LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » San Francisco Lyme Disease TV Talk Show now posted online!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: San Francisco Lyme Disease TV Talk Show now posted online!
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all -- I participated in a Lyme TV talk show last summer with three others through our public access TV station, Access San Francisco/Cable Channel 29(www.accessf.org, "The Mark Hunter show"). It just got posted online, with special assistance from Jay/Groovy!

Click here to watch video

[ 13. October 2007, 07:05 AM: Message edited by: Robin123 ]

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LocalMan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11648

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LocalMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is very cool. I think we need more of this.
I wish the closing statement had focused more on better testing, treatment, and the ISDA pulling their head out of their *** , instead of 'cover up in fear' (because I know I can't), but I think overall this is great.
LM

[ 13. October 2007, 06:18 PM: Message edited by: LocalMan ]

Posts: 212 | From Eastern CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want to watch it*)!**)! I want to watch it*)!*

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 14 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
robin, CONGRATS FINIALLY!! LONG TIME COMING!

since i have diallup, i won't be able to watch it. just downloading the 7-10 minute NEWS BROADCASTS, takes my pc 90 minutes! can you imagine 60 minutes take 6-7 HOURS???

hope you get rave reviews!

JAY YOU LIVE UP TO YOUR REPUTATION, YOU ARE "GROOVY"!!! [kiss] [group hug]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Betty -- I too have dial-up still - lol. It offers a special effect. You know about how models posing for drawing are supposed to change their position every couple minutes? Well, a dial-up does this for us every couple seconds -- a slight position change, a new facial expression...Here's hoping you can find a normal place to go watch!
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canbravelyme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canbravelyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh Hooray! [woohoo]

I can't wait to watch!

Congrats Ms. 123 and all involved! [woohoo]

--------------------
For medical advice related to Lyme disease, please see an ILADS physician.

Posts: 1494 | From Getting there... | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ann in CA
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 97

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ann in CA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks!

Really thought it was well done! You were all excellent. It also was great to hear from Ari--think it means a lot to other young people going through similar situations to hear from one so articulate.

The only thing that puzzled me was how the term "Lymes" was used by the panelist in red, who sounded so well informed. Please don't take this as a criticism. It is just that, whenever I hear anyone refer to "lymes" I kind of automatically discount whatever they say, or just figure they are really new to lyme.

But I thought you all really got much great information across in a relatively short amount of time.

Congratulations, and thank you!

Ann

Ann

Posts: 287 | From Northern California, USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
robin,

please post about this in activism too since this will get bumped off 1st screen quickly11 [Wink]

tdtid
Member # 10276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tdtid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just finished watching this program. Good job Robin and thanks for sharing it with us. There was some great information that came out of this.

I agree with Ann in that I had trouble with the woman that kept calling it "lymes" since she did seem to be very well informed, other than how the disease is pronounced.

And it was good having the younger generation represented as well since it showed people that it hits anyone.

Robin, you had some papers that it seemed you had wanted to share before they ran out of time. Just out of curiousity, what were they? You did a great job Robin and I'm so glad you were able to help get the word out there. What network did this run on out in San Francisco?

Cathy

--------------------
"To Dream The Impossible Dream" Man of La Mancha

Posts: 2638 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SForsgren
Member # 7686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SForsgren         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Robin, I think both you and Kathleen came across very very well on the piece. The ending could have been something other than "Be afraid" but overall, I enjoed watching it.

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

Posts: 4617 | From San Jose, CA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

up
Robin123
Member # 9197

Thanks for watching, all! Comments much appreciated! It meant a lot to us to be able to do the program.

A little more about participants: Kathleen got her county(San Mateo) to declare Lyme disease awareness month in May. And Elize knows an awful lot about detoxing and alternative treatments.

Cathy, the papers were covers of a couple brochures -- one showing California's almost total-county Lyme disease spread, and the other showing the different tick sizes on a finger.

I like to show the covers of those two brochures to people not acquainted with the issue -- kinda gets the point across real quick. Mark had told me they could do a close-up if I held them up.

But since we were close to time, I decided to talk about prevention in the remaining couple minutes.

treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good for you Robin123 you have gone to 456 [Big Grin]

The boy that spoke after you said he cant sleep tell him if you have the ability to try melatonin half hr before bed time bed with no light in the room also magnesium.Those really helped me.

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Up for any weekend viewing...I checked the site tonight -- viewed 171 times in only one week online!

What I'm wondering is whether any of you have community TV station programming and could do something similar to let your community know more about its Lyme/co's situation.

LymeMECFSMCS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeMECFSMCS   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is wonderful -- thanks for providing the link.

Also for the boy who can't sleep:
I have tried evvvvvvverything for sleep and have had terrible sleep problems.

Finally, after all sorts of meds, herbs, and various conventional and natural treatments, I found something that helped me.

I do 10,000 mcg intramuscular injections of methylcobalamin (a form of b-12 -- others won't work) along with melatonin nightly, and this actually helps me sleep.

In studies, this combination (at lower doses actually -- but this dose works for me) has sometimes helped with circadian rhythm disorders.

Posts: 929 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
radfaraf
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11909

Icon 1 posted      Profile for radfaraf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When during the day should methylcobalamin be taken for circadian rhythm disorders?

More info here (just doesn't state when to take it):
http://www.doctormurray.com/newsletter/1-11-2003.htm

Posts: 526 | From NJ | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Up for any weekend viewing!

[ 04. November 2007, 11:00 AM: Message edited by: Robin123 ]

Robin123
Member # 9197

Popcorn, lights...for any more weekend viewing...
daise
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Robin123,

Because you just posted again on a thread that's over 2 weeks old, I became aware of what you four wonderful people did!

Thank you.

Wow!

I sat stunned in front of my computer watching the broadcast. I've never seen anything like it.

I imagined what could happen here, if I could show this to the people at the local station? Could they "run" it here, or, could it be a model for--an example of--a new broadcast?

I'm still stunned, writing this.

I liked the ending. Sometimes in life it takes a tough love approach to get the point across. It was very powerful. For those who saw it, it has the potential to leave a "mark" that if they get weird signs and symptoms, and they know it's not the flu, it may be Lyme.

Just think of the potential for people being able to get early Lyme treated--preventing a fall into the twilight zone. And the potential for people to realize that Lyme could actually be what they suffer badly from?

I was astounded at Kathleen's strength for her children.

Ari's a gem of a young man. Of course he's going to get better. Mom believes this!

Alize's mastery over adversity was clear.

And your approach at getting people's attention and why it is that everyone must be aware of it. And what viewers need to watch out for: the practical, "take home" stuff.

Together, the four of you had important things to tell the viewers, and you certainly "came off" as being informed. In other words, you were all believable. (Well, to someone else with Lyme, yes ... Rather, you didn't have anything to sell. You had love in your hearts to give--and a powerful message.)

Who could watch that and not feel changed? Who could watch that and not wonder: Well, why isn't this on 20/20? Why isn't it in the news-- a lot? And why are some doctors being punished for trying to help people?

What day and time did it air, originally? In other words, how many people does the station estimate, saw it?

Fantastic!

Daise [group hug]

P.S. Wow!

bettyg
Unregistered

Robin gottheir approval to air it on Jay got it on google video.

see robin's note below with CORRECT INFO! so it may get more hits there than ever imaginned if folks send this link to family, friends, lyme group lists, etc.

i'm sure robin will answer to you.

i still hope to see it when i visit with anyone with HIGH SPEED INTERNET; i have dialup a NO NO for 60 mintes of viewing would take 10=16 hrs. to downloaad. [Mad]

robin, i'll have to check that out...internet cafes! never been to one! uffda [Wink]

[ 06. November 2007, 12:59 PM: Message edited by: bettyg ]

Robin123
Member # 9197

Wow, Daise, your comments just made my evening, or morning, rather!

The show aired originally in SF last summer. I'm not sure how often they show it during Mark's weekly scheduled hour.

I think Mark did a good job with us -- very interested in what we had to say, and very respectful. And that's his editing, too.

I'll pm you...

Betty -- got any high-speed internet cafes nearby?!

[ 06. November 2007, 04:11 AM: Message edited by: Robin123 ]

ElaineC
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9857

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ElaineC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is great - came across really well - we need alot more shows like this one. Well done!

Not sure about the "be afraid" ending though!

Also, just to point out - the lady in red kept mentioning Europe and all the research etc there......IMO this is very misleading!!!! I'm from Ireland, and I can tell you that our situation in Europe is alot worse than in the US. Most European Lymies, including myself, have to make transatlantic flights to the US for treatment, at huge physical and financial costs, where we of course have no insurance cover! The research which has been done in Europe is not known about, and the majority of European docs think you can only get Lyme in the US anyway! There is an ILADS doc in Switz, and she hasn't taken any patients for a very long time due to capacity issues.

Elaine

Posts: 261 | From Herx-ville!! | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
robin,

Thank you for your timing. I had been trying to find this post and couldn't.

So, glad you uncovered it.

I was just amazed that you all held it together when you were talking and able to sit upright to boot.

There was a quote from Steele that I would like to post here but need to rest and then try to watch the video again and get the quote.

It is what stood out for me.

Also wondering where the stats came from on failure or success rate...again can't recall the words.

[ 05. November 2007, 02:54 PM: Message edited by: kam ]

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

i edited my earlier comments.

robin,
i'll try to find an internet cafe; never heard of them!

Robin123
Member # 9197

Elaine, I think these European studies do exist, much as a lot of good US studies exist that the IDSA doesn't want to pay any attention to.

Are you in Ireland now? Did you get lymed in Ireland? Do you hear much about people having Lyme/co's there? I hear you about the lack of proper care -- it shouldn't be that way.

Kam, thx -- we didn't have any bed options in the studio! Yeah, Kathleen did a great job. Don't know what failure/success comment you're referring to...

Betty -- different culture here -- there's an internet cafe practically on every corner, plus the city is going to try to pass legislation for free WiFi tommorrow. We're wired here, and with cafe lattes to boot...

Robin123
Member # 9197

If anyone else wants to watch... it's free!
Robin123
Member # 9197

Up for any new folks who might want to watch. I just checked -- it's got over a 1000 viewings now -- must have gone on some other sites!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement