LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Would YOU start meds for dysautonomia living alone?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Would YOU start meds for dysautonomia living alone?
tailfeathers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39328

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tailfeathers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many mths ago I saw a well-respected doctor who specializes in Dysautonomia and he Rx'd me Atenolol and flurocortisone. He says he Rx's these even for kids and has never had any problems... well.. kids have parents and I live alone except for occasional help.

I think I'm in the middle of a big ole' Dysautonomic flare and if I don't try these meds I'll go nuts. I'm so fragile medically and disabled that sometimes I wonder how my body has kept me alive.

I'd love to hear how you felt when you first started any of the above meds (or similar ones) for POTS, OT or another type of ANS dysfunction. Many thanks.

Posts: 394 | From Southeast | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Well, lving alone or not, POTS &/or NMH or ANS dysfunction must be addressed - somehow.

I would first approach it with adrenal support, sea salt and talking with LLMD. Your LLMD should review all medication decision. Follow their lead.

Generally, the adrenal support comes first. That might be enough, along with assertive treatment for the infections that are the likely CAUSE of this and liver support to help decrease toxic load (another cause).

The beta blockers like Atenolol can be a but of an adjustment and I found Hawthorn to work so much better for me.

WITH ADRNENAL SUPPORT (which is absolutely vital for anyone with POTS, NMH, etc) . . . Sea Salt is best to begin with before the flurocortisone Rx - as sea salt may be enough and has less potential side effects.

If not, then ta LOW DOSE (very low to begin) of flurocortisone seems logical and many do take that during lyme treatment, too. Again, it is very important for your LLMD to be involved in this part of treatment, too.

Hawthorn helps with all kinds of ANS function. If your LLMD is not familiar with it, a LL ND (naturopathic doctor) will be.

I could not tolerate any Rx but with Adrenal Support, Sea Salt and Hawthorn, all that passing out due to ANS dysfunctioin is far in my past.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/89790

Topic: NATURAL SLEEP & ADRENAL SUPPORT - very careful amounts of LICORICE would be the first thing to look at for POTS, NMH, ANS dysfunction

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=030792;p=0

LIVER & KIDNEY SUPPORT & and several HERXHEIMER support links, too. Toxic load really affects all this, too.

HAWTHORN detail here:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=077325;p=0#000000

CARDIAC INFO & SUPPORT

Includes:

Dr. B's SAFE EXERCISE and PT Rehab guidelines,

EXERCISE INTOLERANCE is (partially) explained in the article: "when exercise doesn't work out" (and what we can do about that)

ADRENAL, CARDIAC, MITOCHONDRIA & MYELIN SUPPORT - that all helps movement better work for us

Styles discussed: Pilates; Qi Gong; Tai Chi; Yoga; water; strolling; etc.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
When I talk about Sea Salt for ANS support, I am not talking about the Sea Salt / Vitamin C protocol.

I am talking about taking carefully figured amounts of sea salt, especially first thing upon awakening in the a.m. with enough water and then little bits throughout the day.

See Wilson's discussion about sodium in the Adrenal book.

And your LLMD likely would have more specific ideas for YOUR body.
-

[ 08-22-2013, 02:01 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Additives and certain processed foods can also trigger POTS, NMH, ANS "events" - be sure to look over everything you consume, even gum or breath mints.

Aspartame used to make my blood pressure drop like a rock (and I did the same but my head kept hitting the rocks!). I had no idea until I stopped all additives. A remarkable difference. A major piece of the puzzle.

This made a huge difference for me. So did going gluten-free as gluten clobbered me in so many ways.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=029690;p=0

Excitotoxins; MSG; Aspartame; & "Natural" Flavors (that are not likely natural at all), etc.

Gluten discussed here, too.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Also a very nice support to help keep on an even keel:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/3/32152#000000

GREEN TEA - Links Set
-

tailfeathers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39328

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tailfeathers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow Keebler, thank you so much for all this information. A lot to digest but you are right, my doc even told me to start off w/ sea salt but I honestly didn't think my stomach could handle salty water. I need to do something, because obviously doing nothing isn't helping either.

Glad going gluten free helped you and I really appreciated all your info!

Posts: 394 | From Southeast | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Hope the detail helps - as an addition to your study & reference file.

With a good amount of water, you stomach should not be bothered by the salt. You can take a bit of sea salt in a little water and then chase it with a full glass of clear water.

Or you can put the salt in food. It need not be a salt-water drink. Just add extra to a few bites of your breakfast. It's just that it's really best to start off as soon as possible after waking up but just do the best you can.

Don't over salt your whole meal, though, just a few bites of it so that it does not ruin the overall enjoyment of your food.

Be mindful of the measurement, though, so you get the desired dose. Enough but not too much. And start at the lower end and gradually move up to recommended dose of sea salt.

Good luck.
-

opus2828
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15407

Icon 1 posted      Profile for opus2828     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I could not tolerate flurocortisone. It made the vertigo much worse. I chose to take atenolol but got it prescribed in a pediatric suspension so I could dose it lower. One ml of the liquid atenolol is 2mg of medicine. I found that 4-5 mg took the edge off the tachycardia. Since it is whort acting I dose about 4-5 mg three times a day at 5 hour intervals. That ends up being a lot less than what they would have had me take. And my blood pressure has not dropped from this low dose.
Posts: 581 | From CT | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lax mom
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 38743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lax mom         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When starting the beta-blocker, I was extra sleepy for a few days. I weaned up slowly. I have had to go off the med temporarily a couple of times and realized just how much it helps me.

I tried Florinef but it made me extremely jittery. I need to try it again though.

If I lived alone, I think I would be fine trying these meds by slowly weaning up. The benefits far outweigh the initial side effects.

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=115161;p=0

Posts: 2519 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WPinVA
Member # 33581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WPinVA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take Thermatabs and they have helped me immensely! I take it on an empty stomach first thing in the morning and that usually goes ok. But if my stomach is off, I do skip it for that day.
Posts: 1737 | From Virginia | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Al
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Al     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Support hose is another thing to consider adding , It keeps the blood from pooling in your legs, hence fainting.

Keebler !

Keep up the great research!!

Posts: 789 | From CT, | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lax mom
Member # 38743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lax mom         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Al:
Support hose is another thing to consider adding , It keeps the blood from pooling in your legs, hence fainting.

An abdominal binder helps as well. Combining it with support hose or compression thigh highs really helps keep the blood flowing back up to the brain.

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=115161;p=0

Posts: 2519 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would try the sea salt first. You just sprinkle a little in your glass of water. You ARE drinking lots of water, right?

Drink it all day (with the salt.)

The fludrocortisone made me crazy with hunger. I could not stand being on it. I'm glad I gave it up!!!

Beta blockers will make you tired, but may help. Take a very low dose.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96227 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement