LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Another Flu shot question, for KIDS with Lyme in School

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Another Flu shot question, for KIDS with Lyme in School
momintexas
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 23391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momintexas   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know I know another flu shot thread!!

I know almost everyone here says no to the flu shots, and I agree but my concern is about my son.

He has Lyme and he is in school. I have heard of one LLMD saying yes get the shot and another that said absolutely not!

We have both gotten the flu shot every year prior to this one. Last year we got the regular one only. This was before we knew about Lyme.

My other huge concern this year is that the shot is combined.

I'd like to know what other parents that have kids with Lyme in school are thinking about this.
Obviously, exposure is high for flu being in school.

Posts: 1408 | From Tx | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kidsgotlyme
Member # 23691

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kidsgotlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am personally opposed to the flu vaccine, but if you feel like that the right thing to do, then you shouldn't let others make you feel bad about your decision.

I DO think that you should read both sides of the controversy and THEN make your decision.

--------------------
symptoms since 1993 that I can remember. 9/2018 diagnosed with Borellia, Babesia Duncani, and Bartonella Hensalae thru DNA Connections.

Posts: 1470 | From Tennessee | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
I've had several severe attacks from vaccines, one of which brought on a seizure disorder that remains more that 20 years after the vaccine assault. Having undiagnosed lyme for years did not help but, clearly, from one minute to the next, it was clear that vaccines clobbered me and resulted in permanent damage.

Twice, flu vaccines landed me in bed for a year at a time and I had to learn how to walk, talk, read and write TWICE. It took me a few disasters to make the connection to vaccines as an adult.

So, for the flu, I am opposed to vaccines but not so much regarding the science of it as the added mercury, aluminum and other toxic additives.

� Cross search vaccines with Russell Blaylock, MD - he is a neurologist who has written and lectured extensively about toxins in foods but also about vaccines.

He has articles, books and parts of lectures you can find on YouTube. Please, do not proceed until you study Blaylock's work.

I would also search out this organization:
--------------------------------

www.lymeinducedautism.com

Lyme Induced Autism
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cactus
Member # 7347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cactus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My son and I see the same LLMD - she says no to the flu shot for him.

Her thinking is that his immune system is in a fragile state of balance, and that we don't want to throw it out of whack any further. (That's my non-medical paraphrasing, obviously.)

She suggested that we go ahead and prepare for if/when he does get the flu - order supplements ahead of time, etc - to try to lessen any impact it has on him.

My son has other complicating factors (asthma, severe allergies) so this was a huge decision for us. Traditional thinking would say go with the flu shot.

But - for a lot of reasons, we we are going with no shot. It's our first time skipping it, although we didn't do the H1N1 shot last year, we did do the regular flu shot.

--------------------
�Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?� - A.A. Milne

Posts: 1987 | From No. VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Remember that all vaccines are loaded with many other chemicals. Not about vaccines but chemicals, in general -

in today's news:
--------------

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/10/26/senate.toxic.america.hearing/index.html?hpt=T2

Everyday chemicals may be harming kids, panel told

By the CNN Wire Staff - October 26, 2010

Newark, New Jersey (CNN) --

Excepts:

Of the 84,000 chemicals on the market today -- many of which are in objects that people come into contact with every day -- only about 1 percent of them have been studied for safety, Sen. Frank Lautenberg said Tuesday. . . .

. . . Dr. Sanjay Gupta, CNN's chief medical correspondent, also addressed the hearing, relaying what he learned as he researched a CNN special called "Toxic America."

Gupta said he was surprised to find out that only about 200 chemicals in use today have undergone testing required by the EPA. "I'd always assumed government watchdogs had evaluated and signed off on the safety of the chemicals we encounter in our lives," he said.

Gupta said, "What we don't know can really hurt us. And there's a lot we don't know." . . .

============================

http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2010/toxic.america/?hpt=tv/index.html

Toxic America � CNN Special Report
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your son's LLMD would be the best one to answer this question for you. They can review the benefits and risks of his individual situation to help you make the best decision.
Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
You might search out a LL ND (naturopathic doctor) who would know safe steps to supporting your son's immune system.
------------

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/2/13964?

Topic: How to find a LL ND (naturopathic doctor), acupuncturist, etc.

Includes how to find an ILADS-educated LL ND, an Acupuncturist, a doctor of Oriental Medicine (O.M.D.), or a doctor of Ayurvedic Medicine (D.Ay.), certified herbalists or nutritionists, etc.

===============================

In your state:

http://www.txanp.org/

The Texas Association of Naturopathic Physicians.

If you call your local autism support groups, you will probably also find the names of some NDs who are more proficient in matters of vaccines, flu, immune support, etc. Not all NDs are trained in homeopathy, so if you want that approach, be sure to ask up front. Still, there are many tools to consider.

================================

http://www.holisticonline.com/remedies/flu/flu_homeopathy.htm

(Symptom relief) Homeopathy for Flu / Cold

================================

http://www.rockwellnutrition.com/muco-coccinum-by-genestra-homeopathic-flu-support.html

Muco Coccinum by Genestra (Homeopathic Flu support)

--------
http://www.rockwellnutrition.com/Childrens-Oscillococcinum-by-Boiron.html

Children's Oscillococcinum by Boiron

----------
http://www.rockwellnutrition.com/XLear-Nasal-Wash-by-XLear.html

XLear Nasal Wash by XLear Inc.

----------
http://herb-pharm.com/index.php?action=viewglycerites

Herb Pharm Tinctures - Herbal Glycerites (alcohol-free)
-

Tammy N.
Member # 26835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tammy N.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I NEVER EVER NEVER EVER TAKE A FLU SHOT. That's just me.

A natural approach you may want to consider: Take oscillococcinum pellets every week (pick a set day) all thru flu season. You only need a few pellets (not the entire little vile). And remember to take away from food or beverages by about 20 minutes.

Take care,
Tammy

Posts: 2238 | From East Coast | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Garlic and onions in foods at every meal can also help. Really. Lots of vegetables at breakfast, too. Alongside eggs, they just seem natural.
-

IckyTicky
Member # 21466

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IckyTicky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We will not be getting any flu vaccines, our three children have Lyme (oldest in public school) and we just won't take the risks with the vaccine.
Our LLMD says "NO" too.
I think if our kids get the flu, then let their immune systems try to deal with it instead of a vaccine hampering their natural immune system.
As a preventative, Elderberry syrup.

--------------------
IGM: 18+, 23+, 30+, 31+++, 34+, 39IND, 41++, 58+++, 66+, 83-93IND
IGG: 31+, 39IND, 41+
Also positive for Mycoplasma Pneumoniae and RMSF.
Whole family of 5 dx with Lyme.

Posts: 1014 | From Texas | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momintexas
Member # 23391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momintexas   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you so much for all of the great replies!!

We are walking such a fine line with him right now, that I'm afraid to rock the boat.

Our LLMD said no way to the vaccine, but I heard about another LLMD telling patients to get one, which really surprised me.

I really appreciate all of you weighing in with your thoughts!!

Posts: 1408 | From Tx | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
This is an excellent book. I highly recommend reading it before starting any kind of garlic therapy. It is full of great detail.
-------------------------

http://tinyurl.com/33nes2s

The Healing Power of Garlic - by Paul Bergner � 290 pages, 1995

Amazon has this for just $4.00 right now

Page 69: Caution regarding use in the presence of inflammation and irritation.

Pages 180 � 186: discussion regarding how to figure out when Incompatibility is an issue. Garlic is not for everyone, or not for all times.

(While the author focuses on matters of garlic, remember that if the hot herb garlic is not a good match for you, there are many other things to consider from the cool herb category, such as Olive Leaf Extract, Coptis, etc. - this is where a ND can be so very valuable. They KNOW all this.

==========================

http://tinyurl.com/45k24y

Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 1996 Jan;136(1):146-54.
Links

Protective effects of garlic and related organosulfur compounds on acetaminophen-induced hepatotoxicity in mice.

=========================

www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/influenza/peopleevents/pandeAMEX89.html

Spanish Flu of 1918 - PBS - Searching for Cures

Excerpt:

. . . For some, onions were looked upon as a potential savior. A Pennsylvania woman boasted of serving up onion omelets, onion salads, and onion soup with every meal. Not one of her eight children contracted the flu.

Meanwhile, a four-year-old girl from Portland, Oregon was said to have recovered fully from the flu after her mother dosed her with onion syrup and buried her from head-to-toe for three days in glistening raw onions. . . .
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Absolutely excellent, with fabulous recipes the whole family will love:
----------

http://www.borders.com/online/store/TitleDetail?sku=0892818905

THE SPICE LILIES: Eastern Secrets to Healing With Ginger, Turmeric, Cardamom, and Galangale

- by Susanne Poth & Giona Sauer

- Description: The first book to bring together all the medical, culinary, and historical information on this amazing plant family.

Provides complete information on a family of spices scientifically proven to improve digestion, lower cholesterol, reduce heart disease and strokes, eliminate free radicals, and relieve nausea.

- Includes more than 40 delicious recipes--from the exotic to the simple--using these spices.

- Learn how to make your signature own curry - and variations.

The book critic's review is packed with interesting detail of its own:

http://www.borders.com/online/store/TitleDetail?detail=whatCriticsThink&sku=0892818905&id=51629422#back
-

kidsgotlyme
Member # 23691

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kidsgotlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I put two garlic pills in my daughter's regimen of supplements she takes every day. You could try that to help him fight off the flu bug.

Someone mentioned elderberry syrup. We swear by that stuff! It really helps shorten an illness. We use the brand called Sambucol. Their are other brands out on the market, but that's our favorite one.

--------------------
symptoms since 1993 that I can remember. 9/2018 diagnosed with Borellia, Babesia Duncani, and Bartonella Hensalae thru DNA Connections.

Posts: 1470 | From Tennessee | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement