LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Off Topic » LymeNet's Updated Terms -- UPDATED Again

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: LymeNet's Updated Terms -- UPDATED Again
Jenifer
Administrator
Member # 697

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Jenifer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
***UPDATE: This rule has now been removed. The situation to which caused this new rule has been handled. I am sorry but we are not to discuss this matter in detail. Please note that there is still not to be any mention of anything defamatory about any doctor or member. Thank you.***

Due to recent discussion with concerned individuals, LymeNet has added a new Rule to LymeNet's Terms, and added onto another one, which take effect immediately.

4. ...This includes posting links to websites that violate any, or all, of LymeNet's terms.

7. Any mention of, or reference to, Dr. James Schaller, his practice, books, articles, or website is prohibited. This includes posting links on LymeNet to sites that mention Dr. Schaller, his practice, books, articles, or website.

LymeNet does not tolerate defaming anyone, especially LLMDs.

Thank you for your understanding.

LymeNet's Terms

[ 03-11-2010, 06:49 PM: Message edited by: Jenifer ]

--------------------
Jenifer Stolow
LymeNet.Org Webmaster

Posts: 318 | From Upstate New York, USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cantgiveupyet
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 8165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cantgiveupyet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Jennifer-

Is there anyway that you can clarify what links in posts are allowed now? I will often give links to cite sources.... and I dont want to be in violation. Will links to pubmed be allowed?

I tried to read the TOS to figure it out, but got lost(lyme brain fog)

Also, #7 above- I am very concerned about this as I have a friend that is a patient.

and also, what if a social networking site that are sometimes linked here mentions this Dr...will that have to be removed from LN forever.

I barely saw this post- I am unsure if all members are aware of these changes.

Feel free to PM me or email(I think you have access to that)

Thanks in advance.

--------------------
"Say it straight simple and with a smile."

"Thus the task is, not so much to see what no one has seen yet,
But to think what nobody has thought yet, About what everybody sees."

-Schopenhauer

pos babs, bart, igenex WB igm/igg

Posts: 3156 | From Lyme limbo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Links to cite sources are fine as long as they are not message boards or other sites that allow bashing of our LLMD's.

Can you be more specific as regards your concern with your friend and rule #7?

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cantgiveupyet
Member # 8165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cantgiveupyet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks six-

However I am still confused

Could what you wrote above to me about rule#4 be added so it is more clear that it just means no sites that sites that bash LLMD will not be permitted?

Rule #7 states
This includes posting links on LymeNet to sites that mention Dr.xxxxxxx, his practice, books, articles, or website.

What if Pubmed mentions Dr xxxxx in an article...that violates the above rule correct? and based on the above doesnt that mean that all info from Pubmed wouldnt be allowed? because he was mentioned on that site?

Are these rules more about bashing...because the way they stand now it is interpreted to mean ALL sites with reference to him are not allowed.

Can you explain what prompted rule #7? do you have information that patients and prospective patients need to know?

Thanks in advance

--------------------

-Schopenhauer

Posts: 3156 | From Lyme limbo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All sites/articles referencing him are not allowed. As with anything there is a grey area and we'd have to take it case by case. Pubmed articles for example .... we do not want to say no Pubmed articles. Number 4 needs to stand as is .... not sites that violate our rules.

We do not have information that anyone needs to know.

--------------------

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cantgiveupyet
Member # 8165

Six- me again

Does this mean there will be no mention of him at all on lymenet including his books.... his own websites and..not even sites that promote him?
I realize I am asking a lot of questions- but in the years I have been a member on LN this is the first time I have ever seen anything like this.

As far as sites bashing LLMD- how is a Lymenet member going to know that a site is bashing LLMD without reading the entire site- often I am forwarded articles via email from websites...and if they are helpful I will link to it on Lymenet.....

is there a list the moderators are keeping of sites that arent allowed to be referenced so the members will know ahead of time?

if its case by case then there isnt a real rule after all and how is anyone supposed to know theyre breaking rules until afterwards....this makes for a lot of stress and anguish and even more may be afraid to post...no one likes to break rules

thanks again.

--------------------

-Schopenhauer

Dawn in VA
Member # 9693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawn in VA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just my two couple of droplets here, but I don't agree with this rule change. If it's a lurker (ie IDSA) that is doing the bashing, that's one thing, but if a Lymenet member feels that an LLMD is not up to par, I think it's useful information for all to consider and to make their own judgments about.

On the flipside, if someone really loves their LLMD, then negative posts may cause an increase in activism to fight for and support him or her as a doctor.

We're all sometimes in limbo about who to seek out- who's the best, so-so, or not so hot. Two of the LLMDs, one who actually trained under Dr B for a while, I've personally been treated by are two that I would never ever recommend for anyone to see. They were simply, in my opinion anyway, not very Lyme-literate afterall. I've never said anything publicly on the forum about them, but if someone were to pose a question about them I will not hesitate to voice how I feel.

I don't know much of anything about this LLMD or his methods, but I feel that all views on this forum should be open for discussion, unless really hateful things are said (___hole, b___h, etc.). Perhaps that was the case though. If so, I take back everything I just wrote. [Cool]

[ 02-02-2010, 08:55 PM: Message edited by: sixgoofykids ]

--------------------
(The ole disclaimer: I'm not a doctor.)

Posts: 1349 | From VA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

I'm sorry I can't give the details for this decision. I also realize you can't read an entire site, so if a site is one we don't want, we will edit it out. And yes, no reference to his books or his site even.

There are grey areas for any rule. If you're quoting a Pubmed study, that is one thing. If you're quoting a message board that allows things we do not, that is another.

I agree Dawn. But that kind of discussion is not going to include one doctor.

If I were at liberty to explain, you would understand, but I'm not, and for that, I'm sorry. [Frown]

--------------------

Anna Lee
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22992

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anna Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have a number of ways (off LymeNet) to express negative opinions about someone if you insist on doing so. Since some people have not grasped the alternative option concept and continue to post negative opinions publicly on LymeNet, this rule was deemed necessary. AL
Posts: 127 | From USA | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you guys explain please which websites we are not allowed to link to? I have a ton of links on my site and I want to know which ones you consider to be offensive content wise.

Everyone here also deserves an explanation for why talk of Dr. Schaller is now banned on Lymenet? The above comments do not explain why. Please clarify, thanks.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna Lee
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22992

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anna Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If someone reports links to the moderators concerning something offensive we will review each case individually. Everyone may want a reason for the banning of talk about Dr. S, but other than what Sixgoofykids, Jenifer and I previously stated above, we are not able to provide any more information. AL
Posts: 127 | From USA | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Just to add to what Anna Lee posted. Dr. S is not banned, he may join and post if he would like to.

I wish there were more we could tell you.

--------------------

Gayle
Member # 15141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gayle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
can someone ask about a particular doctor?
where are the rules listed so I can read them again
thanks

--------------------
Gayle

Posts: 19 | From Highland Park Area | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oxygenbabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jenifer, Lymetoo, Robin123, sixgoofykids, faithful777, Dogsandcats
Delete my profile

Posts: 2276 | From united states | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement