LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » You were all right!! LP sucked! Never Again!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: You were all right!! LP sucked! Never Again!
Kevin Hamblin
Member # 12019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin Hamblin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am just now able to sit up (10 days after procedure). Worst headache ever. I want to kick all of my Docs square in the nuts (only, some are female).

They said this website was full of crap and not to listen to your horror stories.

I certainly trust this site more now than ANY Doctor!!

Thanks for trying to stop me - those who did,
Kevin

Posts: 22 | From Texas | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin Hamblin:

Me too!! Thanks for the vote of confidence!

Did you post this in medical too?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmc
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh poor you. Lesson lrarned, i too will NEVER allow a LP. Maybe if I'm in a coma...naw, not even then.
Posts: 2675 | From ct, usa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sorry sweetie, but what did you have? i honestly can;t remember. lyme brain ya know.

whatever, please listen to this board. they know more than any llmd, well, except a few.

no matter what i ask, somebody has already had it and been there before...

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am sorry and they do SUCK BAD. Never again!!
Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Randi...lumbar puncture...spinal tap. UGH!!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pab
Member # 904

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin Hamblin:
I am just now able to sit up (10 days after procedure). Worst headache ever. I want to kick all of my Docs square in the nuts (only, some are female).

They said this website was full of crap and not to listen to your horror stories.

Thanks for trying to stop me - those who did,
Kevin

Was the opening pressure high?

My kids have pseudo-tumor cerebri and LPs are the only thing that helps them.

--------------------
Peggy

~ ~ Hope is a powerful medicine. ~ ~

Posts: 2775 | From MN | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[group hug] [kiss] [group hug] kevin,

sorry to read this! yes, this board is lyme savvy; so listen to them and take the printed copies of EVIDENCE BASED stuff mds want in order to believe you are creditble! [Big Grin]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elle108
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11730

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elle108     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Well, that statement right there ought to let you know where those docs were coming from. Sorry you had such a horrendous experience with the LP.

Elle

Posts: 217 | From New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelmo
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter had a spinal tap before she was diagnosed with bart/babs. It was, of course, normal.

The next day her head hurt so bad I had to taker her back to the ER. They gave her demoral. She said that was the closest to heaven she has ever been.

Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jazzygal
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9145

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jazzygal   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YEs....they are aweful...but as one member mentiond...WHAT WAS YOUR OPENING PRESSURE??

Pseudotumor cerebri (PTC) is very COMMON in Lyme due to the use of tetracyclines ....

In the case of PTC a spinal tap/lumbar puncture could save your life and your vision.

I do not recommend them routinely--but if PTC is a factor in your Lyme then you will need to have more or risk having permanent blindness.

Do a google search on Lyme and Pseudotumor cerebri and see what you find--very eye opening!

Dawn

Posts: 222 | From USA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellie K
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12056

Icon 11 posted      Profile for Ellie K     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, I was going to do this... I think I should seriously re-consider. Thanks so much for sharing.
Posts: 390 | From Oakland, CA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never again will I have a lumbar puncture. I got the worst headache and have to have the blood patch to get rid of it. The doc doing th blood patch said if docs who did lumbar punctures would use the proper needle there would be no headaches, but they use a larger needle to get the fluid out faster. I don't understand why they just don't do a blood patch and insert blood to cover the hole the made routinely. Hiker

--------------------
Hiker53

"God is light. In Him there is no
darkness." 1John 1:5

Posts: 8887 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bsigel
Member # 11810

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bsigel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter had 2 spinal taps within 7 months. Both taps showed high opening pressure, but the idiots at the hospitals did nothing. First pressure was 250, second was 230. We were told 230 may be her normal pressure, "Take her home and get her back to a normal life." It's a mystery, we may never figure it out. Samantha stopped vomiting after 2nd tap and when we got home from hospital I researched what would cause increased cranial pressure and saw that lyme can cause that. Found the symptom checklist and got her to an LLMD as quick as possible. If she starts vomiting again we will have to take her for another one. Have been using diamox for pressure, just have to keep an eye on her blood pressure and she can not take anything like doxycycline.
Posts: 41 | From Warfordsburg,PA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When they do the LP is it routine to check the pressure? I was too sick to remember. They didnt say anything about it...Melissa
Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
salydega
Member # 7309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for salydega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I with you Merrygirl. I have had many lp's and nobody has ever told me what my pressure was.

Maybe it depends on why you have the lp to begin with.

Sorry Kevin you had a bad experience. I have had it both ways. Only of a couple times with the bad pain and needing the blood patch though.

The last few that I have had have actually made me feel better.. hmmm???

Maybe I need to research the pseudo-tumor cerebri myself. Is this common with LYME??

Posts: 73 | From phoenix, az | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin Hamblin
Member # 12019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin Hamblin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yah,

I don't know what the starting pressure was. I was hoping it started a little high, so my head would feel better (because I had headaches before the LP).

The good news is, my Commander and ID want to send me to an LLMD and have the military pay the bill!!! I might actually get some progress!!!

Kevin

Posts: 22 | From Texas | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soleilpie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8481

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Soleilpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kevin,

It's amazing that the AF would even consider an LLMD! But it sounds like your Commander is open minded and not full of him/herself! That's awesome news! [Smile]

--------------------
The best index to a person's character is how he treats people who can't do him any good, and how he treats people who can't fight back.
-Abigail van Buren (Pauline Esther Friedman) (1918-2002)

Posts: 409 | From Florida | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement