LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Neck achey

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Neck achey
skimpbiz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4433

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skimpbiz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello everyone and Happy Holidays. Hope all of you have a safe, happy, and healthy holiday season.

I've been making good progress. My LLMD has been weaning me off ABX, and I'm happy to report I've been off the last 4 months, and only had a flare-up just this week.

My LLMD says to not get down about the flare-up, as we're making good progress and this is unchartered territory for me. The prescription is 2 weeks of antibiotic regimen - zithro and tindamax.

I woke up this morning feeling achey in different places, and one of the places is my neck. My question is this - people talk all the time how it can be a very bad sign to have pain there - meningitis, etc. How do you guys/gals know as lyme sufferers when the neck pain is the sign of something serious or when it's just normal lyme acheyness?

Thanks again....my thoughts are with you all.

Marc

Posts: 173 | From Lakeland, FL 33813 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
heathnicole
Member # 9313

Icon 1 posted      Profile for heathnicole     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Marc-

I am sorry that I can't be of more help but I also have really bad neck pain. I think that out of all of my joint pain my neck is the worst

I think I remember a naturopath telling my that lyme is stored up in the neck area. .. if that makes any sense.

I am sorry I am not of more help
Just know that I feel for you too [Smile]

God bless,
Heather

Posts: 74 | From Florida | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrG
Member # 10254

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MrG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe to that this is lyme related. But you should also know lyme reuptakes your glutamate levels. Too much glutamate is neurotoxic & one of the main spots it hits is the neck...believe me I know.

I have seen countless number of people when they reduce especially 'free glutamate', they're neck pain goes away.

Pat Sr

--------------------
Pat Sr

Posts: 63 | From Toms River,NJ | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
geniveve
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i never know if it's lyme or not since i have bulges throughout the cervical area from c1-2 down to c6-7.

i've heard bulges can be worse than ruptures and just as painful......yep, it's true......

right now my neck is killing me, it's so dang hot all the time.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie tony z
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie tony z     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whata ya say there skimp!?

Yes.
There is always a possibility of meningitis or encephalitis...however...

The stiff neck pain...should be accompanied by a headache kinda down the right or left side of your head...depending which side of your neck is stiff...and painful.

I experience this symptom regularly on or off abx about every three months or so durring my monthly flare-ups.

Initially I knew it to be the start of neurolyme/cns infection and may very well be still connected to that or residual nerve/joint damage.

I personally have had neck trauma from a motorcycle accident in 82...and given that Bb likes to invade previously traumatized parts of the body...

this may just be an exacerbation of my injuries.

Warning....Dr C has a reputation of dropping patients that don't get better on his protocol...

The tinidazole and zith should help...as I am doing same at this point...

Give me a call....but not today...like tonight about 8pm....zman

--------------------
I am not a doctor...opinions expressed are from personal experiences only and should never be viewed as coming from a healthcare provider. zman

Posts: 2527 | From safety harbor florida(origin Cleve., Ohio | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SayYesh
Member # 8343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SayYesh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MrG, how do you reduce free glutamate?

I'm very interested to know, as I have been slowly getting better, but this is my last remaining biggy symptom, neck pain, stiffness, crackliness.

Posts: 90 | From New Jersey | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrG
Member # 10254

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MrG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SayYesh...here's a couple of lists to get you started.

Here's a post by Carol H. She's the owner of msgtruth.com. She lives in my state of NJ. Btw...she is one of the people responsible for ending my seizures. Here's the post:

By Carol H on Sunday, March 28, 2004

I thought this would be helpful since we are often asked which foods are high in glutamate naturally and which aren't. Now we must distinguish between bound and free. Foods high in bound glutamate are not a problem UNLESS they are cooked long and processed. Foods high in free glutamate before cooking should be eaten with caution. Here's the list, in mg/100 g

Natural Glutamate Content of Foods

Bound Glutamate - Free Glutamate (mg/100 g)

MILK/DAIRY PRODUCTS

Cow's 819 - 2

Human 229 - 22

Parmesan Cheese 9,847 - 1,200

POULTRY PRODUCTS

Eggs 1,583 - 23

Chicken 3,309 - 44

Duck 3,636 - 69

MEAT

Beef 2,846 - 33

Pork 2,325 - 23

FISH

Cod 2,101 - 9

Mackerel 2,382 - 36

Salmon 2,216 - 20

VEGETABLES

Peas 5,583 - 200

Corn 1,765 - 130

Beets 256 - 30

Carrots 218 - 33

Onions 208 - 18

Spinach 289 - 39

Tomatoes 238 - 140

Green Peppers 120 - 32

Here is another list. The numbers represent the percentage of free amino acid to total free amino acids present:

First number is aspartic acid, next is glutamic acid:

peanuts 2.1 25.5

almond

pecan 19.8 18.6

broccoli 8.4 14.5

green bean 4.5 2.1

kale 2.6 8.3

spinach 4.5 22.5

cauliflower 35.7 16.1

potato 3.2 4.3

crisping potato 2.0 4.0

processed cassava 0.9 2.5

asparagus 5.0 11.2

milled rice 19.0 34.8

rye 5.9 16.8

w heat 22.9 15.5

malt 6.4 15.6

blackcurrant 1.9 19.6

navel orange 8.9 3.9

lemon 24.7 13.0

tomato 11.6 34.2

banana 10.6 6.2

pineapple 9.1 2.8

strawberry 2.7 7.4

cantaloupe 22.3 8.7

apple juice 15.6 3.9

grape juice 2.3 3.6

pineapple juice 4.1 4.7

perry pear juice 10.0 10.0

green arabica coffee 11.5 25.3

green robusta coffee 10.7 12.5

red wine 4.5 16.2

pork 0.3 2.0

chicken 2.8 10.5

beef 1.1 27.7

cheese (Cheddar) 1.9 18.5

This explains that the common cry that human milk contains more FREE glutamate than cow's milk is essentially true, but that cow's milk contains nearly 4 times the actual glutamate - so if liberated it would have substantially MORE free glutamate than human milk. It shows why parmesan cheese is so high in free glutamate. Keep in mind, foods high in protein, like meat for instance, would have more free glutamate than foods low in overall protein, like milled rice. Also keep in mind foods containing vitamin C help protect against glutamate, but not if you destroy the Vit C in cooking. (Hope I didn't confuse everyone too much)

--------------------
Pat Sr

Posts: 63 | From Toms River,NJ | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie tony z
Member # 5130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie tony z     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OH well heck no! [dizzy]

this must be why when I juice up Kale,parsley,tomatoes,cabbage,beets,broccoli,and garlic...I feel so good...

And when I eat spaghetti with parmesean cheese all over it I feel like a meatball....

Am I right!??

zman

--------------------
I am not a doctor...opinions expressed are from personal experiences only and should never be viewed as coming from a healthcare provider. zman

Posts: 2527 | From safety harbor florida(origin Cleve., Ohio | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minimonkey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minimonkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Skimp --

Lyme meningitis is pretty hard to mistake -- it isn't like the normal neck stiffness/headache that go with lyme --

Lyme meningitis, in my experience, is a stiff neck that precludes turning one's head at all, plus the feeling that an axe is splitting one's skull in two -- lots and lots of head pressure, pain far exceeding the worst migraine one can imagine, plus chills, vomiting, nausea, dizziness, disorientation... sometimes fever, too, though I rarely run a fever with it. I also tend to get a burning sensation down the back of my neck and spine, plus the back of my head feels like it was clubbed with a baseball bat -- very sore to the touch. I've had this several times now. Lays me flat for days, literally, every time.

The plain ol' stiff neck/headache/migraine is far less severe -- though I do get the back of the head soreness with that, too.

--------------------
"Looks like freedom but it feels like death..
It's something in between, I guess"

Leonard Cohen, from the song "Closing Time"

Posts: 822 | From California | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie tony z
Member # 5130

Sayesh and MrG...

It's considered somewhat RUDE to hijack anothers post...

How about apologizing to skimpbiz and deleting your entries and post yer own discussion!

thanks ever so much!

zman

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement