LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Anyone react to Stevia?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone react to Stevia?
Lauralyme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15021

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lauralyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I seem to be after tolerating it for three years.

I can't tolerate sugar, now stevia
Geesh what's left? [Frown]

--------------------
Fall down seven times, get up eight
~Japanese proverb

Posts: 1146 | From west coast | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dekrator48
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dekrator48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I cannot use stevia.

Tried, but it upset my stomach.

--------------------
The fibromyalgia I've had for 32 years was an undiagnosed Lyme symptom.

"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". -Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 6076 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me either. I've taken it for years. I am going through a tough time with yeast and I'm wondering if the stevia was "activating" it.**

Maybe my stomach/gut is reading it as a sugar? I can't tolerate ANY artificial sweeteners right now.

Never thought I'd be drinking tea with nothing added!! Thank goodness I'm not addicted to coffee!

** I don't mean that the stevia is to blame but I seem to be reacting to it as though it were a real sugar.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lauralyme
Member # 15021

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lauralyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tutu have you tried Xylitol?

Stevia gives me lyme like symptoms and not GI issues. Took me two months to figure this out

--------------------
~Japanese proverb

Posts: 1146 | From west coast | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To me, xylitol is like using "nothing" at all. (and I would think it could stir up the yeast too since it's related to malitol, etc??)

Thanks, though!! [Smile]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
missing
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22437

Icon 1 posted      Profile for missing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just use one drop for a whole glass of homemade iced tea.

Yerba mate tea + lemon + ice + one drop of stevia.

I have just started to use it and it doesn't bother me so far.

If you are looking for a sugar free beverage,, I think SODASTREAM has some choices.

I haven't tried their products,,but they look like a great alternative,plus you get to make it yourself and

It is a "GREEN" company,,,no more 2 litre bottles of pop being thrown out!

www.sodastream.com

--------------------
I am not a doctor. I have no clue.

Posts: 606 | From somewhere out there | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nenet
Member # 13174

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Stevia plant is related to Ragweed, so some people might have adverse reactions to it, including GI upset or any number of food-sensitivity reactions and inflammation.

Some Stevia products come with that warning.

FYI Chamomile is also a relative to Ragweed.

--------------------
Dr. C's Western Blot Explanation

Lymenet Success Stories

ILADS Treatment Guidelines

Medical & Scientific Literature on Lyme

"Long-Term Antibiotic Therapy Improves Persistent Symptoms Associated with Lyme Disease"

Posts: 1176 | From KY | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Kete-tracker
Member # 17189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Kete-tracker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i'm very allergic to ragweed Pollen but have No issue with Stevia or chamomile. Just fyi
Posts: 1233 | From Dover, NH | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It can cause headaches and nausea in some people. There is also some concern that it may cause male infertility when used in high amounts.

Most of the time I use a little raw local honey.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lauralyme
Member # 15021

Thanks all for the input

--------------------
~Japanese proverb

GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Consider the different processing Stevia goes through before it arrives in your cup or glass.
Anyone of them can cause reactions when used longterm or even just once.

www.n8ture.com/herbs-stevia.html

"Politics are everywhere. Whether Stevia is safe or not has yet to be determined. I find it very interesting that in all the research studies I have run across, none addresses the issue of its use as a contraceptive by the Guarani tribe and other natives of South and Central America, as well as Mexico. What effect does Stevia have to pregnant women, or on an unborn fetus? I can�t answer that. I would rather wait until information is available on this issue before saying Stevia is safe. Maybe this issue is one of those "unresolved issues" the FDA is referring to."

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lenire
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26766

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lenire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
drink stevia soda all the time, ITs great! [Smile]
Posts: 106 | From Wales, RI usa | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2young2dieMom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25434

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2young2dieMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I stick with honey.

--------------------
Dxd ALS 3/2010
Dxd cllinical Lyme 4/2010
Positive for Protomyxzoa but absolutely nothing else in Igenex

Posts: 417 | From central ct | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
http://www.lifescript.com/Health/A-Z/Alternative-Therapies_A-Z/NaturalRemedies/S/Stevia.aspx?p=1

Stevia (April 2008)

Excerpts:

. . . Animal tests and the extensive Japanese experience with stevia suggest that this is a safe herb. 5,6

Based primarily on the apparently incorrect belief that stevia has been used traditionally to prevent pregnancy, 5 some researchers have expressed concern that stevia might have an anti-fertility effect in men or women.

However, evidence from most (though not all) animalstudies suggests that this is not a concern at normal doses. 7�9

. . . The two studies described above in which use of very high dosages of a stevia extract led to reductions in blood pressure raise at least theoretical concerns about stevia's safety. . . .

. . . the daily dose of stevioside used in those studies was considerably higher than is likely to be consumed if whole stevia is used for sweetening purposes; reassurance also comes from the study that found no effect with a dosage as high as 15 mg / kg / day. . . .

References cited for excerpts above:

5. Kinghorn AD, Soejarto DD. Current status of stevioside as a sweetening agent for human use. Econ Med Plant Res . 1985;1:22.

7. Melis MS. Effects of chronic administration of Stevia rebaudiana on fertility in rats. J Ethnopharm 1999;167;157�161.

8. Oliveira-Filho RM, Uehara OA, Minetti CA, et al. Chronic administration of aqueous extract of Stevia rebaudiana (Bert.) Bertoni in rats: endocrine effects. Gen Pharmacol . 1989;20:187�191.

9. Yodyingyuad V, Bunyawong S. Effect of stevioside on growth and reproduction. Hum Reprod . 1991;6:158�165.

- 16 references are listed for the above article.

================

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez

PubMed Search

Stevia � 175 medial abstracts.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
A note about stevia. Not all products that are called stevia are pure stevia. And some may be more processed than others.

I do very well with Trader Joe's ORGANIC Stevia extract, a fine white powder. SweetLeaf Stevia Clear (liquid) also works well for me. However, I have stumbled onto other brands that caused some symptoms.

The less processed green powder is rather gamey, to put it mildly. Normally, I like things less processed but the green stevia just was too strong for me.

Also to consider - even if I've been using the same brand of something for years, that formula can be changed with little or no announcement on the label.

Even if the formula has not been changed, there can be important changes in the growing conditions (chemicals added?) and in the processing.

And, if we ingest anything every day, day in and day out, we can develop an allergy or sensitivity to it. Rotation is good.

And, still, I would like to see more articles by expert herbalists. I just don't subscribe to the periodicals where they appear and the web has very little of the expert herbalists' works.

PubMed abstracts are not at detailed as the typical herbalists' chapters on most herbs. I would like to see more of that relating to stevia but soon we may be scrambling to be able to read about any herbs if they show any medical use whatsoever.

For those who drink herb teas and can handle a little licorice, licorice is very sweet and can be a very nice addition to most herbal teas. For anyone with high blood pressure or an agitated nervous system, go lightly. Licorice can cause some problems but that is usually in the higher doses, not just a tiny bit in tea. A tiny bit goes a very long way to sweeten a lot of tea.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
I did not find much at all about Stevia at the Townsend Letter, however, this article caught my eye:
------------

http://www.townsendletter.com/May2009/agave0509.html

From the Townsend Letter
- May 2009

Agave Nectar, the High-Fructose Health Food Fraud
- by Rami Nag

Marketed as a wholesome sweetener, agave syrup is actually a highly processed, refined product that may be worse for you than high-fructose corn syrup.

- full article at link above.
-

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement