LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Inflammation

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Inflammation
5dana8
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7935

Icon 5 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know of any natural supps other than the RX's that can be taken to cut down on inflammation caused by lyme?

Thanks in advance [Smile]
Dana

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vermont_Lymie
Member # 9780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vermont_Lymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi dana,

great question. Not super-knowledgeable on this, but I believe that Vit. C and many of our favorite lyme supplements, like the Buhner ones (Resveratrol) have anti-inflammatory properties.

will see what I can find out and write back on this!

Posts: 2557 | From home | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvs2ride
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Zyflamend and InFlaMed are two highly recommended.

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clairenotes
Member # 10392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for clairenotes         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Re: Zyflammend... note that you can take more than the recommended dose per my PA/naturopath. At one time, I took it every hour or two for a couple of days, with good results.

Claire

Posts: 1111 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks vermont_lymie, Luvs2ride & Clairenotes [Smile]

You guys are the greatest [kiss]

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AlisonP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7771

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AlisonP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Dana,

I know that cherries, and I think black cherries in particular, are good to help reduce inflammation. Cherry juice is good, but you have to watch out for the sugar.

Another good thing to use (though it tastes horrible) is taking a slug of baking soda in water. That really helps control the acid buildup/release which is a big cause of inflammation. Also just great for alkalinizing.

I was also told to avoid the following foods because they cause inflammation: any citrus, vinegar (even apple cider), spinach, tomatoes, and anything from the nightshade family. I didn't believe it at first, but then when I cut those foods out my inflammation went down.

[Smile]

Alison

--------------------
 -

The obscure we see eventually. The completely obvious, it seems, takes longer. --- Edward R. Murrow

Posts: 923 | From California | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks AlisonP
[Smile]
Blessings [kiss]
Dana

--------------------
5dana8

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definitely mangosteen. Absolutely incredible for inflammation. I wouldn't do without it.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Thanks Lymetoo [kiss]

--------------------
5dana8

seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The spices ginger and turmeric are also anti-inflammatories. Can take as capsules or use the powder to make tea.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Thanks Bea [kiss]

I hope your hubby's feeling better

Blessings [Smile]
Dana

--------------------
5dana8

Radha
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8464

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Radha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
can you take mangosteen capsules to get the same effect, or do you have to drink the juice?
radha

Posts: 392 | From New York | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JRWagner
Member # 3229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JRWagner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fish Oil Capsules (purified, of course) are very potent (documented...because of the Omega 3 Fatty Acids, ...EPA, DHA unique to Fish Oils. Other sources (Plants) of Omega 3's contain other Fatty Acids which are also beneficial.

Dark Chocolate...pure Cocoa Powder with no sugar...

Orange Juice...

Red Wine...

Yes, good foods can be anti-inflammatory as well.

Good Luck!

peace, Love and Wellness,
JRW

Posts: 1414 | From Ny, Ny | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Radha:
can you take mangosteen capsules to get the same effect, or do you have to drink the juice?
radha

The capsules are pretty worthless in my opinion. You want the WHOLE FRUIT PUREE....and NOT whole fruit extract, either.

The enzymes are very important and wouldn't be present in a dried extract.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bromelain is supposed to be anti-inflammatory. It's an enzyme in pineapple, I believe it's actually in the core. But you can buy capsules of it.

It's one of those things I take without knowing if it does anything. It's definitely not a super wonder pill, in that it doesn't eliminate the inflammation.

If you have inflammation in your hands, Plaquenil is incredible at reducing it. It's not a supplement though, it's an anti-milarial medication that just happens reduce arthritis type symptoms.

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeinhell
Member # 4622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Zyflammend - unbeleivable stuff. Got me off Rx Bextra. I still continue to take it daily. There's also been some recent research that shows it kills prostate cancer cells - so something good for all the men out there.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/gskr4

--------------------
Julie
_ _ ___ _ _
lymeinhell

Blessed are those who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed.

Posts: 2258 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement