LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » small red Dots - petechial rash?! - which bug? babesia? bartonella? include pic's

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: small red Dots - petechial rash?! - which bug? babesia? bartonella? include pic's
daniel
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22201

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey folks,

i just wanted to ask u, which bug causes these petechial "rashes"... small red dots. i have these on my chest, about 10 pieces... on my back there are 20-30 pieces. i didnt have them before i got sick... can someone tell me, which bug is causing it?

im positive for borrelia and bartonella.. but after 14 months of constant treating, the last 1/2 year especially bartonella/blo (with tavanic/bactrimDS/doxy 3mos and then Rifampicin/Bactrim 3mos), im still suffering with brain fog. its hard to describe.. somewhere i have the feeling.. wohoo.. there isnt much left to be healthy again.. but on the other side there are still my cognitive symptoms:

- headaches, frontal, but often too like someone would squeeze my head on both sides
- emotional lability
- confusion
- vivid confused dreams (every night)
- memory loss
- concentration problems

other symptoms include:

- strange skin color pale/sometimes yellowish (i have no trouble with my liver, all results are fine!!)
- anorexia
- weight loss (actually gaining due sports and much food (im eating, even when im not hungry))
- sweating (is better now, was very extreme at the beginning)
- sometimes hot flashes
- i have NO musclepain (only after workout), no joint pain
- my cd57 is at 250-400 (range: 60-360)

word finding etc is a lot better now then on the beginning!!

-

-

these small dots are really RED.. it doesnt look very red on the pictures.. bad camera (mobile phone)

greetz

Posts: 371 | From velocity of light | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Florence1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22960

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Florence1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bartonella i think......ive had a few LLMD told me its bart making itself known............

--------------------
Oct 09 Positive CDC Western Blot
Jan 10 Positive Babesia Duncani
Jan 10 Cd57 28
Mar 10 EBV, IgM, IgG
HHV-6 IgG

Posts: 739 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6646

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have always heard that they were caused by chlamydia pneumonia because it is a vascular illness. I have them as well as my husband and we are both positive for cpn.
Posts: 433 | From new york | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daniel
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22201

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i was tested for chlamydia pneumonia three times, always negative... i have read that the small red dots are caused due bartonella or babesia.. but i couldnt figure out which bug its really causing.. [Smile]
Posts: 371 | From velocity of light | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
julielynne4
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have heard bartonella as well. My husband has these and although he has not been tested and he does not see an LLMD, I believe he has bart because of all of his other "bart marks" and the fact that I have bartonella.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elizzza811
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24713

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elizzza811     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you considered the possibility that which bug it is might not be as important as what it is that is causing this bug to misbehave and burst blood vessels and avoid being clobbered by the immune system to begin with?

Your cell phone might be the culprit. Microwaves open up the blood-brain barrier. In my opinion, Lyme, bart, babs...none of these would be seriously debilitating bugs if we weren't giving them the advantage by bombarding our bodies with microwaves 24/7. Even those who don't use a cell phone (I'm one of them - I never owned a cell phone, and I gave up my cordless phone several years ago) are being bombarded due to area cell phone masts.

Our Heads in a Microwave Oven:
http://tinyurl.com/2dcrpwr

I pulled this from the article above...

And then there is the most personal evidence of all: ``My home in Cobourg is clean. I went for a walk outside, in a clean environment; no towers nearby. I took a sample of my blood -- a pinprick -- and put a drop on a slide. The red blood cells were all spaced out evenly.

``Then I got a cell phone and made a call. I kept the phone on for five minutes, and tested myself again.''

This time, the red blood cells were lined up in a more orderly fashion; this is known as the Rouleau formation, a non-specific indicator of disease, often present during chronic inflammation or physical stress.

Posts: 495 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jwall
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22999

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jwall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LLMD said bartonella. I have the same red dots on my abdomen (they are really noticeable as I am fair and have no other marks), lots on my shoulder blades, and am noticing more on the inside of arms. I develop more and more everyday.
Posts: 618 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree that it is bartonella. You are treating it so hopefully something will begin to work for you. I think some of these skin "things" let us know we are still infected even when we feel pretty good otherwise.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daniel
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22201

mhh strange, i have none real bartonella-strech marks.. nowhere.. only these small dots.. some ppl here describe them with babesia, some with bartonella.. the thing is, that i treatet bartonella with the following protocol(s):

6 weeks factive 320mg+200mg minocycline+ 400mg doxy
7 weeks roxithromycin 2x 300mg+ 2x bactrim DS
8 weeks tavanic 500mg + 2x bactrim ds
4 weeks tavanic 500mg + 2x bactrim ds + 200mg mino
3 months rifampicin 900mg + 2x bactrim ds + mino 200-400mg

between these 2x 10days of flagyl...

that are 10 Months!!!!!! of Bartonella/BLO Treatment.. but improvement always was very slow! now i am at a point, where i can say.. that there is no more improvement anymore.. it doesnt go on. so im searching for new options/bugs.

daniel
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22201

they doesnt hurt, they are only there
Dekrator48
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dekrator48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
daniel,

I have the same small red dots...maybe 10 of them on my abdomen and chest.

My husband also has some on his abdomen and chest.

I do not know the offending pathogen.

I have lyme and was IgG pos for Bart and neg for Babs.

--------------------
The fibromyalgia I've had for 32 years was an undiagnosed Lyme symptom.

"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". -Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 6076 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marrit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25454

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marrit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those look like cherry angiomas.
Lots of people have them, and the older you get, the more you tend to have.
One doctor told me if you have A LOT of them, it COULD be a sign of liver damage.
They can be lasered.

Posts: 277 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zil
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12048

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zil     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bartonella is what my LLMD said. I have a couple hundred of the pinpoint red - abdomen, upper thighs and inner arms. I have 2 on my chest that are a bit bigger like a tiny red mole.
Posts: 383 | From Ar | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daniel
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22201

@dekrator48 what symptoms do u have???
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bleeding under the skin (Petechiae) can be associated with babesia too.

http://dermnetnz.org/arthropods/babesiosis.html

My non-LLMD said she associates it with edema. I suppose a number of things could cause it.

Terry
I'm not a doctor

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have a ton and i mean a ton of these. mostly on my legs, a couple of larger ones on my stomach.

i hate wearing shorts or anything because i have soooo many.

and yep, my doc said older people get this. ha!!!!

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mjbucuk
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 843

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mjbucuk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
here is what I have learned: if they are small bruises under the skin (petechiae) then they will not fade when you push on them... petechaie are babesia. . On the other hand at our house we do not have petechiae, instead we all have small red dots which fade when pushed on... they are from bartonella creating a new capillary. Ours are at the center of a small white circle.

[ 08-01-2010, 09:57 PM: Message edited by: mjbucuk ]

Posts: 758 | From now TX | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karenl
Member # 17753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karenl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
randibear,
please read cpnhelp.org. You also have other symptoms of chlamydia pneumonia ...

Also you reported something about your mother having the bigger red dots - cpn is congenital.
And you are not getting better - you need the cpn protocol ( as complicated as lyme). It has nothing to do with age, they all go away with treatment.
No reason you suffer, the initial cpn treatment works fast.

Posts: 1834 | From US | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kidsgotlyme
Member # 23691

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kidsgotlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter has these little red dots on her legs. They itch her really bad sometimes.

Does anybody else have them where they itch? I don't think a 14 year old can get shingles. Plus, they don't hurt, they just itch.

--------------------
symptoms since 1993 that I can remember. 9/2018 diagnosed with Borellia, Babesia Duncani, and Bartonella Hensalae thru DNA Connections.

Posts: 1470 | From Tennessee | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daniel
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22201

@mjbucuk i dont understand your post, first you say that petechiae are from babesia.. then u say they are from bartonella?! mine dont fade if i push on them.

if u get older u get these?? ok.. but im only 25 years "old" .. i didnt have anyone until got sick

look @kidsgotlyme ... 14 year old daughter and have these too..

Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have some, and I have just Lyme, no babs or bart. Someone above said it might be linked to liver. Could it also have nothing to do with any infection at all? Guess we don't know enough about what causes them to tell.
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy N.
Member # 26835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tammy N.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you Daniel for this post, and everyone else who has replied. I have quite a few of these spots myself and have been wondering what the heck they are. I am going to take it up with my LLMD. There shouldn't be any danger in having them removed at some point, right?
Posts: 2238 | From East Coast | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marrit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25454

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marrit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If they're bright red, stick up, and are smooth in appearance, they are MOST likely cherry angiomas. Here's some pictures:

http://www.skinsight.com/adult/cherryHemangioma.htm

I've had some lasered. Cheap and easy removal.
But if you're prone to them, new ones will show up in other places.

Children can get them, too, but they are mostly seen in adults -- they're also called "senile angiomas."

http://health.allrefer.com/health/cherry-angioma-info.html

Cherry angioma

Alternate Names : Angioma - cherry, Senile angioma
Definition

A cherry angioma is a noncancerous (benign) skin growth.

Overview, Causes, & Risk Factors

Cherry angiomas fairly common skin growths that vary in size. They can occur almost anywhere on the body but usually develop on the trunk.

They are most common after age 30. The cause is unknown.

Posts: 277 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeorsomething
Member # 16359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeorsomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was this abstract:

Pyogenic granuloma: pyogenic again? Association between pyogenic granuloma and Bartonella.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11907853

It seems the control group featured some subjects with cherry angiomas but none of these individuals tested positive for Bart. However, PG does seem to have some correlation to Bart infection.

To me, yours seem to be cherry angiomas. However, no one really knows what causes them so could be an infection...maybe BLO, Babs, etc....

--------------------
"Whatever can go wrong will go wrong."

Posts: 2062 | From CT | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
been
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23127

Icon 1 posted      Profile for been     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have them too. I mentioned this to you in this thread:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/93311?#000015

Posts: 133 | From Philly/NJ | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mjbucuk
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 843

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mjbucuk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
daniel, I edited my post above. Hopefully my post is easier to understand now.
Posts: 758 | From now TX | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katrina
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15236

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Katrina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Daniel,

I also had these small bright red dots on my skin. I went to see Dr. S. and he did not think they were related to bartonella. He did a complete skin exam. I did test positive for babesia duncani however. Then I went out to California and saw Dr. H. who noted that they were a result of babesia. He said it was a classic babesia marking.

If you have treated the other coinfections and are not yet fully recovered you might want to consider babesia as a coinfection.

Katrina

Posts: 219 | From Michigan | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amelia
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17677

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amelia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Everyone: I have these too. And, I have wondered what they were. Mine lay flat down - not raised at all and are the size of a pin prick for the most part.

They are mostly around the bite area and my abdomen. So babs... Thanks Katrina for your feedback-- this is very helpful.

Posts: 243 | From Charleston, SC | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lightparfait
Member # 22022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lightparfait     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Babesia,your pictures are clasic babs. Pinhead red raised bumps, under skin, that do not itch, are just present individually on the turnk and thighs mostly and feel very raised against our touch.
Not flat. Not blood blister type. Not itchy in clusters.

Other types of red bumps indicate other issues...

Thanks for posting your pictures so others know the difference.

Posts: 1009 | From NJ | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IckyTicky
Member # 21466

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IckyTicky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those look like "red moles". My dermatologist told me mine were just normal... but my last LLMD visit he asked me about them (I have them mostly on my chest) and he told me that if you biopsy one of those and look at it under darkfield microscopy you'll find spirochetes every time. He told me it's a number 1 significant indicator of Lyme in his opinion.

--------------------
IGM: 18+, 23+, 30+, 31+++, 34+, 39IND, 41++, 58+++, 66+, 83-93IND
IGG: 31+, 39IND, 41+
Also positive for Mycoplasma Pneumoniae and RMSF.
Whole family of 5 dx with Lyme.

Posts: 1014 | From Texas | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
17hens
Member # 23747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 17hens     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Katrina said

"I also had these small bright red dots on my skin. I went to see Dr. S. and he did not think they were related to bartonella. He did a complete skin exam. I did test positive for babesia duncani however. Then I went out to California and saw Dr. H. who noted that they were a result of babesia. He said it was a classic babesia marking."

----------------------------------

Katrina,

were the red spots like a flat pin prick or a raised red bump? I believe Daniel shows both in his pics so I wasn't sure which one you were referring to.

I have the flat red dots, like pin pricks, on my upper arms and chest, so you've got my attention.

--------------------
"My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Psalms 73:26

bit 4/09, diagnosed 1/10

Posts: 3043 | From PA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daniel
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22201

thanks so much everyone 4 response! my babesia test always was negative.. but i have a few symptoms which could be from babs.. now i really think that i have a babesia infection because of your responses. i will talk to my llmd and start babesia treatment in 1 week. thx to all! [Smile]
applewine
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26220

Icon 1 posted      Profile for applewine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Daniel,

I believe that petechia are a side effect of either Bactrim or Refampin. I was looking up side effects and those are both listed as causing petechia.

I started to get petechia several weeks into taking the antibiotics. At the time I thought it was the infection like you and my doctor said, but now year later I've looked up the side effects.

What antibiotics were you taking when you developed the petechia?

Posts: 136 | From arlington, VA | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If they're itchy, I'd say allergic reaction (could be to fleas, med or something else).

Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever causes red dots. It's one of my many coinfections with Lyme. You can have a little or a lot of dots.

You don't need to be in the Rocky Mountains to get infected with it.

[ 04-04-2014, 09:03 PM: Message edited by: Judie ]

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jupiter76
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 37697

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jupiter76     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bartonella stimulates the growth of small blood vessels by increasing VEGF. So i.m.o. the raised and blood filled looking "dots" are caused by some sort of bart that stimulates blood vessel growth.

Babesia does not stimulate VEGF as far as I know. but babesia or similar protozoa causes bledings under the skin and i.m.o. the red dots which are not raised and much smaller looking like needle pricks filled with brightly coloured blood and seems to be in but not rally on the skin,

I believe that this is some protozoa. I tested positive for significant biofilm by frylab and as well antibiotics from the "floxacin class" lik factive, avalox and so on did not so much.

what helped was lovenox and from tome to time azi+plaquenil, praziquantel, rizol oils, tinidazole oral and flagyl i.v. Clindamycin helped as well significantly.
Artemisin helped as well, Coartem I think so but actually treating (2. round)

I would do the biofilm frylab test and if there is much then treat against protozoa and biofilm agressive with lovenox, rechtsregulat (a german product)....

I you have signficant allergies and histamine intolerance this is a sign of parasitic infection more than just bacteria.

hope this may help a bit.

try sida acuta from woodlandessence. makes me really herx.

[ 04-22-2014, 08:24 PM: Message edited by: Robin123 ]

Posts: 185 | From Germany | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Daniels post is 4 years old. Hopefully he got over whatever was causing it but this is a lot of good information Jupiter, in case someone else is wondering which infection causes it.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nancy L
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nancy L     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have noticed these red spots (not the pin-prick, but slightly larger) on my stomach.

Then I saw a picture of my type spots on an internet entry and the girl said that they were a definite sign of babesia, and that they are mostly on the stomach/chest and back.

Senile angiomas are different. I have a few elsewhere pre-lyme and they are age-related.

These are more in a group on one side.

Mine are not allergy-related as I have not been taking antibiotics or prescription drugs.

Hope from something besides this babesia (or other co-infection) and that the internet entry was wrong.

Posts: 254 | From North Carolina | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LisaK
Member # 41384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LisaK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
looks like you have a lot of responses here, but just came across this while searching for Bartonella symptoms:

"Petechiae (puh-TEE-key-e) — tiny purple or red spots on the skin, whites of your eyes or inside your mouth "

and these symptoms were listed for Endocarditis which I found after searching for bart symptoms.

http://www.anapsid.org/lyme/symptoms/tbi-symptoms.html

--------------------
Be thankful in all things- even difficult times and sickness and trials - because there is something GOOD to be seen

Posts: 3558 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jupiter76
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 37697

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jupiter76     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone with pin prick dots who also has mast cell activation syndrome or histamine intolerance?
Posts: 185 | From Germany | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jupiter76:
Anyone with pin prick dots who also has mast cell activation syndrome or histamine intolerance?

-
That may be me. I don't have very many. They don't bother me at all.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a bunch of the red dots spread apart from one another. I have a friend who has Grave's Disease, but not Lyme Disease. She has a bunch, too, and thinks it is a combo of aging and autoimmune problems--not just Lyme and co-infections.

You would not know she has any illness.

--------------------
Hiker53

"God is light. In Him there is no
darkness." 1John 1:5

Posts: 8879 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read recently that aging can be part of it.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CherylSue
Member # 13077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherylSue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, Stephen Buhner mentioned in his book that mycoplasma can cause these as well.

I also heard that aging may be a reason, too.

I think all the above, bartonella, lyme, CPN, and babesia may cause them as well.

Conclusion: you cannot diagnose yourself on the presence of these blood blisters alone.

Posts: 1954 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jamers
Member # 28016

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jamers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know if the presence of the small red dots and blotchy skin are related to Bart? My skin looks purple and is blotched with paler spots. Also, I have an increase in wrinkles, moles, freckles, and stretch marks (not like a bart rash).

--------------------
Diagnosed Pos. Lyme Nov. 17, 2010, Igx.
Pos. Babesia Duncani March 2011, Igx.
Clinical diagnosis for Bartonella

Posts: 1127 | From North Carolina | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LisaK
Member # 41384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LisaK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jamers, is that cigarette Paper Skin?

I have this, but is going away with treatment

--------------------
Be thankful in all things- even difficult times and sickness and trials - because there is something GOOD to be seen

Posts: 3558 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jamers
Member # 28016

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jamers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lisa, I have never heard of that term...how would you describe it? What treatment is helping?

--------------------
Diagnosed Pos. Lyme Nov. 17, 2010, Igx.
Pos. Babesia Duncani March 2011, Igx.
Clinical diagnosis for Bartonella

Posts: 1127 | From North Carolina | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bla
Member # 42361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bla   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone considered this might be just another symptom of Lyme, it's self? I've had petechial type rash since I was bit by the tic that gave me LD. Over time, I have developed what is now being termed "morgellons disease," (a skin disorder where skin lesions develop and are slow to heal). I think the petechial rash developed into morgellons, which was recently discovered to be a result of the Lyme bacteria, bb.

--------------------
bla

Posts: 59 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LisaK
Member # 41384

Jamers here is a pic :

http://www.danderm.dk/atlas/8-43.html

ACA is a manifestation of late stage chronic European Lyme from B. afzelii. It is usually only found in Europe, and rarely in people with European heritage in the US.

I found this on MEdscape- you can see link for more::

"ACA is the only form of Lyme borreliosis in which no spontaneous remission occurs. Its pathophysiology is not yet fully understood. ACA appears to be associated with long-term persistence of Borrelia organisms in the skin; several nonspecific reactions, together with a specific immune response, may contribute to its manifestations.

The persistence of the spirochetes despite a marked cutaneous T-cell infiltration and high serum antibody titers may be connected with the following factors:

Resistance of the pathogen to the complement system
The pathogen’s ability to escape to immunologically protected sites (eg, endothelial cells, fibroblasts)
The pathogen’s ability to change antigens, which may lead to an inappropriate immune response

Lack of protective antibodies, with a narrow antibody spectrum and a weak cellular response characterized by downregulation of major histocompatibility system (MHC) class II molecules on Langerhans cells, has been observed in patients with Lyme borreliosis.

A restricted pattern of cytokine expression in ACA, including lack of interferon gamma, may contribute to its chronicity. Cross-reactive antibody responses could take part in autoimmune damage, but whether autoimmune reactions play any role in the pathogenesis of the disease is unclear. The pathogenic mechanism of atrophic skin changes also has not been clarified. Perhaps periarticular regions are favored sites because of reduced acral skin temperatures or reduced oxygen pressure.

Lack of adequate or appropriate treatment of early Lyme borreliosis facilitates the development of ACA.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1051695-overview

There is all kinds of info there. I personally suspect that this is more common in the USA than they realize.

I was told dr after dr to use more skin lotion. of course nothing like that helped.

My mom has it but she is in total denial about lyme even though she lives in a heavily lymed area in Virginia and has had some 30 KNOWN ticks since moving there 20 years ago. [confused]

--------------------

LisaK
Member # 41384

I found this about BART- pin point red spots particularity on legs:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/idiopathic-thrombocytopenic-purpura/basics/definition/con-20034239

Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura (ITP)

Easy or excessive bruising (purpura) — your skin naturally bruises and bleeds more easily as you age, but this shouldn't be confused with ITP

Superficial bleeding into your skin that appears as a rash of pinpoint-sized reddish-purple spots (petechiae), usually on your legs

Prolonged bleeding from cuts
Spontaneous bleeding from nose
Bleeding gums, especially after dental work
Blood in urine or stools
Unusually heavy menstrual flow
Fatigue

Also mentioned here:
"Do Bartonella Infections Cause Agitation, Panic Disorder, and Treatment-Resistant Depression?"::

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2100128/

--------------------

kdennett
Member # 47802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kdennett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I realize I'm late to the party, but gonna weigh in anyway. I also developed petechiae along with my illness (Lyme pos., doc suspecting Bartonella now as well), and these ones are not related to age. Extra wear and tear or rubbing/pinching of the skin can cause them once in a while in otherwise healthy people (you'll see them near your eyelids if you rub your eyes extra hard), but what most of the people on the board are referring to are spontaneously bursting capillaries in the skin. I'm not sure which organism causes them, but my guess is that's it a result more of inflammation and toxin release than a specific disease. This would explain the correlation with antibiotic use as well- inability of the body to detox quickly after the immune cascade caused by the meds leads it to try to expel toxins in any way possible, and sometimes by breaking capillaries near the skin surface. I noted that I got them more often when I otherwise could tell that my toxin load was high, and epsom salt baths seemed to draw out an especially large number of them as toxins close to the skin surface came through- it would always feel like a little pinch and then one of these would appear. Contrary to the age hypothesis, mine have grown fewer in number as time has gone on, primarily because I've learned to detox in other ways so that my body doesn't have to resort to such extreme measures. ***I will note that large numbers of petechiae are a clear sign of Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, which can be fatal if not addressed quickly, likely because the toxin load in the body rises too quickly for the body to deal with it.
Posts: 2 | From Portland, OR | Registered: Apr 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joemateo222
Member # 47665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joemateo222     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mine definitely seem to increase as toxins are being released and my body is having trouble coping.
Posts: 31 | From NY | Registered: Mar 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kms1990
Member # 41700

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kms1990     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BARTONELLA! Galaxy Diagnosed 3 time blood draw with 21 PCR test I would recommend.
Posts: 70 | From New Jersey | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement