LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Would you continue to treat if mild Tinnitus was your only remaining symptom?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Would you continue to treat if mild Tinnitus was your only remaining symptom?
bcb1200
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 25745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcb1200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just curious what others feel.

This is one of 3 remaining symptoms. The other being eye floaters (no biggie) and mild calf twitching, which appears to be getting better with Bart treatment.

I never really had tinnitus before I crashed in March. Sure..I remember times where one ear or the other would ring. And I remember, when I was in a dead quiet room, hearding some noise (not really ringing.)

But this is something I've had ever since my dx. It is better, but still there. I usually don't hear it.

Problem is...I don't know if it is due to jaw / TMJ, lyme & co, or other. It got much worse in March after my jaw was "adjusted" by a Chiropractor. Since then I've been undergoing TMJ therapy with a splint. Jaw feels pretty good now, almost back to normal. But mild tinnitus remains.

I can deal with it, but worry it is an indication of something "lingering."

B

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began
5/10 dx'd, after 3 months numerous test and doctors

IgM Igenex +/CDC +
+ 23/25, 30, 31, 34, 41, 83/93

Currently on:

Currently at around 95% +/- most days.

Posts: 3134 | From Massachusetts | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My eye floaters didn't go away. I have mild ear ringing which could be from being in band when I was younger or even concerts .... I don't know that it's from the Lyme necessarily. I've had lyme since I was young, so I never had a clear start to it.

So, no, based on those, I would not consider them in my decision to continue treatment .... calf twitching, I don't know ....

I'd discuss it with your LLMD.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NOPE. I wouldn't. At least not with more abx.

I agree with Six that only the calf twitching would give me concern that I still needed to treat.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shahbah
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shahbah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I would certainely continue treatment... this indicates that some pretty nasty bugs are there and they will not go away on their own, and if you do not deal with them, they will likely deal with you in not a nice way....
Posts: 723 | From Montreal | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lets see....Floaters, tinnitus, and twitching. Sounds pretty symptomatic to me of ongoing infection.

I feel strongly that eye floaters are indicative of parasites. Your other symptoms are suspicous also of ongoing infection and if it were me I would continue treating.

Most LLMDs recommend treating 2 mos after symptoms are gone. I think there is such a high rate of relapse, that maintenance of some kind and detox are very important to keep this nasty disease at bay. So, I agree with Shahbah to continue with tx.

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bcb1200
Member # 25745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcb1200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How can I treat parasites? Parastroy?

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began

IgM Igenex +/CDC +

Currently on:

Posts: 3134 | From Massachusetts | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
onbam
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've read that floaters may never go away, regardless of the cause. Not sure about tinnitus.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Kete-tracker
Member # 17189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Kete-tracker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you should consider stopping the meds for now to see if the tinnitus (symptom) clears up on it's own. Som meds can actually cause the "ringing/ zinging".

I had some tinnitus, years prior to getting Lyme, that followed a short, flu-like illness (no exposure to ticks at this point) which my PCP attributed to a virus going around.

I cleared the ringing up over a couple months with extra B vitamins (esp. B-6 & B-12) and rigorous daily exercise.

I still have minor left elbow twitching that Might indicate a remaining Bart-like infection, but As it's minor & often isn't there, I haven't pursued further treatmnent.

If tinnitus was the Only symptom, I'd stop, but with other symtoms you listed... :/
it's your call.

Posts: 1233 | From Dover, NH | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lululymemom
Member # 26405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lululymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't it just recently that you were majorily symptomatic on Bart treatment? I would think it would be better to continue for at least another month before going off abx..

--------------------
IGM 41 IND, 83-93+ IGG 31 IND,34 IND, 41++, 58+, 83-93 IND

31 Epitope test neg.

Bartonella henselae 1:100

Posts: 2027 | From British Columbia | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would continue. Sweet oil stops my tinnitus, itching, pain.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Tinnitus has a million causes, and influences. Consider infection, sure, but also consider all the other possible reasons.
-------------

www.ata.org

AMERICAN TINNITUS ASSOCIATION
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anthropisces
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15672

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anthropisces     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I first got on this site almost 3 years ago TF asked me if I had floaters. Once she explained what they were I wrote, wanting to yell it at the top of my lungs "Yes!"

I was so relieved that my symptoms were in common with othes and that perhaps I wasn't nuts.

I had floaters so bad. I felt like the poster child for floaters and actually used those words when I first saw my LLMD.

My floaters are completely gone. I can't remember exactly when they were gone, but they are totally absent and they were once quite bad.

I've been treated for Babs for 7 months. That was when I first started. I was also on Lyme medicine starting on maybe month 3 or so. Since then I've been treated for Lyme and in the past year, lots of Bartonella treatment.

I don't know if you should or shouldn't continue, but my floaters are gone and have been for a long time.

Posts: 152 | From West Palm Bech, FL | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tricky Tickey
Member # 26546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tricky Tickey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I find myself asking the same question. With only one remaining symptom left, elbow/tendoni****/arm pain, all others are gone. The only very small thing I still have is a very slight, tiny palsy type movement on my upper lip. It can't be seen by looking at it. It's like the right side of the upper lip draws up slightly, then releases.

Other than being stiff when getting up sometimes, I'm good to go. My LLMD said we would see about getting off meds when I come back in November. I'm ready to stop taking them. I won't know if it's from the bacteria unless I stop treatment.

I know how you feel. It's like you wonder if it's gonna be forever, or what. WE may or may not have symptoms like this from now on. This bacteria is brilliant & deadly, always changing, never the same in any 2 people, always deceiving.

Good luck, YOu will make the right decision.

--------------------
Early Disseminated LD- 2010.
Currently doing acupuncture and yoga.
Negative Igenex (IND & Pos Bands)
ISSUES AFTER: Tendonitis, letter reversal, Low immune system.
PREVENTION:SaltC,Iodine,Humaworm,
Chiropractic.

Posts: 1013 | From In a van down by the river. | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The tinnitus can be caused by the meds themselves! Floaters... who knows? They may last forever. If they're not bad, then maybe they're not from Lyme.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Muscle twitching and TMJ symptoms can be due to low magnesium.

Lyme bacteria use up the magnesium in our cells, causing many of the ongoing symptoms.

Have you been using supplemental magnesium?
Which kind...look at the list of ingredients.

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tinnitus could be due to C8 nerve irritation, so says a Lyme doc. I treated with a PEMF electro-magnetic machine and my tinnitus stopped for 6 hours.

Floaters I fixed, along with all my other Lyme eye symptoms, simply by drinking mangosteen juice. There are lots of brands - I drink the Ultra one from Trace Minerals. If you try it, go slow and drink water too, as it can be powerful.

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bcb1200
Member # 25745

quote:
Originally posted by lululymemom:
Wasn't it just recently that you were majorily symptomatic on Bart treatment? I would think it would be better to continue for at least another month before going off abx..

Yes...and notice I didn't say I was stopping now. I plan on continuing until at least early December when I have my next LLMD appointment, as well as follow up CD-57, Brain MR, and spect.

My question was mainly hypothetical. As Keebler points out, there are many many causes of tinnitus. Lyme is one of them.

Yes..I supplement with Magnesium. I take 8 Mag Tab-SR's / day.

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began

IgM Igenex +/CDC +

Currently on:

jkmom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14004

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jkmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If your tinnitus started when you got sick, I would view it as part of Lyme and keep treating for a while longer, even if all your other symptoms are gone.

In December, you will only have been treating for 6 or 7 months. I would give it a little longer to see if the tinnitus goes away.

If it is still Lyme and you don't treat, the consequences seem worse to me, than a few more months of abx.

Just my opinion.

Posts: 984 | From US | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeinhell
Member # 4622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was left with tinnitus and stopped abx 6 years ago. As others have said, there are so many causes of it, it can't always be chalked up to lyme.

I got rid of floaters through major detoxing.

Re twitching - get a red blood cell magnesium count. If you're low, oral magnesium, no matter what the brand, will not restore your levels to normal.

I would also take into account how you are feeling overall, before you make that next step. Is feeling 'normal' a regular everyday occurrence?

--------------------
Julie
_ _ ___ _ _
lymeinhell

Blessed are those who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed.

Posts: 2258 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the day finally comes when we have to stop antibiotics and see what transpires. Not everything is LD and some things may just be damage that we are stuck with.

I know that most of us have mixed feelings about stopping antibiotics. You do and you don't want to, for obvious reasons. But its not like you can't go back on them if you feel the need to.

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lymetoo is right on the meds...Minocin is notorious for this.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would be most concerned about the muscle twitching. The tinnitis can be caused from ABX. I have had it for 25 years, way before lyme, but it gets worse on abx.
I don't have floaters, thank goodness.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
onbam
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Dr. B says three months well before you go off.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement