LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Car sick

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Car sick
jac123
Member # 28247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jac123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any one have anything to help with car sick

been taking my meds,now all of a sudden I cannot

be passenger in car.I get so car sick....This

just started.Im only 8 miles from town and If I

dont drive I am so close to pulling over on the

road.Then I cant even go in the store for my

groceries.Never had this before.Its aweful

Posts: 72 | From illinois/wisconsin | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
The ear stuff has been my main challenge. Here is what helps me:

GINGER CAPSULES are often a good help with motion sickness (vertigo & nausea). Capsules are best as it's impossible to achieve the therapeutic dose with tea.

However, if you do not have capsules, you can make some ginger tea even out of your cooking ginger in the spice cabinet. Mix about 1/4 teaspoon in a little water and then add hot water, maybe a squirt of lemon and a bit of stevia. Follow with clear water if the ginger is too (spicy) warm for your throat.

Some say valium or xanax help but it makes me worse and it would be impossible to drive - or really even go out - then. I can't even walk when I take it. Muscles and bladder control is also less predictable with any sedative. Ginger does not have that effect.

Be sure not to let your blood sugar drop.

As a passenger, look straight ahead. If going over a bridge, look at the clear road directly in front of the car. If you can, put a small pillow or towel under your neck.

Don't let the driver get too close to other cars.

Close off the intake vent but still, if too close to the other car in front, their exhaust could get into your car and contribute to motion sickness, too.

Ask the driver to be very gradual and smooth in starts, stops and lane changes.

See if you can get your groceries delivered for a while - or have others shop for you. The stores are very hard on our inner ear function in many ways and your energy is best spent in other ways, anyway. One shopping trip can take a week's worth of energy when the inner ear is stressed.

Even the parking lots can be a challenge with the surprise beeps of all the car alarm locks.

Ask other to not wear colognes or scents around you. Remove and air out any cars that have had air "fresheners" as they very toxic and will intensify motion sickness.

Ginger is detailed on page 2, near the end:
------------

Specifically for LYME patients - lots of details about ears and what can help:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=065801

Topic: TINNITUS: Ringing Between The Ears; Vestibular, Balance, Hearing with compiled links - including HYPERACUSIS

==================

Be very careful. Good luck & I hope you feel better.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are prone to motion sickness, anxiety/panic attacks, consider the cause to be related to a magnesium deficiency.

Ginger capsules or ginger gum helps some people with motion sickness.
Sea Bands help some people. They put pressure on a spot on the wrist.

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
riverspirit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19435

Icon 1 posted      Profile for riverspirit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Homeopathic cocculus may be of some help. It is often found in natural food stores or online.

peace and ease....

Posts: 164 | From North America | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Meclizine. Ask you dr.

I also saw some at Wal Mart (OTC) the other day. Maybe it's in a smaller dose?

How about those bands you wear on your wrist?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sillia
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23994

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sillia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Crystallized ginger (pieces)--although this has sugar in it, which I'm generally avoiding, I keep this stuff around for episodes of nausea and it really helps me a lot. The Australian kind is the strongest/best. I keep some in my bag and chew on some enroute if I need to. I also use this at home if I feel the meds have been too hard on my stomach.

I also find that nausea can be helped a lot by drinking a big glass of water. I always carry water in the car!

Posts: 261 | From Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It helps for me to breathe cool air. Even if I'm cold and wearing my coat in the car I still need that cool fresh air.

You can get Meclizine (brand name Bonine or Non-drowsey Dramamine formula) OTC. Chew one or two tablets to help prevent nausea.

Once I am already car sick there is nothing that really helps until I can get out of the car where I can stand or sit still for a few minutes. Then it takes about 10-15min for the Meclizine to kick in and start working.

For some reason sucking on a piece of peppermint candy can also help you feel better when you are already car sick and nauseous. Try to find the old fashioned candy made with real peppermint. That works the best. Yes it has some sugar but you are only going to eat a piece or two so it is worth feeling better.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jac123
Member # 28247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jac123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks to all of you, your the best!Cant do heavy drugs still working,no choice.Il try the ginger.
Thanks again....

Posts: 72 | From illinois/wisconsin | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement