LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » What do you take for anxiety and panic attacks?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What do you take for anxiety and panic attacks?
ChrisBtheLymie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8916

Icon 5 posted      Profile for ChrisBtheLymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all.

I have been suffering from horrible panic attacks and anxiety caused by Lyme and I think I need to take something to control them.

I might be flying out to the U.S from the U.K soon to see an LLMD and I am dreading the airports - in busy places, the lights, noise, people, etc just make me panic and my other symptoms also trigger horrible panic attacks, espeically the sudden fatigue, vertigo, chest pains, etc.

I was just wondering what you take, if you suffer from them, or what can help?

Thanks in advance,
Chris.

Posts: 263 | From UK | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GenaD
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11988

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenaD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chris,

My LLMD was originally trained as a psychiatrist, and he prescribed Klonopin for me for anxiety.

I can't tell you how it works, though--I'm too scared to take it!

A friend of mine without Lyme said it worked really well for anxiety but made her really tired. There are a lot of other options for anxiety...

--------------------
"Never underestimate the power of a few committed people to change the world. Indeed it is the only thing that ever has."
--Margaret Mead

Posts: 290 | From New York | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tailz
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Klonopin worked well for my anxiety and panic attacks, with occasional bumps in dosage, for 15 or 16 years.

I strongly suspect, however, that this medication suppressed my immune system equally as long, because I did not test positive for Lyme until this medication was stopped, and I am convinced that I have had Lyme equally as long.

I would not recommend this medication to my dog after what happened with me.

If you are having a panic attack, your body is telling you to leave the area or situation because something really IS dangerous.

I suspect this is what was happening to me, and my body was right - I am reacting to cell phone towers and antennas. Listen to your body - it does not lie.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EWT1638
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11315

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EWT1638     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi

I've been taking Klonopin with great success for more than 6 years. It can make you a little tired, but I found no great difference in energy level.

Although, I've been low energy due to depression and LD/Babs for a longer time.

Give it a try, LOW dosage. See how you do. [hi]

--------------------
When you reach your "wits-end" remember this: "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give you. I do not give as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." John 14:27

Posts: 397 | From Loudoun County Virginia | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take non prescription GABA and 5-htp long term since I have anxiety on a regular basis if I don't. Check with your doctor before taking them. You have to be careful with 5-htp if you are taking prescrition antidepressants because 5-htp increases serotonin. You will have to start early if you want them to be effective in a few weeks since they don't have an immediate effect.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GenaD
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11988

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenaD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My llmd wanted me to start the klonopin at a really low dose, one fourth of a pill to start.

Speaking of depression..he has me taking Sam-E working up to 1000 mg. It's more natural and is supposed to have very mild side effects and work pretty quickly. I don't know because it's only been a week.

--------------------
"Never underestimate the power of a few committed people to change the world. Indeed it is the only thing that ever has."
--Margaret Mead

Posts: 290 | From New York | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vermont_Lymie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vermont_Lymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take a beta-blocker, inderal. It stops most of the physical manifestations of a panic attack caused by adreniline, such a rapidly beating heart and shakiness. So even though it does not affect the anxiety, I feel better because the physical symptoms are under control.
Posts: 2557 | From home | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeindunkirk
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7118

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeindunkirk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anxiety and panic attacks due to fear of crossing bridges gone completely once I was treated with IV for 5 weeks and then put on bicillin. I've been on bicillin for a year now and all "fears" and anxiety are gone.
Posts: 547 | From Maryland | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djf2005
Member # 11449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for djf2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
xanax

ativan

whatever u need

dont suffer unnecesscarily

--------------------
"Experience is not what happens to you; it is what you do with what happens to you."

[email protected]

Posts: 2269 | From Lansdowne, Pa | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sojourner
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9424

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sojourner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter takes zoloft regularly and takes xanax for traveling as needed as she had developed a huge fear of flying over the last year.

Both help a lot

Posts: 554 | From Naples, Italy | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boomerang
Member # 7979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boomerang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is Sam-E? Samento?
Posts: 1366 | From Southeast | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Getting Better
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8919

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Getting Better   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I had them, klonopin or xanax worked. However, there were times when nothing worked. I had some panic attacks that lasted 6 or 7 hours. What works then is human and spiritual support. :-) for me at least. And just repeating: This Too Shall Pass.

--------------------
Jeff

Posts: 533 | From CA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
another member was soon going on a LONG trip overseas like yourself, she was asking for info and got many replies.

try search at the top under new post

anxiety and panic attacks
medical
subject line
any date ... make sure you EDITED MY PROFILE first to allow for the longest period of time vs. default.

leave membership no. blank, and hit send

read all the posts you get; most current on top! good luck to you

i use zoloft; helps me tremendously.

how about taking your own music to help you too? [Wink]

Cass A
Member # 11134

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cass A     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use B Complex and B1 with Vit C and Calcium. Magnsium also, if I have it at the time.

Calms things right down.

Best,

Cass A

Posts: 1245 | From Thousand Oaks, CA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Zoloft i s great, also Xanax and ativan.
Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitkat32
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9682

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitkat32     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used Klonopin on a need to basis. I used to be in a state of panic 24/7.

I eventually came to terms with taking something every day.

I take Paxil CR and it works great for me. I have some wieght gain from it but I can live with that.

Not everyone likes these kinds of meds though. I am in no way a pill pusher. I just couldn't stand going on like that anymore.

Paxil and others like this can cause some nasty side effects when you try and go off of them.

I did wean off of it slowly about a year ago. The withdrawel wasn't to bad because I went so slow. Within a couple of months though I started to have panic again.

Once I get the Lyme and Bartonella under control I will try to go off again..but for now it helps me so much.

It's a personnel choice though on whether to take such a medication.

I hope your feeling better soon..anxiety was my most bothersome symptom.

kit

Posts: 655 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have taken klonopin on a as needed basis for the past several years. I had panic attacks that lasted most of the day....very, very bad.

I also was afraid to take klono and what a mistake that was! After I suffered from panic so bad that I didn't care to wake up in the morning I took the klono. Lifesaver for me!

You will see that a quarter of a 1mg tab will be affective at times, sometimes you might need a .50 dose. Rarely do I need the whole tab. Saved my sanity, if not my life, no ill affects whatsoever.

Hope this helps you out.

Rhonda

Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Adrenal Dysfunction:
The Body's Response
To Chronic Stress

by Linda J. Rayner, M.D., A.B.H.M., A.A.F.P.
Dual Board Certified in Family Practice and Holistic Medicine

The adrenals are glands that sit on top of your kidneys. They respond to stress by secreting adrenaline, cortisol, aldosterone and DHEA. Their response to acute stress serves us well but only if the stress is short lived. In modern times however, the stress is no longer just physical or brief. A response also occurs with psychological, emotional, environmental and infectious stress. Prolonged stress can trigger detrimental effects in the body that can progress to chronic disease states. As many as 90% of the population is in some degree of adrenal stress.

Common factors that affect the adrenals include: poor eating habits, caffeine, smoking, lack of sleep, lack of exercise, chronic pain, chronic illness, overwork, surgery, lack of relaxation, stressful relationships, employment instability, emotional trauma, negative attitudes, financial pressures, fear, prescriptions, toxins, allergies and infections.Lyme causes it

Symptoms of adrenal stress include: fatigue, difficulty getting up in the morning, increased appetite, carbohydrate cravings, low blood sugar, decreased metabolism, weight gain, low body temperature, difficulty relaxing, insomnia, difficulty concentrating, decreased memory, either low or high blood pressure, postural dizziness, indigestion, ulcers, menstrual irregularities, PMS, decreased libido, impotence, suppressed immune function, allergies, autoimmune disease, bone loss, muscle weakness and pain, dry skin, delayed wound healing, hair loss, cracked nails, suppressed thyroid function, decreased clearance of heavy metals.

The extremes of adrenal dysfunction are Cushing's syndrome (extremely high cortisol) and Addison's disease (inability to secrete cortisol).

There are two tests that can be done at home or in a doctor's office to confirm adrenal fatigue. Shining a bright light in someone's eye should cause the pupil to constrict. With adrenal fatigue the pupil will constrict and then dilate despite continued light. Additionally, blood pressure will normally rise when someone stands up. In adrenal stress the blood pressure may not rise and may even fall after standing up. Testing is important to know whether your cortisol level is elevated (adrenal overdrive) or depressed (adrenal exhaustion). Additionally DHEA levels must be followed to avoid overdosing on supplementation.

Treatment of adrenal dysfunction can be remembered by the acronym S.E.N.S.E.:
1. Stress management and evaluation
Evaluate your lifestyle and pinpoint what supports your energy and health, and what is draining.
Decide whether you can leave the situation, adapt yourself to the situation or adapt the situation to you
Change your perspective and beliefs about the situation
Practice a relaxation technique, like abdominal breathing, meditation, guided visualization, progressive relaxation, yoga, tai chi or chi gong.
2. Sleep
Lack of sleep can worsen adrenal stress. Conversely, abnormal cortisol can worsen sleep
Make sure to establish a regular bedtime and wake-up time.
Do something calming in the hour before bedtime.
Watching TV or computer work may prevent a rise in melatonin, which is the usual result of dimmer evening lighting.
Avoid exercise within three hours of bedtime.
Limit fluids in the evening, especially caffeinated beverages.
Natural supplements that can aid sleep include melatonin, 5-HTP, magnesium, valerian, St John's Wort.
3. Nutrition - a cornerstone for all health challenges.
Small frequent meals will help keep{{{avoid}}} blood sugar levels even Spirochetes like carbs
Avoid skipping meals, especially in the morning
Choose whole natural foods, preferably organic to avoid the toxicity of pesticides.
Avoid products that are high in sugar and white flour.
Chose a wide variety of colorful vegetables for greater nutritional content.
Avoid fruit in the mornings as the sugar content makes the blood sugar levels rise too high and then quickly drop.
Choose foods that have a lower glycemic index i.e. they raise blood sugar slowly. These are foods that contain more fiber or fat e.g. whole wheat bread instead of white bread.
Avoid unhealthy fats, like hydrogenated oils, deep fried foods and animal lard
Include adequate essential fatty acids (those that can't be made in the body) from good omega-3 sources like cold-water fish, flax seeds, walnuts, soybeans and dark green vegetables.
Avoid caffeinated beverages (coffee, black tea, colas and chocolate), which over-stimulate the adrenals and drive up blood sugar even if they are unsweetened. Better choices would be green and herbal teas, vegetable juices and lots of clean water.
Cow and soymilk can both be allergenic and can be replaced with rice or nut milks.
4. Supplements
Vitamin C 2000-4000mg/day
B complex 50-100, with extra vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid) 1500mg
Vitamin E mixed tocopherols 800IU/day neutralizes damaging free radicals
Calcium (800mg), magnesium (400mg) and trace minerals work to support adrenal processes.
Adaptogenic herbs help the adrenals function more towards normal levels. Some examples include Siberian ginseng, ashwagandha, and rhodiola.
Other substances that can control elevated cortisol levels include phosphotidylserine, beta-sitosterol and magnolia bark.
For low cortisol levels licorice and adrenal glandulars can boost adrenal function.
Calming herbs may be helpful for unwinding and improving sleep. E.g. valerian, St John's Wort, 5-HTP, and melatonin.
Low DHEA levels can be supplemented to improve energy, mood, memory, and libido, promote weight loss.
5. Exercise normalizes levels of cortisol, insulin, glucose and provides the brain with more oxygen. Make sure not to push yourself to exhaustion. Even light physical activity can provide many benefits.

Resources: ``Adrenal Fatigue'' by James Wilson D.C.; ``The Cortisol Connection'' by Shawn Talbot PhD.

From
Adrenal Dysfunction

When my wife had a angxiety attack they gave her one adivan sp?

Adrenal_gland

Hormone links

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisBtheLymie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8916

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChrisBtheLymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all the reponses so far.
I will speak to my GP and LLMD about which meds I can try to take.

I don't like taking too many pills and I don't even like taking pain killers sometimes, even if I am in pain; but I think it will greatly help with my life to stop these panic attacks.

My panic attacks did almost go away about a year ago when I was taking high dosages of EFA Complete (with EPA) and 1g of Magnesium a day.

I cut down about 6 months ago and just took 1 or 2 EFA's a day and 500mg of Magnesium, so that could be a reason why they have come back, or it could be because I had a nasty relapse about 4 months ago.

P.S) Thanks for all that info about adrenals treepatrol... I have always thought my adrenals were either in overdrive or are really struggling. I am about to order an adrenal stress profile saliva test - which means cortisol and DHEA four times throughout the day.

Posts: 263 | From UK | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Visual Afterimage Man
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10435

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Visual Afterimage Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been there!!

Doc put me on Paxil CR (controlled release). It helped a lot in the long term.

Short term panic attacks were treated with klonopin on an as needed basis. I only took it when I HAD to. Your body can start to build a tolerance to it. It made me sleepy.

But like others have said. Do what you must. Don't suffer.

--------------------
26 months of treatment. And counting.......

Posts: 298 | From Northeast Kansas | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobweb
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GenaD:
Chris,

I can't tell you how it works, though--I'm too scared to take it!

This made me laugh because that's just how I feel when certain meds are prescribed. Never been prescribed Klonopin though.

Take Care,
Carol

GenaD
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11988

Carol,

I think that when we feel as bad as we do, we're scared to take anything that could possibly make us feel even WORSE.

The Klonopin for anxiety was GIVING me anxiety, just thinking about taking it! I still haven't, lol!

Gena

--------------------
--Margaret Mead

Energy2Heal
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2010

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Energy2Heal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take Ativan - it's the only thing controlling my Bart or Lyme induced severe anxiety these days.
Posts: 443 | From The Wild West | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Radha
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8464

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Radha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
for those taking ativan, how much do you take and how often? thanks
radha

Posts: 392 | From New York | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shazdancer
Member # 1436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shazdancer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Boomerang,

SAM-E is short for S-adenosylmethionine. It is not Samento, but is an amino acid compound, which occurs naturally in the body. It is in Dr. B's list of supplements. It is usually taken to assist depression and inflammation, so I don't know how well that would work for true anxiety/panic.

I have taken SAM-E for depression and joint stuff, and it was helpful without having to take something addictive. Check here for a short description, including caution:

http://www.raysahelian.com/sam-e.html

I have had St. John's Wort tea for anxiety, but also be careful of overdoing it. I have never had debilitating depression or anxiety -- for those, I'd be seeing my doctor.

Posts: 1558 | From the Berkshires | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andie333
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Initially, my LLMD prescribed xanax for my horrible anxiety.

I took 2 mg during my worst symptoms.

As soon as the anxiety began to subside, I started decreasing the dosage and now only take a 1/4 mg a day.

If my anxiety rears its head now, I take a St. Johns Wort. That seems to give me the little bit of calm I need.

But I still struggle with insomnia, and at my lsat visit, my LLMD suggested klonopin to help with that. I still have the prescription in my bag and have no intention of filling it.

Andie

Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Energy2Heal
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2010

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Energy2Heal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Radha,

As far as the Ativan goes, I take 1.5 - 2mg. about four times a day.

Others?

Posts: 443 | From The Wild West | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hope4Better
Member # 10075

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hope4Better     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i take ativan 0.5mg 2x a day for the last year..it has been wonderful but i think i need to up the dose

or something because i havent been feeling so well and my generalized anxiety has gotten worse.

my only meds are Wellbutrin XL 300mg for major depression and ativan. and the Bruhner Core Protocol.

depression and anxiety have gotten worse over the last couple months even while on these meds. as well as mood swings, rages, night sweats,MAJOR paranoia, numbness, spacey disconnected feeling, thinking problems, ocd.. i think i need to be treating this more aggressively.

but i have WV Medicaid, so you can only imagine...

im thinking co-fections.

--------------------
If Your Going Through Hell, Keep Going...

Posts: 99 | From Shepherdstown, WV | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Radha
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8464

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Radha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks for your replies about the ativan, i have the .5mg tablets and cut them, i just hate to take anything on a regular basis, i am so afraid of getting dependent on anything, but thanks for your input,
radha

Posts: 392 | From New York | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement