LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » hair loss

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: hair loss
dian
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14335

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I posted this question a few weeks ago, I am 22 years old, have had lyme since age 16. I am currently on doxy. My hair has been falling out for a year, my dad was diagnosed with cancer when this started and he recently died two months ago and it is still falling out. Any suggestions?
Is this lyme, stress, both, what can I do, I do not want to go bald!!!!

Posts: 256 | From Boston, mass | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momofthree
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19490

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momofthree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My other daughter has this. I heard it was from a co infection and it will get better when you do. I have seen people on here who use Biatin for it.
Posts: 303 | From green bay, wi | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr al
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18191

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr al     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mine has been doing this as well the last few months and i'm realtively young.

I've seen more post from women talking about this than men.

I still haven't been able to get a very clear answer about this.

Posts: 105 | From east | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.C
Member # 17775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mrs.C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is from the lyme. My hair falls out too. sometimes there is alot in the drain, and yes its a little scarry. But my LLMD says this is normal. Is your hair noticably thinner after you stlye it?
I'm a cosmetologist and your hair does normally fall out in cycles but it is not noticable like with lyme.
Hope this helps.

Posts: 12 | From Lititz, PA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
INEBG
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27690

Icon 1 posted      Profile for INEBG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You might want to try biotin. My hairdresser suggested it to me b/c my hair was falling out and had gotten very thin and limp looking. It's made a tremendous difference. My hair is thicker now than it's ever been, and it's shiny and healthy looking. It improved so much people began asking me what I was using, and they started using it too. My husband started taking it five months ago (I've been on it for more than a year). He'd been losing his hair for years and was nearly completely bald on top. I wish we'd taken "before" photos b/c the difference is remarkable. He's got hair again. People keep asking him if he's had transplants. Biotin is not expensive and I read somewhere that it helps w/the Lyme, too, but can't remember the source or in what way it helps. Just that the recommended dose was 5000 mcg/day.
Posts: 212 | From San Francisco Bay Area, California | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I lost a TON of hair with this. I have very thick hair, and it was noticeably thinner. What was left was very brittle and tended to break, so I was hesitant to wash it and seldom brushed it.

It has grown back in. I do take B vitamins that include biotin.

It can be infection. It can be thyroid. It can also be malnutrition, which could have been my problem because I had terrible absorption in my intestines.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VB
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16824

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mine was from lyme. adding amoxil to my mix made it grow back. I was already on bicillin, biaxin and flagyl. The addition of 1g of amoxil did it for me... not sure why this was the fix though. Wish it killed all of the lyme while it was at it, but at least I have my hair back.
Posts: 453 | From TX | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hhoskins72
Member # 26190

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hhoskins72     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I lost chunks of hair for over a year during my first 2 years of Lyme tx. I had to buy a stopper to put in my shower because I kept clogging up the drain. My LLMD started me on Armour thyroid, and I used Nioxin shampoo and conditioner. Together, they worked wonders to help stop my hair loss.
Posts: 33 | From Texas | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hadlyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hadlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyme will screw up our thyroid. Thyroid tests will look normal actually... but more and more LLMD's are starting us on Armour and we're getting better with the hair thing.

--------------------
Lyme, Babs, Fry Bug..... Whatever it is, may a treatment be discovered to make us all whole again!

Posts: 941 | From AZ-MT | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pammy
Member # 15695

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dian,
So sorry to hear about your Dad. I'm sure it is a combination of stress and Lyme. When we had a death in our family all of my Lyme symptoms flared up and took a long time to calm down.

Look into your thyroid and hormone levels. If any of those are out of whack that can cause hair loss as well...

Good luck!

Posts: 92 | From home | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elizzza811
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24713

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elizzza811     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're dealing with chronic Lyme AND you just lost your father to cancer, especially if you were living in the same house, you might want to look into the EMF issue. Are you living close to a cell phone tower or being exposed to a neighbor's wi-fi, for example? Google antenna search and electrosensitivity.

The symptoms of Lyme are nearly identical to microwave sickness. That might explain why so many of us remain ill and some symptoms remain, untouched by antibiotics. Even if it is Lyme, these frequencies are probably what allowed the bugs to cross the blood-brain barrier...

--------------------
Urge Congress on EMF Safety, FCC Must Change Exposure Guidelines for Microwave Radiation Exposure: http://tinyurl.com/2cjq54y
Halt Universal Broadband, A Public Health Hazard:
http://tinyurl.com/3x7xrmq

Posts: 495 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement