LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » NEW UPDATE on Congress Actions- KEEP CALLING and PROTEST

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: NEW UPDATE on Congress Actions- KEEP CALLING and PROTEST
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just got this... looks like more action is needed!

TIME TO ROCK THEIR WORLD!!!

[rant]

```````````````````````````````````````````````

MAKE YOUR VOICE HEARD

CONGRESS:

~ IS BOWING TO IDSA PRESSURE
~ IS IGNORING LYME DISEASE
~ IS LETTING THE LYME BILL DIE
~ IS IGNORING LYME DISEASE & OUR ACCESS TO CARE

HELP THE LYME BILL & DEFEAT THE IDSA

- HR 741 is not on the House Health Subcommittee calendar.

- ONLY Congressman Pallone can put it there

- ONLY YOU can make him put it there

- Don't let the Lyme bill die! We only have weeks left!

- Show Congressman Pallone:

LYME PATIENTS HAVE THE RIGHT TO BE HEARD & WE NEED A BILL HEARING

WEDNESDAY MAY 7TH ~ 11AM - 2 PM

OFFICE of Congressman Frank Pallone (NJ-6)

504 BROADWAY, LONG BRANCH, NJ 07740

REMEMBER: HR 741 THE LYME & TICK-BORNE DISEASES BILL

Provides money, focus and an advisory committee on Lyme & tick-borne diseases. A hearing on the bill enables scientists & doctors to educate Congress about Lyme issues.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION go to:

www.LymeRights.org

for directions, hotel info, bus routes and sign suggestions

Questions?

Email

[email protected]

[ 21. April 2008, 10:37 PM: Message edited by: Tincup ]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some people are just hard- headed.

Did someone forget to tell them we WON'T go away?

[Eek!]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please help keep this at the top for those just logging on!

ThANKS!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pack up the babies and grab the old ladies and EVERYONE go!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Lymeblue
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6897

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good !!! lets go and show them we really want to see our Lyme bill in a calendar for a hearing.
Posts: 983 | From The sky | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ellenluba
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ellenluba     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for posting this , TIncup.

Everybody put May 7th aside and plan to come to a protest at Frank Pallone's office. Start contacting friends and family to come with you.

But right now, we need to follow the other instruction that Tincup gave us last week. http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=065503#000034

These calls, faxes , and emails are essential. We made about 2,000 calls on Friday and want to keep that number up everyday.

If you have not already called and emailed the people Tincup lists, then please do so now. If you've already done that get anybody you know to contact those legislators. This is an urgent issue.
Thanks,
Ellen

--------------------

Posts: 819 | From New York, NY | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mtgirl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13278

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mtgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up!up!up!up!

--------------------
Mountaingirl

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 138 | From West Virginia | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

up sa daisy...

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

METALLlC BLUE
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for METALLlC BLUE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up

--------------------
I am not a physician, so do your own research to confirm any ideas given and then speak with a health care provider you trust.

E-mail: [email protected]

Posts: 4157 | From Western Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm just curious...what has been communicated that tells us we are losing this bill??

For those of us that have already contacted Kennedy, etc. and live out of state and can't be present for the protest, what can we do in support of the protest? Send stories/emails to Congressman Pallone?? Call??

Kristin

Posts: 561 | From mass | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
METALLlC BLUE
Member # 6628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for METALLlC BLUE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would write other senators or call their offices.

--------------------
I am not a physician, so do your own research to confirm any ideas given and then speak with a health care provider you trust.

Posts: 4157 | From Western Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by KS:

I'm just curious...what has been communicated that tells us we are losing this bill??

For those of us that have already contacted Kennedy, etc. and live out of state and can't be present for the protest, what can we do in support of the protest? Send stories/emails to Congressman Pallone?? Call?? Kristin

michel, WE'VE GOT TO CONVINCE PALLONE!!! read the rest of my post ok for other ideas!! thx [Smile]

kristin, have you CALLED AGAIN TODAY; that's a beginning.

edited: i keep showing 1408; it's s1708 !!
i transpose a no. from HR bill every time! darn!

call your FEDERAL SENATORS, S 1708 bill or HOUSE REPS; ASK THEM TO BE A "CO-SPONSOR" to
HR 741 for house reps! WE NEED THEM TO DO THIS TODAY; again critical the amount of CO-SPONSORS to each bill being discussed!

the more co-sponsors, the greater chances Pallone/committee will decide to put THOSE on their agenda for near future hearings!!!

how about emailing a 1 page letter outlining your story to: KENNEDY, PALONNE, & DANDEL, sp !!

can you do this TODAY! TIME IS CRITICAL since they are working on agenda WHICH bills to discuss this quarter; or however often they decide to do this.

if you go to ACTIVISM, read phyllis mervine's post about WHICH OTHER BILLS are up for discussion; ALL WORTHWHILE !!!

thanks for offering to do whatever you can. [group hug] [kiss]

I'm out of state, but email galore and on rare occasions, call DC without having a FREE cell phone to use for unlimited phone calls! [group hug] [kiss]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
METALLlC BLUE
Member # 6628

Icon 10 posted      Profile for METALLlC BLUE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We will betty, we'll get em'. I already hassled them a couple days ago. I'll ride them again of course.

--------------------

bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 14 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i just called again the 3 offices in 4 minutes!

explained who i was, please put this on their hearing agenda as the bill has been there 10 years with NO ACTION AT ALL.

it's we lyme patients are the ones suffering for this; out of pocket expenses for medical and traveling since IOWA DOES NOT HAVE A CHRONIC LLMD HERE,

infectious drs. wrote congresss, and it's full of 50-75% LIES.

we need to get both sides out on the table and go from there as again, it's us PATIENTS, NO ONE ELSE, that is suffering for this.

yes, our llmds are...but i didn't say that to them.

i asked pallone's man if they'd gotten many calls; YES!

last call to dingle's office ... i got someone who listened and SLAMMED DOWN THE PHONE AS SHE SAID THANK YOU FOR CALLING! [cussing] manners [confused]

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KirstenS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KirstenS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am planning on making this! The only reason that would keep me away is not being able to get out of bed.

But, the way I look at it, looking absolutely horrible from being ill from Lyme will be a good thing!

Posts: 101 | From NJ | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Anyone from COLORADO!!

Or if you know someone in COLORADO!!!

NO ONE from that state has signed on as a co-sponsor. You have 30 different kinds of ticks there!

They want to hear from YOU.. not me cause I am not FROM Colorado.

Please call ASAP. THANKS!!!

Sennator Wayne Allard

(202) 224-5941

and

Congresswoman Diane DeGette

(202) 225-4431

THANK YOU!!!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Tincup
Member # 5829

Good for YOU!

Thanks! Let's keep up the calls and rock the boat.

Kirsten... glad you can go!!! Wonderful news!!!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

KirstenS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KirstenS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will also call tomorrow and have some friends and family do so also.

I cannot retain and research at times due to my neuro lyme but I want to thank you all for your wonderful information

You have no idea how much everyone is helping me!
Thank you everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [group hug]

Posts: 101 | From NJ | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvdogs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9507

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvdogs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I, and all of my Lyme friends, are driving them crazy with phone calls and faxes. Keep it up!
Posts: 588 | From Rhode Island | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

You all make me smile real big!!!

THANK YOU!

And keep calling till they cry "UNCLE"!!!

NOW is our chance to tell them what we think!!!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CALL, CALL, CALL, CALL, CALL, CALL, CALL, CALL!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

METALLlC BLUE
Member # 6628

I have a relative in every state *wink wink*, so just call and call and call, and call. Call everyone. My "relative" works at the state DMV, so I just put that address. He gets his mail there *wink wink*.

Hope that helps folks.

--------------------

Tincup
Member # 5829

WAY TO GO!!

I called the offices today and ALL of them say they have gotten LOTS of calls for a week!

Keep it up!!!

Don't let them think we are going away!!!

How about a letter to your local editor?

Tell them the IDSA sucks!

Be nice though. And call call call!!!

Fax fax fax too!

And contact YOUR representatives in YOUR state and tell them you want THEM to help you by taking to these people to get the bill out of the committee.

And thank you all!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Tincup
Member # 5829

Here you go!

Call for our military men and women!

Here is the site..

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=065649

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

njgirl14
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14174

Icon 1 posted      Profile for njgirl14     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can someone post a sample of a fax letter. What info to include etc. It would make it easy for some of us lyme brains.

I have called all 3 and Pallone's office took my contact info. Should I keep calling with the same info?

Posts: 262 | From nj | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NJ Girl...

Good for you!!!!

Here is a sample letter from the LDA site...

I broke it up for easier reading here.. but a link to the site to copy and paste it from is below.

```````````````````````````````````````````

SAMPLE letter asking House Representative for bill support:

E-mail or fax your letter (personalized if possible) to the Washington , DC office.

Your First & Last name
Your Street Address
City, State and Zip Code
Your Phone Number

Month day, year

The Honorable xxxx xxxx
U.S. House of Representatives

Dear Representative xxxx:

Please co-sponsor ``The Lyme and Tick-Borne Disease Prevention, Education, and Research Act of 2007'' (HR 741 Chris Smith/Bart Stupak) which has a companion bill in the senate S 1708 (Dodd/Schumer/Hagel).

Tick-borne diseases (TBD), especially Lyme, are an increasing worldwide problem,* with concerns expressed about Lyme disease by a number of agencies, including the UN and the World Health Organization, which are looking at global environmental and health-related issues.

Yet, funding is not forthcoming from government sources and has even decreased for Lyme despite rising case numbers.

In fact, its funding is being vastly overshadowed by funding for other less prevalent diseases like West Nile Virus (WNV).

In 2005, the government expended about $32.6 million (down from $33.6 million in 2004) on Lyme disease and $80.8 million (up from $77.6 million in 2004) on WNV, despite the fact that there were 8 times more Lyme cases reported than WNV cases.

Additionally, there are 10 times more cases of Lyme disease that meet the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) criteria than are reported.

In 2005, the final CDC reported numbers show 23,305 reported Lyme disease cases nationally; translating into 233,050 actual new cases that met CDC criteria.

No one knows how many occurred that do not even fit CDC surveillance criteria.

Lyme disease, the most common vector-borne disease in the United States , is usually contracted by the bite from a bacteria-infected tick.

In humans, infection with Lyme disease bacteria can lead to early symptoms such as severe headaches, debilitating fatigue, joint pain, and skin rashes, while long-term symptoms can lead to problems related to the central nervous system including the brain, heart, joints and other musculo-skeletal problems.

Symptoms of Lyme disease vary for each individual patient, and also vary in intensity over the course of the disease.

The long-term cost of Lyme disease to families, school systems, the health care system, and the economy is astounding.

According to a study published in 1993 in Contingencies, an actuarial trade publication, the cost to society for Lyme disease was about one billion dollars per year.

The average treatment and diagnosis and lost wages related to Lyme disease was $61,688 per year per patient.

Cases have doubled since then, so today's costs are probably $2 Billion or more annually.

Despite the prevalence, severity, and economic costs of this illness, patients with Lyme disease are having increased difficulty obtaining diagnosis and treatment.

You are in a unique position to right this wrong. Your co-sponsorship and vote for HR 741 (Smith/Stupak) are essential. It will improve surveillance and prevention of Lyme disease, the development of accurate diagnostic tests, physician education, and it will fund additional research to determine long-term course of illness and the effectiveness of different treatments.

It also sets up a federal task force to coordinate the federal efforts to combat Lyme disease.

I am sure you agree that Lyme disease patients and the public deserve more from our health care system.

Sincerely,

SIGNATURE (If email, no signature is necessary, but type in your name)
Your First & Last Name typed

Found here:

http://www.lymediseaseassociation.org/HR741/Link/SampleIndNot.html#houseltr

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

breezywings
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for breezywings   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
His office is only minutes away from my home. I am recruiting people to come with me. I will be there with my voice, my opinions and my picket!!

I will start my harassing calls today.

Many thanks for this thread.

--------------------
...~*Just keep swimming, Just keep swimming*~...

Posts: 120 | From New Jersey | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
proudtoserve
Member # 14811

Icon 1 posted      Profile for proudtoserve     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is only a couple minutes from my house as well.

I will be there along with my family.

[woohoo] [group hug]

--------------------
PROUD : )

-
Dx: Lyme & Bart April 2008.
currently on plaquanil, Roxid and Sulfameth.

Posts: 89 | From Manalapan, NJ | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the ralliers:

What do we want? Our Lyme bill hearing!!

When do we want it? Now!!

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Proud!!! I just came here looking for this link to take to your most recent post.

I see you WILL be there!

Did you know the Military Group is showing up with signs and loud voices too? The military ducks don't help.. but the military's research division is LIGHT YEARS ahead of all of us.

I am asking you a favor... if I may be so bold?

Since you are so close... is it possible to rally some of your military or other friends to help represent those of us too sick to make the long trip?

They don't have to have Lyme disease to protest.. and we need a HUGE showing!

How I would LOVE to see the marching bands there too!

WOW... too cool!

Let me know!

If you want you can email me at

[email protected]

ANY help you can give us would be FANTASTIC!!!!

Thanks!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Tincup
Member # 5829

JUST got an update!

"Media will be there & Congress will be watching to see how strong we really are.

We MUST have a strong showing!!

Please be sure to visit LymeRights.org for updates and to sign up - it's important to have an idea of how many people to expect & what states will be represented.

Together we CAN make a difference!"

`````````````````````````````````````````````

Yes.. be sure to sign up so the press will know (packages of info need to be prepared for them in advance by volunteers) how many people approximately will be there and how many states will be represented.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

daise
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Media will be there!

daise [Smile]

Tracy9
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How can we see who is signed up to go?

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Will try to answer questions later.

Now is bed time.

Up for morning crew...

CALL, CALL, CALL, YA'LL

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Tincup
Member # 5829

You do know that you are making history here!

This effort is something you will always remember.... Well, with Lyme? HA, who knows!

But anyway... the point is... it is a good lesson for the kids too. Show them that you stand up for what is right! That you care about their future!

If everyone found ONE more person to call today... we could rock their boats! Numbers DO count!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Tincup
Member # 5829

Oh yeah...

More info to come (questions answered) on the www.LymeRights.org site... check tonight or tomorrow.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Tincup
Member # 5829

STILL NO promises from Pallone! Keep calling!!!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

[rant]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just heard there are updates posted on the Lyme Rights site...

www.LymeRights.org

See you there!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement