LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Some beleive that Lyme is Autoimmune disease?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Some beleive that Lyme is Autoimmune disease?
jenn
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21687

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jenn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I myself have had Autoimmune issues for the past 15yrs...Type 1 Diabetic, Hashimotio thyroid and suspect raynauds syndrome as well. All Before having Bulls=eye rash and LYME.

What I understand about autoimmune is that it is a condition that your body is fighting itself because it can't recongize bad cells from good cells....so it just keeps fighting EVERYTHING!

Lyme is a Bacteria! So, why would one say it is an autoimmune?? Maybe, it can trigger autoimmune response, but one does not get Lyme from having autoimmune.

Lyme I beleive can trigger autoimmune diseases, due to the stress of the body fighting and fighting.

I've seen many many posts...(not here) that beleive that Lyme is autoimmune?? and I'm confused?

Posts: 501 | From Hudson Ticky Valley, NY | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peter j
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11825

Icon 1 posted      Profile for peter j     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think lyme can cause auto immune problems...
Posts: 275 | From Home | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jackie51
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 14233

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jackie51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My raynauds syndrome has mostly gone away with lyme treatment.

You are correct, lyme is a bacteria. It does play havoc with your immune system.

Posts: 1374 | From Crazy Town | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Autoimmune was a name given to the body's cytotoxic reactions. There is now in my mind no such thing.

There is only the ability of stealth infections to hide the real causes very well.

It is coming to fruition as we speak.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21087629 2010 Nov 15
AbstractOBJECTIVES: The
aim of this study was to evaluate the chemokine CXCL13 and C6
antibodies separately and in combination in paired serum / cerebrospinal
fluid (CSF) samples in the laboratory diagnosis of Lyme
...neuroborreliosis (LNB).

METHODS: A
large retrospective material with paired serum / CSF samples from 261
patients with clinically suspected LNB was investigated.

Patients were
divided into three main diagnostic groups based on original results of
CSF pleocytosis and intrathecal anti-borrelia antibodies (purified
flagellum).

Levels of CXCL13, albumin, total IgM and IgG in paired
samples and C6 antibodies in CSF were compared across diagnostic groups.

RESULTS: A
sensitivity of 99% and a specificity of 96% were achieved for CSF-Serum
CXCL13 ratio.

CSF-C6 antibodies performed with a sensitivity of 99% and
a specificity of 88.0%.

A combination of CSF-Serum CXCL13 ratio and
CSF-C6 antibodies, evaluated in parallel, revealed a sensitivity of 99%
and specificity of 98%.

CONCLUSIONS: This
study confirms CSF-CXCL13 as a reliable marker of LNB and suggests
improved diagnostic performance especially in children with possible
LNB.
-----------------
.http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19805441 CXCL13 elevations in MS.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19774453 CXCL elevations in Lupus.

http://tinyurl.com/28ldqpu
CXCL elevation in Autism.
--------------
The only difference may be what all else is hiding in the DNA of the stealth organisms and the body. Thats one thing for sure---we have millions of possibilities and no funds to find out.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Done in Europe so our CDC will ignore it. Also, this requires a spinal tap which is not going to be popular with anybody. And those of us who don't produce antibodies are not going to be helped by a test that looks for antibodies.

It is encouraging that someone is looking for evidence beyond antibodies, such as the chemokine listed here.

Sweden has a poor record for detecting and treating lyme. A lot of their citizens are leaving the country for treatment.

BTW, I agree that there is probably no such thing as autoimmunity without infection.

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
I also say that there is probably no such thing as an "autoimmune" assault without infection.

Diabetes is often caused by infection. Heart Disease and many other "conditions" also often have infection connections - if anyone would actually take the time to look.

This book is specific to lyme and other chronic stealth infections.

In addition to outright damage from infection, the author discusses the endocrine connection and effects of STRESS on a person with such infections, raising the caustic stress hormones. In turn, elevated stress hormones can cause a lot of damage.

You can read customer reviews and look inside the book at this link to its page at Amazon.

http://tinyurl.com/6xse7l

The Potbelly Syndrome: How Common Germs Cause Obesity, Diabetes, And Heart Disease (Paperback) - 2005

by Russell Farris and Per Marin, MD, PhD
-

[ 11-22-2010, 02:17 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dyna3495
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24126

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dyna3495     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ageed !
Posts: 160 | From Mid-east USA | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dyna3495
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24126

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dyna3495     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
agreed!
Posts: 160 | From Mid-east USA | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Topic: Some beleive that Lyme is Autoimmune disease?

About the "Some" -

You know, I've wasted a lot of time because "some" believed this or that and I tried to find details to change their mind. I don't have to prove anything to anyone. We are all to busy too worry about the "some" who just don't get it. Move on to those who do and who can help us with key information and suggestions.

Now, that said, lyme does alter the immune function - but in reverse of what would be expected. Immune DYSFUNCTION is a huge matter for lyme patients. Borrelia causes immune dysfunction as part of the way it operates as a stealth pathogen.

It's the stealth part that "some" don't get when they jump the gun to say that lyme is autoimmune because they don't see the distinctions.

Simply, if thinking in terms of two main immune sub-systems, one part is in overdrive (but ineffective because it can't find what it knows is there because lyme hides and morphs) - and another part is so overwhelmed from trying that it can be nearly shut down. It takes a lyme-educated doctor to know how to gently work with the immune dysfunction caused by lyme.

IMMUNE SUPPORT is still very important, even if the immune problems are caused by infection.

The article below is just one that gets into the basics about Th1 & Th2. This is not specific to lyme but, still, a good basic start for this subject. He does discuss stealth pathogens, in general. Lyme is just one of many "stealth" infections.

A STEALTH infection can be described as hidden from normal processes of detection (or tests are not yet developed) but powerful, destructive and tricky beyond belief. The ability of hiding from the immune system is a prime method of operation for stealth infections.

Sometimes, with cycles of action and dormancy.

"Stealth infection" is not a term that most doctors will be aware of but a term borne of research in the field of CFS and Tick-Borne Infections or Cpn, HHV-6, etc. Usually "stealth" infections are chronic due to the inability (or incompetence) with quick diagnosis. But they are also notorious for being very difficult to treat in the normal way most doctors think or work.

============================

http://www.anapsid.org/cnd/diagnosis/cheneyis.html

Balance the Th1/Th2 Immune System (From a talk by Paul Cheney, MD)

Excerpt:

. . . He believes this is a very scary situation. Patients are Th2 activated and Th1 suppressed. . . .

. . . The virus deceives the immune system into thinking that the threat is coming from the opposite side! So the immune system shifts from the Th1 mode that attacks viruses to the Th2 mode that does not. The virus increases its chances of survival by diverting the immune system. . . .
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Backing up to the original post -

Q: "Lyme is a Bacteria! So, why would one say it is an autoimmune??" end quote.

Well, the IDSA and CDC (and insurance companies) want us all to go away. They don't WANT to learn more and arrive at a deep understanding. They don't WANT to treat lyme. So, it's easier to say it's autoimmune and send us on our way.

Then - since steroids are the most common treatment for "autoimmune" conditions - they douse "autoimmune patients" with steroids and we get MUCH worse than ever and they can then say it's all just in our heads as they slam the door.

When any patient has trouble with steroids, it then becomes a psychiatric diagnosis because most doctors don't know that steroids feed lyme, etc. (because they don't even believe in lyme or understand its nature).

One interesting note is that for some "autoimmune" disorders like lupus, the use of antimalarial drugs (which also treat babesia, a tick-borne infection that often goes with lyme) are having positive results.

There are a few researchers or Long Ranger doctors who are treating some other autoimmune disorders with trials of antibiotics. Again, when degrees of success are seen, it seems never to be attributed to an undiagnosed stealth infection but to "for some undetermined reason" or other factors.

The rheumatologists and immunologists just can't seem to wrap their collective heads around the complexity of chronic stealth infections.

The complexity of lyme is staggering. Most doctors just don't want to learn - and it does take years to get up to speed even for those who do.

I think it comes down to laziness more than anything. Doctors already trudge through grueling hours in medical school, internships and residencies. I can understand why they don't want to go back to school to learn more - but, as a lyme patient, we are then failed, and my life then fails. We do need more.

And medical school don't teach lyme. This is a huge problem. Oh, some may spend five minutes on it. It should be its own sub-specialty, really.

For most doctors to go to the ILADS site and really study it, well, that's just too far out of the mainstream for them. It's not IDSA. It's not CDC. So, they just take up the same fight and ignore it.

Many good doctors are frustrated with being told they can only spend 10 minutes with a patient. Can't get far in 10 minutes so it's easier to hand steroids out like candy and tell people to just go away. It's easier to believe everything is just an autoimmune problem.

I hope that helps you understand the political nature of all this a bit better.
-

lymednva
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is possible to have latent Lyme, or Lyme with slowly developing symptoms, so that the other issues develop before you realize you have Lyme.

That was the case for me. I have had it for over 45 years, but was only diagnosed in 2006. Prior to that there were other issues developing, like a multinodular goiter in 1986.

So you could have had Lyme long before it presented obviously to you.

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes lymednva, but then its usually called Alzheimers.

We need so much research into the organisms, virus', parasites that are associated with the borrelia to help figure out what separates the patients with say MS from Lupus...

We must know how the immune system behaves in all, but its hard to get them to do this with us not sick, no funds, and denial by big business we have anything as capable as borrelia on earth...

--------------------
IgM neg pos

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Part of the issue with stealth pathogens is that there's a big possibility that they are bio-warfare. Doctor's don't want to deal with this aspect of the equation. I can't really blame them.

Many Lyme doctors are harassed & there's actually about 100 microbiologists who have died suspicious deaths in the recent past.

It doesn't really present a good environment for effective treatment. Some people get lucky & get well but many remain ill despite of treatment.

Alzheimers can also be caused by heavy metal poisoning. Take a look at what they are spraying in the skies on most days...

Thanks Keebler - you always post good info!

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Member # 18524

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2000/06/000602073005.htm To our surprise, we found that B. burgdorferi doesn't even require iron. In fact, iron is extremely toxic to it."

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/11/101123174332.htm Environmental Toxin May Play Important Role in Multiple Sclerosis: Hypertension Drug Possible Treatment

ScienceDaily (Nov. 23, 2010) � Researchers have found evidence that an environmental pollutant may play an important role in causing multiple sclerosis and that a hypertension drug might be used to treat the disease.

So you reckon we get rid of the stuff borrelia like and in turn reduce our toxic load?

--------------------
IgM neg pos

mojo
Member # 9309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is listed in the American Autoimmune Society blah blah (cant remember the exact name).... as an autoimmune disease on SOME of their lists.

I got some literature from them. I took their quesionnaire on line and in the drop down for which a/i diseases you have Lyme is listed.

Posts: 1761 | From USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bugg
Member # 8095

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bugg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Jenn-

I think I'm in the minority opinion in that I do think lyme can setoff some sort of immune dysregulation/autoimmune issue....

It's like your body's inflammatory system gets "setoff" and cannot calm down....I don't think they have fully identified the inflammatory cytokines (immune system) markers that lyme sets off....I know there are some researchers at Columbia Tickborne Research Center currently looking into this....

I don't necessarily think that "active" lyme and autoimmunity have to be mutually exclusive concepts....

I think research needs to continue in BOTH areas (active infection and autoimmunity)....

I am one of those patients who never got well after years of treatment with IV and oral abx and HBOT..etc... I know others in this same boat...We are turning to looking for things to calm our immune systems down like LDN, low dose cortef, or higher doses of Vitamin D.....

...Respectfully, I realize this is a minority opinion but I hope you don't mind me sharing my point of view...

Posts: 1155 | From Southeast | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
onbam
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That all our symptoms are strictly autoimmune is the official government explanation, and a load of crock. While Lyme can cause autoimmunity, what you most need to treat is still the underlying infection.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't really know too much about autoimmune illness. I don't know if that's what I have or if it's from Lyme.

Some of us have been discussing why we don't get colds as much after encountering Lyme. Someone mentioned the LYMErix vaccine & I came across this article which is quite interesting...

http://www.canlyme.com/lymerix.html

This may shed some light on the issue. I don't know. Seems that whatever Lyme is - it does do something to the immune system.

Like I said, I'm not a scientist so this stuff is a bit complicated for me to understand. Some people who got the vaccine did get autoimmune dysfunction which probably relates to Lyme itself somehow.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

fyi-

LYME VACCINE LINKED TO AUTOIMMUNE ARTHRITIS
By Alex Otto in the January 200l issue of PHARMACY TODAY

http://www.whale.to/v/lyme.html

The concerns about arthritis hinge on human leukocyte antigen DR4 (HLA-DR4),
a surface protein found on white blood cells in about 10% to 30% of the pop-
ulation. It is easily detected by a blood test, but the test costs $300.

A class action lawsuit has been filed against SmithKline by scores of
patients who developed severe arthritis after getting the vaccine. The suit
alleges that LYMErix triggers degenerative autoimmune disease in
HLA-DR4-positive patients and that SmithKline knew of the association before
its vaccine was approved but failed to warn doctors.

----

I don't know anything about this "DR4 (HLA-DR4),
a surface protein found on white blood cells in about 10% to 30% of the pop-
ulation".

This quote was about the vaccine but it also may be something present in Lyme itself. I'll have to do more studying...

Just thought I'd post it here in case anyone has more info.

sparkle7
Member # 10397

more...

http://arthritis.about.com/od/gene/a/HLAgenes.htm

HLA-DR4 Gene

The HLA-DR4 gene, which has been associated with rheumatoid arthritis, has also shown involvement in Lyme disease. Lyme disease is caused by a microorganism which is transmitted to humans via deer ticks. Among the symptoms which can develop from Lyme disease are:

joint pain
inflammation
arthritis

People who have the disease more severely and do not respond well to the antibiotic treatment are more often found to have the HLA-DR4 gene. It has been theorized that once the microorganism moves to the joints, the immune response against it cross reacts with the person's own joint tissue in people who have the HLA-DR4 gene, leading to an autoimmune reaction.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement