LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Miss South Dakota and lyme publicity - I need some statistics

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Miss South Dakota and lyme publicity - I need some statistics
missextreme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for missextreme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If any of you are like me, you wish someone would've told you about Lyme Disease so you wouldn't have been sick for so long. I was 12 when I got Lyme and am almost 20 now - still battling the disease. The good thing about it all is that it has given me many, many opportunities to tell people and warn them about Lyme.

My latest adventure with making people aware about Lyme will be when I compete in the Miss South Dakota pageant this summer. My platform will be "Lyme Disease Awareness". This is an exciting opportunity since speaking about this will reach hundreds of people.

As I prepare for the pageant, I am in need of some good Lyme Disease statistics. I need to know estimates how many people have Lyme in the U.S., how many people are expected to get it, etc. Please send me what you know!

I also would like prayers about hopefully helping some people who are sick with Lyme and don't know it.

Thanks for the help :-)

Posts: 204 | From Wyoming | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andie333
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, Miss

I just wanted to wish you luck with your pageant; I know you'll be able to get the word out, and I really respect you for doing that.

I wouldn't wish this sickness on anyone!

Let us know how you do this summer.

Andie

Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cbb
Member # 788

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cbb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a wonderful opportunity!!

If you want statistics about cases, check this link:
www.lyme.org/resources/1980-cumulative.htm

Joe Ham posted this in Gen Support under "LD numbers for 2005?"

It has all the cases for each state from 1980 to 3/2006.
Example:
So Dakota: 18 total

Adjacent states:
No Dakota: 27
Minn: 6,705
Iowa: 548
Neb: 106
Wyoming: 70

U.S. Totals:
In 1980 - 120 cases
1990 - 7,943
2000 - 17,730
2005 - 21, 304

These numbers underestimate the real number of Lyme disease cases.

Read The CDC MMWR - May 7, 2004.
www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5317a4.htm

Page 2 - Editorial Note, 2nd paragraph says:
"Surveillance for LD is subject to several limitations. Studies from the early 1990's suggested that LD cases were underreported by 6 to 12-fold in some areas where LD is endemic; the current degree of underreporting for national data is unknown..."

Apparently they are trying to say that their data doesn't show how many cases there are.

ENDEMIC:
"Lyme Disease Surveillance Case Definition..."
www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/casedef2.htm
"Disease endemic to county -
A county in which Lyme disease is endemic is one in which at least two definite cases have been previously acquired or in which a known tick vector has been shown to be infected with B.burgdorferi."

As you know, a speaker can't throw out too many numbers, or you lose the audience, but a few well-chosen statistics can make a big impact.

Hope this is a start for you.
Give us updates from time to time to let us know how you're doing.

Good luck!!! and I hope you win!!!

Posts: 4638 | From South Carolina | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yea!!! We'll all be rooting for YOU!! [Smile] Keep us posted, OK!?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gael1111
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8816

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gael1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WAY TO GO! We need people like you to speak out. Go to www.findarticles.com some good projected statistics, scary though. Lots of good wishes and luck with you're pageant. [woohoo]

Gael

Posts: 121 | From philadelphia | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gael1111
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8816

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gael1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WAY TO GO! We need people like you to speak out about this horrific disease. Go to www.findarticles.com. Good info and projected statistics. Good luck with your pageant, and thankyou.

[woohoo]

Gael

Posts: 121 | From philadelphia | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi miss SD!

BRAVO! My [bonk] is off to you! You've got my vote. [Big Grin]

I'll come back tomorrow when I can get into my wordprocessor and send you info I typed up in 2004 about lyme disease including IF you would like it: (very detailed ... was made for 4 columns of LEGAL size page and 4 pages in length)

* early symptoms of lyme disease,
* later signs & symptoms of lyme,
* what is lyme disease?
* kids and lyme disease;
* diagnosis and sending western blot igm/igg to Igenex lab in Calif. & other stuff needed.

* 9 questions MDs will ask in making a diagnosis;
* treatment suggestions;
* tick removal;
* protection -- what to do & use;
* hunters and lyme diseas;
* Iowa issues of Lonestari;

* support & info names/addresses/phone nos/
and email addresses;

* books including Lyme Disease Update 2004: Science, Policy, & Law plus the costs.

* Bull's eye: Unraveling the Mystery of Lyme disease by Johathan Edlow, 2003.

* Coping with lymedisease: a practical guide to dealing with diagnosis & treatment, 1997 by seph Territ/Dense Lang.

* Everythign you need to know about LD and other LD tick-borne disordes, 1997, by Karen Forschner.

If you ARE interested SD, please let me know. Otherwise, I won't send it to you.

Also. to send it to you, I'll need your private email address. So just PM me/2 people standing together, and show your private email in this private email between you & me. I'll send it to that address

Also in email topic line, show SEND ME LYME BROCHURE YOU TYPED. Then I know it's NOT spam! Thank you

Also, I noticed you have DISABLED your PM, private messages. I'd like to suggest you change that from no to YES. Just go to MY PROFILE, and read down the instructions where you can change to YES. hit edit update when done.

PMs go directly into your PRIVATE email at home as well as show the ACTUAL CONTENTS of the PM; saves you time.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

[ 08. April 2006, 12:24 PM: Message edited by: bettyg ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Hi, here is some additional stuff I give to all newbies when they come aboard. Found it under someone's "I'm new here" post.

Welcome to this 24/7 LYME support group board!
Here's TREEPATROL's and Tincup's combination newbie links.

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/029917.html

Print off the links then check them off as you read as you could spend
several months reading all of this.

print & read Dr. Barrascono's 2005 info first; you will come back to this
often.

Extensive info in Treepatrol's newbie links about the meaning of WESTERN BLOT IGM/IGG test results from Igenex! Be sure to read or print this info IF Igenex tested you ok!

Also, see Cheryl's extensive web sites on: LD DIAGNOSIS, SYMPTOMS, & TREATMENT ... wonderful! Read the area on CO-INFECTIONS! You
could have from 1-12 other illnesses that tick is carrying...lyme, malaria, etc.

If you are showing symptoms of co-infections, I would like to suggest being tested for co-infections when you have LYME western blots done. It isn't
cheap!! But if you are positive, you can treat the co-infections first, and then work on LYME symptoms.

http://www.lymeinfo.net/lymediseasetreatment.html

EYE SENSITIVIES & NOIR, no infrared sunglasses info., 2-28-06 updated

YES, I have what you have! Are you on doxy too? That made my extreme eyes
200% MORE sensitive than they we were earlier.
I learned a lot about eye sensitivity/lighting on
www.marshallprotocol.com board.
Look for AUSSIE BARB'S EAST FINDER and then eyes/sunglasses, etc.
Wealth of info there.

I ordered the NOIR sunglasses. 2-26-06 corrected wrong email to:
http://www.noir-medical.com/noir_amber.htm

You will need 2% amber and 10% amber ... Style no. 901 and 910.
1-800-521-9746 TOLL- FREE

mention you have lyme and marshall protocol, they will give you 20% off!
Also they have been kind enough to replace the SCRATCHED LENSES & BROKEN BOWS! How's that for service?

I don't drive often at night, but I can wear NOIR's 901 lenses at night while
driving; it creates soft candle lights coming at me...tolerable. NOT to wear in
town with all the action of people crossing where they shouldn't be, etc.

from LOU to Betty on LONG web links and Thank You Lou!:
"If you hit the return key in the middle of a link, I don't think it will be clickable anymore. An alternative that maybe Betty should be telling people about is the tiny url website. I have it on my tool bar at the top of the page and use it for
those incredablylongwebsiteaddresses.

All you have to do is ask tiny url to produce a short version, which it will do with a unique address, which you then use instead in your post. Works just the same when clicked! Here is the website, spread the word!

http://tinyurl.com/

3-1-06, fyi, I tried dragging tinyurl to my toolbar without success, so that's why I currently have LONG addresses vs. short tiny ones! I'll keep trying.

UNDERSTANDING HERXING REACTIONS
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=041517

Tincup's explaination of Camp A and B, Steere vs. Burrascano, on short term antibiotics vs. long-term CHRONIC abx.
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=021395

Bettyg

missextreme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for missextreme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This post in general support has some numbers
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=014799
See the link posted by Joe Ham to the thread above.

Good luck in the pageant!

Bea Seibert

Posts: 204 | From Wyoming | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
missextreme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3610

Thanks everyone for all the help. It's great to have a few, solid statistics to help with a platform. I will keep you all posted on how I do!

Charis

Foggy
Member # 1584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Foggy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ms. SD, you should contact the folks from the Columbia LD center, in NYC. They desperately need all the PR they can get to get this research center open and to fund the endowment. Please look at the Columbia thread, too.

http://www.timeforlyme.org/

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=039594

Posts: 2451 | From Lyme Central | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just don
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Miss South dakota,
I am a neighbor in the adjoining state to the south. (Northern part) Just wanted to add my howdy and welcome you aboard since this is the first time I have seen one of your posts, (knowingly).

I am not knowledgeable like all the OTHERs since they are experts here.

I dont know if YOU have read where we have a Lyme Float every year and canoe or kayak a scenic river somewhere in the USA every year.

I sorta got hooked when I did get the opportunity to canoe the Buffalo River in Arkansaw in 2004.(Thanks Melanie!!!)

It was beautiful scenery and magnificent company from fellow people I met on this board. best week of my life, except it was much TOO short!!

Anyway the suggested site for this, this year is the Niobrara river from Valentine east. No matter what part of South Dakota you are from, it is close, relatively speaking, to attend, and have a bit of social setting with fellow lyme sufferers.

Hope to see you there... And my PM is turned on so you could send me a private message if you wanted too. I would think I have daughters close to your age so it may be possible to be a "slightly" adopted daughter also, If you wish, OR NOT!!!

Dont get to meet many lymies from this area as there are a few less of us here that some other places. But what we have in small numbers, we make up in quality!!! [Big Grin]

As I have always told people all my life, "NEVER met a 'South Dakotan' yet, I didnt like"!!! Was just there Thursday!!! It was sure rainin' up der!!!

Howdy and welcome and hope you float!!!Cuz I remain --just don-- [bonk] with a sore head!!

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Morning, another thing to print off is the heart-warming true story from Paula Langhoff ?, lyme league site owner, written like a poem.

She has her single spaced version in general, and NAN has double-spaced her piece, THE FORGOTTEN. This tells it like it is to family/friends who say BUT YOU DON'T LOOK SICK.

gotta run finding MS info for my friend, got side-tracked but wanted to send you this info too.
Bettyg

Kerryblue
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kerryblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, wish you all the best of Luck, & thanks.

Last yr. I know 1 of Miss USA, forget state, ran.
DID not win Miss USA.
Here platform was for FM, that she stated she suffers from.

Appeared to be a very nice gal, too bad, no win.

Sure hope you do....
Best of Luck,Blessings, [group hug] Thanks,Kerry

Posts: 746 | From Clearwater/fl/Pinellas | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiden424
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7633

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aiden424     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck!! I live in South Dakota too and I only know of one other person with Lyme in my area. I'm sure there are many more. Our doctors here could sure use some lyme education!!

Best wishes!!
Kathy

--------------------
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.

Posts: 807 | From South Dakota | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement