LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Off Topic » zucchini recipe and review of my favorite cookbook

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: zucchini recipe and review of my favorite cookbook
MariaA
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I posted this at Planet Thrive:

first, a couple of really good cookbooks on Indian and Asian cooking (the links go to the Amazon reviews of these books).

Even if you're not vegetarian these will expand your horizons on what to do with side dishes:

my favorite cookbook in the whole world:

Madhur Jaffrey's World of the East Vegetarian Cooking
This book covers Asian vegetarian cooking of all types, from fancy to 'street vendor' style dishes and treats.

It's heavy on the Indian subcontinent foods, and has a lot of great stories about their origins, but also goes to Korea, China, Japan, the Phillipines, Middle East, Indonesia, etc- and talks a lot about the fusion of traditions that happened during colonialism when the British, Spanish, and other Europeans brought their dishes to Asia- and what surprising adaptations the local cultures have made with them since then!

The vegetable section alone will open your horizons as to what kinds of spices and food combinations can go together. Salty green beans with unsweetened coconut, anyone?

The book also emphasizes the 'street food' types of dishes and is full of great stories from this lady's world travels (where she sought out food of course) and life in New York.

Laxmi's Vegetarian Kitchen: Simple Healthful Recipes from India's Great Vegetarian Tradition

This one is really inspiring because the author was a non-cook till she moved to America and had to learn to cook to eat what she was used to back home. She evolved from a non-cook to a master cook in a short time, and writes very well. The book also has a lot of info about Indian food culture. Check out the Amazon comments above- someone pointed out that their teenagers have been using the cookbook. I think that's a serious testament to both ease of preparation and good book layout.

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Next, my favorite dish in the whole world, from the first cookbook:
Zucchini Kofta Recipe- link goes to Planet Thrive

This is a zucchini (or lauki gourd, if you're Indian) fritter (made from grated zucchini and chickpea flour and fantastic seasonings), that's then braised in a tomato-onion-cream sauce. I sometimes make just the fritters and forget about the sauce completely. The sauce is really heavy if made with cream but can be made with soymilk and that makes this a much lighter dish.

The seasonings- garam masala, cilantro, jalapeno, cumin and ginger- make this an absolutely exquisite dish, very fancy.

--------------------

Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sizzled
Member # 1357

Icon 14 posted      Profile for sizzled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[lick] [lick]
Posts: 4258 | From over there | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill E.
Member # 9121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill E.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maria,

Do you buy chickpea flour at the healthfood store?

This sounds yummy! And gluten-free!!

Jill

--------------------
If laughter is the best medicine, why hasn't stand-up comedy cured me?

Posts: 1773 | From San Diego | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

yep, either the health food store or Indian grocery stores should have it. It might be called garbanzo flour (in health food stores) or besan (in Indian stores).

In a pinch, I've used white flour to thicken the fritters- but it doesn't taste as good or set up as well. Squeezing as much juice as you can out of the grated/salted zucchini first really helps keep the fritters from falling apart.

Too much chickpea flour can give you gas, by the way.

--------------------

Herbal Links Thread

MariaA
Member # 9128

By the way, if you guys decide to buy one of these cookbooks from Amazon, you can get Lymenet a small commission from Amazon if you do it this way:

-'copy' the name I gave for the book above
-then, click on the 'shop now' banner that's on the left of this page here at Lymenet (you'll need to scroll up to find it on this page, it's up at the top left of the thread). It'll bring you to Amazon in such a way that Lymenet gets a small commission on everything you buy.
-then find the book by pasting the name in the Amazon search bar.

-I think this still gets Lymenet a commission. I dont think that'll happen if you click directly on the link from my post and then buy the book that way.

That's true of any books or other items you want to buy from Amazon, by the way- you can support the forum by clicking on the Lymenet 'shop now' amazon banner on the left and then finding your desired item for purchase.

--------------------

Herbal Links Thread

MariaA
Member # 9128

By the way, I made this today, or some variation on it- and it was so good that my roommate couldn't stand the fact that I had thrown away a couple of burnt fritters- he actually fished them out of the (still fresh) compost in the kitchen, brushed off whatever vegetable peels they were resting on, and ate them. It's not that we didn't have any more non-burnt ones left, he just thought they were too good to waste!

[ 27. April 2007, 01:36 AM: Message edited by: MariaA ]

--------------------

Herbal Links Thread

Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Maria,

That sounds yummy!!

I grow zucchini in my garden during the summer...

I am going to try this recipe for sure.

Thanks for posting it.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MagicAcorn
Member # 8786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MagicAcorn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MariaA
'street food' types of dishes and is full of great stories from this lady's world travels (where she sought out food of course) and life in New York.

To be a New Yorker is to be a world traveler. You do not have to leave, because we legally have at least one person from every known nation and principality on the earth and plenty of undocumented, and who knows where their from. They could be from another galaxy the way some act.

I was in a cab on St. Patrick's Day and gave the driver from Nigeria a St. Patrick's Day tie I had found. I thought maybe he needed the luck of the Irish a little bit more than me that night. He shared his first snowstorm story with me and that is what makes this place so vibrant. All the different views and hues.

We are a melting pot here in New York and for the most part we have proven to the world we can get along, it is in the bureaucratic area that we fail miserably as people.

Thanks for some new recipes. Have a great weekend everyone and cook up a storm if you can.

[ 27. April 2007, 05:25 PM: Message edited by: MagicAcorn ]

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1279 | From In hiding | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
heiwalove
Member # 6467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for heiwalove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
maria, sounds delicious! thanks!

and magicacorn, that is what i love most about new york. whenever i go anywhere else i miss the beautiful diversity terribly. even in my little brooklyn neighborhood, there are is an incredible range of cultures and ethnicities just in a few-block radius - primarily orthodox and hasidic jewish, middle eastern/muslim, chinese, indian, and latino. i love it here. [Smile]

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/violinexplosion

Posts: 1848 | From seattle, wa | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is an Indian restaurant in Arlington called the "Tandoor".

We go there about every other month or so. I love their food. I eat so much I almost get sick.

Their curries are wonderful and I like their sampler tray best. Hubbie always gets the tandoor meat sampler with chicken lamb, and shrimp. I get a chicken curry.

I wish I could cook like that.........

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill E.
Member # 9121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill E.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, again, Maria. I'll check and see if my health food stores have the chickpea flour - most likely they do.

Yes, I remember the days decades ago when I lived in New York and enjoyed great food from all over the world - many were little, neighborhood restaurants and not expensive - it was the only way I could afford to eat well on my beginning career salary!

Take care,
Jill

--------------------
If laughter is the best medicine, why hasn't stand-up comedy cured me?

Posts: 1773 | From San Diego | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

I know, I grew up in New York! It's given me a great appreciation for Asian and Middle Eastern food (I actually grew up in Jersey City NJ, and my neighborhood was the home of a huge Palestinian and Egyptian immigrant community at the time, which is who ran the grocery stores/delis on the corner). Later I went to high school in lower Manhattan and then lived in the Lower East Side for years and years. Oh man, the food...

I now live in Californai and I do appreciate the fresh local produce year-round (and the ability to grow some of it myself year-round- our small tree just got it's first ever avocados, my roommates all feel like proud parents!). However, the restaurants here, in the San Francisco area, leave so much to be desired after New York eateries. Mostly because eating out is sooo much more expensive here than in NYC. There's just no such thing as a $4 simple breakfast or even a 24 hour diner around here. Somebody please export some big-hair old Italian Jersey Diner waitresses and some Greek diner owners to my town, we need 'em bad! And please send the whole display case of cakes that those diners always have, we don't have that either, at least not as cheap as in NY/NJ.

--------------------

Herbal Links Thread

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement