LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Help Please - How to deal with Lyme-induced ADHD?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Help Please - How to deal with Lyme-induced ADHD?
mazou
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15319

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mazou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am learning a new programming language and having the hardest time concentrating. I used to be able to focus for hours, now I can go for 30 minutes, then I am saturated and lose concentration.

I am looking for ANY ideas or other similar experiences.

p.s. I have tried traditional ADD meds and they sent me off the deep end. Any other suggestions greatly appreciated.

Posts: 636 | From Saratoga County, NY | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you looked into fish oil with a high ratio of EPA?

OmegaBrite
http://www.omegabrite.com/why/effects.html

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TX Lyme Mom
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TX Lyme Mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This sounds like neuro-Lyme to me. If so, then the best treatment is with IV antibiotics (Rocephin or Claforan) which penetrate the brain and the CNS.

If that's not enough to do the trick, then consider the possiblity of celiac or gluten intolerance induced by chronic Lyme. The symptoms of what I like to call "neuro-celiac" and "neuro-Lyme" are so similar that it's hard to tell where one stops and the next one starts.

Here's a link to another topic where I have posted information about how Lyme can trigger celiac in someone who is genetically predisposed to it -- which includes 40% of the American population. (Scroll down to find my two posts under that topic.)

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/100207

In fact, based on our experiences, perhaps the most cost-effective approach would be to consider the possibility of "neuro-celiac" first because the IV antibiotic route can be a real nightmare, not to mention the cost involved in IV antibiotics.

If you visit any of the celiac forums, you'll find that "brain fog" can be a major symptom of exposure to gluten in someone who has become sensitized to it. The cerebral effects can linger for several days after even a minor exposure to gluten, so don't overlook this possibility. Gluten intolerance is more common among Lyme patients than one might expect, and a lot of LLMDs are starting to screen their Lyme patients for gluten intolerance now.

Posts: 4563 | From TX | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some supplements that may help: Huperzine A (moreso for memory) and Vincopetine (more for general cognitive issues). You can buy both either at www.vitacost.com or www.iherb.com. Source Naturals is a good brand.

I haven't tried either, just have read about them. They have great reviews on iherb.com. And Buhner mentions at least one of those in his book Healing Lyme.

Also, the adult ADHD drug called Strattera may be helpful to you. Some good advice is to start at 18 mg (or the lowest dose available), and only increase after a couple weeks, if even needed. That will likely lower the chance of side effects. From what I read, people's problems come when they increase too fast...then they end up stopping it b/c they don't like it, because they were taking too much. Give it time.

Insomnia is common with that med in the beginning, but if you stick it out, about a month, it gets better. So during that time, while you are adjusting to Strattera, you may need a sleep med. After that, it should be okay. That was my experience, at least.

Strattera is not really a stimulant like Adderall. It takes a few days for it to even work. I did find it helpful, but I stopped it just to reduce the amount of drugs I was on.

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sillia
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23994

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sillia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can sympathize with the concentration problems. I had to give up a major database project I was eager to do; most of my other work (writing, desktop formatting) is nearly impossible, I have difficulty reading anything lengthy, and I can't solve the littlest problem. I even have trouble sorting the mail.

I am getting more clear-headed days now, 7 months into treatment. I don't eat gluten, but I started that long before my diagnosis, so I don't think that's what's helping me now, though I'm convinced it's an important measure to take.

I'd suggest the following approaches:

- keep killing the Bb

- find out if you have hypercoagulation, which can affect blood flow to the brain

- add in all the nutrients & supps which appear to help brain function; some of these also provide other benefits and are recommended anyway.

- carefully evaluate what you are doing for DETOX to get those toxins out of your body, if there's something more you can do, it's worth it.

- see what you can do for neck issues--massage, stretching, gentle exercise limbering up the spine & neck; maybe a heat rub? Keep working at this.

- when you are well enough to do some weight bearing exercise, start gradually doing this (as per Burrascano) even if it's just a little. Exercise will support ALL of the other treatments you are doing.

I am only just now at the stage where I can exercise a little, and I am sure it will help. Currently I am getting about a weeks worth of 'clear-headed' days in a 3-week period, which is a big improvement from zero!

Posts: 261 | From Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mazou
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15319

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mazou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So many great replies, thank you!

Carol, yes I have just started a heavy dose of fish oils. It has only been about two weeks, but I am hoping for some improvement. Omega brite is great stuff! I had totally forgotten about it; thanks for reminding me.

TXMom, you are exactly right. The smartest I have ever been since getting hit with Lyme was when I was on IV Rocephin. I was actually reading math and anatomy books FOR FUN. So, the inflammation being brought down really helped. At this point, I need to stay off abx because they brought down so many other parts of my system. I am still healing gallbladder issues.

I do eat gluten free, and it has made a big difference in mood and other issues. My daughter has done amazingly well on a gluten free diet. It cleared up concentration issues for her immediately. So, maybe with time I will see some of those improvements as well. Thanks for the excellent info.

Hoosiers, I totally forgot about Huperzine! What a great supplement. I'll order some more today. Thanks for inspiring me to dive back into Buhner. I bet he has some great neuro suggestions. Strattera is non stimulant? I will keep it in the back of my mind as a possibility. Thanks so much.

Sillia, sorry you had to give up the project. I can totally relate. I think DETOX is definitely key, thanks, I will step up my program. The hypercoagulation is a very interesting idea. My father is on coumadin for this problem, so it may be in the family. I am thrilled to hear that you are having some clear weeks! Please keep me posted on your progress.

Thanks all.

Posts: 636 | From Saratoga County, NY | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TX Lyme Mom
Member # 3162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TX Lyme Mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mazou:
TXMom, you are exactly right. The smartest I have ever been since getting hit with Lyme was when I was on IV Rocephin. I was actually reading math and anatomy books FOR FUN. So, the inflammation being brought down really helped. At this point, I need to stay off abx because they brought down so many other parts of my system. I am still healing gallbladder issues.

It's really good to know that you "exercised your brain" while doing IV Rocephin because that is a simple way to "direct blood flow" in the brain in order to be sure that the Rocephin hits those areas of the brain which are most affected by Lyme.

I've heard of folks who do cross word puzzles while infusing their IVs to exercise their brains which helps to direct blood flow into the affected areas, and our daughter worked math problems for the same reason. At first, the mental exercise would literally trigger a migraine as the blood flow touched those areas of the brain with diminished blood flow, thanks to late-stage Lyme, but after a couple of weeks, she could stick with the task for a full hour without having to interrupt her infusion because of intolerable migraine pain.

It sounds as if you might need a longer course of Rocephin though. Are you aware that you can take Actigall (at double dose strength) to avoid the complication of gall stone formation from Rocephin? I'm surprised that your LLMD didn't know about this method of prophylaxis against "pseudocholelithiasis" formation.

What occurs is not really true gall stone formation, but "sludge" - ie, "pseudo-" gall stones. There's a lot of research in the medical literature on this very topic, as related to Rocephin. Rocephin is notorious for triggering a calcium "nidus" around which the sludge formation collects, but the good news is that Actigall -- at double dose, mind you -- prevents it very nicely. I have not heard of even one case of gall bladder surgery from Rocephin in any patient who took Actigall prophylactically. Here's a link to an article from PubMed as an example, but there are many other similar PubMed articles on this subject if you search for them.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15151550

You are right, too, about the importance of detox -- especially during Rocephin treatment. While it's not a popular method, for obvious reasons, coffee retention enemas are probably the cheapest and most effective means of protecting the liver during aggressive antibiotic therapy for Lyme. This "novel method of detox" can stop those awful skull-busting Lyme migraines dead in their tracks when nothing else -- and I mean nothing else, including the strongest Rx pain meds -- will touch the migraine pain. So, don't "poo poo" this idea -- pun intended. It's messy and inconvenient, but very, very, very effective and can save the expense of lots of less effective detox supplements, too.

This "unique" method of detox will also help to protect your liver and to keep your liver enzymes within a normal range, in spite of very aggressive antibiotic therapy. Google it to learn the correct method 'cause there's a right way and lots of wrong ways to do it.

http://www.google.com/search?q=coffee+retention+enema&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7_____en

Posts: 4563 | From TX | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sillia
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23994

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sillia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mazou--regarding hypercoagulation, I did not expect that I had this, as I have NO such family history and my diet has been low-fat plant based for years, however I was surprised!

My LLMD said most of his lyme patients have this, so we tested for it and sure enough--my fibrin is elevated above the normal range. I have read that the lyme bacteria are causing this--it helps to create a better environment for them.

If your hypercoagulation is bad enough, it might be appropriate to take heparin--apparently this helps people feel a lot better. In my case, it's not so high to warrant heparin so I am taking Boluoke lumbrokinase, an enzyme which you can read a lot about here on this forum.

I am slowly ramping up the dosage so it's too soon for me to say if that's helping. Unfortunately, I am taking so many things and working on so many aspects that in the end, I think it will be very hard to "know" for sure what helped! As long as I get better, it doesn't really matter to me, but it makes it hard to share information with others.

Posts: 261 | From Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Uh, I forgot what the question was . . . .

(there are just too few even lame openings for any kind of a joke here that I take what I can).

Seriously, though, look up all the information about Autism and Lyme as they have excellent suggestions for detox methods.

It comes down to a couple things:

FIRST- TREAT INFECTION(S)

then, along with doing that . . . ADDRESS TOXINS & NUTRITION

Get the toxins out at a SAFE speed; Prevent further toxic damage with good liver support and life-style. Deal with heavy metals and food sensitivities (gluten, dairy, corn, soy are the most common). Assess mold in your environment.

Limit work session to no longer than 20 minutes at one time. Then get up, walk, get some water, fresh air, look at the sky, hum a cheery tune. All this is vital to helping the brain. Twenty minutes is the max time to learn anything new.

My guitar teacher taught me that - and that is for the general population. Really. She got the idea for the way the Army teaches typing - 20 minutes at a time in one weekend course.

Learn something - then get up and do something totally different. The brain needs that.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
GOTU KOLA
--------------

Gotu Kola (not a cola) can calm the nervous system while also helping with alertness. It helps give a sense of well-being without feeling �wired� or �hungover�.

Of everything I've used over the years, I cannot say enough good about the wonderful effects I've seen - in many ways - from Gotu Kola.

=======================

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez

PubMed Search:

Gotu Kola � 257 abstracts

Centella asiatica � 245 abstracts

Gotu Kola, seizures � 3 abstracts

Gotu Kola, brain � 29 abstracts

Gotu Kola, cognitive � 8 abstracts

Gotu Kola, depression � 8 abstracts

Gotu Kola, anxiety - 6 abstracts

Gotu Kola, startle � one abstract

(#1: Protective antioxidant effect of Centella asiatica bioflavonoids on lead acetate induced neurotoxicity.)

====================

http://www.vrp.com/articles.aspx?page=LIST&ProdID=art799&search_in=articles

GOTU KOLA -- An Under-Appreciated Herb: Multifaceted Benefits on Microcirculation for Cardiovascular and Cognitive Health -- By Linda Fugate, PhD

The best nutrition in the world will not do anyone any good if it doesn�t reach our tissues. The gatekeeper to tissues is the microcirculatory system, which includes blood vessels smaller than 0.1 mm in diameter. The health of the microcirculatory system is now recognized as critical to the total health of the individual. (1)

Gotu Kola�s Effect on the Circulatory System . . . .

From Wound Healing to Brain Health . . . .

. . . Gotu Kola�s primary action is enhancement of the health of the circulatory system. Because circulation is critical to the health of the entire body, Gotu Kola offers benefits in a variety of conditions.

The antioxidant and collagen supportive functions of Gotu Kola are particularly important in enhancing healing of damaged tissues. . . .

- Full article � and citations � at link above.

=========================

From: The One Earth Herbal Sourcebook (Tillotson, et.al.)

http://oneearthherbs.squarespace.com/important-herbs/gotu-kola-leaf-centella-asiatica.html

GOTU KOLA LEAF (Centella asiatica,)

. . . bitter and astringent in taste and cooling in action. It is a brain and memory tonic, and an anti-poison, and very useful for wound and skin healing. . . .

. . . TAM doctors use it as a brain and memory tonic, and have found it especially useful in children.

In Nepal, during the ceremony for the first day of spring, gotu kola leaf is given to schoolchildren to help them in their studies by improving memory and concentration.

It is very safe and extremely effective. TAM doctors also use it to cleanse the system of toxins and reduce inflammation. TCM doctors use gotu kola to clear up boils and toxic fevers. . .

The primary effects of gotu kola include both wound healing and improvement of mental clarity and emotional balance. . . .

. . . � The Indian Central Council for Research on Ayurveda and Siddha, citing more than ten pharmacological and animal studies of gotu kola, also found evidence of the following characteristics:

CNS depressant [calming without causing drowiness], memory enhancer, �� anti-convulsant, �� antispasmodic, behavior and intelligence enhancer, and blood sugar regulator (Pandley et al., eds, 1996).

- Full chapter at link above.

===========================

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FDN/is_1_12/ai_n27234590?tag=content;col1

Centella asiatica

Alternative Medicine Review, March, 2007

-============================

One of the solutions mentioned (by Tillotson) for calming is Seven Forests Acorus Tablets. A search will bring up sources and the ITM link in the article takes you right to a research article about that.

I have taken many of the things suggested and, while no longer a child and not (exactly) ADD, I have a very sensitive system and would be glad to share my experiences with certain things if that helps.

===========================

From: The One Earth Herbal Sourcebook (Tillotson, et.al.)

http://oneearthherbs.squarespace.com/diseases/attention-deficit-disorder.html

Attention Deficit Disorder

================

www.itmonline.org/arts/add.htm

Chinese Herbal Treatment for Attention Deficit Disorder

Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) is a broad syndrome that may include hyperkinetic syndrome, hyperactivity, and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD).

=====================

Acorus was mentioned in an link above as being calming. Here is more on that:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez

PubMed Search:

Acorus � 153 abstracts

Neuroprotective herbs � 35 abstracts

==================

http://www.itmonline.org/arts/neuro.htm

Neuroprotective Herbs and Active Constituents Approaches to Preventing Degenerative Diseases

by Subhuti Dharmananda, Ph.D.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJS2LTsQde4

YOGA FOR YOUR EYES

It's nice to see what it's like on You Tube and then purchase for your daily use with your DVD player. You Tube denies him of his rightful due for all his research and work.

The DVD is very affordable - about the cost of one supplement - it's just about $20. and you get a book with it, too. The DVD is also much easier on your eyes - from your TV at a distance. The computer screen is much harder on eyes.

======================

http://www.yogalifestyle.com/DVMSSTYogaForYourEyes.htm

YOGA FOR YOUR EYES - DVD

This 1 hour and 15 minute DVD plus 65 page illustrated study guide and eye chart was the surprise hit at the recent New York Yoga Expo and evidently with good reason.

Meir Schneider, PhD, LMT is well known for his pioneering work with self healing in general eyesight improvement in particular.
-

mazou
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15319

TX Lyme Mom,

I totally had pseudo sludge! The ultrasound tech was scratching her head! But will all respect to my LLMD and his Physicians Assistant, they did put me on a heavy dose of Actigall, which helped a little. They let me stay on Rocephin for a looooong time, 4+ months, and for that I am grateful.

I am afraid I will have to try your detox method : ) I have been there before... Thanks for your help and suggestions. It means a lot.

My daughter just finished her lunch, so I will respond to everyone else's posts later today!

mazou
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15319

OK, I'm back. I get kinda busy with my three year old around!

Sillia. Wow. Boluoke lumbrokinase sounds amazing. I will look into it. I had a dream that enzymes were the answer, so maybe this will help. I started taking Wobenzym the day after my dream, and, you know, my brain feels a little less inflamed!

Keebler, I am totally with you on the Autism and Lyme research. I think it is great to glean information from the amazing Autism community, as they are so knowledgeable, and facing such similar symptoms.

20 minutes at a time then do something else? Maybe I'll try what I do with my daughter: a sensory break. I work with her on drawing or learning to put on her shoes, then we do something silly and physical, like rolling around.

Gotu Kola sounds good. I remember Queen Afua recommending it back in my natural health Brooklyn days. I'll dig some up.

And I will definitely look at yoga eyes on youtube. Thanks for the wonderful suggestions!

nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't forget Acetyl L Carnitine. It is given to people with dementia for memory and concentration. It also converts fat to muscle and helps with stamina. It is suggested to take it with Alpha Lipoic Acid which is a powerful antioxidant.

Other things thought to help are omega 3 fatty acids from fish oil, chia seed or flax seed, green tea, B vitamins and coconut oil.

I have tried everything including huperzine and lumbrokinase in combination with all of the above. It seems treating the infections is the only thing that really helps.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement