LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » flu-shot

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: flu-shot
heiwalove
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for heiwalove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what do you think about flu-shots, especially in lieu of the supposed oncoming pandemic flu? should we get flu-shots, because we have compromised immune systems?

~heather.

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/violinexplosion

Posts: 1848 | From seattle, wa | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
heiwalove
Member # 6467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for heiwalove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up

--------------------

Posts: 1848 | From seattle, wa | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beachcomber
Member # 5320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beachcomber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I won't get one. I did 1/2 dose 2 years ago and got the flu before I left the Dr's office. I had a reaction immediately.

If you do get one make sure it does not have Themerosol (sp?) in it, as I think that is a mercury derivative.

My MD gets it. My nurse does not. They both say I shouldn't.

Talk to your MD.

Posts: 1452 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
heiwalove
Member # 6467

thanks so much beachcomber. any more opinions?

--------------------

pattiecake
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6424

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pattiecake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't get it either. THimerosal is a big concern as mentioned....it is mercury.

there are a lot of good anti-virals out there like olive leaf extract and oil of oregano/. I keep them on hand at all times.

pattiecake

Posts: 687 | From PA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bugabooboo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7383

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bugabooboo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I won't get one.

I'm an RN, but have always been skeptical of them.

And like I trust the CDC more now??

I've got my rife and my colloidal silver...what more could a girl ask for?

Bug

--------------------
Every experience God gives us, every person He puts in our lives, is the perfect preparation for a future only He can see....Corrie Ten Boom

Posts: 343 | From Northcentral Iowa | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
heiwalove
Member # 6467

pattiecake,

does this mean you start taking these anti-virals as flu season approaches? or just if you feel yourself coming down with something?

thanks,
heather.

--------------------

heiwalove
Member # 6467

up

--------------------

Kara Tyson
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 939

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kara Tyson         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My feeling is that unless you have viturally no immune system (such as an HIV person)...I would think twice about taking it.

First, it isnt 100% effective. On a side note, the standard flu shot will not work for the Avian flu--that is a specific strain. By the time Avian gets here it will have mutated many more times.

Second, there are a whole lot of 'fillers' in the vaccines. Some of these are very dangerous. It isnt just mercury.

Vaccine Fillers and Ingredients

In addition to the viral and bacterial RNA or DNA that is part of the vaccines, vaccine fillers and ingredients include:

aluminum hydroxide
aluminum phosphate
ammonium sulfate
amphotericin B
animal tissues: pig blood, horse blood, rabbit brain,
dog kidney, monkey kidney,
chick embryo, chicken egg, duck egg
calf (bovine) serum
betapropiolactone
fetal bovine serum
formaldehyde
formalin
gelatin
glycerol
human diploid cells (originating from human aborted fetal tissue)
hydrolized gelatin
monosodium glutamate (MSG)
neomycin
neomycin sulfate
phenol red indicator
phenoxyethanol (antifreeze)
potassium diphosphate
potassium monophosphate
polymyxin B
polysorbate 20
polysorbate 80
porcine (pig) pancreatic hydrolysate of casein
residual MRC5 proteins
sorbitol
sucrose
thimerosal (mercury)
tri(n)butylphosphate,
VERO cells, a continuous line of monkey kidney cells
washed sheep red blood cells

[ 13. October 2005, 12:00 PM: Message edited by: Kara Tyson ]

--------------------
Kara Tyson
Lyme Disease Support Group Of Alabama--MobileChapter

Posts: 6022 | From Mobile, AL | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pattiecake
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6424

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pattiecake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HEather,
I take oil of oregano daily because it keeps yeast away. It works great.

I think the olive leaf extract is also a good thing to take during the season or if you feel something coming on right away.
pattiecake

Posts: 687 | From PA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clpgotlyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7875

Icon 1 posted      Profile for clpgotlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, but I am going against the flow. I have gotten a flu shot every year for the past 8 years with no problems.

Last year I couldnt get a shot and my kids did. Guess who got the flu? Every time I get the flu, I am very ill for several weeks, with sinus and bronchial infections.

I dont need that on top of my other problems. Before I started getting the flu shot, I got the flu every year! Only once have I still gotten the flu, but it was a mild case.
Cindy

--------------------
Cindy

Posts: 227 | From VA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
count me out

You'll be interested in this.

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=037900#000000

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikken
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mikken     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A big "no" on the flu shot here.
Posts: 369 | From Ohio | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
heiwalove
Member # 6467

that is the FREAKIEST list of fillers and ingredients i have ever seen in my life. it makes me shudder just to read it all. EEK.

--------------------

heiwalove
Member # 6467

thanks for all the responses, guys.

okay, no flu shot. ACK!!!

(i've gotten a bunch in the past (pre-lyme) and had no problems. i cringe to think what sort of crap that put into my body!)

thanks again.

~heather.

--------------------

Kara Tyson
Member # 939

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kara Tyson         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
heiwalove,

I am sure they could replace the fillers with less dangerous substances. There has got to be a way.

I had to have Hept. B shots for school. I broke out in BOILS.

--------------------
Kara Tyson
Lyme Disease Support Group Of Alabama--MobileChapter

Posts: 6022 | From Mobile, AL | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DolphinLady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6275

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DolphinLady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No flu shots for me either for reasons already mentioned.
Posts: 925 | From California | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I laid in a supply of Sambucol elderberry extract, on the strength of this article.

Black Elderberry Extract Shortens Flu Duration by Half
Springville UT, 10 December 2003

Sambucol�, an all-natural, proprietary black elderberry extract (Sambucus nigra L.) distributed by Nature's Way Products, Inc., reduces symptoms and shortens duration of flu types A & B, finds a clinical study accepted for publication in The Journal of International Medical Research.

On average, flu patients given Sambucol recovered in 3.1 days compared to 7.1 days for those given placebo. Fifty-four patients with verified type A flu and six with type B (29 females/31 males aged 18 to 54 years) were enrolled in the double-blind, placebo-controlled study conducted through the University of Oslo School of Medicine, Norway. Study participants were randomly assigned to two groups, with one given Sambucol (1 tbsp) and the other placebo four times a day for five days. No significant side effects were reported.

A previous study published by The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine found that nearly 90 percent of flu patients given Sambucol were completely free of symptoms within two to three days, as compared to at least six days with placebo.

These clinical studies confirm the effectiveness of Sambucol black elderberry extract in shortening the duration and reducing the severity of flu. Black elderberry has not, however, been tested as a flu preventative, nor is it intended as a substitute for flu vaccine.

"Sambucol is one of our best treatments for the flu, especially when taken at first sign of symptoms," says Dr. Madeleine Mumcuoglu, a prominent Israeli virologist and developer of the Sambucol extract. "Flu viruses are covered by tiny protein spikes of hemagglutinin, which they use to attach to, and infect, healthy human cells," she says. "While working on my doctoral thesis we isolated key active substances within black elderberry that disarm hemagglutinin and thus stop the first step of viral invasion."

Dr. Russell Greenfield, a leading American practitioner of integrative medicine and Medical Director of Carolina's Integrative Health, also advocates treating flu with black elderberry. "It can be given to children and adults, and with no known side effects or negative interactions," he says. But don't expect grandma's elderberry jam to ease flu-related body aches, cough and fever warns Dr. Greenfield. "Sambucol is the only black elderberry preparation shown effective in clinical studies."

Available in formulas for children and adults, Sambucol is sold in health and nutrition stores nationwide. Nature's Way Products, Inc., of Springville UT, distributes Sambucol throughout the United States and Canada. Nature's Way is a leading manufacturer and marketer of dietary supplements and homeopathic medicines.

Sambucol is classified as a dietary supplement, rather than a drug approved by the Food and Drug Administration for the prevention, cure or treatment of the flu. It is not intended as a substitute for flu vaccine, which is advisable for children and adults--especially those over age 50 or with compromised immune function.

Reference

Zakay-Rones Z, et al. "Inhibition of Several Strains of Influenza Virus in Vitro and Reduction of Symptoms by an Elderberry Extract (Sambucus nigra L.) during an Outbreak of Influenza B Panama." Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, 1995;1:361-369.

Source
Nature's Way Products, Inc.

http://www.supplementquality.com/efficacy/sambucol_flu.html

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement