LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » If you suspected Lyme in a child...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: If you suspected Lyme in a child...
unsure445
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15962

Icon 1 posted      Profile for unsure445     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you suspected Lyme in your child would you bother with a standard Western blot ordered through a pediatrician?

My son does not have serious symptoms but enough come and go minor symptoms that I am beginning to wonder.

I couldn't live with myself if I found out down the road he was ill for many years and brushed it off.

Plus this morning I said to myself "if he mentions one more odd symptom I am getting him tested" and about 5 minutes later he got up and said his eye was burning.

Thoughts? Maybe I should go straight for the Igenex test...

--------------------
unsure445

Posts: 824 | From northeast | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jackie51
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 14233

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jackie51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am having the Western Blot done through Lab Corp for my daughter for her sore knees and forgetfulness. She also has periodic heavy emotions and irritabilility. while she is in an extremely heavy hormonal stage of her life, I think it's a little extreme.

If you can afford the Igenex, I say go for it. You'll sleep better.

Posts: 1374 | From Crazy Town | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
unsure445 sometimes it can be very hard to find in kids.

If you suspect it I would go to a great LLMD who can help you get the best results on testing as well as knowledge they have for other signs and symptoms you do not see everyday.

There are other signs in the body, on the body and many neurological tests that can tell a tale to a trained eye that others never look for...Trust your instincts.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the3030club
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21898

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the3030club     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If your child has heathcare go to the ped. and get the WB in addition to going to the LLMD for the same as well as a clinical evaluation.

You said: "I couldn't live with myself if I found out down the road he was ill for many years and brushed it off."

But don't forget, on the flipside you have a responsibility to make sure your child isn't falsely treated. It can be just as harmful.

Posts: 339 | From Outer Space | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unsure445
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15962

Icon 1 posted      Profile for unsure445     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for the replies.

If my son was really tired I think it would be a no brainer but he isn't. The few people I know who's children have had lyme all state that their kids were really tired.

BUT, his knee sometimes gets a little swollen, a few times he has said his neck and back hurt, and he never can fall asleep at night, even after a full day of sports. Every once in a while he says he gets a "shocking pain" which I have mentioned to the pediatrician and they don't think much of it.

My husband thinks we should begin with the pediatrician and go from there. If I do get a negative Igenex test I would not treat clinically unless more symptoms began. As 3030 mentioned this could be harmful.

Aplejack, can you request a test be done through Labcorp at any hospital lab or is it through a LLMD?

I guess if I am writing these posts my gut is saying don't wait any longer.

--------------------
unsure445

Posts: 824 | From northeast | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jackie51
Member # 14233

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jackie51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If your pediatrician gives you a lab slip, you'll probably be going to Lab Corp or Quest, I think. Whatever your insurance pays for, then do that first. You may have to push your pediatrician to order the Western blot. most will screen using the Elisa, which I've been told is pretty useless. Do you know much about testing?
Posts: 1374 | From Crazy Town | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momofthree
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19490

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momofthree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please do something right away. I am living with the result of "waiting" for more symptoms with my 18 year old. He is now dropping out of his first year of college to move home and start treatment.

His Igenex test was neg. only 41 band showing, but he had the bart rash on his back. If I had gone with my gut last Nov. he would be a year into treatment instead of just starting now.

He was never tired and never had any aches but now he is experiencing extreme brain fog and panic/anxiety attacks.

Follow your gut!

Posts: 303 | From green bay, wi | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter had learning disabilities, headaches and one knee hurt. I took her to my LLMD next time I went in order to have her tested. She had an ambiguous test, so we did an abx trial. She responded to treatment.

Her treatment was relatively short because we caught it before it was really bad. After 5 months she was symptom-free, so we treated two more months, then switched abx and treated a month longer.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ktkdommer
Member # 29020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ktkdommer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am in agreement with the previous posts. I wish I had known earlier. If just one person had said Lyme during the 3 years we searched for answers. My thought that I share with others is: for $200 you can have Lyme ruled in or out if you test through IGeneX and do their Western Blot IgG and IgM panels. It was the best money I ever spent. My sickest is on his way to recovery and it could have happened by in August of 2007.

--------------------
Things are never dull. After 3 fighting Lyme, 2 are in remission. Youngest is still sick, age 22. He has new diagnosed Chiari Malformation and Ehlers Danlos Syndrome.

Posts: 1366 | From Perrysburg, Ohio | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unsure445
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15962

Thank you parents for your insight!!!!

I am getting right on this. When I picked him up at school today he said his eye is still burning.

Momofthree, I hope your son has a smooth and quick recovery! Its hard to know what is what with this disease.

Happy Thanksgiving!

--------------------
unsure445

sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have done all my Western Blots, 3 of them through labcorp. Ins paid for all of them.

If you get one done by your pediatrician, just make sure to get a copy of the test result to take to a LLMD.

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jlp38
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27221

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jlp38     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd probably go to a doc who does muscle testing first. I think that's as reliable as labs. Once I get myself feeling better, I think I will test my kids. They're not really sick but I think I may have been carrying lyme when I was pregnant so it just seems smart to test them.
Posts: 707 | From Colorado | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tick battler
Member # 21113

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tick battler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have three young children that I had to diagnose myself. The pediatrician was of no help. Their symptoms came slowly and subtly and one of mine showed no fatigue. Insomnia was a big problem as well as light sensitivity, hyperactivity, and random pains like your son is having. The pains would only happen once a week or so.

I wish I had treated all of my children earlier. We are in the third year of treatment and they are much improved but not there yet. My daughter is the best off because she is my youngest and I knew what to look for. So hers was caught much earlier. I asked my LLMD to treat her as a trial even though he was not sure she had it. She never had a positive lyme test but later into treatment had positive babesia and bartonella tests.

tickbattler

Posts: 1763 | From Malvern, PA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
deerose
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27484

Icon 1 posted      Profile for deerose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
those shocking pain things he has?

I have them and not before lyme & bartonella.

--------------------
Not everything in life that can be counted counts and not every thing that counts can be counted...Albert Einstein

Posts: 208 | From Northeast | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfed Out
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23727

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfed Out     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I don't have much to add, cause everyone is in sync here.

Just wanted to say, I might have had Lyme since I was 14. And, the first potential symptom was my anger tolerance was gone, and I wasn't sleeping normal hours anymore.

It can start so early with practically minimal symptoms. 13 years later, I'm out of work for 2 years.

Posts: 829 | From MD | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unsure445
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15962

Thank you all for sharing your experiences. Making an appointment today for an Igenex test. I thnk if I start with a standard Western Blot and its negative I will still be wondering anytime he has any potential symptoms due to the inaccuracy.

Muscle testing sounds good but I am not that familiar with it and don't know of any practitioners.

--------------------
unsure445

jecati
Member # 26700

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jecati     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Had my DD test two weeks ago through her reg doc, so the doc calls today and says that LabCorp needs a diagnosis on her...and the doc is real gun shy about the whole thing, she said shes going to have to put down that the parent requested the test, not the fact that my DD is exhibiting several symptoms...

Migraines, auras, eye lid swelling/pain, tremors, short term memory is non existent, fatigue

Waiting on the call back, not sure if this is strictly a doc issue or the fact that my DD is on state insurance.

Either way, I WILL be getting a WB through Igx after all this...just have to find a doc that will do it.

Posts: 83 | From NC | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement