LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Nicholson interview from ILADS conference - Mitochondria

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Nicholson interview from ILADS conference - Mitochondria
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
[Note: Dr. Nicholson is not a LLMD, he does not treat patients. He is a LL researcher. A very good one, indeed.]

From ILADS conference last weekend, ProHealth Library: Thanks so much for this swift write-up.

http://www.prohealth.com/library/showarticle.cfm?libid=15675

Lyme Disease - Its Cause, Symptoms & Treatments: An Interview with Professor Garth Nicholson

October 20, 2010 - ProHealth Library

Professor Garth Nicolson, PhD, director of the Institute for Molecular Medicine in Huntington Beach, CA, was a featured speaker at the International Lyme and Associated Diseases Society Annual Conference in Jersey City, NJ on Oct. 14-17, 2010.

This interview highlights key points in Dr. Nicolson's presentation to the ILADS group:

REVERSING MITOCHONDRIAL DAMAGE & INCREASING CELLULAR ENERGY IN CHRONIC LYME & LYME-ASSOCIATED INFECTIONS

- by Garth Nicolson, PhD.

- Interview is at the link above.

=====================

His site: www.immed.org

The Institute for Molecular Medicine

A nonprofit institute dedicated to discovering new diagnostic and therapeutic solutions for chronic mycoplasma infections.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That article has a link to an article about repairing mitochondrial function with NT Factor.
This helps fatigue.

Repair Damaged Mitochondria and Reduce Fatigue Up to 45%
by Karen Lee Richards, August 6, 2010

http://www.prohealth.com/library/showArticle.cfm?libid=15150

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CherylSue
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 13077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherylSue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NT factor, anybody else try it?
Posts: 1954 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hadlyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hadlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Up...... wondering too if anyone has tried it.

--------------------
Lyme, Babs, Fry Bug..... Whatever it is, may a treatment be discovered to make us all whole again!

Posts: 941 | From AZ-MT | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blackstone
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9453

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blackstone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From www.ntfactor.com, it appears that Dr. Nicholson is a spokesperson for the product line... I'm less than comfortable when I see "Here's revolutionary support/cure for your condition, and I just so happen to sell it!". This doesn't just appear to be a link to his research on their website, but the .pdf flyers with the "fatigue tests" and his explanation are directly correlated with pushing the product. I don't know much about the man and I'll continue reading, but I'm extremely wary with all these "research institutes" that are attached very closely to a physician or organization selling a product.

For what its worth, this is what the website states is a part of NT Factor..

"
Phosphoglycolipids - includes polyunsaturated phosphatidylcholine, glycolipids and other polyunsaturated phosphatidyl nutrients.

Bifido and Lactobacillus Bacterium -freeze-dried and microencapsulated in a state of suspended animation with the potential to form healthy microflora colonies. Growth Media - foods and bacteria growth factors to support microflora colonies including rice bran extract, arginine, beet root fiber, black strap molasses, glycine, para-amino benzoate, leek, pantethine (bifido growth factor), taurine, garlic, calcium borogluconate, potassium citrate, spirulina, bromelain, natural vitamin E, calcium ascorbate, alpha-lipoic acid, oligosaccharides, B-6, niacinamide, riboflavin, inositol, niacin, calcium pantothenate, thiamin, B-12, folic acid, chromium picolinate. "

So its pretty much the combination of a narrow spectrum probiotic, some lipids (I'm guessing phosphatidylcholine is dominant, which I'm currently taking now and many, many LLMDs suggest as a suppliment), and a multivitamin. All of which can be purchased elsewhere. It seems that this base is added to other products which seem to be more extensive multivitamin/mineral products such as...

http://www.ntfactor.com/propax-gold-with-nt-factor/

For 2 packs a day, they're asking $99 a month. Absolutely asinine. NT Factor doesn't seem to be anything new and its being sold at a premium price.

Posts: 690 | From East coast, USA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Propax Gold has additional stuff in it, including Resveratrol and CoQ10.
iHerb.com has it cheaper, plus a discount at the checkout.

I tried Nutritional Therapeutics, Healthy Aging with High Potency NT Factor.
At six tablets per day, it's about $45 per month.

I didn't notice anything, and stopped taking it.
It's on my list of things to try again.

I've talked to several people over the past couple years who told me that it did help them.

Carol

Nutritional Therapeutics, Healthy Aging with High Potency NT Factor

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
baileypup
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22824

Icon 1 posted      Profile for baileypup     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried NT factor, and didn't experience anything. That was before lyme treatment, when treating with Minocin for AP.
Posts: 964 | From san diego | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hadlyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hadlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too 'Googled' it and saw the connection with Dr. Nicholson and the NT.

Didn't like that connection to a dr. selling something. Have to agree with you Blackstone that I'm less than comfortable with that too.

--------------------
Lyme, Babs, Fry Bug..... Whatever it is, may a treatment be discovered to make us all whole again!

Posts: 941 | From AZ-MT | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LividLymie
Member # 28556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LividLymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nicolson is doing studies on NT Factor that seem legit, but I too tried it and didn't think it was that miraculous. It did give me mild benefit, but that's it.
Posts: 4 | From Borderlands | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
baileypup
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22824

Icon 1 posted      Profile for baileypup     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just got back from my LLMD appt. She attended the ILADS conference, and recommended NT Factor since it supports the cells.

I didn't really understand the explanation, but it had something to do with lyme hiding in the cells and the mitochondria.

Posts: 964 | From san diego | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie_in_md
Member # 14197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie_in_md     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the idea of repairing mitochondria, just how do we do it. I don't believe a supplement magically does that. There are other ways to promote mitochondrial health.

Photon therapy:

http://spie.org/x20066.xml?ArticleID=x20066

Anti aging groups:

http://www.fightaging.org/archives/2006/12/can-damaged-mitochondria-repair-their-dna.php

http://www.fightaging.org/archives/2005/07/slightly-inside-1.php

Nutrition:

http://ezinearticles.com/?Enzyme-Rich-Foods-for-Mitochondrial-Repair&id=743357

Yoga or various exercise even just walking:

http://bodyweight-exercises.animal-kingdom-workouts.com/?p=183

The big one for us, get rid of lyme & company

--------------------
Bob

Posts: 2150 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CherylSue
Member # 13077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherylSue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried it, but had a mild effect. Isocort, an adrenal extract, actually gave me more energy than vitamin B12 shots.

In my experience,
CherylSue

Posts: 1954 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ukcarry
Member # 18147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ukcarry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have just started NT factor, primarily because it was created originally to help repair leaky gut and dysbiosis, but any increase in energy would be most welcome! Clearly it's too early for me to judge yet.

I am taking a mixture of Propax [1 sachet daily] and Healthy aging with High Potency NT Factor 4 tablets daily], which is a cheaper way than to use 3 sachets of Propax daily.

Iherb have some good prices on these products,

Carry

Posts: 1647 | From UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement