LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Vision problems need LL eye doc?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Vision problems need LL eye doc?
tcrave88
Member # 28897

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tcrave88     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have seen some posts about people having vision issues, which I am also experiencing. Also saw posts about vision doctors that are Lymes literate. I guess I'm wondering, if being treated for lymes is supposed to stop the symptoms, at what point might a person need a eye doc? And.... might I get that info from the other board also?
Thanks
Theresa

By the way, saw primary today, she's not with me on the lymes part, but is not telling me to not pursue it. She is open to refer me to the doctors that I got names on... so keep your fingers crossed that i'll get into one of them before next year!!!

Posts: 13 | From Monson, MA | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momofthree
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19490

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momofthree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had horrible sight problems and I am happy to say they are almost all gone now. I only have a problem when I am too stressed.
Posts: 303 | From green bay, wi | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TX Lyme Mom
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TX Lyme Mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bartonella is known to affect the eyes. Be sure not to overlook the possibility of Bartonella. Be aware, however, that the tests for Bartonella are not very good and that a negative test for Bartonella does not rule it out.

Find a good LLMD who is a member of ILADS because these experienced doctors know about Bartonella as another tickborne co-infection although Bartonella is most often associated with cat fleas.

Posts: 4563 | From TX | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went to a good neuro-opthalmologist and passed all the tests, even tho I couldn't look at light, had floaters, eye muscle pain and blurred vision.

Then my chiropractor suggested I try drinking mangosteen juice and it worked - within 24 hours, all my Lyme eye symptoms were gone.

It's an anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant juice that combats the free radicals created by inflammation.

There are lots of brands online and in health food stores - I drink the Ultra one from Trace Minerals with 70 minerals added.

If you try some, go slowly and drink water also, as it can be powerful.

Keep in mind we're all different and respond differently to everything. So each of us has to find what's right for us.

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a really excellent LLMD opthalmalogist in Westchester, NY, if you want the info. I highly recommend her. Regular opthalmalogists are useless for Lyme problems in my experience.

The problems may go away with treatment, but you need to make sure that they are being addressed adequately.

Please make sure that you follow TX Lyme Mom's advice above. An Infectious Disease doctor, for instance, will be worse than seeing no one (with a very few exceptions). You can't just see anyone who says they treat Lyme (it's not Lymes, BTW).

This is one illness where it does NOT pay to scrimp.

Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Mall
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paul Mall   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
@Robin123

I am thinking about trying the Magnosteen did you take the suggested dose of 1-3 oz per day?

or did you do more?

I am checking with my LLMD to make sure it wont interfear with my treatment

these floaters really bother me...

Paul

Posts: 925 | From Connecticut | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
backintherain
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14385

Icon 1 posted      Profile for backintherain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So you can get bartonella by getting bitten by fleas? Is that common? Myfriend got really sick this summer when he rented a room in an apartment with a flea-ridden cat. He had flea bites all over his legs and his lymph nodes got extremely swollen.
I think he's fine now, though.

Posts: 227 | From Northern CA (bitten in Illinois) | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tcrave88
Member # 28897

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tcrave88     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, I guess my question would be... what benefit is there for seeing an opthamologist?

And thank you everyone for your replies, so much info to take in!

Posts: 13 | From Monson, MA | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AlanaSuzanne
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AlanaSuzanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well since you said you are having vision issues why wouldn't it benefit you to see an opthalmologist?

And what other board are you referring to?

--------------------
You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, 'I lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.'

---Eleanor Roosevelt

Posts: 748 | From somewhere | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tcrave88
Member # 28897

Have no clue why i wrote, from the other board! Think I was asking for a list of doctors in MA that are optho docs.

What I mean about seeing an eye doc: if the vision problems stop with treatment, what can an eye doc do for me?

Paul Mall
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paul Mall   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All an Eye doctor will do is tell you your retina is ok.

it is a waste of time been there done that

Paul

Posts: 925 | From Connecticut | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TX Lyme Mom
Member # 3162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TX Lyme Mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by backintherain:
So you can get bartonella by getting bitten by fleas? Is that common? Myfriend got really sick this summer when he rented a room in an apartment with a flea-ridden cat. He had flea bites all over his legs and his lymph nodes got extremely swollen.
I think he's fine now, though.

This is off the topic of the original subject heading, but since you asked, let me give a brief answer to your concern about your friend's problem. Most normal healthy people with good immune systems can throw off Bartonella rather easily. Whether it might come back later under a period of extreme physiological stress or illness is something to be mindful of though, so your friend should make a note of this exposure and keep it in mind if he has problems later.

The medical literature on Bartonella says that usually only the very young and the elderly or those who have weakened immune systems (such as AIDS patients) are at risk for contracting Bartonella. Borrelia causes sufficient immuno-suppression that Lyme patients seem to acquire Bartonella as a co-infection rather easily, too.

Since your friend is healthy now and his lymph nodes have gone down, he probably doesn't have too much to worry about. Nevertheless, I would urge you to caution him to make a written note about the incident for later in case he develops any kind of chronic health condition in the future. Otherwise, tell him not to worry too much about it now.

Posts: 4563 | From TX | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marypart
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27012

Icon 1 posted      Profile for marypart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We need a lyme-literate opthalmologist in the DC area. Does anybody know of one?

Please PM me if you do..

--------------------
Son, 26, Dx Lyme 4/10, Babs 8/10
Had serious arthritis, all gone.
Currently on Valtrex
Daughter, 26,bullseye 7/11
arthritis in knees, cured and off all meds. .
Self:Lyme, bart, sxs gone, no longer treating.

Posts: 496 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tcrave88
Member # 28897

So again, what help does a opth doctor do if it's lyme based?
cjfrank
Member # 26985

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cjfrank     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also went to an eye doctor because of my eye problems. I was told that my eyes were getting tired from looking at a computer screen all day.

The eye doctor gave me drops to put in my eyes. All the drops did was burn and sting my eyes.

After researching here on this site, I found mangosteen juice. I swear by it. I drink a little every morning.

All eye problems seems to be gone. I still have other issues, but my eyes are fine.

--------------------
cjfrank

IGG Western Blot - negative
IGG Bands Detected - p18
IGM Western Blot - positive
IGM Bands Detected - p23, p41

Posts: 49 | From Maine | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momintexas
Member # 23391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momintexas   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It would be good to get it checked out just in case. It may not be Lyme related. Better safe than sorry.

As many have said here, it is common with Lyme and if that is what's causing your issues it should improve with treatment.

Posts: 1408 | From Tx | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marypart
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27012

Icon 1 posted      Profile for marypart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tcrave,

In my son's case his eye had a large red inflammed dot in the white area. Lyme can cause inflammatory conditions in the eye, and having an ophthalmologist on board would be helpful for monitoring any structural damage to the parts of the eye.

I do understand your question, though, because a lot of times all they can do is prescribe steroids or steroid shots... and it would have to be pretty bad before we would consider that.
-Mary

--------------------
Son, 26, Dx Lyme 4/10, Babs 8/10
Had serious arthritis, all gone.
Currently on Valtrex
Daughter, 26,bullseye 7/11
arthritis in knees, cured and off all meds. .
Self:Lyme, bart, sxs gone, no longer treating.

Posts: 496 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyme987
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22148

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lyme987     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know a great lyme literate neuro-opthalomolgist
He is in lancaster, pa. Saved the sight of two young girls I know. Totally awesome. Does not treat lyme though.

pm me if you need a name and number

Posts: 298 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw a top neuro-opthalmologist who couldn't find anything wrong. He prescribed steroid drops. I knew I wasn't supposed to do that, but tried a tiny amount just to see what it would be like, and nothing happened.

It was the next day, when my chiropractor suggested trying mangosteen juice, that I had my immediate breakthrough, which I described above.

cjfrank - glad to read that mangosteen juice is also working for you! Which brand are you drinking?

Paul - I now do about a half ounce in the am and pm. When I first started, I drank a bit more when I saw I could handle it, plus also drank a lot of water.

When I first started, it cleared out my sinuses and intestines, and caused my gums to stop bleeding!

It's supposed to contain 43 xanthones compounds that counteract free radicals created by inflammation.

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement