LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » How to Balance hormones

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How to Balance hormones
Lenire
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26766

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lenire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please help!!!??

What kind of doctor do i go to this for this.

Is this lyme related. [Frown]

Posts: 106 | From Wales, RI usa | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyme in Putnam
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11561

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lyme in Putnam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went to my gyn and an endocrinologist. I wanted to get bioidentical hormones, and if it comes down to it, I'll go that route instead of artificial stuff. Lyme enhances every symptom you have, so if you go through hormonal monthly symptoms it'll get worse around cycle time. Good luck. I sympathize. feel better.

--------------------
He took u to it, He'll you through

Posts: 2837 | From NE. | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Remember to Smile
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thru the Endometriosis Association, I located a gyn in my State who specializes in endocrinology and is "Lyme-friendly." Wonderful. Best doctor appt I'd had in ages!

See Endometriosis Association

You may also wish to list your specific sx complaints for your LLMD. Your LLMD should be able to tell which sx will clear easily with your LD tx, and which sx need to be addressed by an endocrinologist soon.

Best wishes,
Smile

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lenire
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26766

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lenire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So far i havent seen a lyme doc who has been able to tell me much.. [Frown]
Posts: 106 | From Wales, RI usa | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lululymemom
Member # 26405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lululymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had a major imbalance with my estrogen levels and I started using Chasteberry(Vitex) It balances hormones naturally and it's very cheap to buy $3-$4.00...

You can find it on Iherb and Vitacost.

--------------------
IGM 41 IND, 83-93+ IGG 31 IND,34 IND, 41++, 58+, 83-93 IND

31 Epitope test neg.

Bartonella henselae 1:100

Posts: 2027 | From British Columbia | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hambone
Member # 29535

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hambone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lululymemom:
I have had a major imbalance with my estrogen levels and I started using Chasteberry(Vitex) It balances hormones naturally and it's very cheap to buy $3-$4.00...

You can find it on Iherb and Vitacost.

Does this really help?

Any side effects?

I just ordered some because I can't take this hormone imbalance crapola anymore [rant] .

I sure hope it helps.

Posts: 1142 | From South | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lululymemom
Member # 26405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lululymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have used this product now for over 4 months and have had no side effects that I am aware of.

My reason for using it has to do with fibroids and cysts, for which I haven't had a follow up ultrasound for yet. IMO if you use it according to directions, you should have some relief.

--------------------

31 Epitope test neg.

Posts: 2027 | From British Columbia | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeorsomething
Member # 16359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeorsomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Verrrry difficult to deal with this aspect of lyme and verrrry difficult to resolve without first clearing/reducing infectious load....

--------------------
"Whatever can go wrong will go wrong."

Posts: 2062 | From CT | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hambone
Member # 29535

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hambone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lululymemom:
I have used this product now for over 4 months and have had no side effects that I am aware of.

My reason for using it has to do with fibroids and cysts, for which I haven't had a follow up ultrasound for yet. IMO if you use it according to directions, you should have some relief.

Thanks.

I have cysts and possibly endo now, too.

My LLMD had me try ashwagandha ( as adrenal support and hoping that would help increase progesterone ) and I did well tolerating it, but I had no idea it is also a blood thinner. This is not good when you already have heavy periods. My first period after starting the ashwagandha has been hell.on.earth. and I'm sure I lost all the iron I spent months trying to increase.

I just can't catch a break. [shake]

Posts: 1142 | From South | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lululymemom
Member # 26405

Good point! Blood thinners needs to be avoided if you already have heavy periods. Even the A-Bart I was taking had garlic in it which is also a blood thinner...

--------------------

31 Epitope test neg.

lajamur
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lajamur     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take bioidentical progesterone for a severe progesterone deficiency and I feel it has practically saved my life.

Quality of life pre-hormone replacement was terrible. Progesterone gave me back the upper hand in the lyme battle. Took a while to heal my adrenals though.

I got my hormones from a holistic endocrinologist in NY, and now that I live in Cali my doctor out here just refills that same prescription for me.

--------------------
Symptoms since age 4
IGM positive Western Blot (Bb)
PCR positive Spiro Stat (Anaplasma)
Suspect babs and bart

Posts: 226 | From Currently in Los Angeles, originally from Malvern, PA. | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hambone
Member # 29535

quote:
Originally posted by lajamur:
I take bioidentical progesterone for a severe progesterone deficiency and I feel it has practically saved my life.

Quality of life pre-hormone replacement was terrible. Progesterone gave me back the upper hand in the lyme battle. Took a while to heal my adrenals though.

I got my hormones from a holistic endocrinologist in NY, and now that I live in Cali my doctor out here just refills that same prescription for me.

My doctor prescribed Prometrium, which is a prescription bio-identical progesterone. Is this a good one to take?

I'm scared of it, to be honest, but am getting really really desperate.

I'm confused as to the difference of Prometrium to other bio-identical progesterones.

The over-the-counter P creams make me feel worse. I've tried Dr. John Lee's brand and ProGest. Both made me [dizzy]

lajamur
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lajamur     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hambone,

I THINK prometrium is the same as what I take EXCEPT that if I remember correctly it only comes in one dose, so you can't control how much you're taking quite as easily.

I get mine from a compounding pharmacy. They give me capsules with the exact dose my doctor prescribes.

I wouldn't be scared of it -- if it doesn't agree with you, you'll know, and you can just stop taking it.

I have felt nothing but relief from it. It helps me so much with anxiety, dizziness, nausea, mood swings, etc. I am like a normal person now.

I have tried OTC progesterone creams and sublingual progesterone and neither worked for me. For some reason the oral/pill form is what I need. Something about it crossing the blood/brain barrier I believe.

--------------------
Symptoms since age 4
Suspect babs and bart

Posts: 226 | From Currently in Los Angeles, originally from Malvern, PA. | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hambone
Member # 29535

quote:
Originally posted by lajamur:
Hambone,

I THINK prometrium is the same as what I take EXCEPT that if I remember correctly it only comes in one dose, so you can't control how much you're taking quite as easily.

I get mine from a compounding pharmacy. They give me capsules with the exact dose my doctor prescribes.

I wouldn't be scared of it -- if it doesn't agree with you, you'll know, and you can just stop taking it.

I have felt nothing but relief from it. It helps me so much with anxiety, dizziness, nausea, mood swings, etc. I am like a normal person now.

I have tried OTC progesterone creams and sublingual progesterone and neither worked for me. For some reason the oral/pill form is what I need. Something about it crossing the blood/brain barrier I believe.

This is good to know. Thanks! I just may bite the bullet and try it.

Now, one more question.

What are the risks of taking progesterone if you are not very active because of Lyme? How great are the risks of stroke and blood clots?

I worry about this now since I'm kind of sedentary. Is it risky to add progesterone if you're a couch potato?

Don't get me wrong. I WANT to exercise and do things. Just too weak to get up and do it. I don't want to set myself up for blood clots.

( I'm a worry wart [bonk] )

lajamur
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24593

Hi Hambone,

AS I UNDERSTAND IT (and again this is just my own personal understanding/opinion), progesterone does not increase your risk of stroke, blood clot, etc.

What really puts you at risk for that is synthetic estrogen, as in regular birth control pills. I think premarin is also dangerous, but that is synthetic PROGESTIN -- not bioidentical progesterone.

IMO progesterone is very safe.

--------------------
Symptoms since age 4
Suspect babs and bart

Abxnomore
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, it is safe when it's bio identical.

Any ACAM doctor could help you balance your hormones as well as a good ND.

IMO, it's hard to find a GYN or Endo who will not give you the big pharma stuff.

http://www.acamnet.org/site/c.ltJWJ4MPIwE/b.5420171/k.76F0/Integrative_Medicine_From_ACAM__the_voice_of_integrative_medicine.htm

Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hambone
Member # 29535

Whew!

Ok. I'm going to try it.

Crossing my fingers and toes I tolerate it and it helps.

Thanks!!!

Hambone
Member # 29535

Prometrium = Epic Fail [Frown]

I took one 100mg pill last night before bed. I kept waking up feeling weird. I got up to use the restroom and WHAM!!!!!!!!!!

Vertigo like I'd never seen before. It felt like the world was tilted and I was hanging on for dear life.

I'm typing this from bed now [Frown]
Can't get up due to severe dizziness and feel soooo drunk.

The bottle of Prometrium says, "May cause dizziness".

They were NOT kidding.

I just cannot have anything go in my favor anymore. Not one thing has gone right for me. I sure wish I knew what I did to deserve all this:(

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hambone... I'm very sorry to hear this!!! Hope it goes away soon!!

--

A good book on the hormones is The Hormone Solution by Thierry Hertoghe. It talks about ALL of your body's hormones.

My LLMD got mine all balanced. I really think it helped me get well.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
desertwind
Member # 25256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for desertwind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Natural Progesterone cream has been a life saver for me - took away a ton of symptoms that I could not figure were lyme or hormones. But either way I am much better taking the cream.

I have an appointment with a Gyno. who specializes in bio-identicals and will go that route if warrented. SHe is not a LLGyno but that does not concern me as I still have my LLMD to bounce things off of. SO much of this stuff is trial and error...

Posts: 1671 | From Tick Infested New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hambone
Member # 29535

How did he get yours balanced? Is it in this book?

I ordered Vitex Chasteberry, but dummy me, I ordered the kind that's not alcohol free ( slaps forehead ).

I truly feel like if I could get my hormones in balance, I could deal with this better and fight the Lyme harder.

I am worn to a nub. I try and try and try to do what's right and it always backfires. It's as if I am meant to suffer and nothing I do will change that.

I prayed and prayed and prayed about whether or not I was to take this, and I had a weird peace about it, so I took it. And this is what happens.

I really don't mean to whine. This is just so darn unfair. I feel like some of us are punished more than vicious criminals.

Hambone
Member # 29535

quote:
Originally posted by desertwind:
Natural Progesterone cream has been a life saver for me - took away a ton of symptoms that I could not figure were lyme or hormones. But either way I am much better taking the cream.

I tried the cream, too. It made me weak and depressed, so that's why my doctor had me try Prometrium.

It makes no sense to me. I am VERY low in progesterone. I need it. But supplementing kicks my tail.

desertwind
Member # 25256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for desertwind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Humm..just goes to show how differnt we all are.

I accidently had bought progesterone cream with phytoestrogens in it (all from plant form) and my hormones got all wacky. My ovarian cysts got really bad as well as my endo.

Once I went back to straight progesterone cream I felt "balanced" again.

I hear you about the tying and trying to do whats right but not getting the results you want and expect. I think all of us have been there - hope things get better for you....I really think that when my hormones are balanced I can work more effectively on getting rid of lyme which is why I want to go the bio-identiacal route to ensure I am at the best/optimal hormonal balance.

Posts: 1671 | From Tick Infested New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement