LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Infectious Disease doctor?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Infectious Disease doctor?
rerae
Member # 28438

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rerae     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been searching for doctors to treat my lymes, but unfortunately, all of the doctors I have been told about are not covered by my insurance. I did, however, get a list of infectious disease doctors in my area that I can see. I was wondering if infectious disease doctors are as helpful, or if I may end up getting one who doesn't believe in the Lymes? Also, is there anyone who could possibly PM me and let me know if there are any good ones out of the names I was given? I am in Pennsylvania... thank you everyone

--------------------
*~*Rerae*~*
Bitten 3/98, Diagnosed 9/04
Treated 3 weeks, then pushed aside.
Need good doc to pick back up.

Posts: 25 | From Erie, PA | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Q: Are infectious disease doctors as helpful?

Only one in a million. There is one poster here who has a good lyme literate MD who is an Infectious Disease doctor and also a member of ILADS.

However, that is extremely rare.

You could call the ID doctors' offices and

� ask the office manager if they are a member of ILADS (a good thing)

� Ask if they treat chronic lyme. (Listen very closely. You can tell a lot by the sounds and tone that come out of the office manger's mouth. If you "hear" exasperation even in silence of sorts, that's a bad sign.)

� Ask if they also evaluate and treat other tick- borne infections

� Ask if they follow the IDSA guidelines for diagnosis and treatment. If so, that is not a good thing. Do not proceed.

� Find articles that the doctor may have written or co-authored. Start with a search of their last name at PubMed ( http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez ) then try google.

� Also ask the office manager if the doctor can suggest a good article for lyme patients so they you how to best manage your nutrition and other things you can do to help progress.

By now, you will probably have lost the office manger if the doctor is not a good choice.

You need an ILADS-educated LLMD (or one who is an ILADS member) , even if they vary in some ways, they will have the necessary background from the ILADS research and conference opportunities.

You might ask you local support group for suggestions - ask specifically about the ID doctors' names on your list. Once in a while, there can be a good one. And I hope there will be more to come someday.

But you have to do your homework first. Just don't go as that is usually a waste of time, they get money for a lousy job -- and it takes a huge chuck out of your soul.

==================

http://www.lymenet.org/SupportGroups/

Find your area Lyme Support Groups

===================

www.lymepa.org

The Lyme Disease Association of Southeastern PA

===================

www.ilads.org

ILADS
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only infectious disease doc I know that is any good is from MA----Dr. D.

I seen him myself and I highly recommend him.

I totally agree with KEEBLER - There are only one in a million!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve

**edited out the city**

[ 10-27-2010, 10:32 PM: Message edited by: Lymetoo ]

--------------------
Everything I say is just my opinion!

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rerae
Member # 28438

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rerae     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If only I lived with my grandfather up in Boston... lol
As for the support group, I have tried contacting 2 nearest my area, and the emails are not working for either. Should I branch out to a little farther away?

--------------------
*~*Rerae*~*
Bitten 3/98, Diagnosed 9/04
Treated 3 weeks, then pushed aside.
Need good doc to pick back up.

Posts: 25 | From Erie, PA | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Well, can you go visit your grandfather? That might be a wonderful way to make this work.

I would branch out. I'd think of where ever you may have family or friends with a spare bed and a good heart.

I added some thoughts to the post above. You may want to take another peek.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
onbam
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
will send my (woefully incomplete) newby message
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a Dr. S in FL who is part of the IDSA that is said to to be the bees knees! [Smile] Not all are bad.
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey rerae, Lyme doctors

Check out this the it's labled under Lyme Disease and it in---Erie, PA

http://local.healthvideo.com/Lyme_Disease_From_Ticks_to_Aches_Erie_PA-r1207312-Erie_PA.html

Steve

--------------------
Everything I say is just my opinion!

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
METALLlC BLUE
Member # 6628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for METALLlC BLUE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Steve, Dr. D is a great guy and great at diagnosing Lyme Disease. However, one important shortcoming is to remember that he does not treat co-infections. He believes based on his experience that if a patient has a typical co-infections like Rocky Mountain Spotted fever, or Ehrlichiosis, that the antibiotics used for the Lyme Disease will also kill these infections.

Unfortunately, Babesia is seen commonly and the antibiotics used do not seem to kill all the strains of these other co-infections. Many patients get well, but many go on to report still being co-infected. So, it's something to be aware of. If treatment is working, stay the course I say, but if you're just stuck and still sick as a dog, dig deeper.

--------------------
I am not a physician, so do your own research to confirm any ideas given and then speak with a health care provider you trust.

E-mail: [email protected]

Posts: 4157 | From Western Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Find a doctor who will treat Lyme AND coinfections... and will treat long term.

That is usually going to be an LLMD, not an ID.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LSG Scott
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21624

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LSG Scott     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dr J from under our skin the one who treated mandy is an infectious disease Doctor and some say the best lyme doc in the US

so i would say more like 3 or 4 in a million

--------------------
LSG Scott

Posts: 513 | From Boston, Cape Cod, Mass | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BackinStOlaf
Member # 23725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BackinStOlaf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The few I've met told me I don't have lyme anymore and 2 weeks of antibiotics is enough. I said 'then why do I still have symptoms' and they said 'well maybe you never had lyme'

Funny, because I had a highly positive test. *sigh*

--------------------
First Symptom 9/09
Multiple docs, negative Labcorp test
LLMD: 1/10
Positive Igenex/CDC test
Treatment 2/10
2/10-8/10 Amox, ceftin, zith, flagyl
Currently: Bicillin, Minocycline, still dealing with severe breathing issues

-

Posts: 1121 | From New York, New York | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cjfrank
Member # 26985

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cjfrank     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I pretty much had the same experience as BackinStOlaf. I was told that I didn't have lyme anymore either.

The infectious disease doctor lectured me, looked at my knees like he couldn't see the swollen tissue and asked me if I was depressed.

I told him, of course, I'm depressed, I feel horrible, I can hardly walk, I have all I can do to get out of bed each morning, etc etc.

I left his office feeling worse than I had before I had entered.

It was a waste of time, energy, and money.

--------------------
cjfrank

IGG Western Blot - negative
IGG Bands Detected - p18
IGM Western Blot - positive
IGM Bands Detected - p23, p41

Posts: 49 | From Maine | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i wasted probably a year and the last appt she told me "i never believed you anyway".

Oh great!!!

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Kete-tracker
Member # 17189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Kete-tracker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You Should be able to get a response from the folks at LymePa.org
Not sure what part of PA you're in but that organization is based out of Chadds Ford.
I'm sure there are support groups that meet throughout the State.

Contrary to what might seem logical, I.D. docs usually don't "get" the complexities of Lyme infection and rarely know how to properly Dx co-infections that are all too common in areas like yours.

Find an M.D. or D.O. experienced in treating Lyme who follows ILADS methods. Preferably one you've gotten good feedback on from folks who are doing well again.

Posts: 1233 | From Dover, NH | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jac123
Member # 28247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jac123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I live in 2 states although my LLMD is in Wisc.I thought to have a DR. here for help when ill.3 weeks in treatment went to see her,not only is she non believer (in Lymes) even with positive test results in front of her,she said rash on my face was a bite.What a mistake,its shingles,total waiste of my time and money.Besides the fact I was so sick and dragged my self to her.As if I needed that!
Posts: 72 | From illinois/wisconsin | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlebit27
Member # 24477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for littlebit27   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Only a LLMD with properly treat you and believe you. I had an internal medicine doctor, a allergist (supposedly a LLMD, but wasn't) and an ID doc all tell me I was crazy.

It's in my head and I have "post-lyme syndrome"

Now I've found a wonderfull LLMD who is treating me.

But I do know there is an ID doc in GA who is supposedly very good. My experience with them was horrible but other reviews say they are great. So there are some, but few and far between.

--------------------
*Brittany Lyme Aware on FB*
http://littlebithaslyme.wordpress.com/

Posts: 2310 | From Southeast | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement