LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Biaxin vs Zith

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Biaxin vs Zith
bcb1200
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 25745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcb1200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, I've been on Biaxin pretty much since June.

Looks like I'm going to be adding Bactrim DS to the regimen in a few weeks.

I see most take it with Zith, but will Biaxin do as good of a job?

I'd. Like to avoid Zith if possible. Too many ear issues already.

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began
5/10 dx'd, after 3 months numerous test and doctors

IgM Igenex +/CDC +
+ 23/25, 30, 31, 34, 41, 83/93

Currently on:

Currently at around 95% +/- most days.

Posts: 3134 | From Massachusetts | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joalo
Member # 12752

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joalo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Up.

--------------------
Sick since January 1985. Misdiagnosed for 20 years. Tested CDC positive October 2005. Treating since April 2006.

Posts: 3228 | From Somewhere west of the Mississippi | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
onbam
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Think biaxin has the same ear issues, but not sure...
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jkmom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14004

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jkmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like Biaxin better than zith for my muscle twitching.

My daughter is taking Biaxin and Bactrim.

Posts: 984 | From US | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BackinStOlaf
Member # 23725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BackinStOlaf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From what I've read, Biaxin is a better drug orally than Zith. Wish I knew this before as I took Zith for months.

Also, PLEASE lookout for any strange side effects from Bactrim, like a headache, rash or fever!! very important!

--------------------
First Symptom 9/09
Multiple docs, negative Labcorp test
LLMD: 1/10
Positive Igenex/CDC test
Treatment 2/10
2/10-8/10 Amox, ceftin, zith, flagyl
Currently: Bicillin, Minocycline, still dealing with severe breathing issues

-

Posts: 1121 | From New York, New York | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
17hens
Member # 23747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 17hens     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter was on Bactrim and Biaxin for a few months. Worked fine.

--------------------
"My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Psalms 73:26

bit 4/09, diagnosed 1/10

Posts: 3043 | From PA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My doctor prescribed Biaxin instead of Zithromax.
Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been on both, at different times and had good results when used in the right protocols. Toward the end of my year of zith (all my insurance would cover) my white count went down, so my LLMD wanted me off anyway.

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Kete-tracker
Member # 17189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Kete-tracker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quote:
"From what I've read, Biaxin is a better drug orally than Zith."

Depends on what you're fighting, 'Back'!
Most lower respiratory bacterial infections are pummeled by azithromycin.
On the other hand, "Zith"- as you folks like to refer to it here- is not particularily effective against borrelia Burgdefori BY ITSELF. (See the various abx reviewed in "Dr. B's guidelines".)

However, when it is combined with something like cefuroxime axetil (Ceftin), the combo is more efficacious than 'Ceftin' alone, & consequently is a very popular combo used by many LLMDs.

Getting back to the original inquiry made by 'bcb', it's common to combine clarithromycin (Biaxin) with an agent that raises the inter-cellular pH levels up (to be less acidic), such as hydroxychloroquine (Plaquenil) or Amantadine HCl (Symmetrel).

This alkaline "buffering" of the tissues is thought to help the effectiveness of the 'Biaxin' in combating Lyme bacteria within the cells.
(I'm surprised no-one had pointed this out yet)

However, as with any drug, there Are risks. For example, extended use (months) of Plaquenil at higher dosing levels MAY have a detrimental effect on vision (even permanent damage) and should be discussed with your doctor. An initial "base-line" vision check is recommended to detect any problems early on.

Posts: 1233 | From Dover, NH | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bcb1200
Member # 25745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcb1200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm on Amantadine with my Biaxin and have been for months for the reasons you state.

I asked about Biaxin vs Zith because I always see people mention Mepron/Zith or Bactrim DS / Zith combos. Yet I'd prefer to stay on Biaxin because a)I know I do well on it and b)I don't need any more tinnitus and I hear Zith can cause it.

I'll be adding Bactrim DS in a few weeks and probably Rifabutin and was wondering if Biaxin used in combination with these two is as effective as Zith.

Also, since I've been on Biaxin for 4 months, is it time to switch it up?

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began
5/10 dx'd, after 3 months numerous test and doctors

IgM Igenex +/CDC +
+ 23/25, 30, 31, 34, 41, 83/93

Currently on:

Currently at around 95% +/- most days.

Posts: 3134 | From Massachusetts | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DebraKelly
Member # 24925

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DebraKelly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my doctor put me on Biaxin instead of zith only because my medical wouldn't pay for zith. Although, Biaxin worked great with Bactrim, then with malarone.

It was not a pleasant experience, with the ears, nausea, etc. but it did work very well.

The best was adding accupuncture. It made me get through when it got really bad. I highly recommend it.

Good luck!

Posts: 65 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Remember to Smile
Unregistered

Icon 9 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beware! Both can cause permanent ear damage. Beware!

I was on zith briefly, then stopped it due to bad tinnitus. Hadn't had tinnitus issues at all until 2010.

Switched to Biaxin, and tinnitus remained at same "zith level" for several months.

Next, increased Mepron dosing and felt very good! Hooray! Long-standing pains upon taking deep breaths were GONE for the very first time after decades with that babesiosis symptom. Wow! I actually experienced why others suggest one take a deep breath. It can be quite pleasant!

Then, tinnitus got worse. I decided I didn't want to risk having tinnitus like this or even worse for the rest of my life. Consulted with my LLMD and stopped Biaxin.

Ultra-loud tinnitus episodes ceased, but base-level ringing is unending & worse overall. Have been advised this may be permanent, or may clear with Borrelia treatment.

And, yup, pains all over are back every time I take a deep breath or exert myself.

Gotta smile anyway, for the endorphins...

Sophie1234
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26412

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sophie1234     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
May I ask, are we talking about these combos in treating Babesia specifically? Or Lyme, Babesia, etc?

The reason I ask is that I am currently trying to focus on Babesia; am on Malarone, Artemisinin and have just added Zithromax. It seems to be giving me tummy issues, and I do really well with Biaxin.

Can I substitute the Biaxin for the Zith, and stay with the Malarone and Art? Thanks!

Posts: 113 | From CA | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lululymemom
Member # 26405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lululymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes, you can substitute Zith with Biaxin.. Any macrolide abx will work with Malarone. Many can't tolerate Zith and use Biaxin. This combo is usually used to treat Babesia.

--------------------
IGM 41 IND, 83-93+ IGG 31 IND,34 IND, 41++, 58+, 83-93 IND

31 Epitope test neg.

Bartonella henselae 1:100

Posts: 2027 | From British Columbia | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Remember to Smile
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sophie1234, you're wise to tackle babesosis. It may be the key to many LD patients who haven't achieved long-term remission.

Malarone, zith, and artemisinin are all helpful in battling Babs.

Mepron is a parallel for Malarone. For Mepron to be effective, patients must take it with zith, Biaxin, or a similar Rx. Also, the dose must be ingested w/ at least 25 to 26 grams of total dietary fat to be effective because Mepron is "barely water soluble."

When I eat the appropriate amount of fat, I do fine. If the meal is a little short, a handful of sunflower seeds, almonds, or walnuts can bring up the fat content in a healthy way. Having quacamole as a dinner appetizer is good, too.

If I feel a little chemical nausea after Breakfast or Dinner dosing, a slice of Ezekial bread or some brown rice crackers curtails the problem swiftly.

Malarone may be similar, but I don't know.

Artemisinin should be taken on an empty stomach, at least 2 hours away from Rx abx.

It is my understanding that zith offers more benefits to LD patients than Biaxin, so if you're tolerating it, keep going!
Smile

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement