LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » For how many people is remission permanent?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: For how many people is remission permanent?
adamm
Unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are these cases complete cures and only seen once in

a blue moon? Are you fated to relapse as long as

there are 'keets in you? Also,

what portion of people with Lyme disease eventually

die from it?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
noelle
Member # 13707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for noelle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think cure is possible, I know everyone says it's not, that it always comes back, but how do they know they didn't get reinfected?

My llmd said that one in every two ticks now carries lyme disease. Everyone I know seems to be coming down with it.

You can get it from being licked by a dog that has it....not joking.

Once a person has had lyme, I believe they remain highly susceptible to recontracting.

These are my opinions based on extensive exhausting research over the last year!!

I also know several people personally that say they are cured!

Noelle

Posts: 16 | From PA | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daise
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some actually do get cured. Some get degrees of success. For some, that degree is not good. For others their success is better.

No one is fated to relapse, unless there is a reason why, whether that particular reason or reasons are known or unknown: GI tract issues, etc.

A lot of things work into this: finances, stress, whether insurance will pay. Many things. Family members attitude. Strategy was all-important, for my success, so far. For example, in getting treatment, in getting food, etc.

Yes, some die. There aren't any current statistics that I'm aware of.

Anybody else?

I try to think positive ... and fight the various powers that be when I have to. I'm lucky to have gotten Social Security Disability, a roof over my head, and treatment for Lyme. Not everyone does. That's real.

There are good docs out there. But generally it seems many, many have to be persistent at getting diagnosed and treatment arranged with their particular medical set-up. You have to fight some quarters. Lyme treatment takes time, time, time.

You have to hang-in there. Treatment is improving. Thank goodness for the LLMD's.

You're asking lots of questions and learning. I encourage you. I'm learning, too.

Never give-up, OK? Never! Yes there are success stories, all over Lymenet. Many of those with limited success, it seems, are still posting at Lymenet. Good for them. I wish them the very best.

The overwhelming majority of people with Lyme don't know that that is the name for their misery. You believe Lyme very well may be. You're pursuing that. Asking questions. You care about yourself. You're smart. Even with an illness that drags your body down. You are fighting it.

Again, never give up, OK?

There is always a nice Lyme nap!

Daise [Smile]

daise
Unregistered

adamm
Unregistered

Thanks for te reassuring words you guys...

ah yes, where would I be without my daily 2 and a half hour nap [Wink]

1981Z28
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3484

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1981Z28     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's been four years now since I finished two years of extensive antibiotic treatment and life is great! I see no reason why it can't continue to be so as long as I do my best to take care of myself. Hope my answer helps many who are still looking for reasons to believe and to advocate for themselves like never before.
Posts: 302 | From Kamloops, B.C., Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
h8lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11765

Icon 1 posted      Profile for h8lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had the disease for a year now, and have met many people with Lyme. The person who diagnosed me with Lyme was not a doctor, but a friend. He is now feeling almost 100%. I have met another person at a support group that is feeling 100%. A third person has stopped coming to meetings because she is feeling "almost normal".

Don't give up hope. We'll get there.

Posts: 158 | From Santa Monica | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hardynaka
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 8099

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hardynaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Adamm, I'm also a believer in full remission. I still can't think of cure, because it's too early for me.

But I'm totally out of anything against lyme, no herbs, no abx, no medicine. I'm still treating fungi though, so not healthy yet... [Frown]

I wonder how long lyme will be gone for me... I live in infested area with infected ticks, so I know I won't be free from reinfection ...

I feel I have more energy in all levels than most of other 'normal' people around me, so life IS good again. A few months ago, I was still suffering AWFUL herxes.

HANG IN! There's hope for many people, I'm also a believer!

Selma

Posts: 1086 | From Switzerland | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bejoy
Member # 11129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bejoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen many people check back in the board saying they have been well for a year or years.

I believe it is possible to get well and stay well. I'm not convinced you can ever get rid of all the borrelia in your system, since it has so many ways to hide.

My approach has been to kill as much of the bacteria I can with antibiotic herbs and pharmaceuticals, and then hit it hard with a homeopathic to keep my immune system after any additional bugs that may come out of hiding.

--------------------
bejoy!

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1918 | From Alive and Well! | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vermont_Lymie
Member # 9780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vermont_Lymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Recently, after 15 months of intense abx and babs treatment, I began to make more rapid progress.

I still have a ways to go, and some neuro symptoms are only now beginning to give a little ground.

(Though, I have been sorely testing these gains this fall with lots of travel and non-stop work...because I have not been able to do all these things in so long.)

But what is amazing is that I see remission ahead. I suspect that it is like this for many others, after a long time of treatment, you start making break-throughs and they keep piling on in a 'virtuous' rather than vicious cycle.

Anyway, I realize that I have not answered your question. I hope it is permanent.

Posts: 2557 | From home | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hardynaka
Member # 8099

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hardynaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vermont, great news!!! Congratulations! I guess you're right, it gets easier when we start to see light in the end of the tunnel!

Many here have seen these break-throughs, no matter what treatment they're using, and that's always good to hear! Bejoy is right. But guys in remission usually leave the board or seldom come for a visit.

As for the death question... No idea. I know many can die (and actually do), but I don't know statistics... These statistics can't be accurate as the diagnostic of lyme is not accurate anyway.

Adamm, don't be worried about death now. Many people improve after treatment, once you stay in the board for longer you'll see it. The breakthroughs! They don't mean 'cure', but that's already a very good place to be!

Posts: 1086 | From Switzerland | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kerryblue
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kerryblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Smile] Hi, Working yrs. with patients.
This is my take IMHO.
Younger you are the more testosterone, you still have to fight of, specially if not been long term & doc. will give you proper treatment.

As many illnesses will you still carry the EBV/Mycoplasma, feel route of all these immune disorders. Not sure if you would test negative while on no meds.
Your aggressive treatment, positive outlook, & mainly how many co-infect. we do not even know all of them as of today.

Let say if you Have CFIDS as part of your branch of tree. Usually can go into emission.
If you have FM/ALS/ etc, those types as part of your treatment.(This is how look at no limb on tree is same neither are we. ANYwho those rarely go into remission until they find right treatment for. You may go into ease of pain with alternative treatment, usually.

OK> not sure how old or how long you truly have illness, especially since hides so deep in brain or tissue.

Hopefully you are 1 of lucky ones. Out of millions.
Glad to hear you are doing so well, nice to hear, happy stories, take the time to enjoy what you have missed ill.. [woohoo] [group hug]
Hugggsss, for all in need....Kerry

Posts: 746 | From Clearwater/fl/Pinellas | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement