LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » HOW MANY HAVE BAKER'S CYSTS?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: HOW MANY HAVE BAKER'S CYSTS?
daystar1952
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daystar1952     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Lyme literate doctor checks many out for Baker's cysts which he says are indicative of Lyme Disease. Because this is may be an objective sign of lyme, it might be worth checking out to see if you have them....especially if a diagnosis is in question. I never knew anything about them till a year or so ago.

The back of your knee is supposed to dent inward. Check to see if when standing with legs straight, if you can feel or notice a rounded lump in the back of your knee(s)

I have never really had problems with my knees...my lyme was mostly neuro but I was surprised to see that I do have baker's cysts.

Margie

Posts: 1176 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sure its not bartonella?
 -

Bakers cyst
 -

Thats about the only thing I havent had

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lesley
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8678

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lesley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OMG!!!

for two years i have asked my doctor, physio, homeopath and everyone else why i had a huge lump on the inside part of my knee..facing the other leg. I have very thin legs so it is very noticable....no one could tell me what it was...

it looks just like the picture....thanks for the info...i am printing it off and bringing to my doc today!!

lesley

Posts: 120 | From NB Canada | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daystar1952
Member # 3255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daystar1952     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tree Patrol......Thanks so much for the pictures. Why are you thinking Bartonella might cause it? That's interesting

Margie

Posts: 1176 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bartonella can cause these bumps also stripes like weight loss and its one of the top coinfections.

--------------------
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bpeck
Member # 3235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bpeck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a diagnosed Bakers cyst behind my right knee for many years. Osteo Dr. said it would only get bigger as I aged.

But then I found out I had Lyme, and it went on abx.. and somewhere during therapy it went away.

So yah- I had one.
Barb

Posts: 1875 | From VT | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cbb
Member # 788

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cbb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My father had a Baker's cyst on his elbow.
Posts: 4638 | From South Carolina | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suki444
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do they hurt?

Emma

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tj33
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7214

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tj33     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow!!!
I have seen those lumps on my wife and they went away after 14 months of chemo for breast cancer... I didn't think anything about it...

She is lyme free ( all symptons are gone ) now and the cancer is gone...

Just my opinion, but I believe the chemo killed the lyme bugs as well as the cancer....

I have seen the lumps on my wife's relatives. They and she are from Wisconsin... I have always suspected they had Lyme from their medical problems but, when I mention it they laugh at me.

Thanks for fantistic information Daystar!!!

God Bless all
Tj

Posts: 192 | From Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daystar1952
Member # 3255

No, my cysts behind the knee don't hurt. In fact I didn't even know I had them till the doc drew my attention to them. They don't really look that abnormal...you just might think the backs of my knees were chubby :-)
lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I have them behind both knees. Showed up when the joint problems were actually getting better, which was puzzling. And still there after several years.
Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krazykt1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3739

Icon 1 posted      Profile for krazykt1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me too..behind my right knee..showed up when I was a month into abx (three years ago now) It seems to be getting a little smaller with tx...
Posts: 740 | From BC Canada | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth in MN
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8466

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elizabeth in MN   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have one, too! Behind my right knee on the inside. My massage therapist noticed it last year. My PCP had no idea what it was. Thanks for bringing it up!

--------------------
Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first.
Come visit my blog! http://forcesofnature.wordpress.com/

Posts: 126 | From Minnesota | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?CMD=search&DB=pubmed

J Clin Rheumatol. 2006 Jun;12(3):160-2.

Lyme disease presenting with sequential episodes of ruptured baker cysts.

Bhambhani N, Disla E, Cuppari G.

Cabrini Medical Center, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY.

PMID: 16755252 [PubMed - in process]

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Member # 81

Ann Med Interne (Paris). 1995;146(3):208-9.

[Rupture of popliteal cyst with belated disclosure of Lyme disease]

[Article in French]

Mouly S, Van Reeth C, Bergmann JF, Segrestaa JM.

Publication Types:

* Case Reports
* Letter

PMID: 7653934 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

treepatrol
Member # 4117

Something just hit between the eyes Lou.
After reading your ruptured baker cysts headline
Those tendons I tore 2 while on levaquin and 1 just lyme before levaquin Now I wonder if these bakers cysts burst and caused to much stress and when I pressured the tendon is why they tore?

And not the levaquin after all? and 1 tore while I was just on a normal abx.
Levaquin penitrates deeply maybe thats whats going on?

--------------------

Newbie Links

treepatrol
Member # 4117

pq
Frequent Contributor
Member # 6886

posted 27 June, 2006 11:14 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Someone inquired about this in a different thread.
courtesy of georgia(the real one) on sci.med...lyme
J Clin Rheumatol. 2006 Jun;12(3):160-2.

Lyme disease presenting with sequential episodes of ruptured baker
cysts.

Bhambhani N, Disla E, Cuppari G.

Cabrini Medical Center, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York,
NY.

PMID: 16755252

from
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=045273

--------------------

Newbie Links

jsnyde2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7888

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jsnyde2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have bakers cysts - my LLMD told me at my last appointment that is the only swelling left anywhere. Previously I was a swelling machine.
She thinks they will go away eventually and I had problems with a knee tendon too when I was on Tini and Zith.

Posts: 351 | From La Crosse, WI | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarsyNY
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7766

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MarsyNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gee I was just looking for what might be causing
tiny very itchy red bumbs on my arm when I stumbled across this post.

LLMd asked me if I had Bakers cysts on my first visit, I said no. Figured I would know if I had
them. I had no clue as to what they were when I answered. Anyway I have them on both knees.

The back of my knees hurt so bad for a couple
of weeks before I started antibiotic. Was thinking tendonitis. That went away, the reverse
knees are still here..

Posts: 465 | From New York, NY | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
von
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8333

Icon 1 posted      Profile for von     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Arm pit picture. Was that a person with bartonella or was it a baker's cyst? Can you get baker's in your pits? They are just below a joint.

????
I have lumps in both arm pits. They are much smaller then the picture. (maybe 1/4th the size)but in that same spot.
My regular PC said they were polycystic breast tissue. But I am wondering.....

Posts: 258 | From Washington State | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayda
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10565

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kayda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I have Baker's cysts on both knees!

Do you know anything about fatty lipomas???? Are they cysts, too? I've had a few removed and they return.

My mom & grandfather had lipomas, too. Maybe we all have/had Lyme.

Kayda

Posts: 582 | From midwest | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sigh -- this is what I'm going through -- and what I want to know is, how do we know whether it's a lipoma or a cyst?

I had surgery on a growing lump in my thigh and it was an unencapsulated lipoma. Now it's spreading again and causing 24/7 knee pain. I am using an icepack 24/7, alternating with waving a red light machine over swollen areas. Other pain relieving tips?

I also have had lumps growing everywhere in my calves and behind my knees. The Ultra mangosteen juice has successfully softened all the new lumps but not the oldest lipoma one.

I don't have a clue about the lipoma issue. Why does the body start making lipomas, either capsulated or unencapsulated? I don't think there's any science on it.

And how do we tell if we have Lyme arthritis? I don't have anyone medical to go to to tell me what's going on.

Basically, there are painful ripples spreading around my left knee. What kind of a symptom is this? How could we begin to find out what's happening? Any suggestions appreciated! Thx.

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymex5&counting
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymex5&counting     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I'm confused. By the pics I imagine a nickel sized lump that you can palpate and more to one side.

What I have is on the back of both knees where

peoples' usually are concave, my skin swells out

(Convex)like it is swollen. It is about a 2" in

diameter circular or more oval I guess like an egg.

But I always thought

the lymph glands there were just filled with

more fluid (backed up) or something. I thought it

seemed less swollen after MDL - Manual Lymphatic

Drainage. Myself and

3 Dr's think I have Bartonella. Only test

positive thru EDS, ART and by symptoms when on a

Quinolone. No positive test and haven't started

Rifampin yet.

So what is your opinion do I have Baker's Cysts?

Thanks, lyme x 9

Posts: 399 | From Texas | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bpeck
Member # 3235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bpeck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stop guessing & go get un-confused- go have an Xray.
Mine was the size of a baseball. Had it for several year- but It completely went away.
Barb

Posts: 1875 | From VT | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymex5&counting
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymex5&counting     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay sometimes I get such tunnel vision being on

this site. I forget to do google searches.

Since I know you guys have all the answers. [Wink]

Mayo says it is the texture of a water balloon.

So I would say YES I have them.

Posts: 399 | From Texas | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mvcynthia
Member # 10583

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mvcynthia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also have a bakers cyst behind my right knee. I just finished 28 days iv rosephrin and it is still there. Chrio. relieved my severve headache last mon. As a last resort I went to him as pain med. was not working at all, even after they gave me something stronger. I am sooo relieved and looking foward to meeting my lyme md next sat. How long do I need to be off abx before I can send my blood to igenex? Thanks
Posts: 9 | From martha's vineyard. ma | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9488

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A Baker's Cyst was my first indication of something wrong in my body.

Do they hurt? Oh Yeah! At least mine did - it was nauseating pain until I finally got a cortisone injection and they drained the cyst. It tested negative for Lyme, but they didn't test for co-infections. And since it was early on and I hadn't yet researched tick-borne illnesses, I didn't know to ask.

Karen

Posts: 154 | From Medford, NJ | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Member # 4117

I have a cyst now it on my thumb little but I can shove it around dosent hurt.

I think its what I have now is Ganglion cyst not bakers cyst.

ganglion-cyst

--------------------

Newbie Links

treepatrol
Member # 4117

I have a strong suspicion bakers cysts are caused by brucellosis.

-

--------------------

Newbie Links

psano2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for psano2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have any of you actually had the fluid drained from one of these cysts? If it doesn't contain fluid then it's probably a gumma.
Posts: 975 | From California | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daystar1952
Member # 3255

In my original post I mentioned that the baker's cysts behind my knees were not causing me any problems but now it appears as if fluid from the cyst in my left knee may have seeped out around the knee joint?

It is now difficult to walk and bend my knee without pain. Just trying to see if others think the two things are connected. I had this happen once before and after a few weeks it got better and the knee pain went away. As long as I can hope it will go away....I can deal with it

glm1111
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Burgdorfer found Filarial Worms in the ticks and as an aside found the spirochetes.

All of the attention has gone to treating borrellia and the fact that Filarial Worms could be an even bigger problem has been virtually ignored. Why?

Microfilarial worms live in the lymphatic ducts and can progress to elephantiasis. They can obstruct the vessels causing the surrounding tissue to become enlarged.

Possibly bakers cysts? I think this could be a real possibility.

Check out

www.lymephotos.com

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Want to tell you that my Bakers Cysts of 17 years went completley away after about week 4 on IV Rocephin. It has been a year and they have not returned.

For me, definately caused by Lyme. Bb loves synovial fluid.

Feelfit

Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daystar1952
Member # 3255

Thanks for your responses! I wonder if antibiotics kill these worms. Another researcher has told me they are finding these worms in ticks.
Hmmmm

bpeck
Member # 3235

Bakers cysts are swellings inside the knee - and yes they can be from Lyme. They're also called popliteal cysts if you want to research it.

I had one for a long time in my right knee.. and it totally resolved and that kee is fine.......now with my Lyme relapse I have one in my left knee ( Have I said Lyme sucks?).. I'm on DOxy now to see if it resolves.

Barb

cindy_leigh
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cindy_leigh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have one in my knee. Can't see it visually, only on MRI.
Posts: 688 | From CT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Member # 4117

up

--------------------

Newbie Links

feelfit
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My bi-lateral Baker's Cysts have returned 2 1/2 years after they had resolved with IV rocephin.

Pereviously I had had them for 17 years and after 4 weeks on IV rocephin they were gone....not very encouraging that they're back now..

Has anyone had the fluid aspirated and tested for spirochetes?

feelfit

Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karenl
Member # 17753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karenl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had one behind the knee.

My grandfather got a big one on his arm at 95. he also got suddenly blind on both eyes and got then parkinson.
Except for this he never was sick in his life or took any medicine.But he did a footbath every week with salt only.

Posts: 1834 | From US | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement