LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Is lyme high in NC or FL?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is lyme high in NC or FL?
lyme4
Member # 10723

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lyme4     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

I am from RI, very high for lyme.

Just wonderling if anyone can tell me about two states for lyme: Florida and North Carolina? I have downloaded a map showing lyme is US but who is downloading that information.

I would appreciate feedback.

Lyme4

Posts: 60 | From RI | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What do you mean "who is downloading the info?"

NC has tons of Lyme disease, FL is not so great either. Just undiagnosed by the boat load.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karatelady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karatelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I grew up in south Florida and believe I got chronic lyme while living there.

That was many, many years ago. I even had a dog who was bit by a tick that caused his back legs to become parayzed until the vet found the tick.

We use to pick ticks off our animals by the droves in Florida.

Sandy

Posts: 686 | From Northeast Georgia | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
susiecv
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9702

Icon 1 posted      Profile for susiecv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too am curious about the number of LD cases in Florida-specifically the Vero Beach/Sebastian area-anyone have info?
Thanks-Sue

Posts: 249 | From finger lakes, ny | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CDC Lyme disease risk map
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/lyme/riskmap.htm
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=047070
Lyme test results in dogs in the USA:
http://www.idexx.com/animalhealth/testkits/3dx/lymemap.htm

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyme4
Member # 10723

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lyme4     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

When I stated who is downloading the info for these maps, I meant where did they get the info, from diagnosed reported cases from doctors? Thats why I agree with you, there are so many cases undiagnosed that are these maps true to look at to maybe determine if life would be better in another state. I live in a high tick infected state, RI, and we wonder what to do.

My whole family has lyme; what is the chance that we will get it again. My son has had 3 rings for lyme already and he is still on abx.

Thanks for all those tips for printing the maps. I printed them off and your right; down the east coast is in the low areas but not free of ticks.

The middle of the US looks better??

Any feedback from states with not much lyme?

Thanks, Lyme4

Posts: 60 | From RI | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cbb
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 788

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cbb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Lyme4,
Welcome to LymeNet.

So sorry your whole family has Lyme, but please don't consider moving south based on ANY LD statistics.

These are my opinions based on experience, reading, & just plain ole common sense.

In the South -
The drs have been told for years that "Lyme is not a problem here", & they still believe it; therefore they seldom consider a LD diagnosis.

In 1990, one dr told me "We don't waste our time studying an illness that we'll see only one bizarre case in a lifetime."

The number of Lyme cases is extremely low because most doctors diagnose LD based only on the classic "text-book" symptoms (obvious bull's eye rash & typical early symptoms) or a positive lab test.

My father was mis-diagnosed with Alzheimer's in the 1980s, but a LLMD in New Jersey diagnosed neurological LD in 1992 when my father was in his 80s. Diagnosis came too late, no dr here to work with us, & it was too difficult to travel. He died of complications of Lyme at the age of 85.

In South Carolina, when a Dr reports a case of Lyme, the State Health Dept evaluates the report & decides if it really is a case of Lyme or if it is a mis-diagnosis.

We're at risk year round because the weather is milder than in the Northern states.

We have a "Lyme-like" illness called STARI (Southern Tick Associated Rash Illness ?).
Carried by the Lone Star tick, everything about it is the same as Lyme except this strain is not detected by the regular Lyme tests.

Adequate treatment is another problem.
There are very few drs who understand how complex this illness is, so treatment is usually short term (as the IDSA recommends).
You would have an extremely difficult time finding a LLMD (Lyme Literate Med Dr) to treat your family.

It is my opinion that the incidence of Lyme in the South is just as high as in the northeast.
It just isn't being diagnosed.

Until the situation in the south improves, you may want to consider staying in an area where you can get a diagnosis & adequate treatment.

Every 3 months, my 14 yr old grandson & his parents have to go to Dr J, Lyme Literate Pediatrician in New Haven, CT. Otherwise, he would not have had appropriate treatment. He's improving, but slowly, because he had LD almost 5 yrs before seeing Dr J.

To sum it all up -
Don't be misled by the Lyme statistics for any area.
Low numbers probably mean that Lyme is just NOT being diagnosed.

Sorry to be so negative, but my work with the Lyme Disease Network of South Carolina has led me to these conclusions.

Posts: 4638 | From South Carolina | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeblue
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6897

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To give you an idea....myself and my daughters got bitten at a State Park in FL north of Gainesville....we all got lyme and co-infections....of course we all were misdiagnosed here....never got a call from the health department till my first western blot was CDC positive...off course after years of abxs....
Posts: 983 | From The sky | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

yes, I'm sure it's REPORTED cases.... and most cases are not reported. Montana may be your best bet! But as cbb stated, some states don't have any Lyme drs....that's a big problem.

As long as you stay out of the woods or parks....perhaps you could escape the ticks in many states. But there's no guarantee.

I feel somewhat safe in my concrete-surrounded apartment in Southern Missouri. I try not to walk on grass! I'm serious! I do know there are plenty of ticks in MO.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

luvs2ride
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got my lyme in N.C.

Ticks aren't the only carriers. Mosquitos and biting black flies carry it too.

I don't avoid the grass or the woods. 10 ladies living in the same CITY block of Roanoke VA and none of them frequent the countryside all have lyme. Mice are a carrier.

Avoiding the grass is no protection.

Doctors in Roanoke deny we have lyme. What a joke. Look us up on the map. We are surrounded by two national forests full of deer. Yup. Guess our deer don't have ticks huh? I guess when mosquitos bite the deer or the mice or me even, they don't carry the lyme bacteria on to the next victim they bite.

Or maybe lyme ticks know where the county lines are.

Just avoiding ticks is no guarantee you won't get lyme.

Luvs

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chunga
Member # 3775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chunga     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We moved from RI to Fellsmere, FL which is just west of Sebastian.

FWIW...I am constantly working on my 5 acre wooded lot and have seen very few ticks. A total of 3 in the last 2 years to be exact.

We do have plenty of Fire Ants.

I could be wrong but I think the presence of Fire Ants and the absence of fleas/ticks is not a coincidence.

Given a choice between the two - I'll take the Fire Ants.

Mosquitos, however, are present when there is no breeze and when the sun goes down.

Use of Skin-So-Soft and other insect repellant alternatives is pure hocus-pocus.

DEET applied to all exposed skin, in my experience, is required and absolutely effective against mosquitos (and other insects).

Ultrathon by 3M works best.

Dave

Posts: 90 | From RI | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ConnieMc
Member # 191

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ConnieMc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Make sure you visit Dr. Jemsek's site to read what he is seeing in NC residents. www.jemsekspecialty.com If you want the real scoop on Lyme in NC, call his office. Also another resource for NC is the NC Lyme Disease Foundation at www.nclyme.org. Contact one of the founders through the website and they will be glad to tell you how prevalent Lyme is here.

I acquired Lyme and Babs here in NC on a tree farm in NE NC. Judging from the number of people I also know infected here, we have quite a problem. Just look at the military risk studies.

You won't be safe from Lyme anywhere in the country. What is important is to take constant precautions.

Posts: 2275 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyme4
Member # 10723

Hi,

I can't believe the support all you have shown. I just joined this lyme web and I am so overwelmed on your responses to my question. I don't feel all alone.

It is sad that this disease is all over. I hear what you are saying about mice, etc.

I am so panicky about what my kids are doing. I am so afriad that while they are still fighting this, they will just keep getting bit. Just for my son to take out the garbage, I feel scared. He has to go to our backyard to get the barrels. Then our pool; which is surrounded by once a beautiful backyard,to me, is now just a backyard with ticks. I can't seem to enjoy the beauty anymore. I am just sad all the time.

We are condidering leaving the state for our kids lives and their children someday. Hopefully they can have children after all these abx. But where?

My kids Dr. J. also in New Haven, has been a life savor. He is saving my kids. I love him.

Thanks for the info.

If anymore comments, I would love to hear them

Lyme4

klutzo
Member # 5701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for klutzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I live in west central Florida. I wish fire ants protected against ticks, but that has not been my experience.

We have had a constant problem fighting fire ants in our yard. I am very allergic to them.

Several years ago, our whole neighborhood had a major tick infestation. We all had to have our yards sprayed multiple times. Some people had them in their houses, crawling on their clothes, and everything in their houses had to be taken to professional cleaners and the homes fumigated.

This happened in the downtown area of the most densely populated county in Florida, an area with over 2 million people. I have no idea why. It stopped as suddenly as it had started.

Klutzo

Posts: 1269 | From Clearwater, Florida, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
susiecv
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9702

Icon 1 posted      Profile for susiecv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info on Sebastian area, Chunga! have some land down there-hope to build someday-Good to know it isn't tick heaven! My area of NY is considered low risk-HA!
Sue

Posts: 249 | From finger lakes, ny | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
heathnicole
Member # 9313

Icon 1 posted      Profile for heathnicole     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey guys. . I grew up my childhood In PA
But I didn't get sick till about after 10 years down here in FL. NEAR THE SEBASTAIN AREA
So I am not sure if I got it up north or here in FL. Well where ever I got it doesn't really matter-

The only thing is that the doctors here in FL really really suck!

Heather

Posts: 74 | From Florida | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by luvs2ride:
10 ladies living in the same CITY block of Roanoke VA and none of them frequent the countryside all have lyme. Mice are a carrier.

Avoiding the grass is no protection.

No mice in my apartment.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

luvs2ride
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No mice in my apartment.

I'm sure the mice weren't in their houses either, but the mosquito travels. It can bite the mouse, deer, lyme diseased person (or carrier?) and then bite you.

Sorry. I don't think any of us can avoid this bacteria. I think it is common, common, common. I have a slew of mountain loving friends just like me who are not sick. We have camped together, ridden our horses over 100's of miles of trails and they are not sick. How come?

I seriously believe it is their immune systems. Mine got wrecked and I got sick. Period.

To prevent becoming ill, we have to take very good care of ourselves and science has to take this serious and keep seeking preventions and cures.

Living in a bubble is just no guarantee. But if it gives you peace of mind.....

Luvs

--------------------

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvs2ride
Member # 8090

Geez Lymetoo,

I just re-read my post and it sounds much more argumentative then I meant it to be. I'm sorry about that.

I am sure that by practicing avoidance, you are greatly reducing your chances of reinfection. No questions about it. And if you are a city lover, then you probably do not feel deprived in doing so.

I live to ride my horses and love nothing better than being out in nature. Much of my sentiment comes from my defiance of giving up what I love just because of a stupid disease. If I can't live the life I love, I don't want to live.

So please forgive my defiance. It is driven from frustration. The emotions flare up whenever someone says avoid parks, woods, grass, etc. I'm sorry.

Luvs

--------------------

char
Member # 8315

Icon 1 posted      Profile for char     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi lyme4-

I can relate to feeling unsafe and wondering how to best protect the kids.

How long have you all had lyme? How sick are you?

We are in the process of shopping for a house and it is hard to really know how to think.

We moved to another state after kids and I had been diagnosed and treated for about 6 months.
Lower cost of living, quieter area, family nearby.

Then we moved back a year later as it didn't work out.

Hindsight being 20/20, we might have done better to stay put until we were physically better and out of the crisis phase. I didn't realize how sick we were and also how good our drs here were.

I am not sure how prevalent lyme is in RI. Overall, my guess is that proximity to best lyme dr possible is the most important.

Char

Posts: 1230 | From US | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Getting Better
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8919

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Getting Better   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who knows?

the CDC way of tracking it is *** backwards

they say there is no lyme in san diego

i saw a recent study -- 41% of deeer ticks were infected

these people have their heads in the sand

--------------------
Jeff

Posts: 533 | From CA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For a state by state thru 2005:

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/lyme/ld_rptdLymecasesbyState.htm

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AGuess
Member # 5075

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AGuess   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I grew up in Miami, attended college in Tampa Fl and then moved to just outside Raleigh NC.

My entire family has Lyme. Myself, my wife and both my children.

My children were born in NC, my wife is from NJ.

I believe I got Lyme in Fl, but can not prove it as I have had tick attachments in both states before testing positive after years of trying to figure out what was wrong.

I don't think that this is something you can run from by moving to another state. I believe it is everywhere and really under reported.

AGuess

Posts: 45 | From NC,USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement