LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » shingles

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: shingles
jac123
Member # 28247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jac123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been on abx for almost 3weeks.Monday came down with rash,unfortunately on my face,thought it was bug bite.(of course)Turned out to be Shingles.Not that the pain is much different from what i have been going through,just wanted to know anyone else have this happen?I know it gets worse before better,but I am so over it all.
Posts: 72 | From illinois/wisconsin | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
viva
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for viva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The quick answer to your question is yes, this happened to my husband.

Can you go to your LLMD or PCP and get some Valtrex or another anti-viral prescribed? If you hit the shingles with an antiviral in the initial time window (48 or 72 hours, maybe?), you can head off some of the pain. Even after that window closes, you need to treat with an anti-viral.

If that's not possible, L-Lysine is mentioned as a natural antiviral. I have read that the dose for shingles is 1000 mg, 3 times a day. You can get this at Whole Foods or a similar store. This may be a good stopgap measure if you can't get to the doctor right away.

More broadly, your outbreak suggests that viruses are a player in your illness (as they often are in Lyme). Please think about talking to your LLMD about addressing this.

I'm sure others will be along with more info. I hope your pain is not too bad (I know it can be intense with shingles), and that you get some relief soon.

Best to you,
Viva

Posts: 532 | From southeast US | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey jac123, I feel your pain...shingles suckS!!!

I hope you feel better soon.

Steve

--------------------
Everything I say is just my opinion!

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momintexas
Member # 23391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momintexas   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had shingles 3 times over the last several months. It's NOT fun.

It's also a sign your immune system is way down. I've heard of several other people with Lyme that got shingles as well.

Avoid taking any baths while you have shingles.

Valtrex can help. They also make a cream you can use to help with some of the pain and it can help them heal faster.

I hope you feel better soon!

Posts: 1408 | From Tx | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jac123
Member # 28247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jac123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks,LLMD out of town went to My Md who diagnosed me with Lymes,she did give me antiviral,but missed 72hr window,because I first waisted my time and money on a IDD said I dont have Lymes and this was a bug bite.

Thanks for your responses no sleep last night

Posts: 72 | From illinois/wisconsin | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momintexas
Member # 23391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momintexas   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you do a search on here, you will come up with other threads that might give you some more help and info on shingles.

I know this topic came up over the summer.

Hang in there.......

Posts: 1408 | From Tx | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DebraKelly
Member # 24925

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DebraKelly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I contracted chicken pox while having lyme and it was a disaster! The virus brings out the worst symptoms of the lyme and it can last very long. I was very desperate and went to an accupuncturist who helped me immensely.

Do whatever you can because it's more complicated when you have the lyme.

good luck!

Posts: 65 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terminator
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27328

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terminator     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
shingles are due to varicella zoster virus right? I think I get that whenever I shave the hair below my belly button. And I have a little outbreak on my arm that ressembles a spider bite but I really dont think I was bite by anything recently.

So that means my immune system is way down? No surprise to me, but even my LLMD disagreed with me on this point (because my CD57 is 130).

What's the best antiviral for VZV? Are there antiviral creams or the creams are just for the pain?

Should I take antivirals even when no shingles can be seen to optimize abx treatment of lyme?

--------------------
We will win

Posts: 135 | From California | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i discovered too late that i had shingles and not a rash. my doc said you must get the vaccine within the first 48 hours of the rash. i waited a week before going to the doc. waaayyy too late.

but i did find a cream called "terrasil" and that helped more than the prescription he gave me. he said the script wouldn't do anything but at least he gave it to me. three huge pills three times a day for a week.

the cream really helped with the itching and the rash didn't spread. it's about 25 bucks for a small jar and you can get it online.

the cream is well worth it. it's kind of a silver color.

it helped me when nothing else did and i was quaranteed for over six weeks.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terminator
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27328

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terminator     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up

--------------------
We will win

Posts: 135 | From California | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marz
Member # 3446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thought I'd revive this thread because of recent experience with a friend who was advised to get the shingles vaccine by PCP. He doesn'e have lyme.

After getting the shot he started getting lots of cold sores, herpes simples. Lysine worked for a while.

Then he lost partial vision in one eye--no pain. They said he had a minor stroke in that eye. his symptoms progressed to what they thought was a sinus infection, nausea, headaches, and was admitted to hospital. He was delusional, not rational and needed to be restrained.

The shingles had moved into his brain without any kind of skin breakouts until later. When those appeared they tested them and yes it was varicella zoster, shingles.

He was hospitalezed for 3 weeks and after many complications including needing dialysis 4 times from the massive does of acyclovir, now seems to be ok.

We've since heard that people with internal shingles in the brain (he had meningoencephalitis) die and if they survive do not have their mental facultues.

I am so thankful to God that he came through this and does have his full mental facutlties.

My LLMD did not recommend the vaccine for me and I'm glad I've turned it down from PCP.

Please, everyone considering getting this vaccine or if you do get it watch the signs and get in to get tested and on an anti-viral immediately! Some of the signs do not even seem like shingles symptoms

He's terrified about this happening again since shingles can return.

Posts: 1297 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you know this points out tho, that we are not stupid as doctors seem to think.

i didn't know i had shingles until i searched the web and went to his office. i also found my cream online.

the web has lots of information and it can be for good.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement