LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » DIFFERENT map of Lyme Disease

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: DIFFERENT map of Lyme Disease
Truthfinder
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 8512

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Truthfinder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to the 2003 CDC Incidence map, in places like Colorado, Montana, North Dakota, and a few others, you have a better chance of getting hit by a meteor than contracting Lyme Disease: [Big Grin]
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/lyme/distribution_density.htm
or this ``risk map'':
http://www.aldf.com/usmap.shtml

Now compare that to this map that shows the incidence of positive Lyme test results in dogs in the USA:
http://www.idexx.com/animalhealth/testkits/3dx/lymemap.htm

How come my dog has a fair risk of getting Lyme, but I don't? Granted, he is in better shape to travel than I am, but he doesn't have any money so I doubt that he has been out of the state without my knowledge.

I thought this was worth looking at. Can't wait to show this map to my family doc. [rant]

Tracy

--------------------
Tracy
.... Prayers for the Lyme Community - every day at 6 p.m. Pacific Time and 9 p.m. Eastern Time � just take a few moments to say a prayer wherever you are�.

Posts: 2966 | From Colorado | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Truthfinder:
According to the 2003 CDC Incidence map, in places like Colorado, Montana, North Dakota, and a few others, you have a better chance of getting hit by a meteor than contracting Lyme Disease: [Big Grin]
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/lyme/distribution_density.htm
or this ``risk map'':
http://www.aldf.com/usmap.shtml

Now compare that to this map that shows the incidence of positive Lyme test results in dogs in the USA:
http://www.idexx.com/animalhealth/testkits/3dx/lymemap.htm

How come my dog has a fair risk of getting Lyme, but I don't? Granted, he is in better shape to travel than I am, but he doesn't have any money so I doubt that he has been out of the state without my knowledge.

I thought this was worth looking at. Can't wait to show this map to my family doc. [rant]

Tracy

Very good find!!! [bow] Good comparison!!!!

Heres CDC 2004

-

IDEXX for animals:

-

ALDF :

-

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Truth,

Great map. Actually though, I do think that many of the dogs being tested for Lyme do travel -- dog shows require testing I think and also greyhound race tracks I am pretty sure.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minimonkey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minimonkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Certainly dogs do travel, but rarely without their people in tow... if a
dog has lyme ticks, then what argument makes any sense against people having exposure to the very same ticks? Not to mention other possible vectors like lice, mites, fleas...??? Bear in mind, too, that these maps are the *reported* cases of lyme, meaning a scant percentage of the real cases in all likelihood.

I'm fortunate (in a backwards sort of way) in that I got a series of tick bites and circular rashes in one of those "identified areas* (Humboldt County, northern California coast) that even the CDC recognises as a moderate/high risk area. Plus I had a CDC positive Western Blot -- so even the ducks have a hard time quakking much of an argument against my having Lyme.

--------------------
"Looks like freedom but it feels like death..
It's something in between, I guess"

Leonard Cohen, from the song "Closing Time"

Posts: 822 | From California | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meg
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 22

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Meg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Tree!

I see a dot at my house [Big Grin]

--------------------
Success Stories---Treatment Guidelines

Posts: 10010 | From somewhERE OVER THE Rainbow | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Member # 7348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the maps, truthfinder.

You know... I tried reporting myself to the health department in 1993 when I was diagnosed and again when I had a CDC positive test.

They wouldn't take a report from me and wouldn't accept one from an out of state doc. I lived on the NY/NJ border.

I should have called a Vet. I wonder if I still can? I'd really like to be counted somewhere. [Wink]

woof!

--------------------
more light, more love
more truth and more innovation

Posts: 3783 | From somewhere other than here | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it me, or does the CDC have a dot on Plum Island?

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great maps but it would be good to see a bit more data on the IDEXX map such as what period of time does the data apply to, 1 year, 2 years, all years??

Anyone know?
Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Areneli
Member # 6740

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Areneli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyme disease is clearly overdiagnozed in dogs [Smile]
Posts: 1538 | From Planet Earth | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boomerang
Member # 7979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boomerang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great maps!
Posts: 1366 | From Southeast | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lucy96734
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8372

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lucy96734     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We don't even make the maps out here in Hawaii and that is why even though I lived in Humboldt County and told my MDs, the ones here had and have no idea about Lyme.

My current LLMD in CA sees 9 patients from Hawaii and I know of 2 others that see another LLMD in CA. Our state doesn't have Lyme [Smile]

--------------------
Lucy

Posts: 342 | From Hawaii | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Truthfinder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good comments and questions.....

Woof . Loved that one.

Thanks for putting the maps up there, Tree.

Bea, dogs do travel. But I talked to my vet, and he has tested dogs here and found Lyme in dogs that have never been out of the area. We are a small, rural community. No greyhounds or show dogs.

I talked to another vet in town and he said that while he generally does not test for Lyme or other TBDs in dogs, he does treat them for it. He says he recognizes the symptoms and treats them for a ``doxycycline deficiency'' with good results.

I haven't talked to the third vet in town.

Terry, I didn't find any more data on the IDEXX map. Frankly, what I would like to see is a CDC map that was more of a ``cumulative'' map, rather than just annual incidence maps. Because that can change a lot from year to year, especially in non-endemic states (if there is such a thing).

Lucy, I could not help but notice none of these entities put Alaska or Hawaii in there. But I think if you to view the stat tables at the CDC, they do acknowledge reported cases in both states.
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/lyme/ld_rptdLymeCasesbyState.htm

Maybe you guys in the ``we don't have Lyme here'' states should start talking to your local vets and see if they are testing for it and/or diagnosing TBDs. You might be surprised. I was. Could be some prima facie evidence there to thrust at your local ducks.

Tracy

--------------------
Tracy
.... Prayers for the Lyme Community - every day at 6 p.m. Pacific Time and 9 p.m. Eastern Time � just take a few moments to say a prayer wherever you are�.

Posts: 2966 | From Colorado | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Member # 7348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Truthfinder:
I talked to another vet in town and he said that while he generally does not test for Lyme or other TBDs in dogs, he does treat them for it. He says he recognizes the symptoms and treats them for a ``doxycycline deficiency'' with good results.

hehehehe, clever! [Smile]

I noticed that the maps didn't include Alaska and Hawaii, as well, and was wondering why not.

--------------------
more light, more love
more truth and more innovation

Posts: 3783 | From somewhere other than here | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hopeful4
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8486

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopeful4     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you Truthfinder for some great info. It does boggle the mind.

I became curious about the website with the Canine Lyme Results, and started to puruse it. It appears that they have some new type of testing for humans' best friend. Can any of this info help us humans with lyme out?

Take a look:

Background

Since 1995, the Centers for Disease Control
and Prevention (CDC) has recommended that
serological testing for Lyme disease consist
of a two-tiered approach--an initial screening
with an enzyme-linked immunoassay (ELISA)
or an indirect fluorescent antibody (IFA) test,

followed by a Western blot to corroborate a
positive or suspect test result.1 However, this
approach has limitations.

Limits of the Traditional Approach

The traditional approach is limited because
these tests measure antibodies to the whole
Borrelia burgdorferi organism (called wholecell
antibodies). Whole-cell antibodies elevate
after exposure or vaccination, and often
remain elevated after successful treatment.

Traditionally, dogs are only tested after clinical signs are evident. The lack of early clinical signs, such as erythema migrans, in infected dogs places greater importance on the
laboratory method used when diagnosing
canine Lyme disease.2

With recent research showing that subclinical infections of canine Lyme disease are more prevalent than once thought, the diagnostic approach to these cases should be reexamined.3

In addition, the traditional whole-cell antibody
tests often yield false-positive test results
due to cross-reaction with autoimmune
antibodies or infection from other tick-borne
diseases such as rickettsiosis, babesiosis
and ehrlichiosis.4

Also, current Lyme vaccines complicate the diagnostic usefulness of these tests and, in many cases, render them uninformative. For example, IFA and whole-cell ELISA tests cannot distinguish natural exposure from vaccine.

And, although the Western blot has been considered a useful tool to help distinguish exposure from vaccination, new research suggests
that interpretation can be challenging.5

Furthermore, the Western blot is techniquedependent, expensive and time-consuming.
The traditional tests are also limited because
they cannot be used to determine treatment
protocol and cannot measure response to
treatment.

Whole-cell antigens of the Borrelia
burgdorferi spirochete are assumed to be
rapidly sequestered by the follicular dendritic
cells (FDCs), resulting in long-lived B cell
memory. Therefore, dogs tested for whole-cell
antibodies rarely have a significant decrease
in antibody, even as successful treatment
lowers the Borrelia burgdorferi spirochete
numbers in the body.

The Benefits of C6 Technology

With the discovery of the C6 antigen and
the dog's unique antibody response to
it, IDEXX developed the SNAP� 3Dx�
test as a screening tool. C6 is a synthetic
peptide derived from VlsE, an outer-surface
immunodominant portion of Borrelia
burgdorferi.

Research into the antibody response to C6 at Tulane University and to VlsE at the University of Texas identified unique properties that are beneficial for Lyme diagnostics.

Tulane University scientists discovered that
the anti-C6 antibody response (often referred
to as the C6 antibody) is more sensitive
than whole-cell antigen in early infection,
detectable as early as three weeks postexposure.

Antibody to the C6 antigen is also
highly specific for B. burgdorferi infection.
Dogs with leptospirosis, Rocky Mountain
spotted fever, babesiosis, ehrlichiosis and
heartworm disease did not have antibodies
to C6. Nor were antibodies to C6 produced
in response to immunization with currently
available canine Lyme vaccines.6, 7

The benefits of C6 diagnostics are not
confined to the veterinary field. Because of
its sensitivity, specificity and the fact that it
does not cross-react with Lyme vaccinations,
C6 antibody is presently the major diagnostic
test for Lyme disease in the human field.8, 9

In fact, recent research indicates that the C6
ELISA alone is comparable or superior to
the traditional two-tiered testing method of
IFA and Western blot, and that decreases
in the titer of antibodies against C6 can
indicate a successful therapeutic outcome
for Lyme patients.10, 11, 12, 13, 14

These are major breakthroughs in the diagnosis and treatment of Lyme disease.

Diagnostic Testing for Canine Lyme Disease:
A New Two-Tiered Approach for Effective Management

Canine Lyme disease continues to spread across the country and there is great interest in managing this often subclinical
disease. IDEXX's new diagnostic test for canine Lyme disease allows you to identify infection and use valuable, measurable information to decide on a therapeutic plan and to monitor your treatment choice.

The new Lyme Quantitative C6 Antibody Test is a reference laboratory ELISA test based on measurement of antibody to the C6 antigen, the same unique antigen used in the SNAP� 3Dx� in-house screening test. The combination of these assays provides you with the latest diagnostic tools for a new two-tiered approach to managing Lyme disease: an in-house screen
with a follow-up quantitative assessment.

C6 Method

The Lyme Quantitative C6 Antibody Test
measures the level of C6 antibody--the
unique C6 antigen is associated with the
variable region only in live spirochetes.
Research has demonstrated that the C6
antibody declines rapidly and significantly
after effective treatment.

Lyme Quantitative C6 Antibody Test

* Highly specific
* Identifies infection
* Does not cross-react with currently
available Lyme vaccines
* C6 antibodies wane rapidly
post-treatment*

Lyme Quantitative C6 Antibody Test

* Quantitative, nonsubjective information
* Does not cross-react with vaccine
* Economical
* Informative post-treatment*

Whole-Cell Diagnostic Methods

Whole-cell diagnostic methods (IFA, KELA,
WB) measure the IgG antibodies produced
to numerous antigens on the ``whole''
spirochete. The persistence of these wholecell
antigens produce antibodies that are
present and remain elevated even when
spirochetes are reduced or eliminated.

IFA and Whole-Cell ELISA

* Nonspecific
* Unable to differentiate infection from
exposure to Borrelia burgdorferi
* Cross-reacts with vaccine antibodies
* Post-treatment titers typically remain
unchanged--uninformative**

Western Blot

* Subjective and technique-dependent
* May be unreliable in a vaccinated population
* Expensive
* Uninformative as post-treatment test**
*Straubinger RK, Straubinger AF.

Status of Borrelia burgdorferi infection after antibiotic treatment and the effect
of corticosteroids: an experimental study. Journal of Infectious Diseases. 2000;181:1069-1081.

**These whole-cell antigens initiate the production of immune system memory cells, so animals continue to have a titer even when spirochete numbers are reduced or eliminated.
Similar research is being conducted on
the canine side.

Initial research at Tulane University demonstrates not only the benefits
of the higher accuracy in determining
infection as compared to traditional methods,
but also that measuring C6 antibody can be
useful clinically in measuring response to
treatment.

C6 antibody levels rise dramatically
after B. burgdorferi exposure, and then drop
off rapidly after treatment with antibiotics.15

This research evaluated 16 dogs
experimentally infected with B. burgdorferi.
The 12 treated dogs showed a dramatic
decrease in C6 antibody post-treatment,
and a single treated dog showed minimal
arthritis in one joint post-treatment.

The four untreated dogs maintained high C6 antibody levels, and all of them experienced arthritis in numerous joints post-treatment.15,16

Similar findings were seen in field-derived
samples. Most of the dogs responded with
a significant drop of the C6 antibody. A small
fraction were low C6 antibody-responders with
inconclusive status.

These studies showed that quantitative C6
levels were able to provide a good indication
of the infection status. Monitoring these
canine Lyme patients following treatment
revealed that a drop of 50% or more indicated
successful treatment.

Diagnosing Subclinical Lyme Disease Is
Important

Recent research at Cornell University
demonstrated the progression of Lyme
disease in dogs, and highlighted several
issues regarding subclinical infections. Of 16
dogs infected with Lyme disease, 75% had a
three-to-six-day episode of varying degrees of
lameness, with the first episode occurring at a
median of 71 days post-infection.

In all cases, clinical signs resolved without treatment, yet all dogs remained infected as confirmed by culture and PCR.16

This study indicates that
subclinical infections are more common
than previously thought and may outnumber
clinical infections.

Owners often see episodes of canine
lameness similar to those seen in these
experimentally infected dogs. However,
the lameness may resolve and the owner
remains unaware that the dog's lameness
was an acute presentation of Lyme
disease--the dog is subclinically infected.

Research shows that these subclinically
infected dogs will display arthritic
histopathological changes in the joints.
The Cornell research, mentioned previously,
also demonstrated the profound response
that antibiotic therapy has in treating Lyme
disease.

At postmortem, none of the 12
treated dogs had tissue samples that were
culture-positive, whereas all four untreated
dogs yielded multiple tissue samples that
were positive for B. burgdorferi by culture.
Additionally, when these dogs were immunesuppressed with prednisone, clinical signs
returned only in untreated dogs, depicting a
viable, yet subclinical infection.16

This clinical
response not only showed the benefit of the
antibiotic therapy, but also demonstrated the
role the immune system plays in maintaining
the subclinical state.

The recognition of the existence of subclinical
Lyme disease provides further support for
this new two-tiered approach.

Treatment for 4 weeks

* Antibody response lags
* C6 detectable as early as three weeks

Immune response elevated

* Dogs become culture-negative
* C6 antibody levels fall dramatically

ANTIBODY LEVELS
C6 antibody levels decline in response to treatment

Tick bite

* Dogs remain culture-positive
* C6 antibody levels remain elevated

Antibody detectable at 3 weeks
Subclinically infected dogs detected Lyme positive on SNAP� 3Dx�

Duration of infection unknown

Inconclusive Status

Antibody levels of field-derived subclinical
canines with unknown duration of infection
Antibody levels of experimentally infected canines

Early Infection
Subclinical Infection
Untreated Group
Treated Group
Initial Infection
TIME
Mimics Treated Research Group
C6 Response to Treatment
References
1. Center for Disease Control and Prevention. Lyme Disease: Diagnosis. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/lyme/diagnosis.htm. Accessed: April 15, 2004.
2. Liang FT, Jacobson RH, Straubinger RK, Grooters A, Philipp MT. Characterization of a Borrelia burgdorferi VlsE invariable region useful in canine Lyme disease
serodiagnosis by enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay. J Clin Microbiol. 2000;38(11)4160-66.
3. Ford RB. Emerging vector-borne diseases: the diagnostic challenge. Vet Forum 2003;20(1):56.
4. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Assays for antibodies to Borrelia burgdorferi: limitations, use and interpretation for supporting a clinical diagnosis of Lyme
disease. FDA Public Health Advisory. July 7, 1997.
5. Lorentzen L, O'Connor TP, Wheeler T, Hanscom JL, Shields P. Reaction of sera from known negative-vaccinated dogs on an in-clinic Borrelia burgdorferi antibody
ELISA (SNAP 3Dx) and Lyme Western blot assay. Presented at: 21st Annual American College of Veterinary Medicine Forum; June 4-8, 2003; Charlotte, NC.
6. Liang FT, Steere AC, Marques AR, Johnson BJB, Miller JN, Philipp MT. Sensitive and specific serodiagnosis of Lyme disease by enzyme-linked immunosorbent
assay with peptide based on an immunodominant conserved region of Borrelia burgdorferi VlsE. J Clin Microbiol. 1999;37(12):3990-3996.
7. O'Connor TP, Esty KJ, Hanscom JL, Shields P, Philipp MT. Dogs vaccinated with common Lyme disease vaccines do not respond to IR6, the conserved
immunodominant region of the VlsE surface protein of Borrelia burgdorferi. Clinical and Diagnostic Laboratory Immunology. May 2004.
8. Marques AR, Martin DS, Philipp MT. Evaluation of the C6 peptide enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay for individuals vaccinated with the recombinant OspA vaccine.
J Clin Microbiol. 2002;40(7):2591-93.
9. National Institute of Health. NIH News Advisory, June 18, 2001. Available at: http:/www.niaid.nih.gov. Accessed: April 15, 2004.
10. Bacon RM, Biggerstaff BJ, Schriefer ME, Gilmore RD Jr, Philipp MT, Steere AC, Wormser GP, Marques AR, Johnson BJ. Serodiagnosis of Lyme disease by kinetic
enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay using recombinant VlsE1 or peptide antigens of Borrelia burgdorferi compared to 2-tiered testing using whole-cell lysates.
J Infect Dis. 2003:187(8):1187-99.
11. Immunetics Press Release, April 3, 2002. Available at: htttp:/www.immunetics.com/company/pressreleses/C6-NIH1-Lyme.htm. Accessed: April 15, 2004.
12. Levin AE, Condon P, Kovalenko V. Lyme Borreliosis Serodiagnosis by ELISA Based on the C6 Peptide of VlsE. Immunetics, Inc.
13. Philipp MT, Marques AR, Fawcett PT, Dally LG, Martin DS. C6 test as an indicator of therapy outcome for patients with localized or disseminated Lyme borreliosis.
J Clin Microbiol. 2003;41(11):4955-4960.
14. National Institute of Health. Lyme Disease Research Efforts of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. December 2003. Available at: http:/www.niaid.
nih.gov/research/lyme.htm. Accessed: April 15, 2004.
15. Philipp MT, Bowers LC, Fawcett PT, Jacobs MB, Liang FT, Marques AR, Mitchell PD, Purcell JE, Ratterree MS, Straubinger RK. Antibody response to IR6, a conserved
immunodominant region of the VlsE lipoprotein, wanes rapidly after antibiotic treatment of Borrelia burgdorferi infection in experimental animals and humans.
J Infectious Dis. 2001;184(7):870-878.
16. Straubinger RK, Straubinger AF, Summers BA, Jacobson RH. Status of Borrelia burgdorferi infection after antibiotic treatment and the effects of corticosteroids: an
experimental study. J Infectious Dis. 2000;181:1069-1081. � 2004 IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. All rights reserved. * 09-64895-00 (4)

A New Two-Tiered Approach to Canine
Lyme Testing

With the advent of the SNAP� 3Dx� and
the Lyme Quantitative C6 Antibody Test,
we recommend screening dogs and
then further characterizing positive dogs
by quantifying their C6 antibody levels.

The quantitative C6 assay provides a twotiered
approach to Lyme disease testing.

Veterinarians can screen all dogs for Lyme
accurately and economically with the inhouse
SNAP� 3Dx� and then follow up
positive results with the Lyme Quantitative C6
Antibody Test to accurately measure a dog's
antibody level to C6.

For a dog with clinical signs of Lyme disease,
the quantitative C6 level can provide you
with a pretreatment level of C6 and help
gauge the dog's response to treatment
with a follow-up level.

For a subclinical dog,
the quantitative C6 level can provide you
with information on whether treatment is
warranted, and, if so, a follow-up test can
help measure treatment effectiveness.Test
results are provided along with interpretive
criteria and recommendations for treatment.

Posts: 873 | From WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder if the TX and Florida maps are so heavy with canine cases because of "snowbirds" who come down in the winter with their pets?

Alot of visitors from the NorthEast go to Fl, and many from the upper midwest go to TX for the winter.

That said, I KNOW Lyme is underdiagnosed in humans in each of those states. I'm a victim of that myself.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is this the same C6 peptide test that is done on humans and has not been found to be any more accurate than other testing methods?

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
interestng comparisons in the maps; thanks!
Bettyg

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Joe,

Can you provide the link for the map you posted? Thanks.

Bea Seibert

Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Truthfinder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, Joe - where did you find this map? It helps round out the picture, for sure.

Lymetoo, good point about the "snow birds".

Here in Colorado, we also have the reverse happening - people from all over the country coming here to their condos and "winter homes" to spend much of the winter on the ski slopes.

It still doesn't explain the "homebody" dogs who get Lyme. And only your local vet will be able to tell you that.

Tracy

--------------------
Tracy

Virgil and Mary
Member # 9602

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Virgil and Mary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great thread, Thanks truthfinder and everyone else. Very interesting info.

--------------------
Virgil and Mary

Posts: 58 | From Wisconsin | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Truthfinder
Member # 8512

I was able to save the map that Joe put up by right-clicking on the map with my mouse, then "saving" the map as a *.gif file to a folder on my computer.

Tracy

--------------------
Tracy

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement