LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » GARLIC- does it cross the BBB

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: GARLIC- does it cross the BBB
djf2005
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for djf2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey folks-

when eating fresh cloves of garlic, other than boosting one's immune system, is it able to effectively cross the BBB and eliminate some of the wonderful !@$# up in there?

thanks

d

--------------------
"Experience is not what happens to you; it is what you do with what happens to you."

[email protected]

Posts: 2269 | From Lansdowne, Pa | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bejoy
Member # 11129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bejoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know, but I've never heard that it does, and I don't feel like it reduced my neuro symptoms. I'd like to hear what you find out.

However it's a powerful antibiotic and antifungal, a great lyme, babesia, and candida killer.

For neuro symptoms, I found that penicillin injections (bicillin) and Venex bee venom ointment crossed the BBB very well for me.

--------------------
bejoy!

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1918 | From Alive and Well! | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jamescase20
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I dont honestly know, but it should I believe, if its in your blood at least SOME of it does pass. I dont even think its really known if garlic actually does kill.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, it does cross the Blood Brain Barrier. But it has to be a quality Garlic product retaining all properties and has to be taken and timed correctly. I have described it many times in my various old posts and just yesterday under a Garlic thread.

This is an excerpt from a publication by Dr. K.
that you can find on his website www.neuraltherapy.com (Use of Pharmax Nutriceuticals for Lyme, etc.):

Specific Treatment for Borrelia, Ehrlichiosis, Babesia and Mycoplasma Infections

1) Freeze Dried Garlic (700mg freeze dried garlic concentrate [Allium sativum] per capsule)

For the specific treatment of Borrelia, we use Freeze Dried Garlic in the dose already recommended. The garlic will first eliminate the microorganisms and parasites in the bowel before the allicin and its breakdown products can be active in the connective tissue and later also in the brain. Allicin, the primary active ingredient, has been shown to cross the blood-brain barrier and it is a surprisingly effective antimicrobial agent against the Lyme spirochete even in the brain and the CNS.

However, high doses are recommended, usually upwards from 5,600mg total daily intake given in divided doses every 6 hours. This translates to 4 capsules QID. The way I often titrate the individual dose is by body odor. When a patient gets a slight garlic body odor, the desired dosage is reached.

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dr. Beck seems to think so...

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=065844

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

From my experience ------

Garlic contains numerous sulphur components, including the most valuable sulph-hydryl groups, which oxidize mercury, cadmium and lead and make these metals water-soluble. This makes it easy for the organism to excrete these substances.

Allergies often manifest themselves in an overloaded body - too much accumulation of toxin.
I was allergic to everything in the world, yet do not have a single allergy today. Every allergy started to fall by the wayside once I started to clean up my body - in my case especially the teeth and the steadily toxin-producing root canals.

Bob Beck caused a nightmare in the late ninetees. It is well known that approx. 25% are allergic to garlic. It can be treated I was told recently with certain Heel homeopathics, but this takes several months.

Without certain sulfhydryls such as in garlic, detoxing heavy metals is difficult. And if one cannot detox heavy metals, getting rid of the Lyme and fungi, etc. is literally impossible. I also learned that and this is still true today with every Dr. K. patient I meet.

Take heavy metals seriously if you have trouble getting well. That would be my emphasis. I work on it every day in order not to accumulate them.

Take care.

[ 01. May 2008, 12:49 PM: Message edited by: GiGi ]

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brussels
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never took higher doses of freeze garlic as they upset my stomach at higher doses.

At low doses (3 capsules maximum), I never felt really much improvement in my brain, but lots of improvement on other areas.

I find that Buhner's herbs cross BBB wonderfully better for borrelia (stephania, polygonum, andro, cats claw, for example), and my body accepted this combo much easier than loads of frozen garlic.

But cleansing properties and the intensity of garlic are uncomparable, and I would use it through acute infection or high load of parasites, GI parasites, viruses, for sure, if I get again reinfected. As it's so widespectrum, garlic is precious.

The frozen garlic is the strongest of all products I ever tried.

Long term, I would rather keep on Buhner's herbs though, because my body prefers them. Any intake of polygonum for example will bring some result in the brain, in my experience. Specially for bart fog and borrelia fog.

A great advantage of garlic though, is that it's a hot herb, while most of Buhners herbs are cold. Garlic made my body warmer while B's herbs made me into a refrigerator. If I could tolerate frozen garlic more, I would then have used it more, I suppose.

Selma

Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xtine
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13928

Icon 1 posted      Profile for xtine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
would fresh garlic be the best since it's the most natural source? or are the frozen versions more concentrated?

also, how do you take the fresh garlic? i've tried eating many cloves but end up with the worst breath all day long! (and night).

I've heard you can cut it up and swollow it like a pill? would that work?

Posts: 127 | From Toronto, Ontario Canada | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HaplyCarlessdave
Member # 413

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaplyCarlessdave   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a very high probability that if it wasn't for garlic, I'd be chronically ill. It was a huge factor in my recovery. It definitely seemed that munching raw cloves (LOTS)was as effective as any other formulation.
DaveS

Posts: 4567 | From ithaca, NY, usa | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HaplyCarlessdave
Member # 413

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaplyCarlessdave   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As for getting in the brain, it sure seemed to permeate my whole being! I was dreaming of garlic- maybe that's an indicator...
DS

Posts: 4567 | From ithaca, NY, usa | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Skyler
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Skyler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Today my doctor just told me to try taking this special garlic pill that has shown to help destroy lyme!

Allimax Nutraceuticals - completes clinical trial for Treating Lyme.

its at ww.allimed.us

I have not tried it, but check out the studies they did. It looks good. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I'm probably sleeping...

Posts: 419 | From Florida | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
christinelyme2
Member # 15028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for christinelyme2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, I know that Minocycline crosses the blood-

brain barriar, it's good for neuro-lyme, which

is what I have. Anyone else?? [confused]

Posts: 27 | From pa | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yanivnaced
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13212

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yanivnaced     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always wondered about spicy foods - whether they cause a brain herx.

Ever ate something so spicy that it feels like your head is spinning? I would imagine capscaicin is a BBB antibiotic just like garlic.

Posts: 655 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
christinelyme2
Member # 15028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for christinelyme2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's funny, because when ever I eat something

really spicy, I feel buzzed and my head spins.

What is good to detox, I'm thinking about

trying that because I'm so sick of having

symptons! Did you ever detox? [confused]

Posts: 27 | From pa | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
christinelyme2
Member # 15028

I don't really like garlic, but do you think the

pills work just as well?

sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried AlliMax & didn't have much of an improvement. I read about their "clinical trials" & I don't think they are valid. It seems that they got the opinion of a few people over a short period of time - it wasn't an extensive study.

I would be all for it if it worked but it didn't even prevent me from getting a cold after taking the high dose for over a month. Nor did it help my Lyme symptoms. I have my doubts about it & it's rather expensive...

Here's a google listing of the AlliMax "study" -

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=allimax%2C+lyme+study&btnG=Search

There are alot of claims but no real definitive conclusion. It's kind of "wishy-washy" as to what actually happened.

I'm not telling anyone what to do but I would be suspect of your doctor if he recommended this stuff & didn't really check into it.

There are certain radio personalities who are touting this product. I'm a bit suspicious of them & their claims... If I were going to take garlic, I would just crush it up & eat it right away. Saves alot of money.

The freeze dried garlic might be good but I haven't tried it.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
christinelyme2
Member # 15028

have you tried any kind of detox? I want to try

it,but don't know what kinds are good. I see my

LLMD next week and will ask these questions and

more. Other doctors are saying i have MS. Lyme

and MS mimic each other symptons. Did any doctor

do that to anyone else? [confused]

christinelyme2
Member # 15028

what is the cowden protocol????????? [bonk]
Brussels
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Xtine, fresh garlic (chewed) is also good, but I guess one needs to chew so many a day to get best effects...

I started like that in the beginning, then decided to thrash them and freeze them, and ingest them later. After I bought loads of supplements, different garlic preparations etc.

In my experience, freeze garlic is the best, easiest, less smelly (compared to eating whole cloves), and very cost effective.

swallowing garlic cloves wont help, definitively I dont think so.

some of the brain fog lifted with garlic or sulphur is due to sulphur content, I think. But for me, pure sulphur (MSM) is much faster and concentrated for that purpose. Much of the fog I had was due to toxins, and indeed, sulphur worked wonderful.

At least for me, MSM for detox worked like bomb, but I needed loads many times a day to have long lasting effect.

I feel my body is able to kill after ingesting low doses of any killer/ imunomodulator/ stimulants, but my body is unable to clean well.

So I cant detox the mess after killing, fog comes, tiredness, etc. In my case, as taking garlic kills too, I never tested for high amounts of freeze garlic, maybe because of that reason, but tested (kinesiology) for loads of MSM. I guess each person is different, but I swear for this product. One has to open the capsules in water, and drink it, better after a meal.

Selma

Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

Re garlic -----It takes a long time and several times a day.
I took 9-12 capsules of freeze-dried (made only organic/important - not garlic from China!!!!! which is probably more toxic than we are)
divided over 3 times a day. The timing is just as important -- following right after a meal.
Unless you open the capsules, then in between meals works also.

I did that for many, many months --- to titration = lowering the dose when I started to smell. I did that for a good two years and then at a lower dose all the time. That is also the reason I never did the fresh garlic - it's difficult to get a handle on the potency and the 3x daily crushing, etc. involved. I learned to be thriftier in other ways instead, so I could afford this - my best medicine. The effects reach into every area of chronic infections - it is anti-everything literally.

Take good care.

yanivnaced
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13212

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yanivnaced     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is Zhang Allicin basically freeze dried garlic?
When I open the capsule the contents looks exactly like broken up dehydrated garlic.

Posts: 655 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brussels
Member # 13480

Gigi, great to know that you think that it does cross the BBB. I think I just didn't ingest enough to feel any benefits in the brain (except for some cleansing).

I was on it for about a month, on and off, but only low amounts (tested by ART).
As soon as bacterial load fell, I shifted to Buhners or other herbs (ART tested or muscle tested).

Frozen garlic was upsetting my stomach. But I shall be exceptional, my GI tract is very sensitive since childhood.

But I did use the product quite a few times and I still have my reserve at home. I find it very cost effective for what it does.

My little daughter used it together with Buhner's herbs, during acute lyme infection. Shes been almost 2 years infection free.

I dont think Zhangs product is the same as freeze garlic. I didnt try it so I cant compare.

Wallace
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4771

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wallace     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just boosting this thread as some posters make clear that we need to eat of lot of garlic for it to work!

Hence my new 30 clove a day regime!

See my 35 clove a day thread.

Wallace

Posts: 654 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Yes, what I've read goes along with what GiGi wrote:

" . . .Allicin, the primary active ingredient, has been shown to cross the blood-brain barrier and it is a surprisingly effective antimicrobial agent against the Lyme spirochete even in the brain and the CNS. . . ." end quote.

Coptis will cross the BBB, too (according to information in Dr. Z' s book - below).

And andrographis, too, crosses the BBB (p. 78, Buhner's book "Healing Lyme . . ." - http://tinyurl.com/5vnsjg )

-----

http://tinyurl.com/5drx94

Lyme Disease and Modern Chinese Medicine - by Dr. QingCai Zhang, MD & Yale Zhang

web site: www.sinomedresearch.org and use "clinic" and then "clinic" for the passwords or call Hepapro through www.hepapro.com

At the sinomed site, you can read about the protocol and specifically about the form of allicin he uses:

Protocol: www.sinomedresearch.org/ZCprotocols/LD.htm

Allicin: www.sinomedresearch.org/ZCprotocols/formulas/Allicin.htm

excerpts:

. . . molecular weight is 162.27 Daltons [2]

. . . The Allicin Capsule is made in a time-release form and it will keep the concentration of allicin in the blood even and prolonged.

. . . Allitridi is a highly purified and concentrated garlic essence and is the precursor of allicin. When it is metabolized in the body, it becomes allicin and displays its characteristic odor and pharmacological actions.

. . . because it has strong ability passing blood brain barrier, it is especially good for central nerve system infections. . . .

============================

About RAW garlic:

PLEASE . . . be VERY careful when eating raw garlic.

You have to eat a lot of raw garlic to get enough allicin. Allicin does not last long after cutting and is destroyed by cooking. However, cooked garlic also has many good properties.

Raw garlic can burn a hole through the lining of a stomach if over done, or if not done properly - such as with certain foods to protect the stomach lining. Even going down, the mouth and esophagus can be burned in some tender folks.

Not everyone can eat raw garlic. Start very slowly with just 1/4 clove in the middle of a meal. Don't increase too rapidly.

Garlic is fantastic but it can be caustic. Be sure to get expert advice from several sources before proceeding and take it slowly.

Some of the freeze dried garlic or allicin preparations can be just as effective as many are enteric coated, designed to open up past the tender part of the stomach. The amount of allicin in the better capsules is far more than want is in the amount of garlic that most people can safely eat.

Again, some people may be able to eat lots of raw garlic. Not everyone is the same in that regard and you may not know all the variables. It is worth learning much more, though.

I have a friend who can load on jalapenio (sp?) peppers. I can't even handle the slightest mint in a toothpaste as it burns so brutally.

There are differences in what people can tolerate.

-

[ 15. September 2008, 05:31 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Yes. I've asked before but never heard of anyone else having this happen.

Tinnitus just rockets to the moon so much so that I can't even tolerate any garlic supplements. I can still eat it in moderation, though.

I have found that andrographis, though, is a wonderful thing and it does not raise the tinnitus nearly as much as garlic/allicin does for me.

Coptis, too, works very well for me. All as part of a particular protocol, not alone, though.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

"Garlic contains numerous sulphur components, including the most valuable sulph-hydryl groups, which oxidize mercury, cadmium and lead and make these metals water-soluble. This makes it easy for the organism to excrete these substances."

I wrote this in this thread above and because of garlic's effect and the fact that an heavy metals and tinnitus are quite closely tied - you may be shifting some heavy metals around causing the tinnitus. If you do garlic it has to be taken closely following a meal, and since it does move metals, you also need to pay attention to binding agents - which is probably the most important aspect of all detoxing - all refuse from dead bacteri, etc. and all other neurotoxins, xenobiotics and biotoxins, literally every toxin we now carry because of environmental conditions.

Read up on binding agents - if you don't take any, you are shifting many neurotoxins around in the system instead of getting them out of the body for good. Here are some:

nanonized chlorella (as in Biologo-Detox)
chlorella
zeolite
chitosan (watch out for allergic react. to shrimp)
pectin
potato with peel
guar gum
cholestyramine (I didn't care for it)
activated charcoal
lots of fruit and veggie fiber
get dried veggies and eat them all day long
(I buy them by 3 lbs bags - they are delicious)

Do a search here - there are many posts on garlic.

Take care.

Keebler
Member # 12673

-

Thank you, Gigi, for the reminder.

The timing of my green powders, etc. may not have been just right or I may not have has as many binders as needed.

-

lymie_in_md
Member # 14197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie_in_md     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GiGi -- Just a question about montmorillonite clay, is that a good binding agent? Some say there is aluminum in it, but also say it is part of compound that isn't bioavailable. Just curious if you had some thoughts on it.

--------------------
Bob

Posts: 2150 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richedie
Member # 14689

Icon 1 posted      Profile for richedie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So if fresh raw garlic can be tough and dangerous on the system, what about Kyolic Garlic caps? Are these Freeze Dried caps the best?

On a side note, my buddy said his doc told him he has gotten many Lyme patients well on SKB?!
http://www.kroegerherb.com/index.php/products/combination_detail/sz/#2446

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Doxy/Biaxin/Flagyl pulse.
Artemisinin with Doxy/Biaxin.
Period of Levaquin and Ceftin.
Then Levaquin, Bactrim and Biaxin.
Bactrim/Augmentin/Rifampin.
Mepron/Biaxin/Artemisinin/Cat's Claw
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

Posts: 1949 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-

Richedie:

SPK Formula� (formerly Spiro Kete�) - Yes, I do know of one doctor who has had good results with this. It is very strong so be careful. start SLOWLY with adequate liver support measures and planned rest.

I was not saying that people may not want to try fresh garlic, just not dozens of cloves a day. If a person can easily tolerate a couple cloves of fresh garlic a day, in addition to the medicinal strength of the best supplement, that is great.

If not, the raw garlic may become an acquired ability but don't push it if the stomach is tender as garlic can burn. (Many of the supplements' capsule are enteric coated so that they protect the stomach.)

Freeze dried, organic garlic is the best. BioPure (as mentioned in Dr. K's writings) is the brand that GiGi and some others have determined to be their winner.

The organic, for obvious reasons. GiGi has also suggested to avoid any supplements grown in China for the obvious reason that the air and water pollution there are at all time highs and it's hard to trace the origin and packaging process.

I have found the Hepapro brand to be excellent, too.

==========================

The rest of this is JUST ABOUT TINNITUS --

Regarding anyone for whom allicin raises TINNITUS - a puzzle I've been trying to solve for years for myself. Since J-Dog also asked the question, I took another stab.

GiGi has the most likely answer (garlic/allicin is a heavy metal assist but those metals can be mobilized if proper detox measures are not sufficient). Other considerations follow.

[edited to change a bit in like of GiGi's post below]

According to some of the research, the addition of ZINC may help prevent tinnitus for anyone who has that as an effect of garlic. It could be that they may be zinc-deficient as zinc-deficient rats had hearing loss from salicylic acid. Salicylic acid is in aspirin, garlic/allicin and other things, too.

[However, see GiGi's post below]

Asprin can cause hearing loss. Aspirin can cause tinnitus. Tinnitus is one indication of damage to the ears (and can sometimes be reversed). Hearing specialists advise stopping anything that increases tinnitus so as to protect the ears.

If the tinnitus that some people get from garlic/allicin may be caused by the salicylic acid in allicin, then perhaps, being sure that they are not zinc-deficient may help prevent the tinnitus.

This is just a germ of an idea (pardon the pun) . . . in addition to the heavy metal issue that GiGi mentions above. Zinc is Involved in much of the detox ability of the body and in good nervous system function.

Also to consider: SALICYLATE SENSITIVITY

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salicylate_sensitivity

Excerpt: . . . Salicylate sensitivity, also known as salicylate intolerance, is any adverse effect that occurs when a normal amount of salicylate (salicylic acid) is introduced into a person's body . . . .

- full article at link above.

============

A HOT HERB

And . . . the fact that garlic is a hot herb and that can be a bit ``speedy'' to some people, or cause an excitation to the nervous system.

Not everyone is able to handle that.

From what I've read about Chinese medicine, this might indicate a person who is yin-deficient (as many with chronic illness are).

------

RE: tinnitus from garlic/allicin

just a start to this research

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez

PubMed Search:

Garlic - 2936 abstracts

Allicin - 281

allicin, tinnitus - No items found.

=====================

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salycylic_acid

SALICYLIC ACID

Excerpt:

Salicylic acid is an organic acid biosynthesized from the amino acid phenylalanine.

[poster's note inserted here: Salicylic acid also occurs naturally in some plants such as willow and garlic.]

History of aspirin

,. . . The active extract of the bark, called salicin, after the Latin name for the white willow (Salix alba), was isolated in crystalline form in 1828 by Henri Leroux, a French pharmacist, and Raffaele Piria, an Italian chemist.

Piria was able to convert the substance into a sugar and a second component, which on oxidation becomes salicylic acid.

. . . Salicylic acid has an OTOTOXIC effect by inhibiting prestin.[9]

[see more about PRESTIN at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prestin - very interesting]

It [ Salicylic acid] can induce transient hearing loss in zinc-deficient individuals.

. . . An injection of salicylic acid induced hearing loss in zinc-deficient rats, while a simultaneous injection of zinc reversed the hearing loss.

An injection of magnesium in the zinc-deficient rats did not reverse the salicylic acid-induced hearing loss.

. . . Some people are hypersensitive to salicylic acid and related compounds.

==========

ALLICIN

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allicin

- and of course much more about allicin from PubMed

=============

So, some things to consider:

* Correcting ZINC balance if deficient [but, first consider the post below from GiGi]

* Adequate measures for binding, detox of heavy metals

* Salicylate sensitivity

* The excitatory effect of a hot herb on a yin-deficient person. Adrenal support may be of help.

* LIVER SUPPORT - along the line of the heavy metal overload but separate, as garlic/allicin in a broad spectrum antimicrobial, if a bacterial/viral/fungal/protozoa die-off is too much for the liver to process, additional liver support and detox measures may help to avoid the tinnitus.

- still a work in progress...

-

[ 16. September 2008, 04:27 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

GiGi
Member # 259

Zinc has a synergistic effect on mercury - never add zinc unless you know for certain with energetic testing or otherwise that you are actually zinc deficient. Since I now do test with
Biotensor, this ---- as Dr. K. has been stating for many years ---- is really becoming clear to me: If zinc is lacking, the deficiency may show one day and then be gone for many days.

Adding single minerals for long periods of time, in general, is not a good idea. It throws everything else out of balance.

(Same goes for adding single neurotransmitters: you add one consistently and it throws others out of balance.)

Our body likes balance.

Take care.

"Toxins almost never come alone. They come in synergistically acting package-deals. Mercury alone is toxic. Together with zinc it is many times more toxic, add in a little copper and silver, as in dental amalgam fillings, and the detrimental effect to the body increases manifold. Together with mercaptan and t hioether (dental toxins), the toxic amalgam effects grow exponentially. Add in a little PCB and dioxin, as in fish, and the illness causing effect of the methyl mercury in fish increases manifold. Toxicology is to a large degree the study of synergistic effects. In synergy 1 plus 1 = 100. Heavy metals are primarily neurotoxins. There is a synergistic effect between all neurotoxins which is responsible for the illness producing effect." D.K.

Keebler
Member # 12673

-

GiGi,

thanks so much for your very helpful post. It is very much appreciated.

-

HaplyCarlessdave
Member # 413

I am convinced that garlic sped my recovery considerably; it's even quite possible that without it I would not have been able to recover.
As far as "crossing the blood brain barrier", though I'm not a med person, I would venture to say, "probably". After all, when I was eating a huge amount of garlic it sure seemed like it permeated my entire body- the whole world smelled and tasted like one big garlic clove...

Garlic is a very good thing to add to an anti lyme regimen. I think it's probably anti-yeast, too.

The combination of garlic and artimesia anua was probably essential for curing me of the coinfection, Babesia, as well.
DaveS

Keebler
Member # 12673

-

http://tinyurl.com/yshrfv

Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2006 May;50(5):1731-7.
Links

Antimalarial activity of allicin, a biologically active compound from garlic cloves.

Coppi A, Cabinian M, Mirelman D, Sinnis P.

Department of Medical Parasitology, New York University School of Medicine, 341 East 25th Street, New York, NY 10010, USA.

The incidence of malaria is increasing, and there is an urgent need to identify new drug targets for both prophylaxis and chemotherapy.

Potential new drug targets include Plasmodium proteases that play critical roles in the parasite life cycle.

We have previously shown that the major surface protein of Plasmodium sporozoites, the circumsporozoite protein (CSP), is proteolytically processed by a parasite-derived cysteine protease, and this processing event is temporally associated with sporozoite invasion of host cells.

E-64, a cysteine protease inhibitor, inhibits CSP processing and prevents invasion of host cells in vitro and in vivo. Here we tested allicin, a cysteine protease inhibitor found in garlic extracts, for its ability to inhibit malaria infection.

At low concentrations, allicin was not toxic to either sporozoites or mammalian cells.

At these concentrations, allicin inhibited CSP processing and prevented sporozoite invasion of host cells in vitro. In vivo, mice injected with allicin had decreased Plasmodium infections compared to controls.

When sporozoites were treated with allicin before injection into mice, malaria infection was completely prevented.

We also tested allicin on erythrocytic stages and found that a 4-day regimen of allicin administered either orally or intravenously significantly decreased parasitemias and increased the survival of infected mice by 10 days.

**** Together, these experiments demonstrate that the same cysteine protease inhibitor can target two different life cycle stages in the vertebrate host. ****

PMID: 16641443 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

-

Wallace
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4771

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wallace     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave,

How much daily garlic were/are eating?

As I mentioned on the 35 clove garlic thread I find blending it with the olive oil/ lemon drink makes it much easier to take.

Wallace

Posts: 654 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oxygenbabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Allimax makes a stabilized allicin.I use it. (Get the liquid).
Posts: 2276 | From united states | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wallace
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4771

oxygenbabe

What dosage do you take? do you get a herx? Do you think thats important?

What do you think of combining raw garlic with lemon/olive oil. Is eating raw garlic best?
TC

Wallace

Wallace
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4771

Excellent article

Wallacethe immune support natural

by Jill Neimark*
ImmuneSupport.com

12-13-2006

Advertisement

Many folks with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia suffer from chronic infections. Garlic is a remarkable food source with an incredible spectrum of activity against bacteria, fungal infections, and viruses. Now, with new and stable formulations available, garlic supplements can be used to combat infections naturally, according to chemist Peter Josling, Director of the Garlic Center in Sussex, England and author of the book, "Allicin: The Heart of Garlic.

JN: How did you get interested in garlic in the first place?

PJ: I'm a chemist by training and I was working for a medical publisher who commissioned an article on garlic and heart disease. There is evidence that certain types of garlic extract can help reduce cholesterol. I went off to the British Library, and to my amazement there were well over 1,500 articles and clinical papers on garlic's role in cancer, heart disease, and infectious disease. I couldn't quite believe it, and after that I was hooked.

Chemical analyses of garlic cloves have revealed an unusual concentration of sulfur-containing compounds - in fact, if you search the National Library of Medicine (www.nlm.nih.gov), you find more articles on garlic than ginseng or ginkgo or tea tree. It was in 1944 that researchers first isolated the molecule responsible for the remarkable antibacterial activity of crushed garlic cloves. It turned out to be allicin, which is an oxygenated sulfur molecule.

JN: Garlic actually has several very potent sulfur products, which give the herb its distinctive smell. Can you describe each one of them?

PJ: The chemistry of garlic is quite complicated, but very well described in the medical literature. Garlic cloves are odor free until crushed or processed.

Allicin is the first compound produced from fresh garlic when you crush it. Allicin is what garlic uses to protect itself when it is ``attacked.'' Allicin is created when a chemical called alliin reacts with an enzyme in garlic called allinase. However, this enzyme is quasi-suicidal. That means that as soon as it reacts with the alliin it dies away - unlike most enzymes, which will carry on ad infinitum as long as they have a molecule to act on.

JN: Allicin is very potent but unstable.

PJ: Right. Chemists have needed to capture it and freeze it at minus 70 degrees centigrade to preserve it. It is incredibly unstable. That's why many garlic products in the supplement industry are made of alliin and allinase in a single capsule, which will react to produce allicin when they came into contact with water and are joined together.

JN: So you could take a capsule with those two ingredients, and allicin would be produced in your stomach.

PJ: Yes. Even so, the amount of allicin released in your stomach is variable. It depends on the product.

JN: As soon as you crush a fresh clove of garlic, and the allicin begins to degrade, it changes into other sulfur compounds such as allitridium and ajoene. Those are supposed to be very beneficial for our health, too. I've read that allitridium has antifungal and antibacterial activity, though not as potent as allicin. And that ajoene is good at lowering cholesterol.

PJ: That's true, though allicin is the most potent antibacterial and antifungal substance in garlic. Bacteria, from Escherichia coli (E. coli) to Staphylococcus aureus, Proteus mirabilis, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, and many others, are sensitive to garlic. So is Helicobactor pylori (H. pylori), the bacterium that causes stomach ulcers.

Even more interesting, garlic can prevent the formation of toxins from staphylococcus bacteria, and there is evidence that the toxins themselves cause illness. Basically, allicin is a broad-spectrum antibiotic. We've tested it on 30 clinical isolates of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus [and it is highly active] against these resistant strains of staphylococcus. We also published another study on nearly 150 volunteers showing that allicin helps prevent the common cold. There is some evidence that ajoene, however, may be slightly better as an antiviral.

JN: What other healing properties does garlic have?

PJ: It enhances immune function, according to studies in animals. It seems to enhance the activity of natural killer cells, and to inhibit the growth of certain cancer cells. It has been used for treating high blood pressure and arteriosclerosis since the early part of the last century. Regular garlic intake lowers hypertension, and as early as 1928, definite blood pressure decreases were achieved with garlic therapy.

It is also well established that garlic extracts, in particular garlic powders, have a significant anti-cholesterol effect. One 12-week study compared garlic powder tablets with a commonly prescribed lipid-lowering drug that was used before the statins (drugs that inhibit the enzyme determining the speed of cholesterol synthesis) became popular. This was a multi-center, double-blind study with 94 patients. After just a month of treatment, the decreases in triglycerides and ``bad'' LDL cholesterol were also statistically significant - and just the same as the drug. ``Good'' cholesterol (HDL) also increased significantly.

JN: Tell me more about allicin and cancer? I know there is some work in Israel where they have attached allicin to antibodies and helped kill cancer cells.

PJ: Epidemiological studies show that cancer occurs the least in those countries where garlic and onions are eaten regularly in high doses - France, Italy, Egypt, India, and China, for instance. Since garlic is mainly eaten cooked in most of these countries, an anti-cancer effect may be due to other compounds in garlic besides allicin.

However, the antibiotic effects of garlic may help inactivate microbes in the stomach, and help protect against stomach cancer. In addition, a very important study published recently in America - the Iowa Women's Health Study, involving 41,387 women ages 55 to 69 - determined their intake of 127 foods, including 44 vegetables and fruits, and then monitored colon cancer incidence for five years.

This study found that garlic was the one food which showed a statistically significant association with decreased colon cancer risk. Just one or more servings of garlic per week lowered risk of colon cancer by 35 percent.

JN: Can garlic harm you in any way?

PJ: Taking too much garlic can hinder blood clotting, and it would be sensible for people already on blood-thinning drugs, or about to undergo surgery, to advise their medical team before starting therapy with any garlic supplement. Even so, in most cases adding garlic supplements or garlic to your diet should be safe.

JN: Can you summarize garlic's benefits?

PJ: I can't think of any other plant that has such an established and magnificent track record for performing good deeds.

For more information, visit the Garlic Information Centre - ``An international information service on the medicinal benefits of garlic'' - at http://www.garlic.mistral.co.uk/

______
* Reproduced with permission of the author, Jill Neimark. � Jill Neimark 2006. Jill is a widely published journalist specializing in healthcare and nutrition topics who has written extensively for ProHealth in the past.

Note: This information has not been evaluated

Wallace
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4771

As Gigi , Dr K have mentioned garlic is dose dependent. You need to take a lot of it to have an effect or a herx.

This is from www.garlicworld.co.uk

A Dozen Cloves of Garlic a Day Keeps the Doctor Away?
The classic fairy tale Goldilocks and the Three Bears showcases a bedrock principle of pharmacology. The beneficial effect of drugs often is dose-dependent. One dose is not enough. Another is too much. Yet another dose is just right. Shela Gorinstein and colleagues in Israel and Poland have discovered that the Goldilocks rule prevails for garlic. Past scientific studies suggest that garlic is good for the heart. Garlic lowers total cholesterol levels, for instance, and levels of LDL ("bad") cholesterol. It also makes the blood less likely to clot. In experiments with laboratory rats, Gorinstein and colleagues have shown that garlic's effects on total cholesterol are dose-dependent. Lab rats on a high-cholesterol diet got varying amounts of raw garlic each day -- ranging from 500 milligrams (mg) to 1,000 mg per kilogram of body weight. Their report is scheduled for publication in the June 14 issue of the Journal of Agricultural & Food Chemistry.
Only the 500 mg dosage lowered cholesterol and had a beneficial effect on blood clotting. Although the results cannot automatically be applied to humans, the dose was equivalent to about 1.25 ounces of raw garlic per day for a 150-pound person. That amounts to a mega dose of fresh garlic -- about a dozen cloves a day. Journal of Agricultural & Food Chemistry

Wallace
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4771

bump
Wallace
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4771

Just ordered this book to see if its any good.

Wallace

his month, we have a review on the brand new book, "The Garlic Cure", by James F. Scheer, Lynn Allison and Charlie Fox. An informative, easy-to-read book, "The Garlic Cure" is packed full of solutions for an extensive variety of health issues, including cancer, fatigue, and heart problems.

Last week, Bill Evans and I had the opportunity to have dinner with both James Scheer and Charlie Fox. Afterwards, when we dropped them at their hotel, Charlie challenged us to a race to the opposite side of the parking lot. We gullibly accepted, and promptly lost. I should admit that we were in a car while Charlie was on foot. I should also mention that Charlie is seventy-five years young. He is remarkably fast and a strong testimony to the healthy lifestyle he practices. Charlie attributes his amazing energy and health to his eating habits and, of course, his regular consumption of aged-garlic extract. Listed in "The Garlic Cure" is a long list of ailments that can be improved, or even cured, by a daily dose of garlic. It is great reading!

For your best health...

Tamara

Back to the top of the page
Book Review: THE GARLIC CURE
Authors: James F. Scheer, Lynn Allison and Charlie Fox
Review by Tamara Jankoski

It was almost 24 years ago when I first met Charlie Fox, at the place of business where my husband worked. The most unusual and humorous characteristic about him was that - even though none of us were in the nutrition business at the time - whenever Charlie was coming down with a cold, he would walk in the office reeking of garlic, chomping on cloves in hopes of rebuilding his immune system and avoiding the annoying ailment.

One day Charlie was offered a "perfect-fit" job. He was asked to be the sales manager for a new, little-known company called "Wakunaga of America", makers of Kyolic Odorless Garlic. At Last! Something that would protect all of Charlie's family, friends, and associates whenever he was feeling a bit under-the-weather. That was 22 years ago, and Charlie is still at Wakunaga, though it is no longer a little-known company. Kyolic garlic is now the most recognizable name in odorless garlic supplements.

Charlie Fox and another friend of mine, James Scheer - former editor of "Let's Live" health magazine have teamed up with Lynn Allison to write "The Garlic Cure", newly released and published by Alpha Omega Press, of Fargo, North Dakota. In the fresh, bubbly, sprinkled-with-humor writing style that I have come to recognize as James Scheer's writing, this book is an easy-read for anyone interested in discovering the healing properties of garlic.

"The Garlic Cure" reveals a multitude of benefits for an amazing variety of ailments. Backed with clinical trial references and dosage instructions, I was fascinated to read all that garlic can do.

As an example, "The Garlic Cure" contains an extensive discussion on cancer and heart disease. Also mentioned is what it does for the herpes simplex virus II and candida albican. Both natural garlic and aged, odorless garlic extract are shown by dozens of studies - many double-blind - to outwit allergies, arthritis, Alzheimer's, cancer, candida albicans, colds, flu and sore throat, toxins, fatigue, and cardiovascular complications. The list goes on.

Probably the biggest surprise to me was how garlic relieves fatigue. "The Garlic Cure" states that even "Egyptian laborers who constructed the Great Pyramid at Giza were issued a daily supply of garlic to renew their energy."

Equally impressive was how garlic is considered by the National Cancer Institute's Designer Foods Program to be the most promising food for the prevention of cancer and other devastating diseases.

Dr. John Pinto and Dr. Richard Rivlin, researchers at the prestigious Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, found that, "aged-garlic slowed the progression of prostate cancer by means of its unique sulfur compound called by the unspellable name S-allylmercaptocysteine - SAMC, for short." "The Garlic Cure" notes how prostate cancer is highly prevalent in countries where large amounts of animal fat are consumed. In Thailand, where little animal fat is consumed, prostate cancer is almost non-existent.

Another topic covered pollutants and toxic substances. Garlic can help protect us against the effects of insecticides, herbicides, and fungicides in our environment - including additives that are found in our processed foods. One statement in this section that I found particularly interesting was the comment on fluoride. The Garlic Cure states, "A former rat poison, called fluoride, widely used in drinking water, toothpaste and mouthwash to prevent tooth decay, fails in its main purpose (as shown by solid studies in respected publications); reduces our immune power; and makes us vulnerable to many serious diseases."

"The Garlic Cure" also discusses how heavy metals poison our bodies. One such heavy metal, aluminum (found in foods, beverages, medicines, cosmetics, antacids, antiperspirants, antidiarrhetics, and medications) is considered to be a prominent cause of Alzheimer's disease. How many other ways are we exposed to toxic metals, such as mercury, cadmium and lead? There is neither any way of knowing, nor any way to prevent it. However, by turning to foods and nutrients that detoxify, such as aged-garlic that binds heavy metals, we can limit the effects such pollutants have on our bodies.

Overall, however, what caught my attention the most was when I read that aged-garlic extract reduces homocysteine levels. Many health professionals now regard homocysteine levels as a far more serious threat to the heart and arteries than cholesterol.

Evidently, garlic is better than the proverbial "aspirin to the thin the blood" as a crucial factor in heart health. Aspirin prevents abnormal blood clotting, yet often causes the unpleasant side effect of bleeding in the stomach and elsewhere. Also, aspirin cannot cope with excessive blood fats, cholesterol, triglycerides and the ravages of homocysteine. Aged, odorless garlic can, as demonstrated by many cited studies.

Gary Gordon, MD, DO, cofounder of the American College for the Advancement in Medicine and president of Gordon Research in Payson, Arizona cites the overlooked importance of lowering homocysteine levels. In a five-year follow-up study of 14,916 doctors, there was a three-fold increase in heart attacks in those with the highest blood levels of homocysteine. Dr. Gordon states that soon it will be a common practice for doctors to pay more attention to their patients' homocysteine than to their cholesterol.

Susan Lark, MD, a prominent heart specialist, alerts us to the fact that "women with high levels of homocysteine have 24 times the risk of heart disease than those whose levels are low." Some 80 clinical studies reveal that homocysteine damages the lining of veins and arteries, stimulating the harmful growth of smooth muscle cells over injured areas. This limits or blocks critical blood flow.

Research by Dr.Y.Yeh, at Pennsylvania State University, reveals that when there is not enough folic acid in the diet - a widespread condition contributing to higher homocysteine levels - the most powerful biochemical is aged-garlic extract, which slashes blood homocysteine levels by 30 to 70 percent.

A nutrient that revs up the immune system for minimizing the risk of killer diseases, garlic also helps in fending off and treating minor but annoying ailments. With the common cold, most people - at the first sneeze - think of vitamin C, vitamin A and zinc. Not bad thinking, but it excludes another helpful nutrient: garlic. For a recurrent sore throat, natural health guru Andrew Weil, MD, recommends a modern version of grandma's cure: two diced cloves of garlic mixed with food.

A frightening problem that The Garlic Cure deals with is the increasing impotency of antibiotics against disease. Even powerful antibiotics cannot seem to control the resurgence of tuberculosis (TB), an old scourge that is once again being brought to the forefront. Farm animals are regularly dosed with antibiotics, not just for infections but as growth promoters, also. Patients quite readily pop antibiotic pills to prevent the most minor of infections. These are some of the reasons that people have developed a resistance to antibiotics faster than drug companies can develop new ones.

Highly contagious, TB can be spread by a cough in an airplane, or any other pubic area where stagnant air is present. These words are intended as a wake up call, not as a scare tactic. This book tells exactly how garlic, "Russian penicillin," was used early in the 20th century for the prevention or treatment of TB, and how it can be used effectively today.

Dr. James A. Duke, one of the world's foremost authorities on medicinal plants and herbs, writes: "The Chinese use garlic to treat TB with decent results. If I feared that I had been exposed to TB, I would take at least one garlic capsule a day, and I would make sure the label said that each capsule was standardized to the equivalent of at least one gram of fresh garlic."

The list goes on for ailments that can be cured, prevented, or at least improved by garlic and aged-garlic extract. "The Garlic Cure" also reports on preliminary studies that indicate aged garlic extract may prevent Alzheimer's disease. In-depth research also shows it to be effective in coping with stomach ulcers and even sickle cell anemia! Some of the most interesting sections of "The Garlic Cure" are chapters featuring testimonial letters from people with ailments that range the total medical alphabet.

Overall, I was highly impressed with the information found in this book, and surprised at the extensive ways that garlic and aged-garlic extract can help critical ailments - not just viruses and colds. I appreciate "The Garlic Cure" referring to the solid, double-blind studies that show this herb's effectiveness in disease prevention and treatment. In addition, the book offers 139 gourmet garlic recipes created by Lynn Allison.

Aged-garlic will now be an addition to my daily supplement regimen, not just when I am coming down with a cold. I believe anyone who is interested in better health will find the information in this book eye-opening and beneficial - truly worth the trip to the boo

HaplyCarlessdave
Member # 413

In responce to Wallace (I couldn't get pm reply function to work):

My approach on garlic was a bit variable. I ate/took alot of it! I just had a strong feeling it was good, from things I read, so it was definitely worth a try.

I would sometimes manage to eat 4 or more cloves. Needles to say, I ate it along with rice or other foods. I also took pills of garlic. (I got these on 'vitanet', or at the co-op ('solaray' brand). Thus, in response to "how much garlic to take?", my answer is, "as much as possible!, up to a point".

Good luck!
DaveS

Wallace
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4771

Thanks Dave.

In an earlier post Gigi makes the point that you need to take some toxin soaking product as well as garlic. I agree.

To people who say there are allergic to garlic etc I would say after every garlic meal take activated charcoal(see my other posts on charcoal). And www.charcoalremedies.com This also deals with the odour problem.

I have been a little inconsistent doing this and this I think is now why I had a cold etc.

I cant think of a safer abx than garlic, can you?

W

Wallace
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4771

quote:
Originally posted by GiGi:

Here is Gigi original post

W

"Garlic contains numerous sulphur components, including the most valuable sulph-hydryl groups, which oxidize mercury, cadmium and lead and make these metals water-soluble. This makes it easy for the organism to excrete these substances."

I wrote this in this thread above and because of garlic's effect and the fact that an heavy metals and tinnitus are quite closely tied - you may be shifting some heavy metals around causing the tinnitus. If you do garlic it has to be taken closely following a meal, and since it does move metals, you also need to pay attention to binding agents - which is probably the most important aspect of all detoxing - all refuse from dead bacteri, etc. and all other neurotoxins, xenobiotics and biotoxins, literally every toxin we now carry because of environmental conditions.

Read up on binding agents - if you don't take any, you are shifting many neurotoxins around in the system instead of getting them out of the body for good. Here are some:

nanonized chlorella (as in Biologo-Detox)
chlorella
zeolite
chitosan (watch out for allergic react. to shrimp)
pectin
potato with peel
guar gum
cholestyramine (I didn't care for it)
activated charcoal
lots of fruit and veggie fiber
get dried veggies and eat them all day long
(I buy them by 3 lbs bags - they are delicious)

Do a search here - there are many posts on garlic.

Take care.

Wallace
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4771

I have posted before about an excellent book called Mold the war within by kurt billings. Garlic was taken by the author and he recovered his health! He mentions there that oil increases the effectiveness of garlic.

Wallace

I found this article on the web.

How to Win the War
Secret Anti-biological Weapon Being Tested for Military, Civilian Applications

by Bill Sardi
by Bill Sardi

At a Mountain-states laboratory researchers are testing a type of stealth weapon against disease and infection that could virtually eradicate most concerns about modern biological weapons such as anthrax or ebola, overcome the growing problem of antibiotic germ resistance, as well as disintegrate cancer cells from within, eradicate plaque from arteries, and block every known bacterium, virus, amoeba or fungi, including the dreaded H5N1 influenza virus.

GC: C6H10OS2

It's not a vaccine. It's a stealth molecule known as GC. Chemically described as C6 H10 O S2, GC is an unstable, short-lived hydrophobic molecule that penetrates biological membranes with ease. It disappears from the circulation within a few minutes after injection, making it virtually nontoxic. The molecule is very small, molecular weight of 127.27, and can penetrate through cell walls and even barriers in the brain.

Scientists have known about GC for years. The problem has been how to get it to activate properly once introduced into the human gastric tract. Even measuring its presence in the human body has been a challenge. GC cannot be detected in the blood or urine. Researchers have to utilize a breath test to confirm its presence similar to how law enforcement officers utilize a breath test to measure alcohol in the blood circulation. After oral consumption, levels of GC can be indirectly detected in breath as elevated levels of acetone.

Stealth molecule

GC is a transient molecule. Once formed, it breaks down into other forms fairly rapidly. GC must to be introduced as two smaller molecules that mix to become one new stealth molecule. Even then, once formed, GC is unstable. Pure GC at room temperature has a half-life of 2-16 hours. These problems preclude its use as a medicine.

When GC is introduced into the gastric tract, stomach acid destroys an activating enzyme before GC can be converted into its biologically active form. To date, coating oral GC pills so they won't open up till they reach the more alkaline upper intestines has been the only answer to this problem. However, most of the time, the coated capsules travel all the way through the digestive tract before they open up, often rendering them useless or unreliable. But there is a way to activate GC to unleash its powerful disease-fighting activity.

Military advantage

Researchers fully understand the importance of GC. A military force that has GC will have a significant advantage. GC will make it possible for any standing army to maintain more troops in the field. Far more troops have to be removed from field operations due to disease (diarrhea, infection, hepatitis, food poisoning, gonorrhea) than from war-related wounds or accidents. Ask troops who served in the middle east who came back home with Gulf War Syndrome. A mycobacterium is believed to have caused as many as 400,000 cases of Gulf War Syndrome.

Because of the problem of antibiotic resistance, military doctors cannot prescribe antibiotic drugs as prophylaxis. The overuse of antibiotics will lead to more antibiotic resistant microorganisms. For example, doctors are hesitant to treat a bacterium like H. pylori, which causes ulcers and stomach cancer, even though it infects nearly half the US population, because antibiotic treatment may induce drug-resistant strains. So doctors wait for ulcers to occur before prescribing triple-antibiotic therapy. On the other hand, GC does not cause germ resistance. Theoretically, prophylactic use of GC would eradicate most stomach ulcers and stomach cancer.

GC, carried in the field by every soldier, can prevent or immediately treat anthrax, Ebola, dysentery, pathogens like Salmonella, Staphylococcus, Klebsiella, the waterborne germs Cryptosporidium and Giardia, and viruses such as H5N1 bird flu, SARS and Herpes. Every field soldier serving in a foreign land should consume GC daily, as prophylaxis against potential biological threats.

While pharmaceutical manufacturers furiously work to develop a vaccine against bird flu, influenza viruses mutate so fast as to render all vaccines as ineffective. GC is active against every known virus.

More than military application

Researchers have found GC also has many civilian applications. It has been observed to penetrate inside cancer cells, which results in their death, without toxicity to healthy cells. How it knows to do this still baffles biologists.

Researchers have noted that GC does not lower circulating levels of cholesterol, but it does inhibit the formation of plaque in artery walls. Unlike statin drugs, GC is not toxic to the liver; in fact, it protects the liver.

When scientists gave GC to rodents along with a high-fructose sugar diet, it controlled insulin levels. But laboratory investigators were stunned to find the sugar-fed animals given GC did not gain weight, while the animals fed fructose sugar only, were obese. GC may be a revolutionary weight control molecule.

What is GC?

Just exactly what is GC? It goes by various chemical names: 2-propene1-1sulfinothioic acid S-2-propenyl ester, 2-propenyl 2-propenethiosulfinate, Allyl 2-propenethiosulfinate, Diallyl thiosulfinate. Actually, you may be surprised to learn that GC stands for "garlic clove," or the active molecule produced by a fresh crushed garlic clove, commonly described as allicin.

For unexplained reasons, allicin has been overlooked by modern medicine. In 1858 Louis Pasteur noted garlic's ability to kill germs in a lab dish, but 62 years later medical history texts gave credit for the discovery of the first antibiotic, penicillin, to Alexander Fleming in 1922. Actually, French medical student Ernest Duchesne first observed that penicillin mold killed germs in 1896. Regardless, garlic's microbiological discovery as an antibiotic preceded penicillin by decades.

SUPERIORITY OF GARLIC (ALLICIN)

Antibiotic effectiveness is measured by the area of germs inhibited in a lab dish

Today thousands of people needlessly die of infections caused by antibiotic-resistant bacteria. These are mostly hospitalized patients who are subjected to multiple antibiotics. Some hospital-acquired staph infections are resistant to all antibiotics. Germ resistance to allicin/garlic has never been observed.

Roman legions used GC

The idea of using allicin to protect soldiers or civilians from biological threats is not new. Roman legions carried garlic cloves with them, and quickly planted more garlic in lands they conquered. Dioscorides, the chief medical officer in the Roman army during the 1st century AD, treated infected soldiers with garlic. Knowing of its prophylactic properties, Roman legions ate garlic prior to combat. But why aren't modern armies following the way of the Romans? The answer is simple, troops would have to carry garlic cloves with them and endure the pungency of garlic in their stomach and odor on their breath. Seems like a small price to pay for a life-saving technology. The Roman army knew better.

Conventional garlic pills simply don't contain, nor do they reliably produce, allicin. This is confusing to consumers who see the word allicin on most labels for garlic pills. But the label refers to garlic powder tested in water, not stomach acid. Stomach acid destroys the enzyme (alliinase) in garlic pills before it can mix with alliin to produce allicin. A garlic clove has to be crushed, or preferably mixed in a food blender, to create allicin prior to oral consumption. A fresh crushed garlic clove can produce ~3000-4000 micrograms of allicin, and up to three times more if placed in a food blender.

Despite overwhelming evidence of garlic's health benefits, government regulations forbid health claims even for garlic cloves. The world's most potent weapon against human biological threats is underused even though it is widely available, is economical, and non-toxic. Modern medicine's over-reliance upon man-made drugs is resulting in the needless early demise of millions. Think of tuberculosis, a bacterial lung infection that now affects two billion humans on the planet. Health authorities know that many TB patients can't afford antibiotics and won't take them for a long enough period of time to eradicate the infection. How about a garlic clove? It's the world's major antidote against illness.

Selected references:

Ankri S, Mirelman D. Antimicrobial properties of allicin from garlic. Microbes Infection 1999; 1: 125.

Lawson LD, Gardner CD. Composition, stability, and bioavailability of garlic products used in a clinical trial. J Agriculture Food CHem 2005: 53, 6254.

Gonen A, Harats D, Rabinsky A, et al., The antiatherogenic effect of allicin: possible mode of action. Pathobiology 2005; 72: 325.

Weber ND, Andersen DO, North JA, In vitro virucidal effects of Allium sativum (garlic) extract and compounds. Planta Medica 1992: 58, 417.

Ruddock PS, Liao M, Foster BC, Garlic natural health products exhibit variable constituent levels and antimicrobial activity against Neisseria gonorrhoeae, Staphylococcus aureus and Enterococcus faecalis. Phytotherapy Research 2005; 19, 327.

No authors listed, Garlic for cryptosporidiosis? Treatment Reviews 1996; No. 22, 11.

Canizares P, Gracia I, Gomez LA, et al., Allyl-thiosulfinates, the bacteriostatic compounds of garlic against Helicobacter pylori. Biotechnol Progress 2004; 20, 397.

Oommen S, Anto RJ, Srinivas G, Karunagaran D. Allicin (from garlic) induces caspase-mediated apoptosis in cancer cells. European J Pharmacology 2004: 485, 97.

Elkayam A, Mirelman D, Peleg E, et al., The effects of allicin on weight in fructose-induced hyperinsulinemic, hyperlipidemic, hypertensive rats. Am J Hypertension 2003; 1053, 2003.

Hirsch K, Danilenko M, Giat J, et al., Effect of purified allicin, the major ingredient of freshly crushed garlic, on cancer cell proliferation. Nutrition Cancer 2000; 38, 245.

Lawson LD, Wang ZJ, Low allicin release from garlic supplements: a major problem due to the sensitivities of alliinase activity. J Agriculture Food Chem 2001; 49, 2592.

Lawson LD, Wang ZJ, Papadimitriou D, Allicin release under simulated gastrointestinal conditions from garlic powder tablets employed in clinical trials on serum cholesterol. Planta Medica 2001; 67: 13.

Lawson LD, Wang ZJ, Allicin and allicin-derived garlic compounds increase breath acetone through allyl methyl sulfide: use in measuring allicin bioavailability. J Agriculture Food Chem 2005; 53, 1974.

Abbruzzese MR, Delaha EC, Garagusi VF. Absence of antimycobacterial synergism between garlic extract and antituberculosis drugs. Diagnostic Microbiology Infectious Disease 1987; 8: 79.

April 10, 2006

Bill Sardi [send him mail] is a consumer advocate and health journalist, writing from San Dimas, California. He offers a free downloadable book, The Collapse of Conventional Medicine, at his website.

Copyright � 2006 Bill Sardi Word of Knowledge Agency, San Dimas, California. Not intended for commercial use or posting on other websites. Permission to reprint should be obtained from the author.

Wallace
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4771

To the above post I would add that it is that it is dose dependent so you need to take enough of it for it to work! One clove wont be enough!

W

Wallace
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4771

Wise words from Dr Richard Schulthse!

WIf you do ONLY 1 Program or use ONLY 1 Herb, it should be Garlic. In the MANY Years at the Clinic, I have seen it HEAL MANY, HURT NO ONE, and create MIRACLES!
Garlic is one of the MOST POTENT and RELIABLE Herbal Healers known. It is a POWERFUL Broad-Spectrum Antibiotic. It is also Anti-Viral, Anti-Fungal, Anti-Parasitical and has PROVEN itself to RID the Body internally and externally of any Antigen or Pathogen.
Garlic has been PROVEN in Hospitals and Laboratories worldwide to DESTROY CANCER and break up Tumors, THIN the Blood and NORMALIZE Blood Pressure and Cholesterol Levels. Hundreds of my Female Patients used Vaginal Garlic Implants to do EVERYTHING from HEAL Infections to ELIMINATE CANCER!
Garlic externally is an Herbal Surgeon. It's 700+ various Sulfur Compounds will DESTROY INFECTION and, if used FULL strength, will BURN off ANYTHING in it's way! Garlic nutritionally is a GREAT Strength-Builder and has been REVERED throughout History in numerous Cultures as a Food to INCREASE Health and Energy.
It can be eaten RAW, swallowed WHOLE, chopped up and mixed with Food and put through your Juicer. Just get it in!
The BEST Garlic is the HOTTEST, and, of course, ORGANIC! If NONE is available, which is RARE, then use your HOTTEST Onions, which is Garlic's next of kin. Consume at least 3 cloves of FRESH RAW Garlic EVERY Day.

Keebler
Member # 12673

-

Some great information here about garlic.

Quote: " . . . The BEST Garlic is the HOTTEST . . . ."

That may be and, of course, going organic is great advice.

However, for those with sensitive stomachs, be very careful. Start slowly and with food, maybe just a quarter clove to begin.

There are some good quality enteric-coated capsules of concentrated allicin or freeze-dried garlic that will not cause some of the burning that raw garlic can.

Some people can eat lots of raw garlic, but not everyone. Serious burning of the lining of the stomach can occur - so just be careful and, again, start slowly and with food.

Garlic/ allicin is also very stimulating in nature. So, plan around that if you want a good night's sleep.

Garlic / allicin is one of the very best things on the earth to help us out. Finding the way for it to work best for each person may take a little time bit it can be well worth the effort.

-

Wallace
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4771

Hopefully others will help this thread going like Kepler!

W
It will give you courage!

W

Garlic: Superstitions, Folklore and Fact

GARLIC SUPERSTITIONS & FOLKLORE

* According to Pliny, garlic and onions were invoked as deities by the Egyptians at the taking of oaths. The inhabitants of Pelusium in lower Egypt, who worshipped the onion, are said to have held both it and garlic in aversion as food.

* Egyptian slaves were given a daily ration of garlic, as it was believed

Wallace
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4771

From the web as the last one disapeared.

W
Not only was it used in World War 1, it is supposed to be the 2nd oldest
medicine. Check out the following referenced articles.

Mars owns this herb. This was anciently accounted the poor man's treacle, it being a remedy for all diseases and hurts (except those which itself breed)...Its heat is very vehement...; therefore let it be taken inwardly with great moderation; outwardly you may make more bold with it."

Culpeper Garlic is generally considered to be the world's second oldest medicine (after ephedra). Evidence of garlic has been found in caves estimated to have been inhabited more than 10,000 years ago, and prescriptions of the plant were found chiseled into a clay Sumerian tablet that was more than 3,000 years old. The entire ancient world loved garlic - particularly the Egyptians, who used to swear on garlic in much the same way as we swear on the Bible today. Egyptian slaves were given a daily ration of garlic, as it was generally believed to ward off illness and to increase strength and endurance. During the reign of King Tut, fifteen pounds of garlic would buy a healthy male slave. Indeed, when King Tuts tomb was excavated, there were bulbs of garlic found scattered throughout the rooms. Garlic was a prominent inclusion in the world's oldest surviving medical text(1), and when Moses led the Hebrew slaves out of Egypt (around 1,200BC), they complained of missing the finer things in life - fish, cucumbers, melons, leeks, onions, and garlic. The Greeks had ideas of their own on the virtues of garlic(2). Greek athletes would take copious amounts of garlic before competition, and Greek soldiers would consume garlic before going into battle. It became custom for Greek midwives to hang garlic cloves in birthing rooms to keep the evil spirits away. As the centuries passed, this ancient custom became commonplace in most European homes. Hippocrates (300BC) recommended garlic for infections, wounds, cancer, leprosy, and digestive disorders. Dioscorides praised it for its use in treating heart problems, and Pliny listed the plant in 61 remedies for a wide variety of ailments ranging from the common cold to leprosy, epilepsy and tapeworm.

During World War 1, the Russian army used garlic to treat wounds incurred by soldiers on the Front Line. Although Alexander Flemming's discovery of penicillin in 1928 largely replaced garlic at home, the war effort overwhelmed the capacity of most antibiotics, and garlic was again the antibiotic of choice. The Red Army physicians relied so heavily on garlic that it became known as the "Russian Penicillin". Contemporary herbalists recommend garlic for a wide variety of pathological conditions including elevated cholesterol, colds, flu, coughs, bronchitis, fever, ringworm and intestinal worms, and liver, gallbladder, and digestive problems. References
1. The Ebers Papyrus
2. In Homer's Odyssey, Ulysses ate garlic and found it gave him strength against the sorceress, Circe.
The Politics of Plants Ancient Garlic Did You Know? Quotable Quotes Romance and Folklore Horse Racing Legacy GarlicCulpeper* www.nutraceuticalalliance.com/folklore_garlic.htm

Garlic
Allium sativum
Adrienne Drapkin, Director
Peer Review Status: Not peer reviewed

Name, Habitat and Appearance Garlic is a member of the Liliaceae family, which also includes the onion. The plants in this family are noted for their penetrating, pungent odor. Common varieties of Garlic are: Crow Garlic, Ramson's, Field Garlic and the best known, Common Garlic. The name is Anglo-Saxon. It describes the long, narrow spear-like shape of the leaves. Gar (a spear) and lac (a plant). The bulb consists of several smaller sections known as cloves. These are used for medicinal and dietary purposes.

In a treatise entitled The Origin of Cultivated Plants, Swiss botanist de Candolle suggested that garlic was native to Southwest Siberia, gradually spreading southward. Many believe it originated in Central Asia and spread rapidly, even to the Americas, in ancient times.

Gathering and Preparation Garlic is cultivated in narrow rows. It is usually planted in very early spring and harvested in August and September. The pungent odor perfumes the air for miles around when large fields are harvested.

Legends and Folklore
Few plants have more legends than Garlic. A Mohammedan legend related that "when Satan stepped out from the Garden of Eden after the fall of man, Garlick sprang up from the spot where he placed his left foot, and Onion from that where his right foot touched." In Europe, it was believed to be protection against the "evil eye" and to make witches and vampires disappear at its very sight. Racers who chewed a bit of garlic thought they could not be beaten. Hungarian jockeys attached a piece of garlic to their horse's bits to prevent the competition from winning. In Bram Stoker's Dracula, a doctor strewed the room with garlic and hung a necklace of garlic around a woman's throat in the belief that garlic would repel vampires. During the Dark Ages, people believed it could ward off the plague and wore garlands of it as protection. In fact, as recently as 1917 and 1918, Americans wore garlic garlands in public during influenza epidemics.

History
The Egyptians worshipped it. It was fed to the laborers who built the Great Pyramid of Giza about 3000 B.C.E. An inscription on the pyramid states the exact cost of the garlic, radishes and onions consumed during its construction. The Greeks detested it. The Romans ate it with delight. It was included in the rations of Roman soldiers to make them strong and heroic. Galen (2nd century C.E.) used it as an antidote to poisons. Pliny the Elder said it was good for toothache, ulcer and asthma-not to mention stimulating to sexual and gustatory appetites. Mohammed, prophet of Islam, extolled its use for scorpion and snake bites. In Shakespeare's time, the smell of garlic was considered vulgar. It has been used as a diaphoretic, diuretic, expectorant and stimulant. Alexander Neckham, a 12th century writer, claimed it relieved heat exhaustion in field laborers. It was also thought to prevent anthrax in cattle. Garlic has been used to fight leprosy, smallpox and the plague. During World War I, garlic was in much demand as a natural antiseptic; garlic juice was diluted with water and applied to wounds. Syrup of garlic is believed to combat asthma, hoarseness, coughs, difficulty of breathing and other disorders of the lungs. Eleanor Roosevelt was said to take 3 chocolate-covered garlic pills each morning on the advice of her doctor in order to improve her memory. Today, Gilroy, California calls itself "Garlic Capital of the United States." The French Garlic Capital is in Arleaux, north of Paris, in the fields where World War I took place. There they produce over 200 million pounds of garlic a year. Modern medicine recognizes its antibacterial qualities due to its many organic sulfur compounds. Many doctors believe in its ability to break down fibrin, possibly reducing the effects of heart and blood diseases. Garlic has also been used in cooking throughout the world, its distinctive flavor enhancing many foods.

Historical Uses � To treat wounds, infections and tumors � Intestinal parasites � To lower cholesterol and blood pressure � To stimulate the immune system � To increase T-helper cell activity � Upper respiratory viral infections � To clear mucous from the lungs � Antioxidant

Modern Medicinal Uses The Egyptians used garlic to treat wounds, infections, tumors and intestinal parasites. Modern scientific research confirms some of these ancient uses for garlic. Garlic's sulfur-containing compounds, which lend the herb its pungent aroma, are responsible for many of its healing properties. Specifically, the compound Allicin inhibits synthesis of fats. Allicin has antimicrobial, antiyeast and antifungal properties; it inhibits the growth of parasites in the intestines, including amoebas which cause dysentery. The compound Allicin can be transformed into Ajoene, which has anticlotting properties. Garlic's sulfur compounds, in addition to selenium-containing compounds, are also potent antioxidants http://www.uihealthcare.com/PatientsVisitors/MedMuseum/NaturesPharm acy/GarlicPlant/Garlic.html

June Wingert Associate Scientist Lexicon Genetics Texas

Wallace
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4771

Getting through 12 cloves a day I am finding tough but possible.

I am getting quite a lot of stomach gases to contend with.

I have been using clay/charcoal but it only helps slightely. I am now trying hydrotherapy.

We are talking a long term treatment to toughen up the immune system to make us more like roman soldiers!

Wallace

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement