LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Biaxin Dosing Question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Biaxin Dosing Question
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have seen WildCondor stating repeatedly that Biaxin should be taken @ 3,000 mg daily. My ID doc's office just called the manufacturer of Biaxin and they said no way. They said 1,000 mg is the top amount and warned against it. This is straight from the horse's mouth. Even though I'm significantly overweight, they said weight has no issues pertaining to dosage needs.

How are the NY big machine gun docs (like Dr. H and the infamous Dr. B) Rxing horse doses like this? Is there a loophole or not really a safety issue? Why would a manufacturer say this if not true?

Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
regular liver enzymes testing among other types of monitoring, I'm guessing.

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trigal2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trigal2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey seekhelp; I have been on 1,000 mg for close to 3 months now.

My LLMD said this is the highest safest dose to be taken.

I have seen great results at this dose and have 100% faith in my LLMD. TG

Posts: 376 | From New Jersey | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
springshowers
Member # 19863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for springshowers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Note to Self

Research and think for yourself

Anyone on here should not be giving out the advice such as dosage. Even if someone says they did well on this or that dosage ALWAYS check with your doctor etc.

I think and have felt that WC should not be giving out such direct and dangerous advice.

The dosages are set that are safe that our bodies can handle.
IF there is a reason to push it your doctor and you will have to agree on that and most likely they will be in a position such as my doctor was to check blood very frequently. My doc took blood weekly and more if needed during peaks of treatment.

There are always extremes on one end or the other..

Posts: 2747 | From Unites States Of America | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elley0531
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9434

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elley0531     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm on 1,000 mg of Biaxin. It or the Lyme is messing with my tummy the past week, so it'll be back to diet of fermented foods, soups, stews and yogurts for a whiel until i can handle anything raw.

But to be honest-I am doing well on this dose. My doc also gave me 200mg of Plaquenil to take at the same time.

Posts: 594 | From NJ/NY | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone. The reason I guess I keep wondering is most here live and die by the advice of the immortal Dr. B's treatment guidelines. If we believe in chronic Lyme existence and his ideas,then don't we have to buy into his and WC's strategy that Lyme needs higher dosing than any normal illness?

Either we must accept his as the world's foremost Lyme expert or all the faith goes out the window.

Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elley0531
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9434

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elley0531     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well I think he is a brilliant doctor, and obviously has a great track record, but at the same time so do other doctors who use different techniques.

Also important to keep in mind is that we are dealing with numerous possible problems, overall toxins from previously unhealthy lifestyles being a big one for a lot of people (not everyone though), a need to focus on foods going into the body, depending on where you work and live: stress levels come into play, environmental toxins (I work in NYC-for the past 5 years-since this job I have not been well-its not coincidence-honking, flashing lights, fumes, blah blah), on top of that these bugs which are tricky to deal with come up.

No one person is the same which is why its important to remain open.

Some people go into almost full remission by addressing parasites, or reducing stress, or changing diets, detoxing chemical or metals, etc.

A lot fo the symptoms we Lymies get can be and usually are from a lot of different causes and it comes down to your body struggling with something(s) and resulting inflammatory responses.

my overall point is high dose abx for one person may be a godsend, high dose abx for another might mean serious health problems.

Posts: 594 | From NJ/NY | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my doc gave 1000 of biaxin, no more. and 250 of flagyl per day.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1000 mg of Biaxin daily is in the recommended range of Dr. B.'s treatment guidelines (it says
250 to 500 mg q6h).

Posts: 4681 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haley
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wild Condor is made of Titanium.

Not all of Dr. B's patients were on those doses.

Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by seekhelp:

Either we must accept his as the world's foremost Lyme expert or all the faith goes out the window.

Well, the problem with Lyme is that everyone is affected differently by the disease itself, and some people have different immune responses due to genetics, some people are old, some young like WC was at the time, some people have other damage from the illness, etc, etc, etc. There is no one size fits all formula, either in terms of what the disease does to different bodies, or in terms of how different bodies can handle drugs and supplements.

In terms of the differences between different people's infections- it's like we're dealing with 100 fairly different illnesses (or more). Someone with Lyme bacteria in the brain isn't going to need the same treatment and dosages as someone else whose Lyme bacteria are elsewhere but whose brainfog is due to whole-body inflammation or circulatory issues such as from hypercoagulation caused by Lyme and coinfections. The symptoms of the person with white matter lesions in the brain and the person with hypercoagulation might be quite similar, but the treatment might be totally different. The person with hypercoagulation that's causing their brainfog might improve with oral antibiotics and antiinflammatories, or maybe by treating babesia or other infections that affect the blood. The person with white matter lesions might need IV drugs that cross the blood-brain barrier. And dosage of some meds might need to be completely different if someone's taking combinations antibiotics or if their body processes the drugs faster than it should, for instance.

And, unfortunately, there's no hard science to how to distinguish who needs what. There is some degree of trial-and-error involved.

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD also prescribes Biaxin at 500mg BID or Biaxin XL 1,000mg per day.

3,000mg sounds unnecessary.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katrina
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15236

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Katrina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to the doctor you mentioned above.

He has not perscribed any more than 1000mgs daily of biaxin.

I have been going to him for over a year and have been on Biaxin most of the time.

Katrina

Posts: 219 | From Michigan | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am on 500 mg twice a day. I can't imagine taking 3 grams of it!
But I also take Bactrim DS twice a day and if it was just biaxin with no other drug, maybe it would be ok for a short period of time.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Thanks very much for the confirmation. I was getting worried I was baby dosing. I wonder what made Dr. B pull out the big gun dosing? it's good to hear that about Dr. H too. I think of Dr. H as the king who took over Dr. B's throne.

[ 03-03-2010, 11:09 PM: Message edited by: seekhelp ]

BugBarb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 210

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BugBarb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm on two pills biaxin,for5got the dose/mg and 500mg three times a day flagyl.
this is after a two month "vacation" from antibiotics.
I had been taking doxy and it was tearing my stomach up. hard on the tummy. had to take ranitidine/zantac

--------------------
Lyme is like the flu. You can get it and recover, but you can always get it again.

Posts: 607 | From (deer tick)Heaven! Angeles National Forest | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
migs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for migs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe Wild Condor was on 3000 mg of Ceftin...I recall her Biaxin dose being only 2000 mg daily.

Still a high dose. I took 2000 mg daily of Biaxin for a while and my LLMD decided it was too dangerous and put it down to 1000 mg.

Posts: 410 | From Victoria BC, Canada | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement