LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Is Bb susceptible to Levaquin?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is Bb susceptible to Levaquin?
psano
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for psano     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just started Levaquin this week for possible Bart co-infection.

However, LLNP took me off of everything else I've been taking for Bb (Bicillin and Tindamax). When I asked if Levaquin also kills Bb, she said "we think it may".

I've done really well w/her so far, but just want to see if someone can direct me to a citation that might discuss the bacterial sensitivities of Levaquin.

Thanks,

Patti

Posts: 449 | From Pasadena, CA, usa | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LYMESCIENCE
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LYMESCIENCE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
uhh no, levaquin is not good for Borrelia Burgdorferri.

Best case scenerio.... you have a strain of Borrelia that is sensitive enough for Levaquin to prevent growth, but that's best case scenerio. Levaquin is not powerfull enough against Borrelia isolates to have a killing effect.

There's not much information regarding the floroquinolones and their activity against Borrelia, but here is some science.

I personally have tried gemifloxacin, trade name factive, and have found that it does have actitivy in vivo against borrelia in addition to the relativly strong in vitro suseptability. Its a much better drug to take than levaquin. The side effects are less with gemifloxacin, and you only have to take 320 mg as apposed to 750mg with Levaquin.

However, it may prove plausable that the floroquinolones, such as Levaquin have activity against cystic forms of Borrelia, but for now, it can be said that only 2 or 3 Floroquinolones would be of any use in treating spirochetal forms of Borrelia Burgdorferri, the best being Gemifloxacin.
http://aac.asm.org/cgi/content/full/45/9/2486

Posts: 559 | From Cary, NC | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NP40
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NP40     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Psano, not to worry. Levaquin is often given solo for bartonella. It's normally pretty effective. However, watch tendon pain as this can be a common side effect.
Watch the bart herx's as well, mood swings, rage, etc.

The Bb is a slowly replicating bacteria so using solely levaquin for a while shouldn't be a huge setback against the lyme. You can't rid yourself of the lyme until the bart is treated anyhow. It's possible the levaquin will help keep the Bb in check as well.

Posts: 1632 | From Northern Wisconsin | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement