LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Larium?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Larium?
suki444
Unregistered

Icon 9 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi
I would like to know others experiences of taking this drug. I have read of the horrendous side effects some people have but my LLMD says that it is related to having brain inflammation in the first instance.

I have persistent Babs so have little choice but to take it (have done much Mepron + Zith + artemesia). I would like to know how others fared on it!

Did it get rid of your babesia and how bad were the side effects? How long did you take it for??

Many thanks
Emma

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 6 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried it and it made me severely depressed for days, and have anxiety and confusion too. I only took one pill and had to stop. Others have better experiences and it is a really good drug for babesia. Have you tried Mepron/Zithromax/Artemesia?
I would try the Larium and do what your doctor says, just because some peole have had bad experiences doesn't mean you will. I know of several people who it cured their babesia, and quickly.

seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't know what type of neuro symptoms you have or what other meds you are taking. Both would make a big difference in response in my opinion.

Also, if you take this would advise taking as many antioxidants as possible -- COQ10 400mg or more, Resveratrol (may need to work up slowly on dose) and other things like Pychnogenol and Vitamin C. These things all help with brain inflammation. Also phosphatidylcholine as well.

If you are on any psychotropic drugs for moods or sleep then that would also compound the situation.

Hubby had what may have been an allergic reaction to Mepron so he tried Larium.

As far as I remember this was the only tick-borne med he was on besides Artemesinin (he never herxed from that as far as I could tell). He was taking Depakote for seizures also -- which didn't really work. Plus IV Ativan.

Anyway you take one pill every 5 days -- he managed to take 3 pills before stopping. Waited 2 or 3 weeks and tried again -- stopped after 1 pill that time.

Was doing all the detox things and antioxidants except for no resveratrol or phosphatidylcholine -- still could not tolerate the side effects of this med.

Greatly increased his tremors/myoclonus/seizure-like episodes and the mood swings were really bad. Also if I remember correctly he had lots worse problems sleeping as well.

I think if he had taken 1 or 2 more doses the 1st time round he might have ended up in the psych ward. It wasn't anything specific -- just overall depression, anxiety, anger as far as I remember.

The clindamycin/quinine combo was much better tolerated, but I don't think it quite did the job so he is going back on this or something else for babesia this week. To prevent side effects from the quinine, the LLMD hubby sees rotates off the clindamycin/quinine in cycles onto another antibiotic. Hubby was on 10 days on and off cycles for 4 months last time.

Another med to add to the list Liz provided is Flagyl. Some LLMD's feel this works on babs. Hubby thought so, but again neuro side effects were too great -- he could only take 1/4 pill a day and stopped after a couple of weeks.

This is one tough bug.

As long as you are aware of potential problems I think that should help, but if problems develop stop the med ASAP.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some people have used clindamycin + quinine to treat babs.

Also, have you checked to see whether riamet is available there? That might be an alternative to lariam.

Also, do a search for liz's posts on refractory babesia. She felt primaquine might be a useful drug. Some have used septra in a combo too. This protocol has been posted here before.

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
robin_wachs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3525

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robin_wachs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took mepron and then Lariam a few years ago. The Larium was horrendous, but it did the job. The worst part about the Larium was anxiety which I had to use Lorazepam for. Often there were panic attacks and feelings like I was having a heart attack-acutally took an ambulance ride on my 3rd day of Larium because I didn't know what was happening. DX-side effects of Larium. The stuff did work. Even after I stopped the Larium I still had anxiety for a while but it eventually went away.

As we speak, I am just beginning Babs treatment using Mepron again for a relapse, but it's been about 3 years since I took the Larium. Larium, awful stuff, but it works.

Just a note to Mepron users. Another poster recommended using CoQ10. My doc has advised me not to use CoQ10 while on Mepron, it messes with its absorption efficacy.

Robin

Posts: 103 | From California | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suki444
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi

Thanks for the responses...my neuro symptoms on Atov are brain fog, light sensitivity and black moods. I am on no other drugs for neuro or sleep issues.

WildC
I have tried the Mepron/Zith/Artemesia and added in Bactrim...have the same doc as you, my European babs is proving tough to control tho.

Actually I have just tried Clindamycin for a bladder infection and cannot tolerate it, makes me run to the loo so have had to stop. So that and quinine would not go down well I fear.

Just worried I will not make it into work the few afternoons I do because of psych stuff...do the side effects take a while to wear off?

thanks everyone
Emma

liz28
Unregistered

Hi, Suki. Two people have written privately today to say they went into severe depressions on lariam.

And also, you may want to check out the dosages described in some replies here. Isn't the regular lariam dosage one pill a week, not one a day?

DolphinLady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6275

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DolphinLady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up
Posts: 925 | From California | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suki444
Unregistered

Hi Liz

Yes the dose is one 250mg pill every five days however my LLMD wants me to take Atovaquone with it too at first, and stay on Biaxin and Artemesia.

Just a bit scared of the side effects! In 8 days time I have to start it at half dose.

I think the depression is herx, Atov used to affect me that way badly at first.

Emma

savebabe
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for savebabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am currenlty taking lariam with no horrible side effects.
Posts: 1603 | From ny | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement