LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » "Common Spice Kills C.Difficile in Lab Dish"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "Common Spice Kills C.Difficile in Lab Dish"
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought you all might be interested in this article I read on Medscape.

Common Spice Kills C. Difficile in Lab Dish

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) Oct 20 - The spice that lends its brilliant yellow-orange color to mustard, curry powder and other foods could ward off potentially life-threatening infections with Clostridium difficile, according to research presented this week at the American College of Gastroenterology's annual meeting in San Antonio.

"For the last 2000 years people have been using curcumin and we haven't found bacteria resistant to it," Dr. Rattan Patel of the Cedars Sinai Medical Center/VA Medical Center in Los Angeles, who conducted the study, told Reuters Health. Curcumin is found in turmeric, a spice commonly used in Indian cuisine; it's also a U.S. Food and Drug Administration-approved food coloring agent.

Dr. Patel and his team found that extracts of regular grocery-store turmeric inhibited the growth of C. difficile in vitro, at concentrations that would be easily obtained in the colon by adding the spice to food or consuming it in capsule form.

C. difficile is resistant to many commonly used antibiotics; one treatment approach now being tested involves transplanting feces from a healthy person into the ill person's colon in order to restore normal bacterial balance. But the new study suggests that turmeric could help prevent these infections in the first place.

Dr. Patel said in an interview that he undertook his study after researchers from Singapore reported that Indian patients had the lowest rates of C. difficile infection.

Working in the laboratory of Dr. Sydney Finegold, Dr. Patel and his colleagues tested different formulations and concentrations of curcumin against 21 strains of C. difficile. Growth of all of the strains was inhibited by curcumin at a concentration of 128 mcg/mL.

By giving people up to 4 g/day of curcumin, Dr. Patel said, it's possible to obtain a concentration of curcumin in the stool well above the concentrations that inhibited C. difficile growth. In regions where curcumin is a regular dietary ingredient, he added, people typically consume 2 to 4 g/day, and up to 12 g/day can be safely consumed.

Dr. Patel said he is now working with UCLA to develop a clinical trial to test curcumin for preventing C. difficile infection. He expects he would need about 500 patients for each arm of the study, which would mean collaborating with other hospitals to find enough patients.

Key questions that still must be resolved, he added, include figuring out whether curcumin affects the absorption of other medications, and whether it would be best to use the spice in capsules or as a food additive.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOW!! That's cool. I never got c.diff but if I'd known this I would have taken curcumin while in treatment for Lyme.

I do take it now and I think it does help with inflammation.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jwall
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22999

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jwall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where do you buy capsules? I have been meaning to try this for inflammation and now that I know it helps prevent c. difficile, even better!
Posts: 618 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sk8ter
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sk8ter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
UCLA has a curcumin that they invented with a different delivery system. They did a 10 year long study on it and had clinical studies done on their Alzhiemer, Down's, and neuro inflammatory patients. They had great results.
The name of it is Longvida.

Posts: 871 | From orange county, ca. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D Bergy
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for D Bergy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There really is no reason not to take Turmeric. The list of benefits is probably longer than any other food product out there. So long, I cannot even remember them all.

Lyme or not, I think everyone should consider using Turmeric in cooking, and/or capsules on a regular basis.

Dan

Posts: 2919 | From Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17479421

Nat Prod Res. 2007 Apr;21(4):328-33.

Anti-babesial compounds from Curcuma xanthorrhiza.

====================

http://www.tillotsoninstitute.com/important-herbs/turmeric-root-curcuma-longa.html

TURMERIC ROOT (Curcuma longa)

. . . Turmeric root is bitter in taste and warming in action. It strongly reduces inflammation and mucus in all parts of the body, protects the liver, lungs and intestines .
. . .

� . . . If you have bile duct obstruction, gall stones, or stomach ulcers: due to mucin-reducing effects, do not use the concentrated extract (curcumin) or oil in high doses. Use turmeric as a spice freely. . . .

. . . full article at link above.

From �The One Earth Herbal Sourcebook� (Tilltoson, et.al.)

===================

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez

PubMed Search:

Turmeric - 1517 abstracts

Curcumin � 3176 abstracts

Curcumin, pain � 25 abstracts

Curcumin, depression � 19 abstracts

Curcumin, anxiety � 5 abstracts

Curcumin, diabetes - 113 abstracts

Curcumin, inflammation � 291 abstracts

Curcumin, adrenal � 18 abstracts

Curcumin, cardiac � 63 abstract

==================

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19540859

Xu Y, Lin D, Li S, Li G, Shyamala SG, Barish PA, Vernon MM, Pan J, Ogle WO.

Curcumin reverses impaired cognition and neuronal plasticity induced by chronic stress.

Neuropharmacology. 2009 Sep;57(4):463-71.

===================

From Vitamin Research Products:

http://tinyurl.com/y8bd9k2

Curcumin Prevents Some Stress-Related Changes

Excerpts:

A recently published study investigated the effects of curcumin, a constituent of the botanical turmeric, on changes in cognition and memory caused by stress. . . .

In this new study, researchers investigated the effect of curcumin supplementation on stress-induced learning defects in mice. . . .

The results of the study showed that curcumin reversed memory deficits in a dose dependent manner, meaning increasing dosages of curcumin provided increasingly improved memory in the mice.

In addition, curcumin reversed the stress-induced increase in the levels of serum corticosterone, the primary hormone secreted during the stress response.

The researchers also found that the effectiveness of curcumin was similar to the effects of a tri-cyclic antidepressant.

. . . inhibited changes due to corticosterone-induced toxicity including preserving nerve cell connections, and inhibiting the corticosterone-induced activation of the enzyme calcium/calmodulin kinase II and stimulated glutamate receptor expression, which play a role in neurotransmitter secretion and certain kinds of memory and learning.

The researchers concluded, �Thus, curcumin may be an effective therapeutic for learning and memory disturbances as was seen within these stress models, and

its neuroprotective effect was mediated in part by normalizing the corticosterone response, resulting in down-regulating of the phosphorylated calcium/calmodulin kinase II and glutamate receptor levels.�
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jwall:
Where do you buy capsules? I have been meaning to try this for inflammation and now that I know it helps prevent c. difficile, even better! [/QB]

You can get them at any health food store or online.

I just bought some a few weeks ago at Vitamin World.. double strength. 1000 mg each. I take two a day.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is good to know. 4 grams is a lot so capsules would probably be the best way to get enough. I am already taking so many capsules I don't think I could swallow any more. But I will try to put more of it on my food. I had curried chicken the last two nights before I read this.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use a tincture. I don't take it all the time, but I teach pilates, so I use it for muscle soreness when I overdo it.

It is an ingredient in another supp I take, so I get some of it every day ....

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D Bergy
Member # 9984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for D Bergy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about brain cell regeneration? Does that sound appealing, especially to a person who has cognitive decline from Lyme.

This is a preliminary study, but it is just one more potential benefit.

Curcumin stimulates proliferation of embryonic neural progenitor cells and neurogenesis in the adult hippocampus.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18362141

Dan

Posts: 2919 | From Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haley
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great information. I may have to add one more supplement to the list.
Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement