LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Can exercise cause a herx?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can exercise cause a herx?
bcb1200
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 25745

Icon 5 posted      Profile for bcb1200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So..another post from me. Sorry I've been so inquisitive lately.

I'm just trying to figure out how I went from feeling 95+% back in September to how I feel now. It is much better than pre diagnosis, but not nearly as good as it was. I have nausea at times (like now), a flare in ear symptoms, a flare in vision symptoms, twitching calves, etc.

There have only been a few changes to my routine. They are:

-Stopped 20 mg of Prozac cold turkey 5 weeks ago. Psychopharmacologist indicated Prozac was okay to stop cold turkey due to long half life. It takes 6 weeks to completely clear (I'm on week 5).

-Started Bart treatment. First switched back to Doxy (from Biaxin) and then added Flagyl. Overall felt okay other than some nausea from the Levaquin (Doxy doesn't do that to me. I stopped levaquin after 2 weeks due to tendon pain in my achilles. Started Rifampin on 10/4 and have been on it until today. Had to ocme off due to high liver enzymes.

-Found out today I have high liver enzymes due to Rifampin and must stop. Could this be the cause of how I've felt? Perhaps.

-Exercise...I didn't do any exercise during my first 4 months of treatment. (I know..I should have.) But I have started this week with 45 min or weights (high rep, low weight.) I worked out 4 times so far. Could this cause a herx, the theory being thta during my exrecise the buggers couldn't hide out from the abx.

Just wondering what everyone's thought was.

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began
5/10 dx'd, after 3 months numerous test and doctors

IgM Igenex +/CDC +
+ 23/25, 30, 31, 34, 41, 83/93

Currently on:

Currently at around 95% +/- most days.

Posts: 3134 | From Massachusetts | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trigal2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trigal2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just wanted to comment on the Prozac.

Because it does have a long half life some people can experience a mild withdrawal weeks after they stop. It is not until the med is completely out of your body that you might begin to notice some w/d symptoms. It is not uncommon but everyone is different.

As far as the exercise..yes, IME it can cause a herx... Hope you feel better!

Posts: 376 | From New Jersey | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoops123
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18333

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoops123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would think aerobic rather than anaerobic would cause more of a herx but I think either would, just to different degrees.
Posts: 749 | From State full of ticks | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6646

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes it does in my opinion. Not sure if its a herx or you are just stressing the pathogens and they are converting from one phase to another. When they convert they use energy causing fatigue and heat shock proteins causing inflammation. With me anything like exercise,fasting,caffeine causes a reaction. However if I was truly herxing I would get better after each. Thats why I think I just p*** it off causing conversion symptoms.
Posts: 433 | From new york | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JoesMom
Member # 15699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoesMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sure, it can cause a herx. Exercise causes changes (good ones of course) to your immune system. Any change in your immune system can cause the bugs to get active as that is what they respond to... and stress levels go up during lots of activities with exercise being one of them.

We went through all of this with my 25 yr old son and 28 yr old daughter... deja vu!! We had to keep on them to "Pace yourself!!" because their brains kept telling them that they had more energy than they physically had and so would go out and overdo it... it was hard but after a few times of stopping dead in their tracks and feeling like crap, they finally "got it" and learned to pace themselves...

If you overdo things (not just exercise but just overdo anything physical even shopping) it stresses the adrenals and they are already stressed from lyme... With the stressed adrenals there is only so much energy to draw on and once it's gone that's it for a bit...

One of the things their doctor recommended was that if you feel good and want to do a lot- it's just your lyme brain tricking you. Don't listen to it and do less- you will feel better for it.

Best to you have a good week.

Posts: 89 | From NC | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FuzzySlippers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FuzzySlippers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm just throwing this out there in case it might help you.

Did you happen to exercise the morning of, or before the bloodwork that was taken that showed elevated liver enzymes?

Exercise can cause a temporary elevation of liver enzymes on bloodwork.

There is a scientific explanation for this and I don't have the info at hand at the moment. Hubby (who is healthy) learned about it on a running forum after trying to search for reasons for elevated liver enzymes on routine bloodwork.

Turns out that he worked out before his bloodwork and that was the reason for the elevation alone.

If the above isn't applicable to you, and your liver enzymes are, indeed, elevated due to Rifampin or herxing and clearing of the Bart infection, it could just be that exercise caused a further temporary elevation in your liver enzymes and it was too much for you to handle at the moment.

Also, alot of people with infections are "exercise intolerant" in that their symptoms worsen with exercise. Lyme, Bart, Babs, Mycoplasmas, Candida -- I know that these will cause problems with exercise.

Hope this helps and hope you feel better.

Posts: 503 | From Maryland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
txgirl09
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21612

Icon 1 posted      Profile for txgirl09     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
4 times this week? You need to start slowly. Take at least a one day break in between work out days, but at first, you should really take like 3-4 days in between.
Posts: 490 | From TX- Go Cowboys! | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Rather than starting with 45 minutes, it's best to start with 4 to 5 minutes and, yes, with 3-4 rest days in between at first.

Even when better, it's better to do a little bit several times a day rather than it all at once. This is where the gym can be a bad influence, "that all-out, right now" approach.

Be sure to see the article near the end of the thread below about how the liver is flooded with toxins from exercise:

CAN EXERCISE "POLLUTE" YOUR BODY ?

Also see the article in that thread: WHEN WORKING OUT DOESN'T WORK OUT as there are ways to help that.

Dr. B's exercise guidelines for non-aerobics are included in this thread, along with many suggestions for support methods:
--------------------

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/77325

Topic: To everyone with CARDIAC symptoms please read !
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bcb1200
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 25745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcb1200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did my first exercise on 10/19 and didn't exercise until after my blood was drawn on 10/22 (blood drawn in the morning, exercised at noon.)

Since then I have exercised 2 more times. I usually do 30-45 min of weight training. Low weights with high reps. My heart rate stays low.

Thanks, all, for the approach. Remember that I feel pretty good most days. 90%+ or so. So I don't think this should be an issue.

The big thing I'm trying to figure out is why I don't feel quite as good the last 4-5 weeks (since starting Bart treatment..2 weeks Levaquin, 3 Rifampin) as I did the previous 2-3 months. And the Bart treatment hasn't affected my 4-5 remaining symptoms. So I guess I'm searching for answers.

Dr. B says you WILL NOT get well without exercise. I believe it. When I'm exercising, I'm imagining the abx and immune system penetrating into areas of my body it hasn't been able to get to with high enough concentrations and is thus killing bugs or at least stirring the pot. Perhaps that is a reason. Or perhaps it is just med side effects. Or a Bart herx.

Just grasping at straws as I feel I was better 5 weeks ago than I am now. Still not in a bad plance overall and much improved. But frustrated I can't seem to close the gap on the last mile.

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began
5/10 dx'd, after 3 months numerous test and doctors

IgM Igenex +/CDC +
+ 23/25, 30, 31, 34, 41, 83/93

Currently on:

Currently at around 95% +/- most days.

Posts: 3134 | From Massachusetts | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Tai Chi can be quite remarkable.

Tai Chi & Qi Gong can bring some amazing results for body and mind. It's very powerful but is very compatible with nearly any person as it can be adjusted. It can be done daily and does not get into the overwork issues as can some other exercises.

Some pilates moves, too, and some style of yoga can be done daily.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maradona
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maradona     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think is just a side effect of to much meds or yeast problem becouse of to much meds without a brake.Same thing it was with me it is 3rd week I'm of all meds on my own without LLMD aproval becouse called him and hi was not clear what to do and on the phone they don't know our body better . I'm just taking diflucan and oil of oregano and exercising every 2nd day.Suprising doing better and all symptoms better 80 % than before when I was on antibiotics.I think when we do allot of meds for a month we should have 1 week of to give time the body to get some strength and clean the mass
Posts: 482 | From Nebraska | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement