LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Amalgam Filling Question - 4 Yr Old

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Amalgam Filling Question - 4 Yr Old
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My 4 yr old daughter had a dental check-up today and we were told she has 5 cavities. It's crazy as she drinks no pop, not big into sweets, etc. At her last check-up, she didn't have any (7 months ago). We saw a new pediatric dentist. I wonder if this dentist is just income crazy and calling everything a cavity. I don't trust dentists a bit.

Most on on her molars. Do we do amalgams or composites? The composite fillings add up fast as out insurance only covers amalgams. We need to 'buy-up' to composites (white) fillings.

I wish I knew how real this issue is and how much is just fear implementation by alternative medicine docs.

Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definitely don't let her get the amalgams!!!!! She'll have to live with this stuff in her mouth for her whole life....might as well make it something that isn't visible. Pay for the white ones!

I would even see if the white ones from a bio-dentist are better than the normal white ones, because I think the normal white ones contain phthlates, which are not great, but in my mind, still better than amalgams.

In this day and age, the metal ones look outdated and strange in younger people, because you know there are alternatives. My opinion.

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ohh...I just remembered, I think it is sealants that have the phthlates or whatever the bad chemical was in them. So perhaps it is not in the fillings.

Yet another reason to go with the white fillings. She will thank you later!

My husband's mom chose metal amalgams over white for him (we are young, so the white was available then), and whenever I see the metal in his mouth, I think...."why did she do that?" In fact, recently a mainstream dentist told him they were starting to get worn out and he should consider getting them replaced. GREAT! (sarcasm)

Dentists recommend "unnecessary" things all the time though....I suspect that, like you. So perhaps get a second opinion if you are concerned. I have even asked a dentist before, "is this really necessary right now?" And they have told me "no," even right after they recommended it to me.

But like I said, if she does indeed need them, go white. Good luck!

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TS96
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14048

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TS96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please do not put mercury in her mouth. You will regret it.

I had amalgams as a young child along with Bart Henslea at 6yo and had terrible learning problems.

Don't take the chance.

--------------------
Bart Henslea 1976
Fibro/CFS/arthritis 2004
Lyme diagnosed 2007
3 1/2 years treatment with oral combos, Cowden, IV roc. BW herbs. Off all abx in 12/10. Feeling good.

Posts: 647 | From NY | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mojo
Member # 9309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seek - you should get a second opinion, I think.

My sister went to a dentist who started to rip up her mouth, wanted to put in crowns, etc - that she didn't need!

Many dentists these days are discounting their procedures because of the economy.

Another thought is perhaps these are "baby" teeth that are going to fall out and maybe that's why the other dentist didn't want to fill them.

I'm going to pm you with a local dentist that I think is great and I think he may work with you on cost (not sure - I had insurance last time I went there). They have a pediatric dentist there, too.

Posts: 1761 | From USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jkmom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14004

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jkmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you should get a second opinion, also.

I moved away from my dentist for 4 years. During that time, I "needed" 3 fillings and a root canal. I have never needed anything done to my teeth before or since, so I am suspicious about that dentist.

You might be able to just wait 6 months and go to a different dentist and see what they say. Then the second opinion would be covered by insurance.

We always paid the extra fee for our children's fillings, just because it looks so much better. Now, I am also glad because of the chance of the amalagram fillings being bad.

Some things that the alternative doctors say take a big leap of faith to try. To me, avoiding metal fillings doesn't fall into that category.

Posts: 984 | From US | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2roads
Member # 4409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2roads     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seek,

Most definitely get a second opinion.

I went yesterday to get my sons teeth cleaned and xrays.

I have to update my old post about grey teeth because they cleaned up pretty well...a relief.

But, two years ago I went to this Pediatric dentist in town. His daughter and my son were in Kindnergarten together. She had her B-day party at the Country Club. Now I know how. My son was invited.

Anyway he said my son had 3 cavities. He filled one. It was a horrible experience so I delayed on the others. I wasn't allowed in. A bottom tooth was in a lot of pain afterward. Not the one he filled. His drill must've slipped. There was alot of blood on the gauze and he gave him laughing gas.

Well, yesterdays dentist took xrays and saw no cavities...even after two years of not filling the last two so called cavities.

It's a perfect example of another sheister and sheister. I was suspicious anyway because he had this fancy computer that printed out a pictorial of his mouth showing three red areas where cavities were. But the write up underneath it to describe the situation said the teeth were unremarkable with no cavities present. I inquired about it, and the *** showed me the xrays. I'm no dentist, but I could not see a difference in anything he pointed to. Neither did yesterdays dentist...... [cussing]

Posts: 2214 | From West Chester, PA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BackinStOlaf
Member # 23725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BackinStOlaf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please don't do amalgams. I am about to embark on a very expensive journey to get my 18 removed. :/

--------------------
First Symptom 9/09
Multiple docs, negative Labcorp test
LLMD: 1/10
Positive Igenex/CDC test
Treatment 2/10
2/10-8/10 Amox, ceftin, zith, flagyl
Currently: Bicillin, Minocycline, still dealing with severe breathing issues

-

Posts: 1121 | From New York, New York | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
greengirl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for greengirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

I second the recommendation to get another opinion regarding the existance of and need to fill the cavities.

I'm very familiar with many of the recent cases involving fraud and pediatric dentistry and the practice of "drill,fill and bill."

I'm not saying that's what this dentist is doing, but if it were me, I'd get another opinion.

Posts: 252 | From New York | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
carly
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14810

Icon 1 posted      Profile for carly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree a second opinion is in order.
You have this feeling for a reason. Don't ignore it.

Take the xrays with you to the second dentist.
Don't say you're seeking a "second opinion". Some dentists like to hear that (ego), others do not (insulting to the profession).

Just let the dentist do the exam and see what is said.

Some dentists like to be more "proactive" about filling early decay, while others will wait to see if it really develops into anything much or if the tooth "heals itself".

Likely, you will get a different opinion.

About those baby molars - some of them will be in there until 12 or 13 years of age. Cavities can't be ignored in a 4 year old.

2roads- glad to hear the stain cleaned off nicely!

Posts: 797 | From New York | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karenl
Member # 17753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karenl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No amalgam at all.My son had no fillings at all,
he did not get sweets and no sweetened drinks.

Please give this information to as many people as possible.
Kids never want sweets if you don't start with it.
Just raise them without sugar and chocolate ..and no sweet drinks.

It sounds complicated but is so easy.
He got some bread or grissini sticks and teas without sugar.Was always very happy, never asked for sweets.

As adult he eats chocolate but the teeth are still great.

I did this because I heard this from a fried who was brought up without any sweets and never was at a dentist.

It saves the kids so much worry.

Posts: 1834 | From US | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lightparfait
Member # 22022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lightparfait     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do not get mercury "amalgams". And take your time to research so you feel you have done the right thing. IF they are little fillings, no need to rush.

Facebook: Multiple-Kinetic-Systems
or
www.multiplekineticsystems.com

Please ask questions on this new holistic site...the dentist, Dr. O. will give you guidance of what your options are...he is very helpful and understands lyme and the whole issues we face.

MKS is a group of physicians...medical, dental, psychological...that work together with chronically ill patients to deal with health to all areas of the body...as body mind spirit in balance will bring forth the most success toward healing illness.

There is also a Dr. who does ART, autonomic response testing in his group...Dr. R., they both test the individual to see what type of white filling is best as there are many substances a dentist can choose from. Have to know what each person is not allergic to before replacing fillings or putting new ones in. White ones can be safe if it is the best type.

There are other dentists that do this as well...but you can get some free advice here.

best wishes for your little one...

Posts: 1009 | From NJ | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DoctorLuddite
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13853

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DoctorLuddite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That dentist should be brought up on charges...Get a second opinion, if the cavities are real, check vitamin D levels and start the child on quality vit D3 supplement; The body needs to absorb lots of calcium to build strong enamel, and if the vitamin D level is below 32 ng/dl, calcium absorption will not occur. Go to www.iaomt.org for info on damage done by mercury leaking from amalgams. I had a dentist tell me I had more cavities than he could count, and they would certainly be causing me pain soon, I didn't see another dentist for 10 years, and at that check-up, they found no cavities in the same # of teeth. First, do no harm.
Posts: 442 | From Biddeford, ME | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone. This is very helpful. DoctorLuddite, my daughter gets lots of sunlight, but her D3 was never tested. I don't think I can get her pediatrician to do that test.

I agree something seems fraudulent here. I think some pediatric dentists really abuse patients at times. I've seen it at regular dentists too. i'm not naive and surely understand dental health is important and there are consequences. It's just when a crazy number of cavities show and the child has no pain at all from these supposed cavities, I started to wonder.

A biological dentist is out of the question. I don't even see one and my wife thinks I'm nuts for worrying at all (she has no health issues).

I won't let her get amalgams. That's a sure bet.

I'm going to get a second opinion before we drop $500 on this. She had been given sealants before and no dentist can figure out why. This was from a different pediatric dentist. Geez. This is insane.

I'm not trying to put down the reputable, caring good dentists in the world. I just believe it's a career in which they are desperate for repeat business and there's tons of room to abuse the system.

Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mojo
Member # 9309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why is a biological dentist out of the question?

I go to a great one locally and he takes insurance, has good fees, etc. He's actually cheaper than my old dentist.

Posts: 1761 | From USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

I had no idea any actually take insurance Mojo. WOW. Can I get his/her name? I've seen so many posts here saying it cost them thousands and thousands up to $20k for work from these type of dentists. I don't have that.

If you know of a reasonable one, I'm all ears. Thanks.

daniella
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daniella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
me too Mojo, if this is true I would also like the information!

thanks [Smile]

--------------------
~Things may happen in my life time to change who I am but I refuse to let them reduce me...~

Posts: 968 | From private | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
YankeeMom
Member # 26692

Icon 1 posted      Profile for YankeeMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My biologic dentist takes my insurance. It can be expensive to get amalgams replaced if your insurance doesn't agree they need replacing. Also white fillings are more expensive than silver. I have a friend who told me her Dentist said that he wouldn't do amalgams anymore because they crack teeth.

I wish my parents hadn't ever gotten me mine when I was a teen. There have been health reprucussions for my whole family from that money saving option and it has cost me a lot of money over the years. I esp implore you to not get amalgams in a daughter. Mercury in her body can have devistating effects on your future grandchildren even if it doesn't seem to impact her health.

Posts: 34 | From St. Louis | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DoctorLuddite
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13853

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DoctorLuddite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you use sunscreen, 95% of vitamin D production from sunlight is eliminated...Plus, the sun isn't very strong at the south pole...
Posts: 442 | From Biddeford, ME | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

I'm so glad you have decided she won't get the amalgams! Both from a health standpoint and a cosmetic standpoint!

My parents chose the white ones for me, and I am eternally grateful to them!

lightparfait
Member # 22022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lightparfait     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Flossing is very important, and sometimes we parents can forget to do that in the little ones...and only brush. Most of my fillings are in between my molars...from when I was a child! I never flossed as a young child or teen! This caused my major tooth problems and health issues of today!
Posts: 1009 | From NJ | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

LP, we floss her teeth EVERY night. [Smile]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement