LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » can you tolerate high temps outdoors?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: can you tolerate high temps outdoors?
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
we just got back from camping. man, it was hot --96 and 97 most days.

i stood at the dock and just fished for about an hour. then i got sick. i was sweating like crazy, dizzy, and my face was dark red.

i was drinking water but oh, did i feel bad. so back to the camper and a/c.

is hot temps outdoors, like in texas, bad for lymies?

does it kill anything or just me???

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was wondering this as well!

We were under a heat advisory today.

I wasn't even outside very long today, but while I was for the short time and then right after I came inside from outside, I was very dizzy and lightheaded, had some hot flashes, and felt like I was going to faint a few times. NOT a good feeling at all. So most of today ended up badly for me.

Not happy because tomorrow we're in another heat advisory. [shake]

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last year I could not. I would be sick the rest of the day if I took the kids to the pool even for just 30 min.

This year, I am having no trouble with it at all. A year of treatment has made the difference.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
teresambear
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15061

Icon 1 posted      Profile for teresambear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me too !!!!!! very dizzy !!!!!!
Posts: 115 | From warwick, new york | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SmurfyMom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13688

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmurfyMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last Thursday, my daughter had a party at the park from 2-4pm. I know... not the smartest time for Texas.

There was virtually no shade. It was HOT. The cupcakes melted.

That night I was typing nonsense. I could not get anything out right.

Friday I was stuck in bed I was in so much pain and was so weak and stiff. In the a.m. I couldn't even roll over without help.

I didn't get back to my usual blechy self till Monday.

I'd say there is definitely something up with the sun/heat. I am NOT trying ANYTHING out in the sun again.

I wondered at the time if it was maybe a mini-herx like thing, considering the buggers don't like heat.

Posts: 155 | From Texas | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AZURE WISH
Member # 804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZURE WISH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went out to get the mail today...tht was enuff of the heat for me. It made me lightheaded that fast...but it was mid 90's here today.

--------------------
multiple chemical sensitvity group:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/multiplechemicalsensitivities

Group for artists. All media welcome:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/creativecorner

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Lyme_Artist

Posts: 3860 | From nj,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Feather Herrari
Member # 15777

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Feather Herrari     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was told by numerous Lymies that the heat is the best thing to bring the buggies out. I believe that the spirochetes do not tolerate heat and when they encounter heat you tend to have a Herx which is a good thing, the more the Herx's the more the buggies are freaking out. I was also told that if you want to bring the buggies to surface that the a sauna and hot tub are the best thing. Just what I heard, not proven.
Posts: 1 | From Westchester | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well we bake here daily (mid 90's with 80% plus humidity) [Eek!] .

I've done a lot of work outside in the last 3 weeks.

Gardening, moving dirt, flower garden in front of the new house, etc.

By evening, I feel sick. Nauseated, dizzy, heart pounding and hot (even though body temp is below 97.4).

I drink constantly outside.

I sweat tons too.

I don't know about why I feel so bad, but with 2 children who live outside....

Well, I just sweat and barely bear it. [shake]

I know the heat really aggravates my POTs issues.

Here's to nice, crisp fall days. [Smile]

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
charlie
Member # 25

Icon 6 posted      Profile for charlie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
....Just the opposite here...i can't stand even the slightest chill and I thrive on heat and humidity.

Temps below 70 degrees send me inside cranking the furnace up.

I grew up as a beach bum and I like the tropical feeling air.

Charlie

Posts: 2804 | From Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i am currently heat intolerant due to dysautonomia. some of my symptoms have improved, but not that one, yet.

several of you mentioned things that tie in with dysautonomia, POTS being the most obvious. feeling nauseous, dizzy, like you will faint, all fall under that heading.

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UnexpectedIlls
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15144

Icon 1 posted      Profile for UnexpectedIlls     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the same problem... The sun/heat flare my symptoms very badly, I even get low grade fevers. [dizzy]

--------------------
"You'll be surprised to know how far you can go from the point you thought it was the end"

Posts: 946 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what's dysautonia? sorry for spelling...

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
njlymemom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15088

Icon 1 posted      Profile for njlymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was told the same thing that Feather

mentioned. The spirochete does not like heat.

It can cause a major kill off, which sounds

like a good idea, unless you are chronicly

ill and can't handle that kind of heat.

Stepped outside today (over 100 registered

in the sun) briefly....and went numb up to

my hips. We went for a walk tonight, it was

still 73 degrees and humid. Again i wnet numb,

lost my vision, pain in joints , dizzy.

If this is what kill off feels like, I just

can't handle it.

--------------------
This is NOT medical advice - and should NOT be used to replace your MD's advice. Info is only the opinion of those who publish the site.

The shortest way to do many things is to do only one thing at a time.

cb

Posts: 669 | From somewherebetweentherocks | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sick or not.. the heat you all are getting up north is bad. I was told there was a heat advisory today.

The high humidity is wicked.

But personally.. I'm with Charlie. Give me the heat! I like it hot!

It was 97 today and I was out in it all day... took a long walk... hung out at the beach.... and loving it.

If it isn't 80 degrees.. I am very uncomfortable.

Get down to 70 degrees and I am cold!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cantgiveupyet
Member # 8165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cantgiveupyet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can take the heat just not the humidity.

Im up here in the attic. The AC unit was put in late tonite and its still about 88-90 up here.

I figure a cheap way to detox...possibly

--------------------
"Say it straight simple and with a smile."

"Thus the task is, not so much to see what no one has seen yet,
But to think what nobody has thought yet, About what everybody sees."

-Schopenhauer

pos babs, bart, igenex WB igm/igg

Posts: 3156 | From Lyme limbo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 13 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i do not do well in HEAT/HUMIDITY like today! i was gone all afternoon or i would have had central ac on!!

also, any of you on DOXYCYCLONE will also be MUCH WORSE AND SUNBURN!! so cover up every piece of skin!

if driving; LONG SLEEVES; LONG PANTS, AND DRIVING GLOVES. [Wink]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rianna
Member # 11038

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rianna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm totally heat intollerant my LLMD told me it is a combination of POTS, Adrenal problems and also Lyme itself hate the heat so it livens them up.

Rianna

Posts: 1172 | From UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curiouser
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curiouser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I spent all of 10 minutes outside yesterday.

The heat felt really good, but it sucked the life right out of me. Had to go back inside and take another nap.

And yeah, the humidity's awful. It's like trying to breathe soup out there.

It's supposed to be 98* here tomorrow. EEK! [Eek!]

--------------------
If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there. - Lewis Carroll

Posts: 356 | From Body-PA, Mind-elsewhere | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
laurie sm
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for laurie sm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have found that I am always cold. I didn't know how I was going to react to the heat yesterday.

I loved it. I sat outside in the shade and sweat as if I was in a sauna and drank alot of water.
I actually planted some flowers.

Last Sun. I was in bed all day.

I had a "better" day. By evening my body had

enough and symptoms came back.

Update-I am waiting to get my first Picc line for IV Rocephin hopefully next week.

I am not on any abx. right now and doc says that since my body is not FIghTING right now I don't feel totally crappy ALL the time-just most of the time!

Apprehensive about my next step but hoping and praying it will make me feel somewhat better..

Stay cool
Laurie

Posts: 256 | From long island, new york | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jklynd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7550

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jklynd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm in Northern NJ,where it's expected to be like this for at least a few more days.This is more like August weather, unheard of pre-Father's Day. It's like taking a bath..(With your clothes on)
Posts: 249 | From Northern NJ | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AlphaRn3
Member # 13677

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AlphaRn3   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi
When Im in florida, the heat usually makes me feel quite sick after going out for some minutes.
But I noticed that the overall symptoms become less when Im
in a more hot environment, while when staying in a cold
country for some weeks symptoms slowly become worse.

So I try to get as much heat as I can tolerate .. maybe it really helps a little.

I also heat the spa to 104F and try to get in there after having the last IV for the week, as I read somewhere that the heat
makes the bacteria much more sensitive to abx even when
not directly killing them.

Arne

Posts: 6 | From Florida, US / Saxony, Germany | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Heat and humidity can be very hard on the hearts and brains of some people.

Very very careful not to overtax and try to keep a cool, wet towel around the back and side of neck. A wet wash cloth under a hat is good, too.

Salt, electrolytes, etc. help. ICE cold water actually can cause the body to work harder and be a shock. Jumping into cold water, too, should be avoided. Gradual changes are safest.

Sugary drinks, too, speed up the body, making one hotter.

Soft ice packs are great. They don't get shocking cold. Putting damp kitchen towels - or tee shirts - in the freezer.

Ice chips in the mouth

-

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymeMECFSMCS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeMECFSMCS   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dr. Paul Cheney says that with CFIDS, patients become heat-intolerant in the earlier stages of illness and then become more and more cold-intolerant. I wonder if it's similar with Lyme?

Me, I LOVE heat now. I can't get enough of it, but I'm always cold and in the winter I get so much sicker. For me the ideal temp would be about 85 all the time.

Posts: 929 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mojo
Member # 9309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never tolerated heat well. I like to be just a little bit chilly.

My favorite temp is about 75. I don't like it too cold, either, but I love sweatshirt weather.

This hot humid stuff we are getting is not making me happy. I've been in the air conditioning all day. We had a big storm and now its only about 75 degrees but still very muggy.

Posts: 1761 | From USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by randibear:

is hot temps outdoors, like in texas, bad for lymies?

Why do you think I'm still hanging out in Missouri!? It's not nearly as hot here and is only hot for a few months....as opposed to about 6 months in TX!

I can't stand the heat!!! We're headed to TX soon for family time. OH joy, facing the heat!!

I love 75 degrees the best!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curiouser
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curiouser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with LymeToo and Mojo - 75 is my Goldilocks temp - not too hot, not too cold, Juuuuust right. [Big Grin]

I just noticed one really bizarre thing. Ever since this heatwave hit, I've been able to sleep at night!

Most nights, I'll get 4-5 hours of sleep with at least one or two awakenings during that time.

The past two nights, I've been getting 7 hours of zzzzzz time in, with no mid-sleep awakenings.

Yeah, I'm still having the usual vivid bizarre dreams, but I'm sleeping!

It's wonderful!

--------------------
If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there. - Lewis Carroll

Posts: 356 | From Body-PA, Mind-elsewhere | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dysautonomia is the disruption of the autonomic nervous system. The autonomic nervous system is the part of our nervous system that is not under our conscious control like blood pressure, heart rate, breathing, sweating, salivation, etc..

One reason that people can get dizzy and have problems in the heat is because the heat dumps our blood pressure causing it to become low. Many of us already have low blood pressure or orthostatic hypotension due to our infections.

Heat dialates blood vessels and can cause blood to pool in the extremeties (anyone notice bluish or spotty looking extremeties?) which can cause POTS type symptoms like a high pulse along with the low blood pressure. This is because some of the blood is now in our legs rather than being pumped around our body. Our heart is trying very hard to get the blood to circulate and it speeds up in order to help.

There can be other reasons too. Some of us cannot sweat which makes controlling body temperature (another autonomic nervous system function) problematic. Inability to sweat can be caused by neuropathy which can be caused by lyme or co-infections or blood sugar problems or thyroid problems or autoimmune problems and the list goes on.

If you sweat too much you can become dehydrated and your blood pressure will drop and your body will have problems controlling your body temperature etc..

Lyme and co-infections mess with the autonomic nervous system. We need the autonomic nervous system to work properly in order to control body temp, blood pressure and to handle stress including the stress of being out in the heat.

Terry
I'm not a doctor

[ 09. June 2008, 01:59 PM: Message edited by: TerryK ]

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
janis1023
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15942

Icon 1 posted      Profile for janis1023     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lymednva, Did a doctor tell you you had dysautonomia? I don't think any doctor I have seen could spell it, much less diagnose it. I absolutely cannot stand heat. I sweat profusely and am totally zapped of energy (like that is new).

Jan

--------------------
3 Strains Mycoplasma and Chlymedia 2001.
After treatment fine for all 2004.
Major symptoms since 2005.
Diag Aug 2008 Lyme.
400 mg/d doxy
500 2/d Ceftin

Posts: 164 | From Texas | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been diagnosed with dysautonomia, but I am okay with heat. Though, it is a very common symptom of dysautonomia.

I have the blue-ish hands and feet, high pulse, low blood pressure (lower upon standing), etc. Does anyone else here just RANDOMLY get a hot neck or face though? (but not correlating to hot temps in the air at all). It is weird. Oh, also, sometimes, I try to tell my brain to swallow, but my throat and mouth won't do it. It is scary, and I think it is dysautonomia. Anyone?

I started taking the beta-blocker Pindolol for the dysautonomia though and I feel like it helped.

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Marschner
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13073

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James Marschner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem w/ dysautonomia is that it is NOT a diagnosis. I hate when Dr's do that.

They simply describe the symptom(s) you're having and put a suffix or prefix on the term. In this case the prefix "dys-" which means abnormally regulated function either up or down regulated, and autonomia refers to the autonomic branch of the CNS that is affected.

Dysautonomia can be caused by lots of things including lyme.

Posts: 269 | From Valencia, CA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ldsucs
Member # 16142

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ldsucs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's 110 degrees today in Dallas area....

HOT AS HE**

Lyme or no lymes that is hot enough to hurt
anyone!!!!

Posts: 28 | From tx | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BugBit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7829

Icon 6 posted      Profile for BugBit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This AZ Lymie is TOTALLY HEAT INTOLERANT.
Always sweated - all my life I wrecked clothes.
I have also probably had Bb all my life, too.

However, I love my Ozone Jacuzzi-type spa and in fact, I remember learning somewhere that spas, sauna and these types of sweat-machines actually raise the core body temp and kills bugs by making antibiotics 17 times more effective. I think it was a PubMed that I read that statistic... anyway, I feel better when I can spa regularly and I don't suffer so much during the hot season here in the desert.

I also suspect that Bb and friends in a way, take over our brain regulators and make us miserable when we get hot because it does kill them.
Same with those of us that put on weight... Klinghardt said in 2006 that Bb LOVES carbs and they always get fed first. He also said that a protein diet would kill a Lymie and feed a Molder, where a high-carb diet is necessary for a Lymie and would kill a molder. I don't know - so what do we crave, and in fact need because they are being taken? Carbs. What puts on weight faster than protein? Carbs. It is an out-of-balance experience, this Lyme Disease.

Then some get skinny when they get Bb. Go figure.
*BugBit*

Posts: 116 | From Bisbee, AZ USA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nwisser
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15682

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nwisser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm another who suffers in the heat--severe brain fog to the point where it becomes difficult to walk or create a coherent sentence. Is this because it's killing the Bbugs?

Reading your posts made me wonder: is this is why native Americans did sweat lodges--to kill off the germs or keep them at bay?

--------------------
Just because it' s not nice doesn' t mean it' s not miraculous.
--Terry Pratchett

Posts: 121 | From Nazareth, PA | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement