LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » severe muscle spasms in back

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: severe muscle spasms in back
pioneerlady
Member # 27554

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pioneerlady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just wondering if anyone else had this symptom with Lyme. Within 5-10 minutes after I stand up, I get severe, debiliating, muscle spasms in my lower back. Been to a chiropractor and he says I am NOT out of alignment. It started after my first week of antibiotics (omnicef) but it is getting progressively worse even though I have stopped all antibiotics last week. I have had a positive Lyme test through Igenex in September. My first appt. with my LLDM is this coming Friday. I have not been able to work since last week because of the severe spasms. Any advice?
Posts: 21 | From Honey Brook | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momlyme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 27775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My son is having back spasms - very bad. I have seen him fall out of a chair from a spasm... he grits his teeth and arches backward and once in a while, he falls to the floor.

He just came off Mepron after symptoms (not just this one) only got worse. Still on oral AZith and Minocycline.

LLMD is putting him on IV Rocephin today. Insurance says they will cover 100% - they gave no cut off date... like only 4 weeks, although LLMD says she has never seen insurance cover more than 4 weeks so be prepared.

I just read over my post and don't know how it will help you... I give him a heating pad... doesn't help him much. We used to do a hot tub... he hated it, said it makes him feel (more) sick to his stomach.

Maybe someone else with more experience can give advice for relief from back pain... I am calling his LLMD for (hopefully) pain meds today... I am worried about more pain when he gets the picc line. I don't think he can stand any more!

I pray you feel better soon.

--------------------
May health be with you!

Toxic mold was suppressing our immune systems, causing extreme pain, brain fog and magnifying symptoms. Four days after moving out, the healing began.

Posts: 2007 | From NY/VT Border | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
did you take flagyl/tini? it caused muscle spasms at my back.
Posts: 226 | From earth | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pioneerlady
Member # 27554

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pioneerlady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know what your son is going through. I will pray for him. I am trying to get a prescription for a muscle relaxer today so that I can function. The spasms hit hard and take me to my knees. I told my husband it is like a severe back contraction when your having a baby. I have done the hot tub but it does not improve the pain. Although my daughters last LLMD used to say that if you crank it up high enough it can help to fight the lyme since it is like getting a fever. Never have it over 105 and don't let him stay in for more than 10 minutes.
Currently I'm getting the most improvment from ice packs (on ten then off 20 minutes)and staying on the couch or in bed.

I have not taken any other meds except the omnicef and a one-a-day vitamin yesterday.

Posts: 21 | From Honey Brook | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momlyme
Member # 27775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope you get the muscle relaxer... better yet, some relief so you can function. I will try the ice with my son if he will tolerate it. Thanks for the prayers-- back at you. We have you on our prayer list!

Steven- No flagyl/tini here... although I just read a post that suggests taking "Flagul 3 times a day 250 mg while on rocephin" ---I can't remember what the post was, I copied it into a notepad -- so I could ask our LLMD about it.

LLMD is taking him off all oral abx when he goes on the rocephin this afternoon.

Does anybody know if the back pain is Lyme, Babs, Bart, or something else? Maybe if we know what infection/co-infection is causing it, we can go from there?

--------------------
May health be with you!

Toxic mold was suppressing our immune systems, causing extreme pain, brain fog and magnifying symptoms. Four days after moving out, the healing began.

Posts: 2007 | From NY/VT Border | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dsiebenh
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dsiebenh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have this. During the day, I make sure I hold on to something for about 30 seconds after I stand. At night I take a small amount of xanax so I can sleep.

It's worst right after I get up; it moderates after I take a couple of steps.

Posts: 252 | From NJ USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawn in VA
Member # 9693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawn in VA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A couple of ideas that might help a bit-

magnesium (can help counter CNS excitotoxicity)

hot as you can take it comfortably 20 min showers 3X/day- moist heat penetrates way better than dry

lidocaine patches to help localized pain

I agree with everyone else too about the muscle relaxers and/or ativan, xanax, etc.

--------------------
(The ole disclaimer: I'm not a doctor.)

Posts: 1349 | From VA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How much magnesium are you taking?

The Lyme bacteria uses up the magnesium in the cells, causing all kinds of problems, including twitching and spasms.

The Importance of Magnesium to Human Nutrition
http://www.mbschachter.com/importance_of_magnesium_to_human.htm

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kbraun
Member # 10850

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kbraun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to suffer from really bad spasms especially in my lower back. Then I moved to Hawaii and slowly got off all my medication and in a couple months they were gone. A year later started having seizures and dry heaving all the time. I went back on abx's through Dr. J in DC now all the sudden I'm having debilitating spasms again. Dr. J says that it is not muscular that it is neurological. Hot showers help me but seem to cause seizures. They increased my Lamictal to 100mg a day and that seems to be helping, I'm also on Lorazepam 2mg, Lyrica 100mg, and flexiril 39mg. I have a phone consult Wed. hoping to get off all this stuff and treat the real problem.
Posts: 8 | From Hanapepe, HI | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kbraun
Member # 10850

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kbraun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oops that is flexiril 30 mg.
Posts: 8 | From Hanapepe, HI | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
little_olive
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28063

Icon 1 posted      Profile for little_olive     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm unsure if it's Lyme disease or not. I tend to associate this with bartonella because it happens most on the days when my bart flares. They make you scream out involuntarily, and like you I've fallen to my knees before; they truly are excrutiating. I'm so sorry you're going through them, too.

Baclofen helps!!

--------------------
Myalgic encephalomyelitis, 2002 | Viral onset, following Hep B vaccine
Lyme since '06 | Bartonella since '08 (cured) | Mycoplasma pneumoniae since '08
IGeneX: IgM 31IND 34IND 41+ | IgG 39IND 58+ 41+++
IgG deficiencies and MTHFR 677TT mutations

Posts: 512 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For me it was bartonella. It would seize up and make me scream. I sympathize with you! Treating bart got rid of it.

Valerian is a natural muscle relaxer but I don't know if it is strong enough for your pain. Magnesium is important as it is the mineral that relaxes the muscle after a contraction.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
little_olive
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28063

Icon 1 posted      Profile for little_olive     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Up? Interested in the fact that other "Barties" are having this.

--------------------

Posts: 512 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pioneerlady
Member # 27554

Not sure if it's the Lyme or Bartonella. Have not been tested for co-infections yet. My son and daughter have Lyme, Bartonella and Babesia so chances are I have them too. I am relieved to find that I am not the only person going thru this weird symptom. I believe it is a Herx reaction. I made some critter mad! Have learned how to deal with it. I bend over immediately and know that it's like a childbirth contraction....it is severe but short and then I'll be over it. I have some residual stiffness afterwards. I have just been avoiding standing at all costs. It is much worse then and from morning until about 11am. Not sure why. Hot stuff (hot tub, heating pad, etc) does not help. Ice packs seem to make it better. My Chirpractor thinks it is from inflamation secondary to some toxin from the lyme. Have Mag., potassium, sodium, etc. all tested. All within normal limits. Vit D was low but that should not cause severe spasms like this. Currently taking parsley drops to help detox. Any other ideas on how to get rid of this faster if its a Herx???? I really don't want to stop antibx.
pioneerlady
Member # 27554

Also, the muscle relaxer (amrix) has not seemed to help very much.
little_olive
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28063

quote:
Originally posted by pioneerlady:
It is much worse then and from morning until about 11am. Not sure why.

Maybe this confirms it really is bartonella, which is more active in the mornings...

I don't think it's a herx at all; I get this much more while I'm off antibiotics, but of course herxing does make current symptoms worse. But for me personally, it was a symptom. [Smile]

--------------------

Dawn in VA
Member # 9693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawn in VA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
>>Also, the muscle relaxer (amrix) has not seemed to help very much.<<

Keep in mind that you may have to go through a trial and error period with muscle relaxers. I tried 3 or maybe 4 different ones until I found one that worked for me. I know it sounds odd, but I don't think it's uncommon as it sounds.

--------------------
(The ole disclaimer: I'm not a doctor.)

Posts: 1349 | From VA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pioneerlady
Member # 27554

Just want to let everyone know that the I started on tonic water (for the quinine). After
taking about 1/2 cup at lunch, and another 1/2 cup right before bed, I woke up in the morning
with a migrain! Took 2 Exedrine and went back to bed. Woke up soaking wet like I had a fever.
Have not had the muscle spasms since. Not sure
if the tonic water was the reason for this or not. Have not done the tonic water since. 2 days with NO muscle spasms!! I and soooooo
happy! For any of you who are going through the
spasms, try tonic water! Found out the quinine has anti parasitic properties. Maybe the spasms
were from the Babs and not from the Bart. Just a thought!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement