LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » What to do for daughter? C diff?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What to do for daughter? C diff?
kimmie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25547

Icon 9 posted      Profile for kimmie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My 9 y/o daughter sees Dr J and has been treating with him for 3 months. She was doing amazing. She developed diarrhea and we stopped all her ABX until her stools returned to normal.

She is on great probiotics...florastor, theralac and kefir. Her stools returned to normal so we slowly introduced ABX one at a time. Within 5 days...stomach pains, loose stools, cramping.

My PCP sent her to the hospital for c-diff studies. On friday I called the hospital to see if they had the results...they said yes. Although they could not give me the results...the lab girl said "ok, I'm looking over my shoulder...your daughter needs to see your doctor asap". I took that as she was most likely + for c-diff.

I will know for sure Monday am. In the mean time, she is only on tindamax for possible c-diff and probiotics.

My question is this: if it is cdiff, how do I treat the lyme? I have had nightmares of her just going downhill and not being able to help her. Plus, I just saw the movie UOS so I am really upset now.

Does anyone know or have experience with this? Her lyme is not terrible, but she was not near the end of her treatment either.

THanks.

Posts: 747 | From Utah | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joalo
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12752

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joalo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Up.

--------------------
Sick since January 1985. Misdiagnosed for 20 years. Tested CDC positive October 2005. Treating since April 2006.

Posts: 3228 | From Somewhere west of the Mississippi | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cactus
Member # 7347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cactus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kimmie:

My question is this: if it is cdiff, how do I treat the lyme? I have had nightmares of her just going downhill and not being able to help her. Plus, I just saw the movie UOS so I am really upset now.

Does anyone know or have experience with this? Her lyme is not terrible, but she was not near the end of her treatment either.

THanks.

Kimmie, I know we've talked before, so I didn't want to jump in and respond right away... was hoping you'd get another perspective.

My thought here would be treat the C Diff, then follow Dr J's advice. Your daughter is in good, good hands.

This is *not* the end of your daughter's Lyme treatment. Don't go there in your head. I know it's hard not to do that.

(I understand why you're asking, and I'd be asking the same thing, I just want to reassure you that this is *not* the end of the road Lyme-treatment-wise. This is a bump in the road.)

Hang in there, and hoping you'll get someone with more experience with treating Lyme post-C Diff soon.

--------------------
�Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?� - A.A. Milne

Posts: 1987 | From No. VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kimmie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kimmie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you.

Her stool was + for c-diff...luckily caught fairly early as she never developed full blown diarrhea...just soft stools and lots of cramping.

Dr J is treating her with flagyl and then will repeat her stool test. The office told me that c-diff was not uncommon.

Posts: 747 | From Utah | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blinkie
Member # 14470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blinkie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure Dr J has a good plan in place for this, I'm certain he's seen it before.

Would you mind sharing what he does for her once you know?

I've been there and now on IV vanco, flagyl and have no problems with some of the anti-babesia meds so there are still a lot of options. BTW-I'm doing great! Hopefully pushing towards remission soon.

Posts: 1104 | From N.California | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kimmie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kimmie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blinkie good to hear. I will let you know. She sees him after Christmas and I am planning on keeping her off meds till she sees him.
kimmie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25547

Update...

We saw Dr J. He was there alone as the office was closed because of the blizzard.

He suggested she do daily flagyl and zith and watch closely for signs of returning c diff. Obviously probiotics which she was on before hand.

My PCP suggested bicillin weekly and oral flagyl. Not sure which direction to go in.

Blinkie or Cactus, any thoughts?

Pantsinsocks
Member # 7440

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pantsinsocks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is an article in New Scientist on a doctor treating intractable C. diff with facecal transplant. Sounds gross, but aparently restores the flora...and quickly. NewScientist.com and search on it.
Posts: 67 | From Fredericksburg, VA USA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5vforest
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5vforest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pantsinsocks:
There is an article in New Scientist on a doctor treating intractable C. diff with facecal transplant. Sounds gross, but aparently restores the flora...and quickly. NewScientist.com and search on it.

Sounds interesting, but you need a subscription to read articles, which I doubt many of us have.

Can you post the article here?

Posts: 340 | From san francisco, ca | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyme in Putnam
Member # 11561

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lyme in Putnam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My son was 9 also when he went to dr. Jones and got c-diff. He put him on flagyl for 5 days. It kicked in after the x2 nd pill. He went back on antibiotics again and some time later got it again. Treated and he's fine. He was on antibiotics total 3 years till he was 12, he's 15 now and symptom free since 12. My son was on zith and plaquil.

--------------------
He took u to it, He'll you through

Posts: 2837 | From NE. | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheryl777
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheryl777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've recently read that kefir isn't sufficient because too many probiotics are lost going down the stomach.

As instructed, I am taking acidophilis and bifidus at the highest count possible. That would be two capsules twice a day of Natural Factors 10 billion active cells a couple of hours away from antibiotics. The refrigerated probiotics are the best.

I'm also taking saccharomyces boulardii which kills candida. It can be taken with antibiotics.

As far as the lyme, patience is a virtue. Good luck.

Posts: 258 | From Spokane, WA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement