal experiences only and should never be viewed as coming from a healthcare provider. zman

Posts: 2527 | From safety harbor florida(origin Cleve., Ohio | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
8man12
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7664

The news is out there you just have to read.I look at 99.9% of the herbs on this board,there are no universty trials etc.I dont know Mr. Grier,but i read another one of his articles that stated you need to keep antibiotics in your system for a year and a half strait,to kill BB.Well im certain there is people on here who will tell ya that sometimes dont work.Good silver is out there,it has microscopic particles that can make it to were the BB can hide from antibiotics.Mmost are finding that lyme disease isnt cureable.Antibiotics need to be taken for life.There are many with lyme that take it and do well,thats why i posted it.I make my own,so im not selling anything here,just trying to help.Can anyone give me a reference were Arteminisin,is a cyst buster,thats the best one ive heard.BUT,maybe it works for some.
karatelady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karatelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DawnE,

I don't know if that is a lot or a little. I have some here at home, that's why I asked.

Sandy

Posts: 686 | From Northeast Georgia | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
8man12
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7664

i would go to the site of the manufacture,maybe they have a site on the net.
pq
Member # 6886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Ho! DawnE,

Not withstanding your experiental/existential sagacity with respect to your therapeutic gains with the use of silver,please re-read my post, and the recent,sci.med...lyme mention of new silver product(s)--silver-impregnated bandaids.

Neither explicitly, nor implicitly did i negate, minimize,mock, demean or deny your results with silver intake.

Curad is a company that makes bandaids; one of its new types of bandaid(s) contains some kind of silver formulation.
maybe its CS, i don't know.

good luck

Posts: 2708 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dawn, Read 8man's first link. I don't know much about silver, but they mention 100 PPM.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DolphinLady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6275

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DolphinLady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As with other treatments you have to know what you're doing or work with someone who does.

I would only pursue this if I could work with someone who has a LONG SUCCESSFUL track record using colloidal silver for chronic lyme (as is my case).

It's too risky otherwise IMHO.

Posts: 925 | From California | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DawnE
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3155

Dear Pq, please accept my sincere apologies for mistaking your comment as a sarcastic remark instead of the helpful one you intended. I guess I am always on the defensive as this is a disease that gets little understanding from the mainstream medical community and most healthy people in general.
Thank you Lymetutu for your advice and also DolphinLady for your concern. I am under the care of a natruapathic practicioner who prescribed the CS for me however I was just trying to get opinions from others who are also taking it and compare to their dosage.

Be Well All,
DawnE

pq
Member # 6886

DawnE,

I accecpt your apology [group hug] I understand [Wink]

pq

8man12
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7664

BYU University,tests silver against antibiotics.

According to Dr. Ron Leavitt of BYU University, as reported by Deseret News,
Tuesday, May 16, 2000, a quality colloidal silver may serve as a suitable
antibiotic alternative.

Lois Collins of Deseret News quotes Dr. Leavitt as writing "The data
suggests that with the low toxicity associated with colloidal silver, in
general, and the broad spectrum of antimicrobial activity of this colloidal
silver preparation, this preparation may be effectively used as an
alternative to antibiotics."

The original study tested ASAP colloidal silver against tetracyclines,
fluorinated quinolones (Ofloxacin), the penicillins, the cephalosporins
(Cefaperazone) and the macrolides (Erythromycin). Among the microbes tested
were streptococcuses, pneumonia, E. coli, salmonella, and shigella.

BACTERIA TESTING

Microbiology Department
Brigham Young University
775 WIDB
P.O. Box 25253
Provo, Utah 84602-5253

May 13, 1999

American Silver's Antibacterial Product (ASAP Solution)Testing Results
Summary

The following results suggest that American Silver's ASAP solution is a
broad spectrum antimicrobial agent-it is able to effectively stop the growth
of, and in fact kill, a variety of bacteria.

American Silver's ASAP Silver Supplement has been tested against the
following organisms.

Staphylococcus aureus (Pneumonia, eye infections, skin infections (boils,
impetigo, cellulitis, and post-operative wound infections), toxic shock
syndrome, meningitis, food poisoning, osteomyelitis, and many others)
inhibited @ 2.5 ppm and killed @ 5 ppm. 1/22/99 BYU Report.

Shigella boydii (Bacillary dysentery-characterized by severe cramping
abdominal pain and bloody diarrhea) inhibited @ 1.25 ppm and killed @ 2.5
ppm. 1/22/99 BYU Report.

Salmonella arizona (Food poisoning, etc.) inhibited @ 2.5 ppm and killed @ 5
ppm. 1/28/99 BYU Report.

Salmonella typhimurium (Food poisoning and enteric fever) inhibited and
killed at a concentration of 2.5 ppm. 6/7/99 BYU Report.

E. coli (Food poisoning, urinary tract infections, traveler's diarrhea,
diarrhea in infants, respiratory tract infections, and wound infections)
inhibited and killed @ 2.5 ppm. 1/22/99 BYU Report.

Haemophilus influenzae (Otitis media (ear infection), pneumonia, meningitis,
throat and sinus infections (including epiglottitis in children and
sinusitis), and suppurative arthritis in children) inhibited and killed @
1.25 ppm. 1/22/99 BYU Report.

Enterobacter aerogenes ( wound infections, urinary tract infections,
bacteremia, and meningitis) inhibited and killed at a concentration of 2.5
ppm. 6/7/99 BYU Report.

Enterobacter cloacae ( causes ilnesses similar to the E. aerogenes)
inhibited and killed at a concentration of 5 ppm. 6/7/99 BYU Report.

Klebsiella pneumoniae (lower respiratory tract infections, nosocomial
infections (infections spread in hospitals), urinary tract and wound
infections, and bacteremia) inhibited and killed @ 2.5 ppm. 1/28/99 BYU
Report.

Klebsiella oxytoca, (Similar to those infections caused by K. pneumoniae)
inhibited and killed at a concentration of 2.5 ppm. 6/7/99 BYU Report.

Pseudomonas aeruginosa (severe burn and wound infections, keratitis,
pneumonia, meningitis, nosocomial infections, urinary tract infections,
etc.) inhibited @ 2.5 ppm and killed @ 5 ppm. 1/22/99 BYU Report.

Streptococcus pneumoniae (pneumonia, meningitis, sinusitis, otitis media
(ear infection) inhibited @ 2.5 ppm and killed @ 5 ppm. 4/21/99 BYU Report.

Streptococcus pyogenes (skin infections, upper respiratory infections (i.e.
strep throat) impetigo, hospital-acquired infections, scarlet fever, etc.)
inhibited and killed @ 1.25 ppm. 1/22/99 BYU Report.

Streptococcus faecalis (Urinary tract infections, endocarditis, wound
infections, etc.) inhibited @ 2.5 ppm and killed @ 5 ppm. 1/22/99 BYU
Report.

Streptococcus mutans (A major cause dental plaque and tooth decay etc.)
inhibited and killed @ 5 ppm. 2/3/99 BYU Report.

Streptococcus gordonii (Tooth decay, also implicated in infective
endocarditis-an infection of the heart valves) inhibited and killed @ 5 ppm.
BYU Report 2/12/99.

David A. Revelli

Microbiologist

Brigham Young University

Dr. Ron W. Leavitt, Ph.D.

Professor of Microbiology/Molecular Biology

Brigham Young University

Beverly
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 1271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beverly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a very interesting topic, but I would not take CS either.

[ 23. September 2005, 06:08 PM: Message edited by: Beverly ]

Posts: 6638 | From Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 8man12:
BYU University,tests silver against antibiotics.

According to Dr. Ron Leavitt of BYU University, as reported by Deseret News,
Tuesday, May 16, 2000, a quality colloidal silver may serve as a suitable
antibiotic alternative.

Lois Collins of Deseret News quotes Dr. Leavitt as writing "The data
suggests that with the low toxicity associated with colloidal silver, in
general, and the broad spectrum of antimicrobial activity of this colloidal
silver preparation, this preparation may be effectively used as an
alternative to antibiotics."

The original study tested ASAP colloidal silver against tetracyclines,
fluorinated quinolones (Ofloxacin), the penicillins, the cephalosporins
(Cefaperazone) and the macrolides (Erythromycin). Among the microbes tested
were streptococcuses, pneumonia, E. coli, salmonella, and shigella.

BACTERIA TESTING

Microbiology Department
Brigham Young University
775 WIDB
P.O. Box 25253
Provo, Utah 84602-5253

May 13, 1999

American Silver's Antibacterial Product (ASAP Solution)Testing Results
Summary

The following results suggest that American Silver's ASAP solution is a
broad spectrum antimicrobial agent-it is able to effectively stop the growth
of, and in fact kill, a variety of bacteria.

American Silver's ASAP Silver Supplement has been tested against the
following organisms.

Staphylococcus aureus (Pneumonia, eye infections, skin infections (boils,
impetigo, cellulitis, and post-operative wound infections), toxic shock
syndrome, meningitis, food poisoning, osteomyelitis, and many others)
inhibited @ 2.5 ppm and killed @ 5 ppm. 1/22/99 BYU Report.

Shigella boydii (Bacillary dysentery-characterized by severe cramping
abdominal pain and bloody diarrhea) inhibited @ 1.25 ppm and killed @ 2.5
ppm. 1/22/99 BYU Report.

Salmonella arizona (Food poisoning, etc.) inhibited @ 2.5 ppm and killed @ 5
ppm. 1/28/99 BYU Report.

Salmonella typhimurium (Food poisoning and enteric fever) inhibited and
killed at a concentration of 2.5 ppm. 6/7/99 BYU Report.

E. coli (Food poisoning, urinary tract infections, traveler's diarrhea,
diarrhea in infants, respiratory tract infections, and wound infections)
inhibited and killed @ 2.5 ppm. 1/22/99 BYU Report.

Haemophilus influenzae (Otitis media (ear infection), pneumonia, meningitis,
throat and sinus infections (including epiglottitis in children and
sinusitis), and suppurative arthritis in children) inhibited and killed @
1.25 ppm. 1/22/99 BYU Report.

Enterobacter aerogenes ( wound infections, urinary tract infections,
bacteremia, and meningitis) inhibited and killed at a concentration of 2.5
ppm. 6/7/99 BYU Report.

Enterobacter cloacae ( causes ilnesses similar to the E. aerogenes)
inhibited and killed at a concentration of 5 ppm. 6/7/99 BYU Report.

Klebsiella pneumoniae (lower respiratory tract infections, nosocomial
infections (infections spread in hospitals), urinary tract and wound
infections, and bacteremia) inhibited and killed @ 2.5 ppm. 1/28/99 BYU
Report.

Klebsiella oxytoca, (Similar to those infections caused by K. pneumoniae)
inhibited and killed at a concentration of 2.5 ppm. 6/7/99 BYU Report.

Pseudomonas aeruginosa (severe burn and wound infections, keratitis,
pneumonia, meningitis, nosocomial infections, urinary tract infections,
etc.) inhibited @ 2.5 ppm and killed @ 5 ppm. 1/22/99 BYU Report.

Streptococcus pneumoniae (pneumonia, meningitis, sinusitis, otitis media
(ear infection) inhibited @ 2.5 ppm and killed @ 5 ppm. 4/21/99 BYU Report.

Streptococcus pyogenes (skin infections, upper respiratory infections (i.e.
strep throat) impetigo, hospital-acquired infections, scarlet fever, etc.)
inhibited and killed @ 1.25 ppm. 1/22/99 BYU Report.

Streptococcus faecalis (Urinary tract infections, endocarditis, wound
infections, etc.) inhibited @ 2.5 ppm and killed @ 5 ppm. 1/22/99 BYU
Report.

Streptococcus mutans (A major cause dental plaque and tooth decay etc.)
inhibited and killed @ 5 ppm. 2/3/99 BYU Report.

Streptococcus gordonii (Tooth decay, also implicated in infective
endocarditis-an infection of the heart valves) inhibited and killed @ 5 ppm.
BYU Report 2/12/99.

David A. Revelli

Microbiologist

Brigham Young University

Dr. Ron W. Leavitt, Ph.D.

Professor of Microbiology/Molecular Biology

Brigham Young University

You are quoting tons of stuff and no legitimate

links FDA CDC Etc. I search BYU NO RECORDS Checked out other ones they circle to originals.

Put some links that work right. [shake]

Colloidal Silver FDA

[ 23. September 2005, 12:28 PM: Message edited by: treepatrol ]

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
8man12
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7664

http://www.amsilver.com/bacteria.htm

good idea,the CDC...half here wouldnt be here because according to the CDC they dont have lyme.And if they did,the CDC follows the IDSA,guidliness.That menas most are cured.I dont see you posting under other herbal topics.I dont have the news link sorry it was 3 years ago.But the study was done,and the company is seeking FDA approval.They wont get it though,its to cheap to make.What do you take that is so helpful you might share with all of us lyme patients,im just eager to know,so i may try it.

riversinger
Member # 4851

I think Treepatrol is asking some very important and valid questions. I don't consider studies that can ONLY be found on a product's website to be very reliable. Anybody can write it and sign their name if there is no way to verify it.

I tracked down every single legitimate study that I could find when researching whether I should try silver IV or not. There was very little reputable material available. What little there was takes advantage of most people's (including mine) lack of knowledge about the various forms that these silver products come in.

Most of the claims for antibacterial properties are in fact for forms very different from what is available as colloidal or ionic silver. The studies do not relate to the products as claimed.

I don't know whether or not these products may possibly kill bacteria. I do know for a fact they are not as safe as claimed. And I was at the same conference as Tom Grier, where the doctor did in fact claim that you did not need to sterilize IV equipment that is used with IV silver.

I never used any silver IVs from that date on. Nobody even claims that for IV antibiotics! I wasn't willing to be the guinea pig to prove it wasn't safe, just like I proved the silver can damage the liver, and red, white and other blood cells. BTW, it is six months from my last silver IV, and I got my first clear liver function test since doing them.

People can certainly continue to use these products if they want to. It is a free country. Just know that not everything the companies selling them says is true.

--------------------
[email protected]

pq
Member # 6886

On the subject of using metals, in this case silver, for diseases,
I once knew of a physician who had unique approach to delivering metals, and many other elements of the Perioad Chart OF Elements in a form that minimized their toxicity, was able to deliver them to their targeted sites, and to do so in doses that were a fraction of the doses currently used, and, depending on the element, deliver them to targeted sites at very high doses that were minimally toxic, if at all, but only because of the form in which he gave them.

How? he hooked them up to lipids, saponafiable( primarily fatty acids,and esters there of), and, again, depending on the element, and other factors, un-saponafiable lipids.

with the different kinds of unsaturated fatty acids(e.g., such as those found in sesame oil,and other oils, he hooked them up,either to the double bonds, that occur at about the midpoint of the skeletal carbon chain of the fatty acid, and/or to the carbon atom of the skeletal carbon chain of the fatty acid that occurred next to a carbon atom that forme a double bond with another carbon atom in the linear, skeletal carbon chain of the fatty acid.

Schematic of a fatty acid and metal hook up(simplistic, and partial rendition of structure of fatty acid(carboxylic acid)):

Let M = a metal of your choosing
Let c = carbon atom
Let h = hydrogen atom
Let ... = an ellipsis to represent omitted part(s) of the skeletal carbon chain of an arbitrarily chosen, unsaturated fatty acid.

ch3...-c-c=c-c-c-...c=c-...cooh + M -----> ch3...-c-c-c-M-c-...c=c-...cooh and/ or ch3...-c-c-M-c-c=c...cooh.

Here,where the metal is bound to something, it is therefore, theoretically, less likely to indiscriminately bond with anything(i would think) than would unlikely singular, free, silver atoms(silver ions), and/or groups of silver atoms bound to each other, and that are thereby more "freely" available to bond with anything.

In all of his writings, including his medical treatise that i've studied, including studies of metals hooked up with lipids, silver, and gold did not appear once in his use of metals in treating a variety of diseases. However, he did use copper hooked up to a fatty acid.

I mention copper, and gold in the context of the discussion on silvre, because they appear in the same series of the Periodic Chart of Elements as silver. Member elements of the same series share similar, and same physico-chemical properities, depending on the physical and chemical conditions of environment they are found in; e.g., pH, temperature,pressure,etc. all three of these elements are still being used in many parts of the world for one disease or another.

he may have experimented with silver(and gold), but he never published on them that i know of, and both silver and gold are not once mentioned as part of any study published in his medical treatise, a magnus opus of his theory of approaching various diseases, but primarily cancer. Perhaps his successors did, but i don't know. He does have patents on various forms of metals, and other elements hooked up to unsat. fatty acids, and/or their esters.

while he has patents on most if not all the elements that were classically used in the treatment of syphilus, i neither have i seen them published in his own treatise, nor in peer reviewed journals.

if silver, in colloidal form or silver bound to another molecule, had any functional utility in killing spirochetes i think he would have published on it, at least in his own treatise, or have registered a patent on some form of silver for this purpose.

All said,this is not to deny the use of silver in various forms, at least topically as in the case silvedene, a topical cream in which a singular silver atom is hooked up to a molecule sulfadiazine( a sulfa- antibiotic), I believe.

[ 24. September 2005, 01:56 AM: Message edited by: pq ]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement