LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Unique problem -- blocked receptors in thyroid?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Unique problem -- blocked receptors in thyroid?
Wolfed Out
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23727

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfed Out     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know it's been hypothesized that Lyme creates a problem with the thyroid and the receptors. Many people seem to find relief with thyroid replacement therapy or supplements. I'm not in this category.

It seems like ANYTHING I try to help with the thyroid, causes a problem for me.

I've tried RegeneMAX, DHEA supplements, Armour, and most recently Hyaluronic Acid. Each of these produces some kind fatigue, nausea, anxiety, confusion mental-state and/or headache.

Like I've mentioned before, I feel like I have a nice thyroid gland sitting behind some bad wiring.

It was late last year when I first noticed hypothyroid symptoms, but I also noticed it was worse when taking Oxycodone. I had a reaction where my feet and hands would get ice cold, but it would be very brief. However, after continued use it became very bad and didn't go away.

I've done a search that revealed something about opiod-induced thyroid suppression. But, I don't understand how this affects using supplements to help treat the problem.

What do I do from here?

Posts: 829 | From MD | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeorsomething
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 16359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeorsomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you tried plain old Synthroid or a Synthroid/Cytomel combo?

Dr. B talks about receptor blockade from toxin release.

If your adrenals are off too, thyroid meds can aggravate your condition. So you may want to check out adrenal status.

There is also T3 only therapy (controversial) but works for some.

--------------------
"Whatever can go wrong will go wrong."

Posts: 2062 | From CT | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfed Out
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23727

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfed Out     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, I haven't tried Synthroid yet.

Speaking of the receptor blockade from toxin release, what can I do to help aid the unblocking? I don't think there are any tests for the receptors?

My adrenals could be off definitely be off as well. I have a saliva cortisol results, but they were somewhat inconclusive. At 6pm my peak level reached like 45+ or something, but the results were really sketchy. Any other tests I should consider?

I don't have a ton of trouble sleeping, and generally sleep between 6 1/2 to 8 hours a night.

Posts: 829 | From MD | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeorsomething
Member # 16359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeorsomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could repeat adrenal test...maybe try the 24-hr urine cortisol test.

Receptor blockade is probably more of a theory but it does make some sense. Articles on pubmed are scant, the few are hard to digest. I'll look again later.

Dr. B does not directly mention how to overcome it.

Optimizing detox may help. Of course, getting well is the best way to reset the HPA axis. [Smile] What abx are you on now?

--------------------

Posts: 2062 | From CT | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfed Out
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23727

Based on my later reaction to oxycodone, it leads me to believe there is some kind of blocking going on.

The hypothyroid-like symptoms I suffered were a result of oxycodone, and have VERY slowly become better. But, I don't believe the ABX is the reason, rather it's just improving with time on it's own.

That's why I mentioned something I read about oxycodone-induced thyroiditis.

I continue to loss hair, and my skin is awful -- wrinkling, dry and tight. But, the cold intolerance is much better than before.

At this point, I'm convinced it has something to do with the HPA Axis.

I've received some good suggestions for HPA Axis testing that might reveal more interesting information in another thread I started.

sk8ter
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sk8ter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please go to Stopthethyroidmadnesscom and read the adrenal fatigue part. If the adrenals are not fixed first the thyroid cannot use any thyroid meds correctly.
Posts: 871 | From orange county, ca. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look into heavy metal toxicity, mercury, lead, nickel, etc. and hormone producing cells. Lots of information on this board. Search Klinghardt Lyme on internet and here.

Kidneys/ adrenals/ hormone producing cells are severely affected by toxic metal blockages.

Good luck.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elizzza811
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24713

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elizzza811     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wolfed Out:
Like I've mentioned before, I feel like I have a nice thyroid gland sitting behind some bad wiring.

No, your wiring is just fine; just the signals are messed up....
http://www.powerwatch.org.uk/news/20050722_bamberg.asp

--------------------
Urge Congress on EMF Safety, FCC Must Change Exposure Guidelines for Microwave Radiation Exposure: http://tinyurl.com/2cjq54y
Halt Universal Broadband, A Public Health Hazard:
http://tinyurl.com/3x7xrmq

Posts: 495 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfed Out
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23727

sk8er,

Your response was especially helpful. I read over the adrenal fatigue section and performed a few of the tests on myself. Indeed, by the 3 of the tests standards, it revealed I'm suffering from adrenal exhaustion.

I read a thread recently about adrenal fatigue, and it was suggested by a poster to use D-Ribose and Phosphatidylserine. I went and purchased the Phosphatidylserine 500mg in the store today, and ordered the D-Ribose from nutrabio.com online.

I took the Phosphatidylserine this evening, and now have an amazing headache to ruin my evening. It seems more important to focus on the D-Ribose than the Phosphatidylserine, but that's only from what I've read in this thread:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/98093?#000008

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Armour didn't help me when I was sick. Synthroid/Cytomel helped a lot.

Now that I'm better, I'm doing fine on one grain of Armour. My thyroid testing showed that I didn't need as much T3 anymore. I haven't yet been able to get off the Armour though.

There is no doubt I had adrenal fatigue as well. It took me about a year after I was well to start getting tired at night/awake in the morning and have other signs that they were healing.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sk8ter
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sk8ter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took i/4 of D-Ribose and almost went into seizures..That one is not for me. Dr.Lam is another leading expert on adrenals and he does everything thru the phone. He is not cheap but I am making some headway. My ILADS dr agrees that unless the adrenals are healed the thyroid will never work correctly. Amour redid their product in 2009 and many are getting their old symptoms back..Others are using the two products mentioned on stopthethyroidmadness.com site. Or you can have it compounded at a pharmacy. One is from Canada.

I hope this helps. You still need to have those tests done to get a base line. I was amazed that MCS can be from a low functioning adrenals.

Posts: 871 | From orange county, ca. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's true that the adrenals must be fixed for the thyroid to be healed.

Nature-throid, made by RLC Labs, is similar to Armour, but it is purer. And as Six said, when they reformulated Armour, many didn't get relief anymore. You might try that. Your pharmacy can order it, if your dr rx's it.

Or perhaps T3, etc.

Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfed Out
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23727

I have the issue where all my thyroid tests have come back normal.

Free T4: 1.06 ng/dL Range (.82 - 1.77)

TSH: 2.250 uIU/mL Range (.45 - 4.5)

Reverse T3: 237 pg/mL Range (90-350)

DHEA: 194.2 ug/dL Range (160 - 449)

Free Triiodothyronine: 3.3 pg/mL Range (2.0 - 4.4)

Dehydrotestorterone: 42 ng/dL (Range 30 - 85)

So, after trying Armour and having the reaction I did where I felt Hyperthyroidism, I must conclude that the thyroid isnt the specific issue. So, it must be something in the HPA (including the Adrenals).

IF I'M THINKING INCORRECTLY, PLEASE INPUT.

Lymeorsomething
Member # 16359

I've had to throw all my endocrine tests out the window for the most part with lyme. Generally, they are normal yet there are clear symptoms at times.

That's why I subscribe to the idea of a receptor blockade as suggested by Dr. B. Yes, it's a theory but it seems to make some sense given that certain parts of the immune system are chronically triggered and thus the HPA is affected in unique ways.

--------------------

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rumigirl:
And as Six said, when they reformulated Armour, many didn't get relief anymore.

Someone else said that .... I'm taking Armour and doing fine, but I have heard this.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amberini
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21281

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amberini         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My numbers were terrible with the reformulated Armour.
I switched to Synthroid/Cytomel combination, then a month later added LDN. This combination has helped me the most. Labs tomorrow to see how my levels are now after 6 months of new therapy.

Posts: 125 | From US | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement